WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Michele, thank you for the birthday greetings. I love my DVR especially because there are so many great shows on in the evening and we shut off the TV before 9:00 and then get to watch the recorded show in the mornings or afternoons when we have time.

:flowerforyou: Meg, thanks for the birthday wishes….my day was great and had no unhealthy eating.

:flowerforyou: Sue in TX, thanks for the birthday greetings and the kind words.

:flowerforyou: Renny, I read your post too late to wear purple on March 26 but I am with you in spirit.

:flowerforyou: Anamika, I had many experiences in my life as a teacher when odd decisions were made and I had to make the best of it…..your attitude is inspiring.

:flowerforyou: Cougarose, just find one person to respond to, tell us what’s going on with you and don’t let anything discourage you from participating.

:flowerforyou: Heather, staying away from alcohol is a difficult choice but a very healthy one.

:flowerforyou: Beth, a good friend of mine used to say when asked how things were going, “if things were any better, I couldn’t stand it”

:bigsmile: Margaret, your day at the museum sounds perfect.

:bigsmile: Gloria, congrats on getting your exercise done

:brokenheart: Jane, sorry to hear about your pain.

:flowerforyou: Dinah, keep coming back and join in the conversation.

:bigsmile: I went out to lunch today with the line dance group that goes out once a month……had broiled chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumber………only one person made a comment about my being “disciplined”…..the others are used to me and don’t make comments any more.

:flowerforyou: We have company coming soon for a potluck….Jake made cole slaw, I don’t know what the others are bringing. I’m not logging food or exercise today to give myself some extra time for tidying the house and replying to all of you.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • Kayzoola
    Kayzoola Posts: 60
    Options
    Went to body pump today. The pyracantha came back to haunt me with a sore back from yanking on the darn thing a couple of days ago, so I had to lighten up a little.

I caught the cat trying to bring another live mouse into the garage today. Thankfully, I was able to get the mouse in a watering can and take it to a field nearby. Ugh!

Kim, I made the black bean brownies from your recipe, and my DH had seconds!

Sylvia, your scale pic was onederful!

Joyce, I don't enjoy logging the bad stuff either. Makes me cringe a little, which I suppose is a good thing.

Barbie, you are an inspiration. Healthy eating on your birthday!

Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi girls. Good day for the first day of clinical at a new site…this one is inpatient rehab. I have a great group of students. I did have a bad thing today; I had my first appointment with the new nurse practitioner at the diabetes clinic. I had an appointment in February but the nurse practitioner quit suddenly and they cancelled me. She was very negative, very disapproving of everything I was doing. I even said…all my A1Cs are below 6! That didn’t matter though even though that is splendid. I was so upset I actually ate because of it. I went to Red mango ( a frozen yogurt place) so it could have been much worse, but still. I have never reacted to anything like that before so I am pretty surprised at myself.

Flygirl: welcome aboard!

Lin: always nice to see you!

Renny: I didn’t know about wearing purple! I have to wear blue scrubs but could have found something to wear if you know what I mean!

Anamika; so sorry you are having such stress at work. I hope you don’t have to give up mfp!

Cougarose: just jump right in! Some of us have been here a while, but there are always new people coming aboard. Post when you can so we can get to know you.

Cynthia: good words of advice for Alison!

Alison: are you listening LOL? As far as the golden girls go….I’m Blanche!

Heather: great nsv! Let us know about the xray

Beth: someone (I think Dr. Katy Bug) says she brushes her teeth after dinner and that keeps her from snacking

Tigress: I too have a fitbit and I think it’s accurate….at least it’s consistent. I did have nearly 9,000 today

Kayakcutie; I suggest asking the pharmacist what would be good and not raise blood glucose. I don’t take a lot of antihistamines, but the decongestants really raise mine!

CindY: can’t wait to hear about your new kitchen

Gloria: good for you to get that exercise done!

Katla: let us know what the doc says!

