Fruit Myth... Fact or fiction.

Options
123457»

Replies

• MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    my question would be 'where is the protein going to come from'?
    Facepalm. It comes from the food!

How do you make sure you get enough leucine for example from a raw vegan diet?

(I know you can from a basic vegan one)

Sunflower seeds, and to a lesser extent avocado and coconut, provide leucine. The trick is to use cronometer because MFP does not allow you to track more than macros, salt and iron. If you are mindful and watch what you are doing it is possible to hit all micro and macro requirements.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I believe wood chips are the way to go. Low calories and very filling.

Don't use a red herring. It does nothing to further the debate.

but it's funny.

red-herring.gif

I concur. It is indeed funny. :drinker:

funny-gifs-norway.gif
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    LOL Benn great reading all the responses. Thanks guys
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm quite sure that cooking some vegetables releases more...nutrients. Yeah, I have no science to back that up, I saw it on a documentary where they tested some veg raw and then cooked it and then tested it again.

They did it with carrots in the documentary - so cooked carrots had more nutrients (or, the stored nutrients was released during the cooking process, or SOMETHING!!!)

Though, when they say cooked they mean lightly boil, or steam. Not 'boil for 3 hours till it turns to mush'. And I can't remember what other vegetables improved in cooking.

So I imagine, raw or properly cooked are both good for you.

This is my scientific contribution to the discussion.
  • Kixshots
    Kixshots Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit everyday and I lose weight xD I'd say make calories your priority and try not to overcomplicate things as long as you know you're eating mostly healthy, and I don't know anyone who got fat eating fruit
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I'm quite sure that cooking some vegetables releases more...nutrients. Yeah, I have no science to back that up, I saw it on a documentary where they tested some veg raw and then cooked it and then tested it again.

They did it with carrots in the documentary - so cooked carrots had more nutrients (or, the stored nutrients was released during the cooking process, or SOMETHING!!!)

Though, when they say cooked they mean lightly boil, or steam. Not 'boil for 3 hours till it turns to mush'. And I can't remember what other vegetables improved in cooking.

So I imagine, raw or properly cooked are both good for you.

This is my scientific contribution to the discussion.

You may not have it on hand but there is science to back that statement up. There's also science to back up vitamins and minerals found in meats to have considerably higher bioavailability to humans than those found in plants.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Added sugar is problematic and also indicates a heavily processed food. Natural sugar in foods with other nutritional value is fine.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Did you hear about that guy who died from eating fruit and vegetables? Nah me either. Probably because fruits and vegetables with a variety of nuts are a flawless diet.

Pre-Med - Future PA

Medical Assistant

Nutritionist

I love education :)

1 banana pushes my blood sugar sky high. Not flawless for me ;-)

In fact, I take issue with the whole concept of a "flawless diet". Humans are omnivorous. Any "diet" can be done wrong, and I don't think that any one diet is going to fill the needs and resources of any one population. Flexibility, taste, culture, traditions, availability etc etc all have to be factored in.

I think you have an issue with the context of the direction rather than the diet itself. I never said it was medically specific to a person whom has restrictions each diet is in part each individuals but in terms of nutrients it is flawless by that I mean simply that everything the body needs can be found in one or more of those substances mentioned. Now keep in mind the knowledge of where to find them is gained, by that I mean there are nuts out there I could name that you would need to google to find, that would have everything you can imagine. Learned about it in Med class.

I never said it was a flawless diet "for you" or "for her" or "for anyone" the flawless was a reference to nutritional capacity :)

Well a diet that doesn't work for everyone isn't flawless. By definition.

But while I do get what you are saying (you can get complete nutrition from this sort of diet), my point is that there are plenty of other flawless diets (by your standards) out there that also give complete nutrition. And some of them include bacon.

To hold a single diet up as "flawless" is to essentially promote it as the one way to eat. And that isn't realistic in the real world.
  • IsaTexDesigner
    IsaTexDesigner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything in moderation. Fruit is useful is you're craving something sugary, and a banana obviously would have less sugar than a cupcake. I incorporate a lot of HIIT into my workouts so I eat fruit after every workout.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit everyday and I lose weight xD I'd say make calories your priority and try not to overcomplicate things as long as you know you're eating mostly healthy, and I don't know anyone who got fat eating fruit

I do.
  • BENNYDOOR
    BENNYDOOR Posts: 23
    Options
    Fruit is great in moderation, but sugar is sugar.... there is a difference between natural sugar and processed of course but your body will still turn it straight to fat... Eat lots and lots of low glycemic vegetables instead :)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Fruit is great in moderation, but sugar is sugar.... there is a difference between natural sugar and processed of course but your body will still turn it straight to fat... Eat lots and lots of low glycemic vegetables instead :)
    No.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

False.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Your body turns it into glucose. Other factors will determine whether that is eventually turned into fat, including what your energy balance is at the time.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    And no again. I really think you should stop posting until you start doing some research that didn't originate from Dr. Oz...
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit is the way to go , period.

You can eat fruit, added sugar, sugar, etc as long as you maintain your calorie defict.

As far as vegan, I think that is more of a personal choice that has to do with the individual and not so much health...

I pretty much eat what I like - chicken, steak, potatoes, ice cream, pizza, burger - and I am in the best shape of my life (12% body fat) and my blood work comes back every year as nearly perfect....
    This isn't entirely good advice. A calorie deficit is good for weight loss, but that's not the only thing to consider if you are concerned for your health. This guy here, for example, has a fair chunk of protein and fat as well as complex carbs. Hence both losing weight and maintaining a good muscle to fat ratio.

A 'fruitarian' diet is very difficult eat on while maintaining good health. Most fruit and veggies don't have a lot of protein or fat, and are also low in a lot of essential micro-nutrients. And the high sugar diet can have bad effects on your health (not that sugars are bad, but just like with anything, too much can be harmful), so you need to try and balance that as well by eating enough veggies and nuts and non-sugary raw foods too. So if you do decide to adopt an entirely fruit and veggie diet, you need to make a big effort, and potentially big spending, to ensure you eat well. Lots of research, lot's of balancing, and lots of fore-thought. A good chunk of raw vegan folks don't do this and act pretty high and mighty with very little more than pseudoscience to back it up, so it might be hard to find good resources.
    Basically, yes, it can be good, but it can be bad if you aren't careful.