• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:

Wow.

Here. Here's your gold star:
    131300851358.jpg

And here's your princess hat:
    [img]http://www.yourwdwstore.net/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/18000/18000 18099/400005468216.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0[/img]

And here's a flower :flowerforyou:

Good luck on your journey.
    dont+let+them+steal+your+sparkle.png
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the clarification. I was confused by your original post too. Instead of letting someone's decision, words, etc demotivate you, how about talking to them about it. Let the "bored" girl know that the competition really keeps you going and you'd appreciate if they stuck with the schedule, especially since you expected to see your name on the board soon. It may not be important to her so she has to understand that it's important to others and that's pretty much the point of having that kind of competition, right? If you don't want to talk to the "bored" girl, talk to management.

When I tried working out in the past, I went through a few different gym buddies who were not very commited and I let their lack of motivation bring me down. If they didn't go neither did I. A few years later I realized that was just a lame excuse and when I got back at it, I went on my own and motivated the hell out of myself. I do currently have a gym buddy but honestly I was hesitant when we started working out together and made my expectations very clear. If she wanted to keep up, great. If she didn't, we probably wouldn't work out. Thankfully, she's awesome.

Point is, as others have said, learn to motivate yourself. Incentives are great but don't put all of your motivation into them.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Just to put it out there again, (not making excuses) but I overheard the Gym Employee saying she was bored that was why she was doing the board early... I wasn't upset because another gym member was working out because she was bored. Yes, that is and would be really really stupid.

I appreciate everyone's comments from the kind and encouraging to the not so kind but also very motivating comments.

I am new to this and am really trying for myself to get healthy and ultimately lose weight. I put emphasis on the board, like I do group challenges and like I do when I post on community boards like this to keep up my motivation. I get that it may sound silly or immature to some, but it was some of what was pushing me this month.

I'm back on track today with eating, I plan on going to the gym and discussing rationally how it affected me and I am going to keep on going for myself.

Good for you Stacey! Just get right back on the horse! You can do this!!!!!!!!!
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You show up to workout.. You are a winner every single day you choose to do that!

I would be upset too, the lard has been motivating you.. You gotta find motivation where you can.

Keep going and be your personal best.

It will pay off in a confidence and pride that no board can bestow on you :)
  • MrsHollingsworthThomas
    Options
    Don't give up on your gym - I would tell them how I feel - maybe there are others that feel the same - she probably didn't know that it was so important to you and she won't know unless you say something. It is so motivating to get the feedback on our progress and I have to say - my MFP friends keep me going. For me - being 100 pounds overweight and working so hard to improve my health is not something most of the people in my "real" life can understand or really know how to support. I used to feel so alone in this issue but sharing our successes feels good. Hopefully you are getting some good support on MFP. Hang in there!

I think this is great advice.
    I would suggest that you say something because to her, it was probably just part of her job; something to do. She may not know the impact that it has on you and how motivating it is. Let her know, she may update it or make changes to correct it.
    Definitely don't stop going!
  • MrsHollingsworthThomas
    Options
    :indifferent:

Wow.

Here. Here's your gold star:
    131300851358.jpg

And here's your princess hat:
    [img]http://www.yourwdwstore.net/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/18000/18000 18099/400005468216.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0[/img]

And here's a flower :flowerforyou:

Good luck on your journey.
    dont+let+them+steal+your+sparkle.png

LMAO
    that's the spirit!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Just to put it out there again, (not making excuses) but I overheard the Gym Employee saying she was bored that was why she was doing the board early... I wasn't upset because another gym member was working out because she was bored. Yes, that is and would be really really stupid.

I appreciate everyone's comments from the kind and encouraging to the not so kind but also very motivating comments.

I am new to this and am really trying for myself to get healthy and ultimately lose weight. I put emphasis on the board, like I do group challenges and like I do when I post on community boards like this to keep up my motivation. I get that it may sound silly or immature to some, but it was some of what was pushing me this month.

I'm back on track today with eating, I plan on going to the gym and discussing rationally how it affected me and I am going to keep on going for myself.

Stacey, this is a good attitude to have. You go girl!
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    let me translate this - you ate crap and slobbed out for a couple of days - you feel guilty so you are blaming someone who was looking to keep herself busy at a quiet time in work by getting a jump on something

You over ate - you didn't work out - your actions - your consequences - take responsibility

You have 2 choices - get back on track with you eating and go back to gym - or give up - again - your actions - your consequences - take responsibility
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing as a PP...what if they redid the board right after close tonight and you found out tomorrow you weren't Queen of the board?
    So what if the employee was bored? She should have changed the board when they were really busy? Come on, think about it....shes redecorating and putting things on a bulletin board.

This type of thing is why we have to give every child in sport participation trophies because there is always one child who thinks they deserve a medal all the time...
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I would go in today, being the actual end of the month and ask to be weighed and measured. And then casually ask if they are going to update the board again.

There is a difference between motivation and recognition. While I wholeheartedly agree motivation comes from within sometimes we all need a little recognition to increase our motivation. In the meantime support yourself with friends and family who will give those 'atta girls' that you need to push you to keep going rather than a board in the gym.

Nice response.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    While I understand that this was something giving you motivation, it should be left at that. Take the fact that it motivated you to work towards your goal. If your name had ended up on the board, you would have been happy temporarily, but in the long run, your name on a board means diddly squat. You should not do any of the things you suggested, as it's overreacting.Just focus on the progress you made, that's something to celebrate!
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I get it. I'd be upset too if I worked hard for something and then the rules changed at the last second.

But, it seems like a pretty innocent mistake. You could just talk to them briefly and say that you thought your name would be on the board. You don't even have to mention that they adjusted it prematurely, just say you worked out a bunch that month and thought it would be there.

Or, if you don't feel like doing that then just make sure you get it next month.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Who are you losing weight for? To impress some strangers? Or for yourself?

Do this for you, and you alone :heart: You alone are worth it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Just to put it out there again, (not making excuses) but I overheard the Gym Employee saying she was bored that was why she was doing the board early...

Sooooo....an employee is bored with her day and decides to get a head start on something she has control over?

We are doing a whole misunderstood thread because a worker got bored? Is that right?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    You show up to workout.. You are a winner every single day you choose to do that!

I would be upset too, the lard has been motivating you.. You gotta find motivation where you can.

Keep going and be your personal best.

It will pay off in a confidence and pride that no board can bestow on you :)

LOL lard?
  • denisegunnels
    denisegunnels Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    We can't control other people, only how we react to them. You need to find a better motivation. The board is a cool idea but you've allowed yourself to be derailed by a totally outside influence. Ask yourself if you are really doing this for yourself. When you hit that point nothing will stop you. I do encourage you to keep doing/going/trying whatever you choose. Remember everytime you workout you are already lapping everyone on the couch.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    HurrjOo.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    We call this PRs (personal records) in CrossFit, but you can do something similar.
    sigh...

Cross Fit does not own PR's.

Anyone who lifts- or runs- or competes at anything or against themselves can set PR's.

Grumble.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Also I refuse to be a princess at the gym. I am an animal!

^^^ this

if they're giving out cavewoman of the month (or year or whatever)... then I'm in... lol :drinker:

btw OP I sympathise in that they changed the rules at the last minute... but whatever fat you burned this month, you still burned, you came closer to a goal that's so much more important than some name on some board. Your body's real. That board is just some thing someone made up. Focus on what you achieved for your body and keep on going.
  • chasingdreams18
    chasingdreams18 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and move on and think of your journey ahead! You can do this.