Jill: the canned beans can be rinsed to get rid of sodium too.

Sylvia: what a busy day! Glad the procedure went smoothly

Jane: sending you good thoughts for your knee. I hope you can get some medication that helps.

Dinah: welcome aboard

Heather I have no doubt that your cake will be magnificent!

Kay: nice to see you again

Barbie: isn’t it nice that so many people don’t feel the need to comment on your eating? Congratulations on being consistent long
    enough for that to happen.

OK girls, it’s getting late and 5 a.m. comes early. Take care, Meg from Omaha where the wind is HOWLING around 50 mph.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Meg - sounds like you're having success with daily goals. That's wonderful!

flygirl - welcome!

Anamika - I didn't get those shorts for nearly nothing, I got them for nothing!! Actually, there was $.01 left over from the Kohl's cash but I'm not going to worry about one cent. I can't see how anyone in their right mind would want you to leave

cougarose - you can insert yourself here by 1) pulling up a chair 2) putting your feet up 3) posting. That's IT. Glad to have ya

Joyce - you're so right, resistance IS futile

Meg - perhaps when you first set up your pedometer, you set it up so that your stride is bigger than it probably really is because I would think you'd be getting in many more steps

Gloria - good for you getting your exercise in! That's great

Carol - yes it was me who slept thru my alarm the other day. I think it was Sunday. I did ask Vince to put the volume up a notch, and so far so good. You poor dear having gone thru all that abuse.

Jill - I prefer to use the dried beans if I can. The only thing is, the beans in the can, which is higher in sodium, are more "soft and mushy" so they seem to work better if I need to puree them. How long do you soak your beans for?

Sylvia - what a busy day you've had!

jane - sorry to hear you're in pain. Hope the MRI shows something that can be taken care of

Dinah - welcome!

Heather - you never cease to amaze me with all the cooking and cake decorating you do

Got up, did an hour of a step DVD, then we had a Newcomer board meeting. I don't know, it's probably just me. I'm head of hospitality and so coordinate having people bring in snacks etc. Well, a while ago they had a "breakfast" catered by the restaurant there. Honestly, I didn't think it was much to talk about. But this one lady did everything. OK, I probably should have asked that she include me. But I didn't. Now it seems that next month they're going to have a lunch catered by the same restaurant. I do have people signed up to bring snacks, but I was told that we shouldn't have snacks. I, personally, think we should since not everyone will be staying for the lunch -- but who am I? This same lady is going to take all of this on. This time I asked her "as head of hospitality, please keep me informed". She just said "I really don't think it'll affect you". I have a strong suspicion that she won't keep me informed. They've decided that this time Newcomers will pay for the lunch. If that money is going to come out of my budget, I really think I should be more involved. Plus, we need to know how much to make the check out to them for. It just bothers me, and I really don't know why, that she's suddenly taking over. I mentioned to Vince that I doubt she'll keep me informed, and he agreed saying that she's somewhat of a control-freak person. Update: the president said to me that she will let me know how many are coming that Monday. To me, that's a bit late to be letting the people know if they need to bring a snack. Maybe they won't. To me, this whole thing is just one big mess. But again, who am I? Vince said that he (being on the board) may wind up saying something to the effect that if the money is going to come out of my budget, I should be more involved.

After the board meeting, we went to senior bowling, then bought milk and then home for dinner.

Tomorrow I'm planing to do this DVD called LaLoFit. Honestly, it's one of my least-favorite DVD's. There is just so much dull repetition and his cueing isn't all that great (to say the least). Afterwards, I go to volunteer at the Green Room. A lady at bowling today asked me to be her partner in the senior olympics bowling so I'll need to stop and drop off my application. Then buy more Sudafed mainly because I have a $5 coupon and it's like $6. Then on the way home I need to stop at this church's daycare. Last week I asked them if they'd save their glass baby food jars for me so I need to pick them up.

Oh, this morning I was in the kitchen and heard this strange noise. Vince was on the computer and I just assumed it was a video that he was watching. We went to give Loki his med, at first he didn't come for his treats. Then, when he finally did come, he walked right past them (not like him at all), at first he wouldn't take his treat at all. And on top of that, Vince was petting him and felt his coat wet. We are highly suspicious that he had another seizure. A pretty small one since I couldn't find anywhere where he urinated. Still...I don't know what brought it on.

Someone posted this on facebook and I thought it was cute: "Instead of John I call my bathroom Jim. It just sounds better to say that I went to the Jim first thing in the morning."

Joyce - excited for you, too,. Have a good time at the choir practice.

barbie - your lunch sounds great. The only thing I think would make it better is if there were more veges (but then again, I lately seem to love my veges).

kayzoola - This past summer one time (among lots of times) there was a dead mouse in the pool. I considered myself very brave, I actually scooped it out of the pool and threw it away. Not that I looked, mind you.... I applaude you, carrying a live mouse. I honestly don't think I could do that. Dying to try that black bean brownie recipe. Have the black beans on my shopping list. Last time I made them, I made them in the food processor and it was pretty full so I'm thinking that maybe this time what I'll do is make them in the blender. What did you use?

Meg - so sorry you had such a bad experience with the nurse practitioner. Maybe next time you go you should tell her how she made you feel and how you reacted to it. I would guess others feel the same way, too. She may not even realize that she's doing it!

Michele in NC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot. Will have all day tomorrow to visit with you girls.
    Sue in Tx.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Renny: I’ve been in purple since I read your post.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I was raised that a polite person doesn’t comment on other people’s food choices unless it is to give a compliment. I’m not always perfect in following that precept, although I try.:wink:

Meg: I’m sorry you had a bad experience with the new Nurse Practitioner at the diabetes clinic. I hope her attitude improves and soon. :grumble: My doctor didn’t get any information from the Boise hospital, which I don’t appreciate since I gave them her contact information. She wasn’t concerned, though she did review my medicines. Part of my misery during the car purchase process was my fault. I took a second pill that I shouldn’t have, as it can increase stress rather than reduce it. I didn’t realize that could happen. :noway: That did not occur on the day of my hospital visit; it occurred while buying the car. I plan to call the Boise hospital tomorrow and see about getting my information sent to my doctor here. She did ask me to get some blood work done, which I’ll do here in town in the morning.:flowerforyou:

Michelle: I hope you get your situation with the Newcomer’s organization smoothed out soon. You work so hard for them and should have help and support. I LOVE the idea of calling the bathroom Jim. Very funny! I go to the Jim first thing every morning, and last thing at night. I’m a real fitness fanatic.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Today was actually a better day for me. After we got home from the doctor visit I took a nap and woke up feeling rested and refreshed. I also watched some of my favorite TV programs that were recorded while we were traveling. We noticed a different hummingbird at our feeder today, a Rufous Hummingbird. They’re summer visitors and this is the earliest I’ve seen one here. Our Annas Hummingbirds are year round residents, even in the coldest weather.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Wowsers!!!! I just read my email and I get a monthly newsletter from our local Women's Hospital. They offer a massage program!!!!! I can get a 30 minute massage for $35!!!!!!! They only have 5 therapists so I'm sure, and especially after this mass email goes out, that you can't just get in real quick But I do believe I see a massage in my future. They even offer a 90 minute massage. I'm not sure what they do for 90 minutes but it costs $100.

Really enjoyed the choir practice. I can read music pretty well so I didn't have problems with that but some of the timing I did have problems with. I do a lot of foot tapping to make sure I keep the beat so I don't have any problem when it is in 4:4 or something simple like that but one song was in 6:8. The choir director put me right in front of her. I don't know if it was so she could check my voice out or not. Of all the choir directors I have had in my life I have never had one that is an alto. But she has a fantastic range.

Meg, I wonder if that lady knows that you probably have as much knowledge as she does on the subject??? You really need to let her know how you feel about your relationship.

Joyce, Indiana
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Just marking my spot. Have been too busy with work to even read the posts for about a week.:cry: Miss you all!!
    Deb A in CNY
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: thinking of you.
    Michele: sorry about Loki; I know you’ll do your best. I had a rabbit with epilepsy once. Not a nice thing.
    Meg: :grumble: on the nurse practitioner.
    Katla: if you didn’t know the medication could cause stress, then it wasn’t your fault. :happy:
    Joyce: go for the massage! :smile:

Last night I attended a horse first-aid class again; the last time was years ago. Not much news, but it’s always good to hear everything again and practice bandaging, taking pulses etc.
    Worried about my dog, who’s favoring the foot where a toe had to be amputated a couple of months ago (and which was doing fine). :frown: Going to the vet later today, after working. Still trying to find the time to take my e-bike to the bike repair.

Wishing everyone a good day. :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hello to All,
    I have the hardest time logging my food and exercise. I do OK for breakfast and lunch but once I leave work, I don't get back on the computer. I did a really good work out last night, strength training and aerobic. This morning I got up and did about 15 minutes of exercise and I plan to attend the lunch class here at work. Tonight I have a personal training appt at 4:30 and then plan to do my own cardio again. Saturday I plan to do my cycling and ab class, then out for a day of shopping with DD and grandkids. Saturday night we are going dancing, I am so looking forward to it. We have a pretty big group planning to go, we know and love the band, and it's not to far of a drive.
    I am running behind at work so have to rush off, I hope everyone has a good and healthy day.
    Patty, Cincinnati
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Good morning! The sun is shining!:love: We have two beautiful vases of daffodils on the tables.:love:
    Yesterday I bought new sunglasses!:laugh: I thought of you, Michele, as I had a voucher to get them half price!:bigsmile: They are large black ones with bling "diamonds" down the arms. I like them large so they give good coverage for my wrinkles.:laugh:

I have been agitating myself this morning about the christening cake. It should be easier this time as we have done it before. (DH helped me a lot with things like cutting and trimming it and some fiddly decorations.) Deciding on a colour scheme and theme.:frown: I said I had some daisy cutters and DH reminded me that her second name is Daisy, so that settles that!:tongue: Yellow daisies!
    I had never decorated a formal cake before I took on DGS' S christening cake two years ago. I offered to do it and then panicked! I bought a book which explained the process and gave measurements, amounts etc. I am good at following instructions snd visualising things. I watched endless videos on U tube showing you how to model people and animals. It's not difficult when you set your mind to it. Having done it before will be a great help as my learning curve was almost vertical last time!:laugh:
    So I must reread my helpful book, order the stuff I need from Amazon and make the two chocolate cakes for starters. DGD should be easy to model as she wears a bright dress and stripey leggings. Just got to find out her favourite toy.

Going to sow our chard and cavallo nero seed today. In order to make room for it we have got to dig up a row of sorrel, so I will be cooking and freezing sorrel today. Dinner is Morrocan Lemon Chicken, with fresh spinach. Yesterday I had another voucher so I bought some very expensive Dover Sole for the two of us to have on a special occasion. A couple of Christmases ago we had it for Christmas dinner when we were on our own. We like it that much.:love:

Meg - I sometimes despair of doctors etc when it comes to healthy lifestyles. Our practice is the pits. No wonder two thirds of the adult female population is overweight. No wonder our health service is struggling. There is no encouragement, no promotion of healthy lifestyles. All they do is mop up the sad results. The ill health service. Even the waiting room is depressing. Nothing proactive. Not one doctor mentioned my weight when I was obese. Oh well, enough venting!:grumble: :grumble: :laugh:

Katla - glad your mood is picking up. Squishing our thoughts and reactions always backfires on us. The trick is finding a good way to express how we feel. I have got better at that, but I am not always successful. :ohwell:

Hugs for all fellow knee sufferers! :heart: :flowerforyou:

Love Heather in Hampshire UK
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note while my morning tea brews.

Meg-are you paying for that appt? With A1C at 6 you are doing great!!!! You should have stopped her and reminded her that since you are paying she works for you and you would appreciate a less negative attitude!:angry: My last A1C was 10, I was going thru depression since my Mom passed and all the stress of cleaning out her house and that. I was eating any and all things, you know potatoes, bread, pasta lots of it. Anyway, my doctor didn't yell or get upset and we talked. My first appt with him was an interview to see if I wanted him for my doctor. He told me I still had to pay for the appt and I said "I know" and told him the work for me thing. I told him what I was wanting in a doctor, plain talk, no medical jargon and a few other things. So far so good, the quiet talk, got me back on track, I'm hoping for a 6 or 7 A1C this next check up. Sorry about the ramble, need caffeine

Joyce- we are really lucky to have 3 massage schools here and for $100 you can get 4 one hour massages with students, these are students about to grad and doing their labs. Not bad. I go to another lady for my shoulder, but the others are good for just relaxing.

Back later. Tigress in GA
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning. At least I think it's morning, but I can't be sure since the sun hasn't come up. I was lying in bed trying to sleep since about 3:00 and couldn't, so finally got up about 5:30. Hubby wasn't sleeping either. My mind was racing. Was afraid I was keeping him awake. Didn't sleep the night before either, and had trouble getting through the day.

Yesterday went pretty well. I'm new at this grandma stuff, so am enjoying doing things with the kids even though I feel a little overwhelmed with all the daily chores connected with getting three boisterous kids to all the places they need to be. I may have taken on too much, but my son needs me, so I've got to do it. Hubby went with me last night to take the kids to see their mom and other grandmother. It turned out to be a very good thing for the kids (I've never seen such pure, unbridled joy as when they saw their mom), and I felt bad for being so resentful. If they can forgive her, after all they have been through, then I should be able to. So I wore my happiest face, which turned out to be pretty easy to do, seeing how happy they were. It was certainly worth the little effort it took.

My son's procedure went well. He showed me his chest but I wish he hadn't. It looks like a big bottle cap is stuck under the skin on the left side of his chest, somewhere below the collarbone. It was bruised and looked a little gruesome, but I'm his mom, so that may have just been me. He was pretty sore and still a little groggy from the sedation, so I'm glad he had some time to rest at home without having to deal with the kids. They start his infusions this Friday. His car is still up at the hospital, and he wanted me to take him to pick it up last night so he could take the kids to school this morning, but I didn't think that was a good idea. They told him not to drive for 24 hours. So I'm doing the school time shuffle again this morning. Will see how he's doing after that and maybe take him to get his car. This evening the girls have swim lessons again, so I'll have to do that. Calgon....take me away!!

I haven't been to the gym all week. Too busy and too tired!

Renny, I came home yesterday just long enough to change into a purple shirt.

Meg, sorry to hear about your trouble with the nurse practitioner. I'm leery of those anyway. I went to one at a minor emergency place once and she prescribed some meds. I took the prescription to Walgreens and the pharmacist said "I can fill this, but it would kill you!" There was a conflict with my other meds, which I TOLD her I was taking. I'm glad somebody was paying attention. I'd rather see a real doctor, but it seems like all the docs now have nurse practitioners in their office. My cardiologist does, but it still costs the same whether you see him or her. Can't figure that out.

Well, I'd better get started on my shower. Don't want to be late for grandma duty!

Have a great day everybody!

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Michele:smile: I love the idea of calling the bathroom Jim:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: !!!

Renny:smile: Forgot to tell you I wore a purple bra in honor of you dad yesterday:blushing: !

Sylvia:smile: It sure sounds like you have a lot going on:flowerforyou: ! I`m sure son appreciates everything you`re doing, and the grandkids are loving all the time they get to spend with you:love: !

Cynthia:smile: Hope your fur baby is okay:flowerforyou: !

Tigress:smile: I have interviewed Drs. before too, I feel very lucky that I found a Dr. that I really like:bigsmile: !

Meg:smile: I would have a little chit chat with that nurse practitioner :grumble: , if you still don`t like her, demand someone else:angry: !

Gail:smile: I hope you`re feeling better:flowerforyou: ! I forgot to mention that yesterday:embarassed: ! Sinus infections are no fun:noway: !

Time to get out the door now! Have a wonderful day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny but still cold NC
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hello there!! Nice to see this. I don't get into the "community" area much. Gearing up for my April 10th weigh in on Dietbet.
    Shouldn't be a problem as I am watching the diet and walking 5 miles every day.

Going on a 3 week cruise next month. Plan to find a scale as soon as I hit the deck and watch the calories. Lots of walking and active shore excursions planned. Should be fun and challenging.

Have a great day!!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    OK, was just shaving my legs (it's been a while :laugh: ) and I thought, what the heck is that dent in my calf?? Turned out to be muscle definition! :bigsmile:

Cynthia
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovelies!

Cynthia, congratulations on the muscle definition.

Working on the kitchen and dust today. Have a stuffy nose, probably from the dust!

Have a wonderful day everyone. I will catch up on everyone soon!

Prayers and Hugs,

Cindy in OK:heart::flowerforyou: :drinker: :
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    katla - I was raised the same way about commenting on other's food choices. Maybe it's just too soon to tell, but to me I'm not at all impressed with this new Board. Last year we had decent people on the Board, people who I thought had good input. But I'm afraid that this Board is full of people who are there for their own interests, not the interests of all the members. lol we have a lot of fitness fanatics on this forum :)

Joyce - what a bargain for a massage! I'd take it, too.

Cynthis - sure hope things work out with your dog

Patty - I find that I need to plan out my exercise. I need to do different things so I don't get bored (I have a short attention span), but I'm just not into thinking first thing in the morning. So if I can just look at my calendar and see what I should be doing, then I'm OK.

In a bit of a rush right now. Did an hour of this LaLoFit DVD that I have. Like I said, it's one of the ones that I like the least. He really doesn't give good cues. However, one thing that I do like is the fact that you do something (like a squat) and then hold it for a second or two.

Need to leave in a few to go to the Green Room, then drop off my bowling application, go to CVS and pick up the jars. Tonight I'm supposed to usher at the Green Room. Not sure what it's all about, the shows usually run Fri, Sat. and Sun. I think this is a dress rehearsal for the cast. That's my suspicion anyway.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do the deep water class. Then a lady who does alterations I've asked to bring her pins with her. I bought a pair of pants planning that they'd shrink in the dryer. Well, they shrunk...but not enough. So I'll have to ask her to take them in some. I suspect they need to go from a 10P to an 8P. But I really liked the color

Tigress - we did the same thing when we got our doctor, first met with him when we weren't sick, to sort-of interview him. So far, we've been happy. Hope you will be, too.

Sylvia - so glad things went so well with the visit! Your son is very lucky to have you and so are his children. I'm like you, I'd much rather see a doc. The only time I ever see a nurse practitioner is if it's something that I don't think she/he can't mess up too much. Last time I saw one was when I needed to have a plantar wart removed.

Cynthis - woohoo on the muscle def.

Well, timer just went off. Gotta go to the Jim and then leave for the Green Room.

As the Terminator said....."I'll be back".

Michele in NC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,766 Member
    Options
    Cynthia... finding things again that were buried under fat is providing many laughs here too! For weeks I kept wondering what I was feeling when I was lying down ... asked my husband who just rolled his eyes and said ... your ribs!:happy:

Beth