weighted running

Options
13»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Only weighted running you need to do is with full gear during Zombie Apocalypse. Other than that, no.

Shouldn't we be building up to weighted running NOW then?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Train hard, fight easy

One trains with weight because one has to, so in basic trainees start in phys kit and running shoes, work up to combats and boots, the start to load up with fighting order, then marching order. Speeds decrease as loads increase, and in a contact one divests load.

Carrying the weapon system is also quite controlled, as it has to remain under positive control throughout; both hands on the weapon, unless one is in contact and moving in which case it's lifted to point vertically upwards in the right hand, but that's a move in terms of tens of metres.

awesome input, thank you very much.

It's probably also worth noting that, at least at Commando Training Centre, Royal Marines, the course is designed to coach people in. There is a reasonably high injury rate but there is a rehab company, Hunter Company, that provides a lot of physical therapy to injured trainees and continues to develop their military skills and theoretical knowledge while they're in rehab. The pass rate at CTCRM is reasonable, although the actual proportion of those who make it through the 32 weeks is lower. The course, along with selection, is designed to select in, rather than drop people out. It's very expensive to get people there in the first place, so the system makes sure those that get there are the right people to pass out at the end.

Personally I've had broken ankles, torn ligaments, and broken shoulders as a result of my career choices.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Train hard, fight easy

One trains with weight because one has to, so in basic trainees start in phys kit and running shoes, work up to combats and boots, the start to load up with fighting order, then marching order. Speeds decrease as loads increase, and in a contact one divests load.

Carrying the weapon system is also quite controlled, as it has to remain under positive control throughout; both hands on the weapon, unless one is in contact and moving in which case it's lifted to point vertically upwards in the right hand, but that's a move in terms of tens of metres.

awesome input, thank you very much.

It's probably also worth noting that, at least at Commando Training Centre, Royal Marines, the course is designed to coach people in. There is a reasonably high injury rate but there is a rehab company, Hunter Company, that provides a lot of physical therapy to injured trainees and continues to develop their military skills and theoretical knowledge while they're in rehab. The pass rate at CTCRM is reasonable, although the actual proportion of those who make it through the 32 weeks is lower. The course, along with selection, is designed to select in, rather than drop people out. It's very expensive to get people there in the first place, so the system makes sure those that get there are the right people to pass out at the end.

Personally I've had broken ankles, torn ligaments, and broken shoulders as a result of my career choices.

I have weak hips and a huge butt.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    If you want to tone your arms just do bicep curls and tricep exercises. But since you then get muscular arms (not big, muscular, because women can't get big unless you inject testosterone) you need to also workout your shoulders, because otherwise you'll get something called muscular imbalance. And because you train shoulders you need to train chest as well, which means back as well and in turn, also legs. You get the point.

Screw the curls and the tricep exercises.

Incorporate some functional lifts (squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press) and bodyweight exercises like push-ups (and eventually pull-ups). You'll get the "tone" you want (as you lose fat) and the newly gained strength will even help you shave seconds (even minutes!) off your mile time.

Try it, guaranteed you'll like the results!
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Well what do you know?

I focused on my form a bit more and shaved a good chunk of time away.

lost it a few times because I cannot resist a spot of air guitar/ air drumming (now I know why they all listen to electronic music at the gym). I fear it'll be a good drum solo on a treadmill that kills me.

and I was more focused doing weights because I knew I was doing it to run faster.

You guys are awesome! :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • technorodent
    Options
    Thanks for these posts. The concerns--high-intensity training, training for backpacking/hiking, and the desire to kill to birds with one stone, so to speak--matched mine. I'm going to hold off on the walking weights and stick with a weighted backpack for hiking purposes.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Well what do you know?

lost it a few times because I cannot resist a spot of air guitar/ air drumming (now I know why they all listen to electronic music at the gym). I fear it'll be a good drum solo on a treadmill that kills me.

and I was more focused doing weights because I knew I was doing it to run faster.

You guys are awesome! :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou:

i do apologize about that. I didn't mean to hijack your thread, and I'm happy to hear you were able to shave some time off. Outstanding effort.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Well what do you know?

You guys are awesome! :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou:u

i do apologize about that. I didn't mean to hijack your thread, and I'm happy to hear you were able to shave some time off. Outstanding effort.

oh not at all, it was a very interesting discussion. Plus I had my answer in about 3 posts anyway . Lol
    my ISO is military and runs with a weighted back pack so it was of interest to me.

Xxx
  • barnettsa
    barnettsa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What about handheld water bottles?