I abandoned 1200 calories per day, and so should you

Options

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right, the title of my post is misleading. I apologize for that. What I'm trying to say is that if 1200 calories per day is *not* working for you, try to up your intake and don't be afraid to do so. Everyone is different and I'm not trying to undermine those who have been successful at 1200 calories.

Do you mean 1200 gross or net cals?
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    How about agree to disagree - what works for some, doesn't work for others, and visa versa.

For some 1200 works, for others not so much. Age, lifestyle, what you eat (filling foods, or junk), and all sorts of things come into play.

I'm not going to condemn someone for eating more, or less than I do - do what works, when that stops working, change something. Other than that, to each their own.

This. Just this.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I really wish people would just post their experiences and leave it at that, rather than I did it and so should you.

tumblr_m7643jcWcY1rziwwco1_400.gif
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

This post is mainly concerned with the myth that 1200 calories per day is ideal for losing 2lb/week. This is the number that myfitnesspal will spit out at you if you want to lose a lot of weight and you don't exercise much. I followed this 1200 calories/day goal for about 6 months, and I am here to tell you that, if your current goal is 1200 calories per day, you should really reconsider.

First of all, a bit about myself so that you can compare to my circumstances. I am a 23 year-old female, 5'7", and I weight 150 lbs. I am a university student and during the period where I was eating 1200 calories/day, I was not exercising much at all. I have been sitting at the same weight (+/- a couple pounds) for about a year.

While I was eating 1200 calories per day, I was not a happy camper. I was constantly hungry, and I found myself skipping meals in order to maintain that goal. In addition, I was not losing any weight. And I can say with 100% confidence that eating 1200 calories/day for 6 months didn't make me lose a SINGLE pound. I had been sitting at the same weight the entire time. I was fed up, and I started reading into the 1200 calorie/day myth a bit more. I took some advice and I calculated my BMR, which was about 1500 calories/day. I was scared to increase my intake though, because I was afraid of gaining weight.

About 2 months ago I increased my calorie intake to about 1700 calories/day. Guess what? I'm still sitting at the exact same weight. This makes me realize in retrospect how much I was starving my body. I am also much happier now. I am not afraid to eat throughout the day. I can have breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks in between. I have also started working out for an hour per day on the exercise bike in hopes of overcoming my plateau. But the point of this post is that 1200 calories was definitely not ideal for me, and there is a chance that it is not ideal for you. Calculate your BMR and bump up your intake if 1200 calories is not working for you. Your body needs nourishment and there is definitely more to losing weight than limiting your calories. I know that there are already posts about the 1200 calorie misconception, but I just wanted to tell my experiences and try to get the message across that 1200 calories is not something to automatically swear by.
    [/quote

How are the clothes fitting you, performance at gym, or body measurements?

I read comments by experienced folks on this site that they have disowned the scale and now go by clothes fitting/ body measurements and/or their performance at gym or activity.

I would love to hear from you of if you are seeing any positive difference in other areas b'coz someday oneday I may be in your shoes. :smile:
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I did 1,200 for the first month and lost 9 pounds, then put it up to 1,300 when I started exercising and now I am on1,500 to go slower.

I think you can lose weight on 1,200, it just depends on the persons activity and if they're able to cope with so little calorie intake. It depends on the person.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Hi everyone,

This post is mainly concerned with the myth that 1200 calories per day is ideal for losing 2lb/week. This is the number that myfitnesspal will spit out at you if you want to lose a lot of weight and you don't exercise much. I followed this 1200 calories/day goal for about 6 months, and I am here to tell you that, if your current goal is 1200 calories per day, you should really reconsider.

First of all, a bit about myself so that you can compare to my circumstances. I am a 23 year-old female, 5'7", and I weight 150 lbs. I am a university student and during the period where I was eating 1200 calories/day, I was not exercising much at all. I have been sitting at the same weight (+/- a couple pounds) for about a year.

While I was eating 1200 calories per day, I was not a happy camper. I was constantly hungry, and I found myself skipping meals in order to maintain that goal. In addition, I was not losing any weight. And I can say with 100% confidence that eating 1200 calories/day for 6 months didn't make me lose a SINGLE pound. I had been sitting at the same weight the entire time. I was fed up, and I started reading into the 1200 calorie/day myth a bit more. I took some advice and I calculated my BMR, which was about 1500 calories/day. I was scared to increase my intake though, because I was afraid of gaining weight.

About 2 months ago I increased my calorie intake to about 1700 calories/day. Guess what? I'm still sitting at the exact same weight. This makes me realize in retrospect how much I was starving my body. I am also much happier now. I am not afraid to eat throughout the day. I can have breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks in between. I have also started working out for an hour per day on the exercise bike in hopes of overcoming my plateau. But the point of this post is that 1200 calories was definitely not ideal for me, and there is a chance that it is not ideal for you. Calculate your BMR and bump up your intake if 1200 calories is not working for you. Your body needs nourishment and there is definitely more to losing weight than limiting your calories. I know that there are already posts about the 1200 calorie misconception, but I just wanted to tell my experiences and try to get the message across that 1200 calories is not something to automatically swear by.

