Stupid Gym

Options
At my gym (women's only) they have a board that I assume is supposed to be there to motivate you as it has a "welcome to the club", "Queen of the Court (who has lost the most lbs and inches)" and "Princesses(runners up in the weight/inch loss) and "celebrating members that have been more than 12x each month".
I have been working my butt off this month trying to get healthier and in shape and secretly I wanted to finally see my name on the board.
On Friday, they decided to update the board...
March 28th!!! There were 3 more days in the month and I overheard the girl say she was doing it because she was bored!!
I was so upset, I had to leave before I blew up at someone and cried all the way home.
Today is my 13th day this month, I get to weigh in and get measured today and before this weekend I may have had a chance of being Queen. But I kinda gave up. I ate crap and didn't exercise and gained about 2lbs in what I'm guessing is water weight from all the sodium I ate plus some.
Today I am due back in the gym and I don't want to go! I have lost all oomph and am feeling really resentful that a place like that with a motivation board like that could be so clueless of peoples feelings.
How do I get over this? Do I say something? Do I make a scene? Do I demand my money back and go somewhere else??
UGGGGGH!

Replies

• jodimoon12
    Options
    Did you prepay for your membership or sign a contract? If not, I would find another gym. You may even speak to one of the trainers or the manager about changing the "motivation" board. I would include things like most improved, and maybe post some challenges that people can opt into by putting their name under a pledge to do the challenge. I think if you go to them with ideas instead of just complaining you'll get things changed. DON'T GIVE UP! You should be so incredibly proud of yourself for working so hard! It's not easy to get into shape, and it's even harder to try to do it around "in shape" people, so GOOD FOR YOU!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    At my gym (women's only) they have a board that I assume is supposed to be there to motivate you as it has a "welcome to the club", "Queen of the Court (who has lost the most lbs and inches)" and "Princesses(runners up in the weight/inch loss) and "celebrating members that have been more than 12x each month".
    I have been working my butt off this month trying to get healthier and in shape and secretly I wanted to finally see my name on the board.
    March 28th!!! There were 3 more days in the month and I overheard the girl say she was doing it because she was bored!!
    I was so upset, I had to leave before I blew up at someone and cried all the way home.
    Today is my 13th day this month, I get to weigh in and get measured today and before this weekend I may have had a chance of being Queen. But I kinda gave up. I ate crap and didn't exercise and gained about 2lbs in what I'm guessing is water weight from all the sodium I ate plus some.
    Today I am due back in the gym and I don't want to go! I have lost all oomph and am feeling really resentful that a place like that with a motivation board like that could be so clueless of peoples feelings.
    How do I get over this? Do I say something? Do I make a scene? Do I demand my money back and go somewhere else??
    UGGGGGH!

While I feel for you, I think you need to focus on what really matters. Your motivation should come from within - you exercise because you want to lose weight, feel healthy, look better...whatever it is. It's not about some stupid board. It's about making your life better and feeling accomplished when you know you are doing good things.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    That's the way it is I'm afraid. Exercising hard and putting in the hours at the gym is a hobby for a lot of people, perhaps she genuinely was bored and getting her name on the board was something for her to do? It seems a bit irrational you would throw away your progress because of someone else's approach to their name appearing on a board.
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on your gym - I would tell them how I feel - maybe there are others that feel the same - she probably didn't know that it was so important to you and she won't know unless you say something. It is so motivating to get the feedback on our progress and I have to say - my MFP friends keep me going. For me - being 100 pounds overweight and working so hard to improve my health is not something most of the people in my "real" life can understand or really know how to support. I used to feel so alone in this issue but sharing our successes feels good. Hopefully you are getting some good support on MFP. Hang in there!
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Don't let some twit undermine your hard work. I used to be insulted when I would go into my gym and all the young staff would ignore me but trip over themselves to welcome and flirt with the cute 20 somethings. It is just a job to the staff. They do not understand the effort it takes to even walk in and do your routine.

I do think you need to talk to the Manager about this. The staff who said these unkind and thoughtless words needs some re-training. She may be thoughtless and a nitwit but her job is to encourage, support, and help you and others even if she is bored.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    First, if it's that important to you, ask the gym manager about it. Second, and this may seem a bit harsh, but I find it to just be an excuse that a stupid game at the gym led you to a binge and lack of motivation. That seems a bit much to me. Disappointment happens, you can't throw in the towel every time.

Again, if it's that big of a motivator to you, tell them. Tell them it helps so much to try to get your name on the board and push for it.
  • staceybeee
    staceybeee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately am in a contract until the end of August this year so I am going to have to deal with it eventually :)
    I do know that motivation should come from within but sometimes I need to have some outside something to motivate me because my brain and stomach aren't very supportive.
    And I am sorry if that was confusing, I meant the girl who was bored and making the signs, was the employee not another member.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately am in a contract until the end of August this year so I am going to have to deal with it eventually :)
    I do know that motivation should come from within but sometimes I need to have some outside something to motivate me because my brain and stomach aren't very supportive.
    And I am sorry if that was confusing, I meant the girl who was bored and making the signs, was the employee not another member.

You will never be able to control what other people offer to you. If you need a motivation boost, then come up with something that is meaningful to you and see it through. My motivation was to run a Tough Mudder. It kept me on track. Other people motivate with clothing, spa treatments, vacations, etc. You can also find motivation by finding a workout group where you can make friends that hold you accountable.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Tough love ahead...

Suck it up buttercup.
    I hope you aren't doing this just to get your name on a board, while it may be nice to be recognized the real accomplishment is in the loss and bettering yourself. Recognize yourself and your accomplishments, don't give anyone else the power to take it away from you like you just did. Take back your self respect and move on, don't give some lowly drone that kind of control over your future.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    **** your gym.
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Wait... what?!? :noway:

You threw in the towel, because you didn't get your name on some board?!?!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    UGGGGGH!

While I feel for you, I think you need to focus on what really matters. Your motivation should come from within - you exercise because you want to lose weight, feel healthy, look better...whatever it is. It's not about some stupid board. It's about making your life better and feeling accomplished when you know you are doing good things.

Sorry, but yeah, this. I don't see why something like that would totally knock you off.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Your priorities are out of order. Are you there to achieve the kind of success that doesn't need to be spelled out in crayon, or do you just want to be applauded for merely showing up 12 times in a month? Think about that.
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My ladies only has a board but its not quite the same thank god as I don't want to be crowned Queen or Princess and I am being measured Wednesday and am the opposite of you and don't want my success posted as I don't like too much attention.

I do however want to be able to enter the monthly draw for club members who worked out 12 times this month and I would have been very upset if this was closed early so I understand that. Its the principal of the thing and therefore I think its important that you mention it to the owner as I'm sure they would adjust if they realized it was affecting people.
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Make your own motivational board at home with things that will motivate you. Strive to beat yourself each month instead of other people (members of your gym).

At the gym, I would suggest speaking to the manager or someone about the situation and let them know how it made you feel. There may be others who were just as put off as you were but who won't have the courage to say anything. If it makes you so upset that you threw in the towel and gave up on yourself, it's worth talking to management about.

Best of luck to you.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhhh, the politics of the board. My goal would be to do the best I could and never get my name on the board. If you have been secretly hoping to get on the board, maybe you can secretly plot to stay off of the board. Be the best you that you can and only let others find out how good you are by getting to know you.
  • MrsTits
    MrsTits Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think you're over reacting. You OVERHEARD someone *****ing about their job. Who doesn't ***** about their job sometimes? It wasn't like she was announcing it to all the members that she found working with them boring or she found making signs boring (I would too!), you overheard her talking to someone else, right? So what if she gets bored with her job sometimes, who doesn't!?
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's nice to see your name up there, but some lady was (possibly) trying to be proactive with her downtime shouldn't get to you like it has.

Look at yourself for the recognition you need. You've obviously made progress (if you think you could have had your name up there) and you need to keep doing what has gotten you this far, otherwise you risk throwing away all the work you have done so far.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    That would push me to work harder. If I was that bothered about a board, which I probably wouldn't be. I'd want to work hard to beat someone else who was just doing it because she was bored.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    LOL I love how the male responses are already WAY different than the female ones. I'm with the other guys. Get over it. Move on. Your own progress is your motivation. Not other women's affirmation. This is the problem with most women in general. You're all so concerned with one upping each other that when you fall short for some reason it emotionally cripples you and you turn catty.