Best Sneakers for a Tough Mudder?

Options
13»

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Searching Amazon I stumbled across these -> http://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Mens-Speedcross-Trail-Running/dp/B007SK9V64/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Seems a lot of GOOD comments for using for the Tough Mudder.

I have these shoes and I love them so *kitten* hard! I have not worn them in an OCR yet (my first is Sept 14), but I have used them in the mud to build pig fence and they are fabulous!!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,579 Member
    Options
    i use monkey feet aka vibrams, nothing else
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,579 Member
    Options
    i've done 1/2 marathon in my monkey feet and doing a marathon in november and the pair that i'm using for the run (i have several) are not shredded and i don't feel the rocks and bumps in my experience.
  • saeven
    saeven Posts: 2
    Options
    Anyone know what the best minimalist shoes, or the best shoes for tough mudder type races, are that have a size 16???
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've done many mud runs with my old running sneakers. the biggest problems I had with them was that there wasn't enough traction on things like walls and posts (they're usually covered in mud) They also get really heavy once you go into a water obstacle.

Reebok just released a shoe specifically made for OCR (Obstacle Course Racing). They're called the all terrain, there's the super and the sprint version. The sprint is a minimalist and the super has a bit more padding in it. All the reviews of them are pointing to an awesome shoe for OCR. Innov-8 also makes shoes that are highly recommended for OCR. Icebugs are another favorite in the OCR community. Something with good lugs will help give you traction in the mud, and rock plates in the soles will help keep you from begin stabbed in the bottom of the foot by rocks (especially if you prefer minimalist sneakers).

Since I've come to the conclusion that my OCRs are not just a phase and I plan on doing multiple ones a year I've decided that this year I'm going to invest in a good shoe for it. If you're not planning on making it something that you do all the time then a regular running shoe may be enough.

I have heard from many people that swear by the Vibrams that in the mud runs and obstacles that they don't have enough traction and that they tend to have issues with rocks underfoot too. But if it works for you then have at it!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Anyone know what the best minimalist shoes, or the best shoes for tough mudder type races, are that have a size 16???

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/
  • saeven
    saeven Posts: 2
    Options
    I just got reallllllllllllly lucky and picked up a size 16 new balance mx20v3 from zappos.com ... They only have one left, in one color. Snagged it up!
  • vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I got the Reebok All Terrain Super and they seem like they will be perfect....if only they had fit! I had to send them back, and now they are completely sold out. I hope they hurry - I have a Mudder May 3rd.
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I ran Hard Charge last year and wore a New Balance minimus trail shoe. I worked out great. It quickly and it washed well the next day. I would like to try out the new Reeboks. They look pretty nice.
  • jewilmopo
    jewilmopo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wore salomom speed cross 3. The were great my only problem was that we had a mud pit then 1/2 run that was covered with hay. Next obstacle was a high wet balance beam. And the undersides were so caked with mud and hay I had to clean then out with a pocket knife before I attempted to cross that balance beam.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    OLD ONES!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I run tons of OCRs. I wear Inov-8 Bare Grips. They wash clean, looking brand new, after every race. And it's been through some tough ones, like Spartan, Battlefrog, TM, Civilian Military Combine, etc. I completely disagree wearing old shoes. Sure, do that if you don't want any traction gripping the mud. But I like to have sure footing when I'm racing.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Reebok just released a shoe specifically made for OCR (Obstacle Course Racing). They're called the all terrain, there's the super and the sprint version. The sprint is a minimalist and the super has a bit more padding in it. All the reviews of them are pointing to an awesome shoe for OCR. Innov-8 also makes shoes that are highly recommended for OCR. Icebugs are another favorite in the OCR community. Something with good lugs will help give you traction in the mud, and rock plates in the soles will help keep you from begin stabbed in the bottom of the foot by rocks (especially if you prefer minimalist sneakers).

I have heard SO much negative about the Reebok shoes. They rip easily, they don't drain well, the soles come loose, the traction isn't what they claimed, etc. A lot of people I know tried them, and no one kept them as their go-to OCR shoe.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I wore my Solomon XR misson's for the Tough Mudder and thought they worked great. I personally don't like using old shoes. I would rather use something comfortable with good traction and just clean them afterwards
  • Bostonsoul
    Bostonsoul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Do not use Vibrams...that was a massive mistake. Use a pair you don't mind getting rid of. At the end they will ask you to donate your sneakers, they will clean them up and all, for those less fortunate, and after the 6th mile my Vibrams just didn't support me like I wanted them to. Get something lightweight because you're going to have about 5 pounds of caked on mud just on your feet by the end of the event..and your *kitten* will be DRAGGING.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I used the Salomon Speedcross 3 at the TM I did.
    Bascially, these are great shoes and I was very satisfied.

However, it is important that you get used to them - it took me a good week of running with them to get them right - pulling them too tight led to hot spots on long runs, too loose led to ankle issues.

Great choice but requires a little finesse.

Personally I would not do a TM without a shoe with some cushion - depending on the course you can except a lot of climbing and descents, gravel, sharp points. I need my cush - if you can do a long gravel run on minimalist shoes, great - not for me.

ETA: No need to use old shoes - the Salomons washed out perfectly well in the machine.