How are the clothes fitting you, performance at gym, or body measurements?

I read comments by experienced folks on this site that they have disowned the scale and now go by clothes fitting/ body measurements and/or their performance at gym or activity.

I would love to hear from you of if you are seeing any positive difference in other areas b'coz someday oneday I may be in your shoes. :smile:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1200 but my feelings aren't hurt at all if I log 1,400, 1,600 or 1,800.

My feelings aren't really hurt until I go over 2,000.

But I also am in this for the very, very long term, so if I'm extra hungry I will eat and go over.
  • lolosensan
    lolosensan Posts: 251
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I had the same experience but only lasted 2 or 3 weeks. You must have a lot of will power to stick to 1200 calories for so many months!! I am 5'5'' 148lbs and for me personally being at 1200 meant good days and bad days, and the bad days were reeeeeeaally bad...I was hungry. I am now eating around 15-1600/day and I haven't had one of those "can't stop eating" days since the 1200 days. I am doing Jillian Michaels and light cardio. I haven't seen the scale move much but I have lost inches and can see a difference in the clothes/pictures. Eat on :drinker:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I really wish people would just post their experiences and leave it at that, rather than I did it and so should you.

This. At 5ft, 1700 cals is what I need to maintain my weight not to lose.

It's great that you found you can eat more and lose but it's not going to work for everyone.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    hmm...
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Personally for myself I agree with you, OP. 1200 was not a happy existence for me when I first got serious with losing weight. I'm now at 1700 calories or so (5'8" and 185) and slowly losing still but I have the energy to work out now with the extra calories. I could stay at 1700 forever and be happy because I don't feel restricted.

Just my two cents for my own experience.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    In for the special snowflakes. :laugh:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I've been at 1550 the last 4 days, and I'm thinking of upping it because I'm so damn hungry. I cannot imagine an existence on 1200 calories. Ever. Oh, and I'm 5'7".
  • cnhamilton12
    cnhamilton12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 a day and am losing consistently. Sure, I'm a little hungry at the end of the day but I think it's because my body is used to feeling overly full when I was eating junk and fast food. I'm putting the right things into my body and everyday I feel better and better. That's great it works for you but don't be so quick to "know" what's best for my body.
  • BlondeViki
    BlondeViki Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think a lot also depends on what you are making up those 1200 calories from. If you are eating a lot of veggies and lean meat or fish, you should be getting quite a lot of food for not so many calories.

I find quite a lot (not always!) from browsing food diaries that many people who are on the 1200-1300 calorie limits, still try to eat the things they normally would, but maybe just less of them, or skip other meals to have one 'normal' meal - which is going to leave you hungry.

If you are trying to change to be healthy long term rather than simply to lose weight as soon as possible, it's often necessary to change what you eat, not just how much.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Weird. I lost 3 lbs a week on 1200 calories. Before I knew anything about weight loss, protein, retaining muscle. Did this for almost two months. Changed to 1550, lost 1.5 lbs a week. Changed to 1700, lost 1 lb. I now maintain around 2100ish at 5'3.5" 116 lbs No one size fits all calorie amount, indeed.....

I don't think it's fair to say no one should do it. Do I think it's sustainable? Long run.. probably not. Did I suffer any ill consequences? Nope. Everyone is different.
  • pinksmama
    pinksmama Posts: 40
    Options
    I don't know what everyone SHOULD do but I think it is wise to use your TDEE/BMR calculations to figure out a good number for yourself.

I can't remember what MFP started me out at, I think it was in the 12's or 13's, anyway, according to my TDEE/BMR calculations it was much too low, for me.. so I used my new calculation and have had better results.

Now, not sure why that wouldn't tend to work for everyone seeing how it's based on your body and your activity levels.. as well as being adjusted as your body changes. :blushing:
  • Callmeblessed
    Options
    Thanks
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Weird. I lost 3 lbs a week on 1200 calories. Before I knew anything about weight loss, protein, retaining muscle. Did this for almost two months. Changed to 1550, lost 1.5 lbs a week. Changed to 1700, lost 1 lb. I now maintain around 2100ish at 5'3.5" 116 lbs No one size fits all calorie amount, indeed.....

I don't think it's fair to say no one should do it. Do I think it's sustainable? Long run.. probably not. Did I suffer any ill consequences? Nope. Everyone is different.

Agreed. I was on the 1200 calorie bandwagon at one point... and I lost weight... but I gained it all back. So, I guess if you have a short term goal like getting in a bikini for the summer but putting it all back on in time for winter (extra insulation, they say) that could work for you. I don't think I've ever seen someone in the 1200 calorie group that say they got to their goal and SUCCESSFULLY maintained thereafter, but there's a first time for everything I suppose.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Others have questioned whether you religiously used a food scale and accounted for everything so I won't address it.

But at 5'7" and 150 lbs, you should not have chosen the 2 lb option to begin with-only the 0.5 lb.

MFP can get into serious legal trouble if they don't add important notations specifying which weekly weight loss goal is suitable for a person.