Fruit Myth... Fact or fiction.

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    So my vegan friend has been trying to convince me that an all raw fruit and veg lifestyle is the way to go but then other people say how the sugar in fruit is sooooo bad for you.
    I don't know what to believe. I love fruit but if it is not going to help me lose weight then I need to avoid it right?
    Is it the case that people with higher metabolisms process the 'sugars' in fruit and turn them into energy and people with slower metabolisms turn the 'sugars' in fruit into fat?

HELP

Oh Lord. First, start educating yourself BY yourself. Do your own research from valid sources. People will confuse the heck out of you.

Eat your fruit, but choose the fruit wisely. Moderation. Pineapple is delicious and CHOCKED with sugar, so you shouldn't eat it all day every day. Apples also have sugar but not in the concentration as pineapples and mangoes. Don't eat 7 mangoes in a week.

Raisins, for example, are great, but concentrated in sugar so you can only have a few. You'd be better off eating grapes because they are more filling. But that doesn't mean you can't eat raisins; just not all the time.

As for raw food, well, if you have to do it, remember to chew your food WELL. Look, eating everything raw is not really realistic and I'm sure is fraught with other health issues you don't know about until you have them.

Princess warrior is right.....If you can't sustain it, don't do it.

But, again, read up on this from trusted professional sources and do what YOU want to do, not what other people think is right for you.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Theres loads of sugar in fruit if you blend them to make smoothies! Otherwise its just natural sugar which is better for you than normal sugar :(

Strawberries help the metalobism, but you can just live on fruit and veg on your diet! Jeeesh! It will be called 's.hit yourself slim'

Does the process of making a smoothie magically make the fruit have more sugar? Other than possibly removing the fiber, I don't think blending fruit is going to do anything like that.

And how is natural sugar in fruit (fructose and glucose, for the most part) different from the fructose and glucose in "normal" sugar (by which I guess you mean sucrose (which is made of fructose and glucose) or HFCS (which is also fructose and glucose))?

Exactly -- there is no difference between fruit blended in a smoothie, sugar in fruit or added sugar. It is the same fructose, glucose, sucrose and all have the same effect on your body.

Your diet should include enough fruits and vegetables to provide your body with nutrients. Cooking often does reduce nutritional value (particularly boiling, unless you also drink the water that vegetables were boiled in), but there is no need to stick to only raw fruits and vegetables.

Everything in moderation... and not too much of that!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, from fruits or a candy bar, except when you eat fruits you get vitamins and fiber which you may not get from a candy bar. Eating either within your calorie range will not make you fat.

You may have misunderstood the sugar explanation: for people who burn a lot of calories a day, sugar is turned to energy (almost directly in the case of high intensity training), for people who do not burn as much sugar (and any calories coming from anywhere, sugar or otherwise) turn to fat.

One thing to keep in mind though. Too much fruits (or any sugar or starch, carbs in general) at one setting may affect your blood sugar. If you have insulin resistance and not aware of it, this could be a bad thing.

Eating raw or cooked both have their pros and cons. You may lose some vitamins from cooking (like vitamin C) but some other useful substances are actually amplified by cooking, either literally increasing or turning into a form that is easier to absorb.

When you think about removing or adding foods to your diet ask yourself 2 questions:

1- Will I still be eating this way 10 years from now?
    2- Would eating this way make me happy?

If your answer is "no" to either of these questions, you are setting yourself up for failure. First you're excited, then you're bored, then you feel tortured, then you binge, then you go right back where you started.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons to both sides:

Cooking food also diminishes the natural life energy, and destroys much of the natural enzymes (your body can also create enzymes, but can only do so much) in your food that are needed to break down nutrients. Eating raw eliminates this problem.
    There is reason to believe that you may sleep better and have more energu and mental clarity, and errr has digestive benefits too...
    This is how your body was orriginally designed to eat, so there are serious health benefits to this.

However, although oyur bodies have no idea that the year is 2014 it has evolved a little more since caveman times and some people argue that cooked foods are a necessity, note that you may need to take supplements on this diet, as we certainly cannot eat raw meat etc on this diet, and foods like Quorn and soy meat often need to be cooked. Many people (including my friend who did this for a year) also find that the very second they start to go back to a normal way of eating they gain weight like crazy, and after a while they (or in this instance, my friend) found that the taste of cooked foods or more processed foods were too filling and unenjoyable, but not in that positive way that you feel like when you have been dieting and allow yourself a treat from your favourite restaurant, only to discover that you cannot eat the whole portion/the meal was too filling etc.

My advice? try Ketogenic or paleo diet, its better designed for 'todays' bodies if you want to be a bit more natural.;

how is "paleo" better designed for today's body when it is supposed to be based on a style of eating from 25,000 years ago?

I would also love to hear the explanation as to how Keto is "better" for todays bodies, as opposed to any other method out there?

Thank you! I was wondering about that comment. :explode:
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit everyday. It has sugar but it also has vitamins….as long as you fit it into your macros your fine.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have a raw vegan diet (allergies, I'm not a "vegan" in all aspects of the term) and I eat about 75% fruit, 20% vegetables and 5% nuts and seeds. I have insulin issues (among a whole host of other things) and eating that much fruit has drastically improved the situation believe it or not! Fruit is so easy to digest that it has taken all the strain off of my digestive system and my pancreas is kicking out normal insulin levels on the diet.

Honestly, there are MUCH better ways of losing weight if that is your goal. I wouldn't be on this diet if it wasn't the only way I could function. I also think that undertaking any 'extreme' (and it is extreme) diet should be discussed with your GP and or dietitian first. The major vitamins are all highly easy to achieve on a fruit based diet, but lots of the micro nutrients aren't so easy and it requires careful balancing for long term health.

Sugar in fruit isn't bad, it doesn't make you fat unless you over eat. In fact NOTHING makes you fat unless you over eat. The thing with my diet is that everything is obviously low calorie so I have to consume a staggering volume to make sure I get enough calories.

I will say though, banana "ice-cream" totally rocks!
  • TheVeganBuddhist
    Options
    Did you hear about that guy who died from eating fruit and vegetables? Nah me either. Probably because fruits and vegetables with a variety of nuts are a flawless diet.

Pre-Med - Future PA

Medical Assistant

Nutritionist

I love education :)
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    So my vegan friend has been trying to convince me that an all raw fruit and veg lifestyle is the way to go but then other people say how the sugar in fruit is sooooo bad for you.
    I don't know what to believe. I love fruit but if it is not going to help me lose weight then I need to avoid it right?
    Is it the case that people with higher metabolisms process the 'sugars' in fruit and turn them into energy and people with slower metabolisms turn the 'sugars' in fruit into fat?

HELP

I can put this thing to rest. I am eating a raw food diet and I eat lots of fruit everyday. I have type II diabetes and all medical advice says to pretty much stay away from fruit, particularly bananas and a few others. I read an article about fat being a bigger factor in diabetes than was originally thought. If you reduce your fat intake to less than 10%, fruit and whole grains will not cause high blood glucose level (BGL). I decided to try it and if things were worse I could just stop. Within 48 hrs I saw my BGL start to drop. By the end of the first week, every check of my BGL dropped below 140, which is what the medical community says the diabetics should be doing. Within 2-3 weeks my BGL dropped down to 100-110, which doctors get ecstatic about. Now I am at day 38 and the last week my BGL levels have dropped down to 80-85, a few times a little lower and a couple times in the low 90s. The healthiest adults without diabetes has a fasting level (like after a full nights sleep) is 75-80 and 2 hrs after meals is about 80-90. Mine is on the upper end of that level.

I eat anywhere from 4-10 bananas a day. I add in apples, mangos, berries, kiwi, spinach, broccoli, kale, lettuce and dates. I go by an 80/10/10 diet. That's 80% carbs, 10% protein and 10% fat. When I started whole grains were still spiking my BGL. Last night I did a vegetable stir fry with short grain brown rice. I used probably too much olive oil and my fat level jumped to 36% for the day. 2 hours after the meal my BGL was 95. Up a little, but still very good. I won't have that meal often, but I feel comfortable allowing a meal like that every once in a while. The other week it was my son's birthday and I allowed myself to have a small piece of cake and 1 scoop of ice cream. My BGL didn't go up at all.

My view is if you keep you fat consumption low, the fructose in fruits have no ill effect, even when having lots of fruit.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Thank you Bloom72 and Veganbuddhist!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons to both sides:

Cooking food also diminishes the natural life energy, and destroys much of the natural enzymes (your body can also create enzymes, but can only do so much) in your food that are needed to break down nutrients. Eating raw eliminates this problem.
    There is reason to believe that you may sleep better and have more energu and mental clarity, and errr has digestive benefits too...
    This is how your body was orriginally designed to eat, so there are serious health benefits to this.

However, although oyur bodies have no idea that the year is 2014 it has evolved a little more since caveman times and some people argue that cooked foods are a necessity, note that you may need to take supplements on this diet, as we certainly cannot eat raw meat etc on this diet, and foods like Quorn and soy meat often need to be cooked. Many people (including my friend who did this for a year) also find that the very second they start to go back to a normal way of eating they gain weight like crazy, and after a while they (or in this instance, my friend) found that the taste of cooked foods or more processed foods were too filling and unenjoyable, but not in that positive way that you feel like when you have been dieting and allow yourself a treat from your favourite restaurant, only to discover that you cannot eat the whole portion/the meal was too filling etc.

My advice? try Ketogenic or paleo diet, its better designed for 'todays' bodies if you want to be a bit more natural.;

how is "paleo" better designed for today's body when it is supposed to be based on a style of eating from 25,000 years ago?

I would also love to hear the explanation as to how Keto is "better" for todays bodies, as opposed to any other method out there?
    AND how sugar from fruit is better than sugar from non-natural sources!

AND GO!
  • hotrodzarate
    hotrodzarate Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am actually realizing that maybe I am eating too much fruit. My husband makes a heathy smoothie almost everyday since we got out Vitamix (getting his money's worth). He uses about 1 cup Kale, 1 cup Spinach, 4 pieces of pinapple, 1 apple, 1 cup red seeeded grapes and water and ice. We split this smoothie. Then I may or may not have a nectarine with my greek yogurt later. Maybe later an apple with a tbp of raw almond butter. I am a marathoner (and training for Rock N Roll) but recently started bootcamp (still running around 35-45 miles a week). I am now putting on weight (like 4 pounds). I don't even want to log in on myfitnesspal. I feel like such a failure.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Did you hear about that guy who died from eating fruit and vegetables? Nah me either. Probably because fruits and vegetables with a variety of nuts are a flawless diet.

Pre-Med - Future PA

Medical Assistant

Nutritionist

Flawless eh...I disagree...I can a lot of flaws in it especially for me.....first one being no bacon now there is a flaw.
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    It's natural so it isn't that bad for you unless you overdue it. A raw fruit and veggie diet is good for you but some people can't handle it. My cousin does that diet and eats 80% veg and 20% fruit each day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I can put this thing to rest. I am eating a raw food diet and I eat lots of fruit everyday. I have type II diabetes and all medical advice says to pretty much stay away from fruit, particularly bananas and a few others. I read an article about fat being a bigger factor in diabetes than was originally thought. If you reduce your fat intake to less than 10%, fruit and whole grains will not cause high blood glucose level (BGL). I decided to try it and if things were worse I could just stop. Within 48 hrs I saw my BGL start to drop. By the end of the first week, every check of my BGL dropped below 140, which is what the medical community says the diabetics should be doing. Within 2-3 weeks my BGL dropped down to 100-110, which doctors get ecstatic about. Now I am at day 38 and the last week my BGL levels have dropped down to 80-85, a few times a little lower and a couple times in the low 90s. The healthiest adults without diabetes has a fasting level (like after a full nights sleep) is 75-80 and 2 hrs after meals is about 80-90. Mine is on the upper end of that level.

I eat anywhere from 4-10 bananas a day. I add in apples, mangos, berries, kiwi, spinach, broccoli, kale, lettuce and dates. I go by an 80/10/10 diet. That's 80% carbs, 10% protein and 10% fat. When I started whole grains were still spiking my BGL. Last night I did a vegetable stir fry with short grain brown rice. I used probably too much olive oil and my fat level jumped to 36% for the day. 2 hours after the meal my BGL was 95. Up a little, but still very good. I won't have that meal often, but I feel comfortable allowing a meal like that every once in a while. The other week it was my son's birthday and I allowed myself to have a small piece of cake and 1 scoop of ice cream. My BGL didn't go up at all.

My view is if you keep you fat consumption low, the fructose in fruits have no ill effect, even when having lots of fruit.

Probably different bodies react differently. I've had the exact opposite experience. Before I started losing weight I was borderline diabetic fasting blood sugar measuring at around 110. After losing a considerable amount of weight I am now borderline normal blood sugar around 85.

For the past couple of weeks I have been upholding the eastern orthodox fast where most of the days are raw vegan no oil allowed. My meals consist of a lot of fruits and raw vegetables and my fasting blood sugar has been gradually climbing (106 today). My usual diet is in no way low carb. I'm guessing it's the stress of things being harder because I tend to relapse during stressful days, but who knows.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Fruits have natural vitamins and minerals and antioxidants that you don't get from eating processed sugar.

I've also heard it said, "Fruit is nature's way of ensuring you get your fiber."

I like fruit, and feel way better when I poop every day. :-)

Fruit =It's a good thing.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Bloom72. Thanks for sharing. It is interesting to hear from someone who follows the 80/10/10 diet.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Theres loads of sugar in fruit if you blend them to make smoothies! Otherwise its just natural sugar which is better for you than normal sugar :(

Strawberries help the metalobism, but you can just live on fruit and veg on your diet! Jeeesh! It will be called 's.hit yourself slim'

Does the process of making a smoothie magically make the fruit have more sugar? Other than possibly removing the fiber, I don't think blending fruit is going to do anything like that.

And how is natural sugar in fruit (fructose and glucose, for the most part) different from the fructose and glucose in "normal" sugar (by which I guess you mean sucrose (which is made of fructose and glucose) or HFCS (which is also fructose and glucose))?
    Blending fruit cuts up the fiber into smaller chunks, increasing the rate at which the sugar is absorbed, also making it easier to slip in more calories past your satiety mechanism. It also makes it so the food is less likely to mix with salivary enzymes than masticated food. However, i still think smoothies are the bee's knees, and drastically better then some refined sugar. You still get all the nutrients and fiber, even if it is a slightly chopped up fiber.

Right - it isn't changing the sugar at all. It just hits the blood a bit faster, which may or may be what you want.

It doesn't make the sugars in fruit any better or worse than refined sugar. Fructose is fructose whatever the source, and glucose is always glucose. Yes, you get vitamins, fiber etc in fruit, but the question was about the sugar, not the extras.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

AND how sugar from fruit is better than sugar from non-natural sources!

AND GO!
    Because it comes as part of a complete package. Fruit comes with fiber, water, micro-nutrients, anti-oxidants, phyto-chemicals, amino acids.

Sugar is just one micro-nutrient removed from a plant, and then eaten in concentrations not found in the whole foods we have evolved eating.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

HELP

Only become a raw vegan if your ethics, lifestyle etc align with that. I've never done it, but I can imagine it is very hard to do. And for no major health benefit. Sure - eating veggies is good, but it has been suggested that we are cookatarians. Learning to cook our food enabled us to extract more energy from it, and fueled our brain growth.

As to fruit: sugar is sugar is sugar. Eat it, log it. It is good for you.

^^this.

You also have to be very careful with food planning to get decent macros and even all necessary micros.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Pre-Med - Future PA

Medical Assistant

Nutritionist

1 banana pushes my blood sugar sky high. Not flawless for me ;-)

In fact, I take issue with the whole concept of a "flawless diet". Humans are omnivorous. Any "diet" can be done wrong, and I don't think that any one diet is going to fill the needs and resources of any one population. Flexibility, taste, culture, traditions, availability etc etc all have to be factored in.