NOT pregnant

Options

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, all I ever wanted was my very own large knife to cut off the hands that came anywhere near me. I don't understand why people, especially older people just assume they can touch whoever the heck they want when they want. I just read a story on a boy that got suspended from school for pinching a girl on St. Patty's Day for not wearing green. I'm sorry but I am a firm believer that NO ONE has the right to touch me for ANY reason unless I'm married to them, I gave birth to them or I ask them to.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    You should have launched into a performance about your water breaking, contractions, you can feel the dilation (would work best in a skirt), omg it's crowning, and then you give birth to two middle fingers.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

easy for me- babies are gross- I hate talking about them- so I just pretend pregnant people don't exist until they engage me directly- pregnant women creep me out. it's like an alien growing in there.

In for baby shaming
  • pghfitgirl
    Options
    Good for you for sending the email to her! I have received that comment in the past and just slunk away in shame....wish I had the bravery to put those people in their place!!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    there are some people who SERIOUSLY carry all their weight in their belly and forward.

I know a girl like that- and she has told me 3 people have asked her if she was- breaks my heart because she abosolutely looks about 4-5 months along- but I knew better.

you NEVER ask- let them bring it up.

easy for me- babies are gross- I hate talking about them- so I just pretend pregnant people don't exist until they engage me directly- pregnant women creep me out. it's like an alien growing in there.

I'd rather just assume you were fat- that's easier and safer!

Sorry OP- that's so rude- glad you followed up with an email- but I like the "seriously you haven't retired yet!!!" comment- that would have been good ;)

No no, it IS an alien growing in there. :laugh:
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Just here to say I LOVED your response and especially the follow up email. I'm glad you have enough balls to call her out on it, rather than just being upset about it (which is probably what I would have done!) Has the woman responded to you yet? If so please tell me there was a guilty apology...
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I've never understood this. I will never, ever, I mean ever, mention someone being pregnant unless I know for a fact they are and still usually let them bring it up first.
    I met a lady at swimming who was pregnant and she was alluding to the fact that she was. She appeared to be pregnant and she sounded like she was saying she was pregnant. I still played dumb and when she mentioned she wasn't doing other exercises now, just swimming, alluding to the fact she was pregnant, I asked her why and let her tell me specifically because it was because she was 8 months pregnant.

I'm like that .... EXACTLY... DITTO
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    People will know I am pregnant because I am going to have one of those shirts that says "geek inside" or "baby loading" with the load bar under it. Also I will have a dog that will growl at anyone who tries to touch my belly.:drinker:

This happened to my mom. I was in a choir and at one of the functions this lady (whom I remember being huge) asked how far along my mom was. Mom was humiliated. She was a single mom and wasn't seeing anyone (never did till I set her up with her now hubby, lol) and I'm pretty sure the woman knew or should have known this because the choir was a small group and the parents all had to talk to each other. She never wore that dress again and cried when she got home.

I mean how awful would it be for you to ask if someone is pregnant and then say "no, I'm just fat, and thanks by the way for reminding me I can't have kids." That's why I never ask. I think that would be the worse thing to hear.
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You should have launched into a performance about your water breaking, contractions, you can feel the dilation (would work best in a skirt), omg it's crowning, and then you give birth to two middle fingers.

FTW!
  • spdoughe
    spdoughe Posts: 51
    Options
    This happened to my mom when we were out shopping one time.. she asked how far along she was. I could tell my poor mom was so mortified and coudlnt even find words to respond so i just reached over and put my hand on her stomach and said "She's 52 weeks. How's your husband's new wife? I heard she was my age, some people!!"

I'm not suggesting taking the low road like I do.. but sometimes it might make you feel better lol ;)
    i'm sure you look fine, that karama will come back to her some day..
  • 3pisciotto
    3pisciotto Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I carry some of my weight in my abdomen, and I also happen to like pickles, especially deep fried pickles from Montana's. I consistently get asked/comments "oh someone's 'craving" pickles, how far along are you?" I usually look at them and ask stupid, cause if you're going to be stupid enough to assume I'm pregnant without me telling you I am, I'm going to act just as stupid as you. "how far long with what? I didn't know liking to eat pickles might i had to be "along with something"" I usually get responses of "oh well usually pregnant "people" (not women) crave pickles" then they realize the stupid they've spoiled out of their mouth!
    There is a difference between a pregnancy food craving and LIKING food!
  • knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    the rule is, unless you see crowning, you do not assume that she is pregnant.
  • UmmaOfThree
    UmmaOfThree Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That happened to me three times in my life. All three times, I was NOT fat. I'm apple-shaped, so I always have a belly. These days at several pounds heavier (after having 3rd baby), I tend to correct my posture and hold it in during some social situations because the last thing I need right now is someone thinking I'm pregnant and talking to me about it.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I was stuck in the elevator at the hospital trying to visit my dad, and I was in there for a while. I was leaning against the wall, and I was over 200 pounds then, but a miserable old man said "Are you pregnant?" I know he was old, but I was already having such a terrible friggen day (for obvious reasons I just said) and that comment was the cherry on the cake. I was so embarrassed so I haven't told anyone.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    is your profile picture a current one? Because, if so, wow. How could she possibly think that at all? Even still, uncalled for. I probably would have been sent to HR, if she weren't a friend or someone I socialized with.
  • liftingheavy1
    Options
    she is a older women I am sure she meant no harm by it she did not know.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    there are some people who SERIOUSLY carry all their weight in their belly and forward.

I know a girl like that- and she has told me 3 people have asked her if she was- breaks my heart because she abosolutely looks about 4-5 months along- but I knew better.

you NEVER ask- let them bring it up.

I'd rather just assume you were fat- that's easier and safer!

Sorry OP- that's so rude- glad you followed up with an email- but I like the "seriously you haven't retired yet!!!" comment- that would have been good ;)
    You could have answer the OP's comments without adding your own feelings about babies or pregnant woman. Your references about babies and expectant mothers are more out of place, rude and gross that what the coworker said to the OP.
    pretty sure you're far too sensitive for the internet
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I keep my mouth shut most of the time unless I'm 99% positive. A few gals from my church who are super skinny and literally ONLY had a bit of a "bump" I went out on a limb and asked...."any exciting news in your world?" That way, even if they were pregnant they could blow me off with a simple "nope same old same old". But, the 3 times I've done it, I was so sure and they were so happy they gushed about it!

Conversly, my sister was so obese that a close family friend didn't realize she had been pregnant until he saw her with the baby. He saw her at least once a month during the pregnancy. It was awkward when he asked me about it.

So, I guess it *can* go both ways.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of thinking someone was pregnant and asked the "how far along are you?" question. I was about 18 years old and working at a children's portrait studio chain in the mall. I was absolutely embarrassed and mortified. I will never, ever make that mistake again.

That being said... adults should know better. Especially adults who have previously struggled with weight. What gives?!?
  • myjourney_2013
    Options
    The same thing happen to me. A co-worker send me an email saying CONGRAT!!! I said on what...she said, you're having a baby. At that point I felt really bad, I believe that was her intention. She's not the nicest person, nor is she the slimmest!!! SMH People feel like they can say anything these days. I wish they sold filters for their mouths!