Stupid Gym

Options

Replies

• corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Make your own motivation board?
    I have a page in my workout diary full of mini goals, and when I hit each goal I buy myself a little present (like when I hit the 20lb mark I'm going to buy a "suns out Guns out" shirt)!
    You dont need a princess board at an all womens gym to be your motivation!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I never would have guessed that all-women's gyms would be so full of drama

Your gym isn't?

It has me, doesn't it? :wink:
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I would classify that board in the category "too stupid to care about". I am sorry, but if I want motivation I take off my clothes, look in the mirror (I mean really look) and give myself the credit I deserve for my progress. Learn to pat yourself on the back, you won't always have others around to do it for you. Look in the mirror and say, good job!
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Valuable lesson here: set up your own motivational reward. Never let anyone or anything else be an excuse not to do what is best for you.

I understand your reaction because this process lays bare so much emotion we've covered up and buried over months, years....maybe even a lifetime. This is the time to work through those emotions so you can land in a better, more honest place with yourself. Forgive (yourself and the gym), learn, and move ahead.

It may be good to calmly explain the impact the board had for you and that you were upset when it was changed early so the gym staff can avoid this emotional land mine in the future, but yelling and screaming and berating gym staff is only going to make you look out of control.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Your gym isn't?

You win the princess hat for my FL!
    Here ya' go:
    5040274.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Wait, imagine if you had gotten on the board. And then the next month you got knocked off the board. You would have been truly crushed. Because the board doesn't defines you. You are not the colored pen scratches on that white plastic. You are not defined by being the queen. Or not.

Find your hero point. If you quit the gym over this, you are just one back into the masses of those owned by the perception of others.

large.gif
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Your gym isn't?

You win the princess hat for my FL!
    Here ya' go:
    5040274.jpg

Fresh out if fedoras, huh? :sad:
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    LOL I love how the male responses are already WAY different than the female ones. I'm with the other guys. Get over it. Move on. Your own progress is your motivation. Not other women's affirmation. This is the problem with most women in general. You're all so concerned with one upping each other that when you fall short for some reason it emotionally cripples you and you turn catty.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    You get off yer *kitten* and stop being such a baby! Who cares what everyone else is doing. do it for you!
  • Paizzaz
    Paizzaz Posts: 33
    Options
    Ugh, that reminds me of prom court in high school!! I simply wouldn't want to participate in it at all. If someone is loosing inches they're loosing inches and it shouldn't matter if it's 1 or 2 or 3... Everyone making progress should feel like a winner. I would feel better if someone I hadn't seen in awhile complimented the progress I've made rather than seeing my name on some board anyway. But really, even if no one noticed I'm doing this for me and you should be doing it for you.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Don't give up, you'll make it. And eating comfort food every now and then isn't going to kill you either. Just remember your motivation and go from there.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    At my gym (women's only) they have a board that I assume is supposed to be there to motivate you as it has a "welcome to the club", "Queen of the Court (who has lost the most lbs and inches)" and "Princesses(runners up in the weight/inch loss) and "celebrating members that have been more than 12x each month".
    I have been working my butt off this month trying to get healthier and in shape and secretly I wanted to finally see my name on the board.
    On Friday, they decided to update the board...
    March 28th!!! There were 3 more days in the month and I overheard the girl say she was doing it because she was bored!!
    I was so upset, I had to leave before I blew up at someone and cried all the way home.
    Today is my 13th day this month, I get to weigh in and get measured today and before this weekend I may have had a chance of being Queen. But I kinda gave up. I ate crap and didn't exercise and gained about 2lbs in what I'm guessing is water weight from all the sodium I ate plus some.
    Today I am due back in the gym and I don't want to go! I have lost all oomph and am feeling really resentful that a place like that with a motivation board like that could be so clueless of peoples feelings.
    How do I get over this? Do I say something? Do I make a scene? Do I demand my money back and go somewhere else??
    UGGGGGH!
    I don't get it. You joined a gym so you could have someone tell you that you were a princess?
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    There's always next month right?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6xhkwvhSx1qbkfaao1_500.gif
  • FurtherUpstream
    Options
    I think you need to re-evaluate your goals and put them in perspective of why you want to lose weight and what you're doing it for. If a goal is for a name on a board or recognition, you'll gain the weight back just as fast as you lost it.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym all the time. I wouldn't even know if they have a board like this or not. Its not on my radar, I go there to work out and to try to get in better shape.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Please don't do any of those things you just said.

The girl was doing something called "trash talking" as it's called to demotivate her opponent whomever she perceives her to be, might not even be you.

EVERY reaction you suggested seems way overboard to me and will make you come off as hysterical and will make her laugh at you if you are even on her radar.

Just change gyms at the earliest opportunity as clearly this competitive style motivation is not working for you. Go to a gym where you can just do you and where your competition will only be with yourself.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Time to move on .. and just find something that is real to motivate you. Like make a body fat % goal or something and just do it. Way better than being on some board.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    While I feel for you, I think you need to focus on what really matters. Your motivation should come from within - you exercise because you want to lose weight, feel healthy, look better...whatever it is. It's not about some stupid board. It's about making your life better and feeling accomplished when you know you are doing good things.
    I agree with this.....you aren't getting healthier for your name on some board, and.it would be a very 'stupid' reason to eat badly and stop going to the gym. Take a deep breath, let it go, and kick some *kitten* in April!

edited to add...if you weigh in today and your stats are better than the people on the board, can't you just ask them to add you on there?
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    People actually care about this?

I always thought those cutesy reward boards were the fault of unimaginative management.

Oh wait... that's what management thinks too.