Most People are Doing *it* 5 Times a Week!

Options
Can you believe it???

I was watching Good Morning America this AM and found out some information that is most shocking!!! They reported that the average American family eats out at LEAST 5 times a week!!! WOW!

How many times do you all eat out and why?

I know we use to eat out more because my kids busy sport schedule and I would get too lazy to cook. Then my hubby would go out by himself and have lunch since we didn't plan properly. What a difference getting off the couch has made for us! YEY us! We aren't average!

Replies

• PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Can you believe it???

I was watching Good Morning America this AM and found out some information that is most shocking!!! They reported that the average American family eats out at LEAST 5 times a week!!! WOW!

How many times do you all eat out and why?

I know we use to eat out more because my kids busy sport schedule and I would get too lazy to cook. Then my hubby would go out by himself and have lunch since we didn't plan properly. What a difference getting off the couch has made for us! YEY us! We aren't average!
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    My wife and I do it about 3 times during the week and about 4-5 times during the weekend. It is ok to do it at your house but there is something about going out in public that makes it more enjoyable.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    The husband and I rarely go out to eat. We like to cook at home. I go out MAYBE once a week with a friend.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we will do it in the car, because it is more effort to get everyone out of the completely ready. I also hate to sit there at a slimy table where the crowds are all over. I always worry about seeing someone my hubby works with and I always feel more guilty if people can see me. I feel that it doesn't *count* if nobody knows. ::sigh:: Besides, I don't want the kids to think this type of habit is okay. Ya know?
  • BEFORE
    Options
    My wife and I can not do drive throughs because it takes to long and with gas being so high. We are just quicker if we go in and do it.

I have learned to like something at McDonalds though...the snack wrappers (grilled of course).
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I use to eat out a lot more. With my family we only went out to eat on special occasions or when we had company. On the other hand, my BF and I would go out a lot, but we have since stopped and started cooking more or getting frozen stuff to eat that are low cal.

I think families that have children who participate in sports eat out the most. I know when I played in HS we did eat out a lot, mostly fast food places. There is no time to sit down and have a family meal. Once school has ended for the day you are off to the game and then don't get home till 10pm. That's when you resort to fast food.
  • BEFORE
    Options
    opps
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    We rarely eat out as a family. Once in a blue moon we might go to hibachi or the local diner but on average we eat at home. Sometimes, if I am out at the mall with friends I will get Subway or something from the Fresco menu from Taco Bell.

I prefer to eat at home. I feel much more in control of what I am putting into my body.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My husband and I will go out maybe 2-3 times a week, mostly on the weekend (we usually do dinner out on Friday, and maybe lunch out on Saturday and/or Sunday someplace like Subway or Panera). He eats out (or the office orders in) for lunch a lot, though, while I've switched to bringing my lunch with me to work almost every day. I go out maybe once every 2 weeks.
  • veracruz
    veracruz Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We rarely go out to eat - perhaps 3 times a month if that. Not only is it so much more expensive to eat out, but we can't totally control what we're putting in our bodies. we have no idea how something was really cooked 'back in the kitchen' or just exactly how fresh it is. Normally when we do eat out it's with other families. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the whole not cleaning up part of eating out - but I just LOVE to cook too much. I love experimenting with and exposing my family to foods from different cultures, etc.
  • MaggieMay1955
    Options
    We rarely do it in the evenings, but nooners are frequent. :love:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Pre lifestyle change maybe 3 times a week...Now maybe 1 every few weeks.
    (Not counting Subway though)
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    We rarely do it in the evenings, but nooners are frequent. :love:

lol You and BEFORE are crackin me up :laugh:
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Friday night is our order out night as a family.

During the work week I generally eat "out" 1 - 2x a week (healthy choices though).
  • ShellyBee
    ShellyBee Posts: 117
    Options
    No way, and no thank you!
    IF we eat out it is on a friday or saturday night.......and only if we absolutely have to!

We love to cook and we love eating as a family and hearing all about eachothers day!
    We are crazy, we sing my daughter does her opera at the table we are polite and use our manners BUT......our table is our family circle and we just talk talk talk sometimes dinner takes an hour...and we are very proud of this!!!
    As soon as clean up is done(which we all chip in and do together)we get out the stroller and walk as a family until about 730pm, just in time for baths and showers...then we sit down and watch some tv before hitting the hay.......

Besides who could afford to eat out like that everyday! Wow, with a family of 5 no thanks!!! xoxooxox
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Wellllll....shows ya my mind's in the gutter once again...:laugh: The topic really threw me off...:noway: :laugh: :devil: :bigsmile: :blushing:

Anyhow....ummmmm...we might eat out once a week. Not every week. But about once a week or something....Not including Subway. I get that for lunch sometimes...ya know when I'm running to late in the morning to make a lunch..:laugh: But now that I'm trying to change my ways, I am more conscious about what I order when we do go out. I do allow myself to splurge once in a while. :ohwell: But before I started this, I would say anywhere from 3-5 times a week. I was average....But not anymore....The Gutter Gang has changed my life...:bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    We used to eat out about 3 times a week but ever since I started watching what I eat, it's down to about every other week or once a month.

You can still eat healthy while dining out.

Here's a website that can help you do that:
    http://www.healthydiningfinder.com/site/

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    We used to eat out sometimes 3x's a week now once a month if that. We enjoy cooking dinner together. It is so hard to judge how many calories are in the take out food.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    LOLOL
    When I first read your heading...I thought..NO WAY....but didn't realize you were referring to eating out

Maybe I am a tad frugal, but we NEVER eat out
    I'm just not a fan and see it as a big waste of $$
    Plus the kids get way too easily addicted to fast food and those darn kids meals...
    I was recently reading that one kids meals has the number of cals a child should eat in an entire day

Seriously though, if we want to order or eat out it's usually pizza..or rarely Chinese

Kim
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    LOLOL
    When I first read you heading...I thought..NO WAY....but didn't realize you were referring to eating out

Maybe I am a tad frugal, but we NEVER eat out
    I'm just not a fan and see it as a big waste of $$
    Plus the kids get way too easily addicted to fast food and those darn kids meals...
    I was recently reading that one kids meals has the number of cals a child should eat in an entire day

Seriously though, if we want to order or eat out it's usually pizza..or rarely Chinese

Kim

LOL...at least I'm not the only one with their head in the gutter...:laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :laugh::laugh: