Are you REALLY doing everything possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,665 Member
    Options
    Word to the OP.

I even log "store d'oeuvres."

If you're not keeping yourself honest, why go through the charade?

"Store d'oeuvres" I like that a lot LOL!! Sounds like you must be familiar with the Costco Weekend :laugh:
    I did Costco this weekend. Ended up tasting TRI TIP and some Crab cakes. Bought the crab cakes!!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Word to the OP.

Oh god, 'store d'oeuvres' made me crack up so hard. I'm so glad there isn't a Sam's Club or Costco closer! I have to drive an hour to get those.

This post is brilliant and exactly what a lot of people need to hear.

I am doing this program for me. If I lie about how much I eat, how much I exercise, etc, I'm hurting no one but myself. But being COMPLETELY honest with myself has let me see problem areas, so I log it all.
    And if I don't work out for a week, oh well. That's on me. No one here is judging me, and if they are, screw them. This is about me, my health, and my weight loss.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I don't log calories, but the OP is DEAD ON.

I have grown to loathe all the excuses and scapegoating.

The overwhelming majority of people who are stalled, or not losing, are in that boat completely from overindulging. And so many of those people chose to be ignorant and delusional about their actions.
  • sarahclarke122
    Options
    I posted this to a discussion earlier ..but you to know more so I'm gonna copy it to here ..

"so before this I have already lost almost 100lbs but I've been stuck in the same general weight for a year .. And then in sept I decided to go back to school and gained about 15 lbs over 6 months. Anywho I noticed I was back to old habits and nipped it in the bud and got back on track. Then got this app to continue to help to be aware of my calorie intake (tracking helps me big time). And it says around 1500 should be my daily intake. I sometimes have trouble eating that much but I don't go under 1200. I've also now incorporated 15-25 mins of high intensity cardio and some arm strengthening exercise. As well I go to the pool once a week. I've been tracking for 27 days and am down four lbs. I'm very big on loosing slowly because It's better for keeping it off. And although loosing weight makes me happy and I wanna be smaller my main goal is to have a healthy lifestyle and for it to become more less like work. So far am I doing this right?"
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have been consistently losing about 1 pound a week since I started MFP last May. The weeks I lose 1/2 or none... I can definitely pinpoint why. I don't make excuses --- I just keep on trucking and bust it out the next week.

I know that if I really cut down on my eating... I would definitely lose more but I'd also probably be miserable and this whole process would feel more like a diet. I'm happy with my slow and steady loss though. :smile:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Well said, OP.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    It makes absolute zero sense for people to ask for help, and then lie.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of excuses for sure. Lot's of 'third party' reasons why people cant lose weight, for example, a 'plateau' - the magic imaginary wall which physically prevents people from losing weight, metabolism - so unfair that there are people that can scoff massive pizzas every day and not put on weight (just not true).

Weight loss is just one tough reality check and the only way to do it is to eat at a calorie deficit. Most people hide behind plateaus so they dont have to blame themselves for lack of weight loss.

There wasnt a plateau preventing you from putting on weight in the first place and so it shoudnt be news that there isnt one preventing you from losing it. It really is that simple.
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    Word.
  • cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options

OMG - If I don't watch it I can eat a second meal off my kids plates. It isn't even appetizing. It is like a compulsion and I have my mothers voice screeching in my mind not to throw food away because there are starving children somewhere! So I eat that last 1/4 of a pancake instead of scraping it in the garbage. I have four kids! Really! - my fat *kitten* hasn't saved one child a single hunger pang. :P If you see quick add calories in my diary - you know I've been snitching ;)

^ me.

^^^Me too. Fortunately only one kid...or who knows how much bigger I would be. :embarassed:
  • ninerbuff
    Options

OMG - If I don't watch it I can eat a second meal off my kids plates. It isn't even appetizing. It is like a compulsion and I have my mothers voice screeching in my mind not to throw food away because there are starving children somewhere! So I eat that last 1/4 of a pancake instead of scraping it in the garbage. I have four kids! Really! - my fat *kitten* hasn't saved one child a single hunger pang. :P If you see quick add calories in my diary - you know I've been snitching ;)

^ me.

^^^Me too. Fortunately only one kid...or who knows how much bigger I would be. :embarassed:
    I get it about not wanting to waste food. Just have to think about how big of portions even kids get these days. You're not wasting food, you just have to realize that kids eat the right amount that they need.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The truth shall set you free!

I log everything even if I blow my calorie deficiency or don't exercise. Even if a person doesn't log, your body will tell on you, anyway.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Word to the OP.

"Store d'oeuvres" I like that a lot LOL!! Sounds like you must be familiar with the Costco Weekend :laugh:
    Store d'oeuvres? Were we supposed to be logging those? Uh oh! Kidding. Thanks to my gluten and dairy intolerance I can't touch those things with a 9 foot pole. Oh but I do know my store's wine tasting peeps!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump