My husband hates healthy food...help?!?

Options

Replies

• snappyapples
    Options
    Just because you want to change the way you eat, doesn't mean he has too.

I'm not trying to change the way he eats, I just don't want to have to cook two separate meals every night. If we had kids I wouldn't mind cooking one meal for them & something small for me but it's just the two of us & that seems a little ridiculous. I'm just trying to find a way to compromise that will still keep him happy & satisfied without making me continue to gain weight.

Who pays the bills?

Is dinner your job?

If it's your job to cook a good dinner, then cook for him like you always have, and make separate stuff (or alter what of the dinner you eat to fit your macros).

If you're both working then eat separate.

I feel sorry for couples who fight over dinner, that's supposed to be a really enjoyable time, and you're the one making changes and upsetting him.

I just.. can't even wrap my head around this post. Who pays the bill being the first thing to jump to your head? You're the one making changes and upsetting him? Jesus lady, get back in the kitchen.

you-see-that-its-a-kitchen-now-get-back-in-it-sad-hill-news.jpg
  • mrshweimer
    Options
    It typically easier for me to cook for him and alter for me. He loves tacos, so I make tacos with lean meat or chicken and he can have his 6 or whatever he wants and I will have mine portioned and lower calorie tortillas and extra veggies on the side. He loves steak and potatoes which is fine too but I always have my weighted portion and veggies in the microwave. He wants to eat healthier and is pretty picky but he works outside all day every day and he's 23, 6'3, 230lbs so he NEEDS to eat.

I also bake or grill a lot of extra chicken when I make it and shred and freeze or refrigerate it and use that for his lunch or a quicker dinner for myself when the agreement just isn't there but I have noticed he hasn't missed his fried food very much and he only reaches for fast food and greasy food once a week now. I think for him its about quick big portions with flavor so I find my own way to make it work for both of us.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    You married a hunter. He loves meat. He even hunts it himself.

That's a wonderful thing.

He doesn't want vegetarian meals.

My boyfriend and I have the same diet. If he one day decided to drastically alter it, and feed me food (we both cook for each other 2-3 times a week) outside the diet we've shared together for a very long time, it would be upsetting and create unnecessary conflicts at dinner time.

You can cook meat, fry him some veggies then steam the same ones for yourself.

You could actually eat the same things and still lose weight by using portion control and weighing the food. You can eat a salad with your dinner, that doesn't mean he needs to eat one.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    It typically easier for me to cook for him and alter for me.

^this^
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

I'm not trying to change the way he eats, I just don't want to have to cook two separate meals every night. If we had kids I wouldn't mind cooking one meal for them & something small for me but it's just the two of us & that seems a little ridiculous. I'm just trying to find a way to compromise that will still keep him happy & satisfied without making me continue to gain weight.

Who pays the bills?

Is dinner your job?

If it's your job to cook a good dinner, then cook for him like you always have, and make separate stuff (or alter what of the dinner you eat to fit your macros).

I feel sorry for couples who fight over dinner, that's supposed to be a really enjoyable time, and you're the one making changes and upsetting him.

I don't think this is that off base. If you're home all day with no kids and he works a hard physical job he really shouldn't have to come home and cook his own dinner because you won't make food he likes because you're trying to lose weight. Not trying to be all 1950's - but it just doesn't seem fair.

Days I'm home & he works I cook for him. If we both work that day it's every man for himself!
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Homemade pot pie without the crust or maybe half the crust.
    Beef stew
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Ok so my wonderful husband has a super high metabolism & can eat anything without gaining weight.

This is nonsense. It is what overweight people say when they look at someone of a healthy weight munching on a burger.

People who can eat anything without gaining weight - these people dont exist.
    Oh bullspit. We all have a friend that can pound the crappiest food and their waistline don't show it. I have a skinny friend that can eat my under the table. We used to go to Mcdo when we were younger, and this guy would get 2 large fries, dessert and 2 sandwiches. He still eats this way well into his 30's, still skinny as a rail. His brother is more like me, eat a little bit and blimp up.

Personally, I feel lucky that i have a body that gains easily. That has forced me to learn about health, and correct my poor eating habits.

Bullspit? You need to look closer to home. I dont have any friends who could eat piles of junk without adding weight, and if I asked my mates the same question, they would stay the same. I was doing it for a while, and I only went one way.

Metabolism varies to relatively minor detail and never to the extent that one person becomes overweight from eating salads where as his mate gorges on burgers and ice cream and stays thin. This is just sour grapes and frustration from people who cant lose weight so blame metabolism rather than themselves for lack of weight loss.

Growing up my brother and sister ate whatever they wanted and never gained any weight. Instead I gained all their weight and my weight... My nephew is 16 and hasn't gained an ounce, he's skin and bones.

My brother continued eating what he wanted and not gaining weight until he was about 25-30 years old. My sister is still as rail thin as ever, though I know she has to work at it.

I do have a couple adult friends in their 30s and 40s and they eat what they want and I have never seen them getting bigger. So it can happen. It's rare, and few and far between, but it can happen. Just because you don't know anyone doesn't mean it's not true.

They all have to work at it. Metabolism differences are based on activity levels. People that "can eat whatever and not gain" do one of two things. They eat huge meals at once, and then nothing or very little the rest of the day, or they are very active in general.

There are no magic people that can sit on the couch all day stuffing themselves with a conveyor belt of food.

You didn't say that people only had to sit on the couch stuffing themselves.

As I said above, but I'll explain a little further...I do have a couple friends in their 30's and 40's and they eat/drink WHATEVER they want. They are not gaining. It can happen. They go to work, they eat at home or with friends out. They drink beer, a couple of them lots of it. They don't do any intended exercise. They don't go to gyms, they don't workout in their homes, they just live.
  • R_Woodruff
    R_Woodruff Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I was younger the rule in our house was "If you don't eat what's for dinner, you don't eat at all". It worked on me as a kid, not so sure how it would work on a grown man though! lol
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Ok so my wonderful husband has a super high metabolism & can eat anything without gaining weight. He's very southern & literally claims i'm trying to poison him every time I try to cook a healthy dinner.
    lol, I'm sorry, that is just a funny mental picture to me.
    He thinks everything should have fat & grease & the more fried food the better.
    Oven fried is a good idea, and you could always leave your piece unbreaded.
    He also has to have bread with every mean & absolutely refuses to eat whole grains.
    My mom gets the "take-n-bake" rolls from Giant and asks my step dad each night if he wants bread. She then makes 1 or 2 rolls just for him and doesn't eat any herself.
    He also refuses to have any vegetarian meals, he's a hunter & grinds most of our meat himself so it's very lean at least.
    Yay? I like venison but I don't like to think about it in animal form. Make yourself a vegetarian meal and then make a steak on the side. It takes like 5 mins to do a steak right? I don't know because I don't make steak. Whenever I try it is an inedible hockey puck.
    We both love pasta & I got him to compromise on the noodles so now we only eat veggie noodles.
    Barilla pasta with fiber!
    Does anyone have any ideas for any other swaps I can make while still keeping him satisfied? Or any great recipes or sites with recipes that he'll eat without complaint?

check skinnytaste.com awesome site with TONS of ideas.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options

Who pays the bills?

Is dinner your job?

Wife =/= servant.

In our house, I cook and clean. If he doesn't like what I cook, he can make something for himself. I am not a maid, or a servant. I cook and clean because I want to, not because I'm obligated or "owe" him anything.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    When I was younger the rule in our house was "If you don't eat what's for dinner, you don't eat at all". It worked on me as a kid, not so sure how it would work on a grown man though! lol

"If She doesn't eat with ME, then she doesn't eat at ALL!"
    th?id=HN.608019970216233924&w=246&h=153&c=7&rs=1&pe=1&mo=10_30&pid=1.7
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I'm striving for a vegan diet; my husband, son, and his daughter aren't interested. So I've been cooking meat a few days a week and otherwise trying new vegan recipes that the others can use as side dishes if they want. Also, if someone doesn't like what I've cooked, they can fend for themselves.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Check out emilybites.com. She post really great comfort food type recipes. I try new recipes all the time from healthy cooking bloggers (skinnytaste, Iowagirleats, backtoherroots, etc) and hers have the best success rate in my house hands down. Most recipes start with comfort food as the inspiration and make them heathier but honestly, they taste amazing and not healthy....

My personal favorites so far are Sloppy Joe Casserole (that's for dinner tonight at my house), Spagettii Pie, Crock Pot Beef Stew, Chicken parm casserole and chicken parm meatloaf muffins. Her deep dish pizza casserole is great too! Everything I've made from her site comes together pretty quickly too, so it's great for weeknight meals.
  • lauraaugustus6
    lauraaugustus6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite recipe sites. Not all are healthy, but they are all delicious, and you can pick and choose the ones with lean meats and lots of spices to give them a kick without all the grease and fat. :)

http://www.mommiecooks.com/
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say my husband hates healthy food, but he is definitely picky and hesitant to accept change.

Getting him to try vegetables has come down to including them in recipes he already enjoys. He used to hate spinach, but after it started showing up in stuffed pastas, soups, and other entrees he liked, I noticed that he would start including raw spinach on his sandwiches and even started eating salads with spinach. It's been like this with a few vegetables. He still got a long way to go with the veggies, but he has definitely made progress in that area.

As for cooking, I've started using extra virgin olive oil and unsalted butter. He tells me that he notices no difference with these vs. salted butter or corn/canola oil. If he prefers something salty, I resort to using herbs and spices he likes in their places, such as various ground peppercorns, garlic, dill, basil, rosemary.

I hope you guys can find some common ground or compromises. I have a laundry list of food allergies, and between that and his preferences, cooking a single meal for both of us can be an event at times. I enjoy meal time with him, too, and it's so nice for us to just sit down and enjoy dinner without jumping through hoops.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    sounds like my hubby. Here are some tips:
    grind up some black beans into your ground meat as a filler, this way you use less meat, add more fiber and he doesn't know the difference

never ever say the words healthy, always use the terms of new recipe, new food to try. etc. don't say good for you either

they make a white wheat bread, you could always buy it then switch it out in the pantry for your regular white bread:( okay this is how you got to be special ops and keep the old packages of anything you want to switch out. find a time to do this, and then put the new bread, coffee, healthier noodles, whatever it is into the old package. walah: now its secret healthy stuff) I do this a lot, Never let them see or know you do this, or the secreat is out the window.

you can also grind up vegies into your stuff and they wont know.

tacos: you can have a taco salad, he can have it on shells, use the lean meats as bigger chunks, use nonfat plain greek yogurt as sour cream, load with vegies., offer hard and soft shells, low fat cheese.. feel free to swap the packages for these if you must.

hey there is a recipe for oven fries and oven fried chicken ... find it and make it for him.

a note on men:: they do need naturally need more calories than we do. so let him have some extra stuff

do the meal planning yourself. and the shopping too. this way you can get what you want.

try to bread your meats in flax seed and seasoning. its good for you and tastes good too. but like I said don't say good for you.

try to tweek your comfort food recipes for lower fat options.. lilke fried chicken into oven fried chicken, breaded pork cutlets into flax seed breading on them, lasagna has a lot of room to fill it up with tasty secret vegies, lower carb noodles and cheese,

those are just a few things I do.. plus don't be afraid to eat a little differently when you both eat. Save up your calories for the dinnertime meals so that you can both eat the same thing.. but you can also pair a salad with most every dinner (swap out the lettuce for spinach leaves) so he can eat more and you can stay on track. Good luck,, I swear men are worse than kids. At least with kids they have to do what you say.. lol:drinker: Don't stop being a special ops chef, its for the both of you even if he keeps fighting you the whole time. Be strong woman.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    There is hope!!!! My husband was the same way and now he has seen the progress I'm making on my journey and he has recently started working out as well as eating new things and actually liking them. I think the key issue is that I was not trying to change him in anyway but changing myself.
  • grdad
    grdad Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just because he is thin, doesn't mean he is healthy. He can make his own meals and after a couple of days, he'll come around.
  • angiefaychai
    angiefaychai Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I prefer a vegan lifestyle. My husband does not. He is asian and wants his rice with every meal..including breakfast, kid you not. We also have 4 children. What we do is this:

I make at least a 3 fruit breakfast cup for us all. I also will make muffins or homemade granola or such for the kids. Sometimes, they will want yogurt. Whatever...hubby makes his congee out of leftover rice and meats from the dinner leftovers... no prob.

Lunch, I make a large salad for all with chickpeas or beans for protein. Kids and hubby may want a sandwich or bowl of soup. We all have a fruit as well.

Dinner: I make a large salad and two cooked veggies of some type we all agree on. I make a main course hubby and kids will want. Sometimes they are vegan dishes that all love, sometimes not. I choose to sample or not. No problem. Fruit for dessert. And two of my children eat vegan by choice. Two prefer to eat meats with their father.

We all eat as we prefer. No problem. All get plenty of veggies and fruits thereby getting all the nutrients they need. The rest is what it is. You can not force someone to eat. Nor should you. Put the choices before them. Let them choose. They may surprise you.

As for recipes, my kids and hubby love many of the recipes I make that have a meaty texture and taste without even realizing they are eating vegan half of the time. You could try those recipes...such as cottage cheese loaf or lentil loaf or mushroom steaks with mushroom gravy....made correctly, they are flavorful, hearty, nutritious, and filling. My son had to watch me make lentil loaf one time before he would believe it was not "real" meatloaf...And even though I did not trick them into anything, just by sampling, they found new items they love...

I just choose not to partake of his rice at dinner and such. Or anything else I don't wish...such as his fried chicken and such...

Good luck with finding a happy medium...learning how to balance both needs can be tricky, or it can be easy...stay positive and proceed with love...that is how marriage works...:)
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    ^^^ That was my thought, too. Cook what you like, and put a loaf of white bread and a stick of butter on the table for him! :wink: