I abandoned 1200 calories per day, and so should you

Options

Replies

• shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on about 2000 kcal a day. For years, I haven't felt hunger, until now. I'm cooking my dinner, at the moment, and because I'm feeling hungry, I'm a bit clueless, about what to do, as the food is not yet ready...As, I am usually a slow eater, I don't want to 'inhale' the food, once it's cooked. So, in the last half hour, I've drunk 800ml of water, and I'm planning on drinking some more, as it's helped a bit.

www.fitnessfrog.com has answered most of my questions. Unlike, some other websites, that contradicts.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Did you use a food scale? This sounds like under estimating calorie intake. At 5'7" 150, 1200 should have led to weight loss.

Exactly what I was thinking!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is ideal......for a long lunch:heart::drinker: :bigsmile: thank me, thank me very much!
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I really wish people would just post their experiences and leave it at that, rather than I did it and so should you.

^^This^^

That being said, 1200 didn't work for me either. Things started to really get going when I went up to 1450, but then it took my body about three weeks to start losing. I eventually had to up to 1600, to slow things down, which took another three weeks to start working. BUT... that's just how MY body worked.
  • paganstar71
    paganstar71 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1,200 cals a day, but I accept that sometimes it's not enough, especially if I didn't choose nutritious food during the day or went to a restaurant for a treat.

I tried to bump my calories up to 1,500 a couple of weeks back but bizarrely felt more hungry and kept going over my calories; and actually put on some weight, so I went back to what works for me. I'm 5'3".

You felt hungry because your Leptin levels returned. It happens to everyone. I maintain around 2100 with minimal activity and even easing up by 100 a week to get there I had moments of hunger. Hunger is a terrible queue for whether or not you're eating enough. Depending on how long you stayed at that amount and your logging accuracy can make a difference, too. Plus water weight fluctuations from adding calories and how you went about that. I'm 5'3.5" .

I treat hunger as a cue that I haven't had enough nutrition. When eating around 1,200 cals I am purposely eating more nutrient dense food so I reach my macro goals, therefore I don't feel hungry between meals. Whereas when I upped my calories the extra allowance tempted me to snack on less nutritious food and I was more inclined to eat even more calories.

I'll stick to what works for me, I think.
  • JagZag
    JagZag Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am a relative newbee to MFP and have been reading lots and lots of posts about how many calories? What kind of foods? etc, etc. One thing I see over and over is "calories in vs calories out". Doesn't that say it all? I have a Body Media Fit armband and at the end of the day I'm looking for a 750 calorie deficit. I can get that by eating less or working out more. If I know that I won't have a lot of time to work out, I eat less that day. If I have lots of time to work out, I eat what I want( within reason), and work off the excess. That 750 calorie deficit is my key to losing. It averages out that I can get the essentials my body needs and still lose the weight. I will add that I am a 63 yr. old woman, retired ( so my time is pretty much my own), I go to Curves 3x a week and work out with weights at home the days I don't go to Curves. I also use my stationary bike to help with those pesky extra calories that I need to get rid of, but usually no more than 30 min. a day (except when I decide I need a few Bud Lights, then an hour will usually do it). One thing I do not do is go hungry. If my tummy starts growling I'm looking for something to feed it with. If I have to spend a few extra minutes on the bike then so be it. I'm not saying this is the solution for everyone but it works for me.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yep I abandoned 1200 cals a day. 3 times a week for 40 hours each time I eat 0 calories & then for the other times I'll eat about 3000.

But then I enjoy being healthy, being able to heal from a nasty VMO injury in a week rather than months & love being able to eat what I like & still lose weight.

BTW my TDEE is 1900 roughly... so for me eating more than that every day would lead to gaining.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    No one "should" be doing anything based on another person's experience. When I started I was on the verge of diabetes, so I HAD to lose as much as possible as fast as possible. It worked for me and I lost the biggest chunk of my weight on around 1200 a day in the first 5 months. I did not "plateau" and I kept losing at a very predictable rate. When my blood sugar started looking more normal, I took a 6 month "break" where I just maintained at around 2400 calories (long story, basically did not want to spend money on new clothes). Now that I'm out of the danger zone, I just do whatever calories I feel like doing for that day provided I do not go over my maintenance calories. Some of these days happen to be 1200, and even 1000. I say everyone should find what works for them and stick to it, be it 1200 or 2000.

AMUSEDMONKEY ---- CONGRATS for doing what it took to walk away from Diabetes.....you averted athe catastrophe!!!!

separate comment::::::::1200 calories is A LOT of food if a person is eating lean meat, FRESH veggies, lean fish and using regular condiments---there is even enough to have an avocado/ a small amount of olive oil.....fresh fruit etc
  • GingerPeachLass
    GingerPeachLass Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, the famous Minnesota starvation study. What I pulled from a scientific study is the following:

Like most of us on a diet, their metabolisms did slow down. In fact, after they'd been on this diet for a while -- we're talking months, not days here -- their body fat percentage got to a point below what is considered minimal to live on (about 5% for a guy, 6% for a gal). At this point, their metabolism had slowed down as much as 40%. But -- and this is the important point for those of us on a diet -- they continued to lose weight. Even with that big of a slow down in their BMR, they were still operating at a great enough calorie deficit to lose. If this is true with a 40% slow down, it's even more true when the slow down is somewhere in the 14 - 22% range, which is more where if falls with normal dieting.

The important point to note about this study is that it was performed on normal-weighted men. When starvation studies have been done on the obese, they find that the impact of the starvation diet is much less. Our bodies have fat stores designed to get us through a famine (i.e., a diet) and when we have a famine (i.e., a diet), those fat stores get used. The drastic slowdown of the metabolism doesn't happen until those fat stores are largely gone -- which takes a lot longer for the obese than for those who only have to lose 10-25 pounds.

So yes, I do see your point. I feel the study was flawed, but there is indeed much to take away from this study in part. Sorry, neurology is my forte. However, the starvation mode theory is, for some reason, was still taught in med school in the 80s and 90s.
  • paganstar71
    paganstar71 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

separate comment::::::::1200 calories is A LOT of food if a person is eating lean meat, FRESH veggies, lean fish and using regular condiments---there is even enough to have an avocado/ a small amount of olive oil.....fresh fruit etc

I agree, if you eat the right foods, 1,200 calories is a lot of food and usually very tasty if you know how to cook :)
  • GingerPeachLass
    GingerPeachLass Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do agree. 1200 calories is more than enough for me when I am making wise food choices. In fact, I am more satisfied on a 1200 calorie intake when eating fruits, vegetables, and lean meats.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Might as well have walked in a room and said "America is better than Europe" then walked out.
  • lamcdavid
    lamcdavid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a quick question. This has been asked a couple of times, but not addressed. I'm 5'3" and weigh 190. I've lost 14 pounds (8 pounds before starting MFP) but have a long way to go. MFP also suggested the 1200 cal for me to meet my goals, but these are net calories. When I exercise, and depending on the exercise, I eat anywhere from 1400 to 1600 calories, because I eat my exercise calories, so my net calories stay right at 1200 calories. So, my question is, when you all discuss the calories and whether 1200 is a good, sustainable goal, are you talking about net calories?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I never even considered trying for 2Ibs a week loss when I joined, or 1200. I do not see the benefit of such extremes, barring a few specific circumstances. I can happily lose a Ib a week, netting 1600-1700 calories, and I am very thankful for that as I like to ensure my body gets what it needs to keep my fires burning strong. Just because one feels satisfied on 1200 calories a day, does not mean it is beneficial or optimal.

I think what many people fail to consider when they put themselves on such low calories, is that they are buggering up their metabolism unless they are somehow getting a good amount of protein, by ensuring they lose plenty of lean mass, alongside the fat. As we all know, muscle uses up more calories than fat.
  • idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Really? Craziest thing, but I've been netting between 1,000 and 1,200 calories a day and exercising, and I'm losing an average of 3.2 lbs. a week.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm not 3 feet tall, but my maintenance on different sites is usually calculated between 1550-1650. A 350 calorie a day deficit is not dangerous.

Some people should abandon 1200 calories a day. Others are just fine.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    I've also read many posts from girls who lost on 1200 calories..then could never eat at maintenance without gaining. So it ruins your metabolism..and you have to starve forever to stay at your goal weight.

Eat more…and lose slower ..think of the end game… to be able to eat normal again!!!!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Did you use a food scale? This sounds like under estimating calorie intake. At 5'7" 150, 1200 should have led to weight loss.

I kind of agree. Not that I advocate 1200. I did it, but I would definitely not say it's the best way to lose weight.

Even if you are inactive, 1200 is a deficit. No matter how little or how much you're exercising, you should - hypothetically - lose weight on 1200. Were you counting calories in the little things? Butter, oil, liquids, creamer... etc?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I've also read many posts from girls who lost on 1200 calories..then could never eat at maintenance without gaining. So it ruins your metabolism..and you have to starve forever to stay at your goal weight.

Eat more…and lose slower ..think of the end game… to be able to eat normal again!!!!

Any person losing on any calorie limit is going to have
    1. Initial weight gain of 3-5 pounds
    2. Reduced metabolism due to the loss of mass / increase of efficiency

I have lost on 1200 for a long period, then was able to maintain at a level very close (even slightly higher) than what the website suggested for maintenance. It really is a highly individual thing. For some it works for some it doesn't.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I do agree. 1200 calories is more than enough for me when I am making wise food choices. In fact, I am more satisfied on a 1200 calorie intake when eating fruits, vegetables, and lean meats.
    I think it all depends on your activity level, too, as to whether 1200 is enough. I run 4-6 miles three days a week and do heavy lifting the other three days of the week, and for me 1200 would be "starvation"-- I don't mean "starvation mode" but that I would simply not be eating enough food to fuel my workouts. I would be ravenous, and probably flat on my back by the end of week one.

I've went this entire route before of low calorie eating when trying to lose weight, and it doesn't work for me under any circumstance (unless I'm sick and really can't eat anything). Now, I don't have to worry about it because I am trying to maintain. :smile: