Body changes = treated differently?

Options

Replies

• Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Mostly I get..."Oh..you're still doing that exercise thing?"

Uhm yeah..I'm still doing it..haven't met my goal...and I'm no where near where I want to be..kk thanks
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Most people treat you differently because YOU treat yourself differently. You aren't as self conscious. You aren't self deprecating. You have more confidence. You do more stuff.

Welcome to the Virtuous Cycle.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Honking? No. Inviting you into their freaking cars, going "hey girl, want a ride?".. Yes.
    !@$#@#$ >:(

Yeah...I don't get that one, and gladly so! You should carry a knife if you don't already do!
    Thinking about a second knife, not even lying.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You really have to be perceptive and aware of your behavior, but I think much of the difference in how I am treated now has to do with the fact that I behave differently than I did before. I didn't like who I was before. I was shy and reserved and didn't think anybody wanted to talk to me or be nice to me, so I maintained a general "Don't talk to me" vibe in public. I dressed so as not to be noticed by anyone. It was a very depressing way to live, and I didn't even realize it until a year into the weight-loss process.

Now, I am much more likely to smile at a stranger and say hi when I pass him or her. I frequently tell strangers they look beautiful or handsome. I am a much more open and giving person in general than I used to be, and I think that's largely why I get treated differently. Now, I'm no fool; I know that my looks and the way I dress (skirts, dresses, high heels) have something to do with it. But the lack of a "F off" expression on my face and in my demeanor probably has more to do with it.

As far as being expected to wear more revealing things, do what you want and let others do what they want. I think you have to be who you are, without compromise, if you want to have more of the right people in your life and fewer of the wrong ones.
  • Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    Mostly I just get more creepy messages on here.

Soooo many creepy messages. :indifferent:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm treated differently. The squat rack opens up like Noah or Moses or whoever parting the Red Sea.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I went from obese to a very fit person. Naturally the response, and the way people treat me has improved. I get more attention than I used to, and the attitude of people has changed. I have experience cruel treatment, as well as elation.. I know how either side feels. But all in all is an experience I cherish, and an opportunity to know myself as well as others, and be able to relate to people and what they're going through. It definitely affected the way I treat others as well. :smile:
  • bachampion04
    bachampion04 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Yeah...I don't get that one, and gladly so! You should carry a knife if you don't already do!

Total concurrence with Fox on this one....Them crazies!
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Honking? No. Inviting you into their freaking cars, going "hey girl, want a ride?".. Yes.

Haha. I always carry a knife. And a lollipop, great weapon.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

3701.jpg

just sayin'
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    well since being thin/small/fit are what is seen as good,praise worthy, desirable,healthy,acceptable by society (especially for women)

of course when you become smaller you gain the privilege that comes along with it

im still fat but not obese so I am right in the spot where I experience more privilege than I did previously but still not in the thin privilege perfectly acceptable, desirable,worthy human being category

it really REALLY bothers me how much better I am treated by people now.. like im a worthy person now just because im smaller..im allowed to exist now
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    So a lot of you have read my success story over at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234646-can-t-believe-i-made-it but here's my question..

How have you been treated since your body has changed, whether it be weight loss, weight gain, toning up etc?

I went shopping for a swim suit the other day, and I grabbed a one piece that I thought was very cute. My friend and the sales associate both asked me why I wasn't going for a bikini to show off my body more.

I'm young, and I like to dress nicely, but I'm also a mom, I'm not going to be one of the parents that shows up at their kid's school in club wear.

I'm really more of a skinny jeans, riding boots and fitted sweater kinda girl.

Unless it's summer, sun dresses all day ever day.

But I've noticed since I've lost weight, a lot of people ask, basically why I don't wear more revealing clothes now.

I need to see more pictures of you to determine if you should get the one piece or a bikini instead.
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You really have to be perceptive and aware of your behavior, but I think much of the difference in how I am treated now has to do with the fact that I behave differently than I did before. I didn't like who I was before. I was shy and reserved and didn't think anybody wanted to talk to me or be nice to me, so I maintained a general "Don't talk to me" vibe in public. I dressed so as not to be noticed by anyone. It was a very depressing way to live, and I didn't even realize it until a year into the weight-loss process.

Now, I am much more likely to smile at a stranger and say hi when I pass him or her. I frequently tell strangers they look beautiful or handsome. I am a much more open and giving person in general than I used to be, and I think that's largely why I get treated differently. Now, I'm no fool; I know that my looks and the way I dress (skirts, dresses, high heels) have something to do with it. But the lack of a "F off" expression on my face and in my demeanor probably has more to do with it.

As far as being expected to wear more revealing things, do what you want and let others do what they want. I think you have to be who you are, without compromise, if you want to have more of the right people in your life and fewer of the wrong ones.

Please stop stealing my answers.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I get hit on way more. I thought I'd be flattered but I'm actually disgusted at the men who couldn't appreciate me until I shed the weight.
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options

3701.jpg

just sayin'

Glock for me.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Saw thread title. Came in to say this. Didn't want to leave without saying something, so here is my post.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

3701.jpg

just sayin'
    Califonia law says no .-.
    I have no idea about Florida law, but I'm going to guess.. Also a no....
  • sue_langley
    sue_langley Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    100% different in almost every aspect of life.

Couldnt of said it any better man. Complete 360 and some lol

I just don't understand why

In some areas, it's quite a negative difference. People make wild assumptions based on appearance. I really have to work hard to counteract some of the negative perceptions and reactions.

Yeah if one more person tells me i need to eat something ....ima lose it >.<

This. It never seems to come from someone that is in great physical shape :-)
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

3701.jpg

just sayin'
    Califonia law says no .-.
    I have no idea about Florida law, but I'm going to guess.. Also a no....

your good to go in FL
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I went from obese to a very fit person. Naturally the response, and the way people treat me has improved. I get more attention than I used to, and the attitude of people has changed. I have experience cruel treatment, as well as elation.. I know how either side feels. But all in all is an experience I cherish, and an opportunity to know myself as well as others, and be able to relate to people and what they're going through. It definitely affected the way I treat others as well. :smile:

Loved this response! What a great opportunity for personal growth and self-reflection!