Bringing Dog to Gym

124»

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Dogs do not belong in the gym
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    I would be afraid for a Beagle getting hurt by an assailant. They aren't bred for protection.Someone attacking you might even use the dog to coerce you into doing what they want using the dog as a hostage! OC spray, on the other hand, is real protection you can keep on a key chain. I'm sorry about what happened to you and wish you the best of luck.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    get the dog registered as a therapy dog

Therapy dogs aren't protected by US law as service animals are
    Can I do that for a beagle?

Yes, you can register ANY breed as a therapy dog or a service dog, provided they can pass the required training.
    I know a girl who has her dog registered as a service animal. They cannot refuse service or entry to any business or establishment if the dog can pass the registry tests.

+1
    I think what people are saying is to continue to talk about it more appropriate places e.g. a therapist's office or a support forum for survivors. You'll meet many other people who are strong if you allow yourself to heal and find ways of addressing your fear vs using your experience as a crutch to bend the rules.

Wow, did you really just say that? Neither service dogs nor therapy dogs are "crutches" and your indication they they are is insulting not only to the millions of people who utilize them, but also to every persona and organization that advocates for their use. Crawl back into whatever hole you came from and take your ignorance with you.

You have no idea how ridiculous your post sounds, do you? People who don't have PTSD, physical or developmental disabilities should not have service dogs. I've read all her posts carefully to point where I stopped bothering. She expects her gym to allow an animal into the gym where there are potentially dangers and where people may have allergies. I have animals and would NEVER bring them to the gym - neither outside or indoors. I can't believe people are advocating for the neglect of animals so she can "feel" safe. That's sounds like a crutch to me. Its OK now to have feelings of hopelessness and fear but at some point its not only good but important for OP to be the survivor, not a victim.

She probably does have PTSD right now, but I still don't 'think it's a reason to take the dog to the gym.

Most people who don't live with PTSD wouldn't be able to comprehend the reasoning behind it. PTSD can be as challenging in terms of day to day living as someone with a physical disability. Only someone who has suffered with the condition can truly understand... That being said though I have only heard service animals given to veterans with PTSD. I would imagine if a blind person with a service animal would probably have a personal trainer and the dog would remain away from obvious danger spots.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    get the dog registered as a therapy dog

Therapy dogs aren't protected by US law as service animals are

Yes, you can register ANY breed as a therapy dog or a service dog, provided they can pass the required training.
    I know a girl who has her dog registered as a service animal. They cannot refuse service or entry to any business or establishment if the dog can pass the registry tests.

+1
    I think what people are saying is to continue to talk about it more appropriate places e.g. a therapist's office or a support forum for survivors. You'll meet many other people who are strong if you allow yourself to heal and find ways of addressing your fear vs using your experience as a crutch to bend the rules.

Wow, did you really just say that? Neither service dogs nor therapy dogs are "crutches" and your indication they they are is insulting not only to the millions of people who utilize them, but also to every persona and organization that advocates for their use. Crawl back into whatever hole you came from and take your ignorance with you.

You have no idea how ridiculous your post sounds, do you? People who don't have PTSD, physical or developmental disabilities should not have service dogs. I've read all her posts carefully to point where I stopped bothering. She expects her gym to allow an animal into the gym where there are potentially dangers and where people may have allergies. I have animals and would NEVER bring them to the gym - neither outside or indoors. I can't believe people are advocating for the neglect of animals so she can "feel" safe. That's sounds like a crutch to me. Its OK now to have feelings of hopelessness and fear but at some point its not only good but important for OP to be the survivor, not a victim.

:huh:

I swear I just read a post you wrote that criticized someone else over "reading comprehension". Now that's a :huh:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

You can do it for any dog. It isn't a "protection" dog, it's a dog to help you feel calm and relaxed. You could register a chihuahua or a great dane :)
    this,,its actually really easy to do..and sorry about the attack,some people are not worth the air they breath!

It *can* be easy to do - in the US. Which the OP is not. And as someone else already pointed out therapy or Emotional Support dogs are not always considered the same as Service dogs, which means they may or may not be protected - again which depends on where you are even within the US.
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 288 Member
    While I feel very badly for the OP, trying to pass off her dog as a therapy dog really does a disservice for bonafide therapy and service dogs. Any breed can qualify for those two titles, but be ready to back it up. That includes physician recommendation/requirement, veterinary examination/recommendation, and certification from whatever therapy/service group is germane. Things may be different in other countries. As a 30-yr member of the veterinary profession, IMHO the beagle (wonderful as the breed is) is not a front runner as a protection dog.....
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    I didn't read all of the replies so sorry if I'm repeating anything. My dog is a registered therapy dog, which is very different from a guide dog. My dog and I volunteered at the hospitals and nursing homes and in some schools doing therapy, different things in different places. I'm not sure in Taiwan what the rules would be, but here in Canada he had to pass a rigorous 1hour assessment from the vet-a vet that we had never seen before and had never been to that clinic before. They have to pass the testing to make sure they won't hurt or endanger anyone they come into contact with, in situations where people would not be expecting dogs, and also make sure they don't startle or panic with loud noises, dropping things, if people accdientally step on their tails, etc. However, since he was not my personal therapy dog I'm not sure how that would work as far as having your dog be able to come places with you, but as a therapy dog I could visit places with mine. Good luck and I am sorry that you were assaulted and that the staff at your gym are being cruel to you. I do think it is unsafe to leave your dog tied up and unsupervised somewhere though. Good luck!
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    I am sorry for what happened to you.

Your dog doesn't belong in the gym and I don't think that you do either right now

Perhaps you should take the time to focus on your mental state and work towards getting back to the gym when you are feeling mentally prepared to be able to be in large public settings again
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Don't tie your dog up outside the gym where people can find it and hurt it. Those a-holes moved it just to mess with it and you? What horrible, horrible people. Don't give them a chance to do that again.

And I'm really incredibly sorry about what happened to you. Therapy. Now. Your dog is your best friend but even best friends aren't trained to help with specific situations like this.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    1) Your dog may make you "feel" safe, but safety comes from being aware of your surroundings and having an exit/defense strategy everywhere you go.

2) You need to be able to protect yourself. It is no one else's responsibility but yours -- sometimes you have to be your own knight in shining armor.

3) Taiwan has extremely strict gun laws so owning a firearm or even ammunition is not possible for civilians, and of course criminals know this. Your self-defense options are limited and unfortunately criminals do often get away with violence against women. Self-defense classes may help you feel more prepared to defend yourself, but realistically (and I know some people are going to criticize me for saying this) it is extremely difficult to fight against someone large enough to overpower you or someone who has the element of surprise to their advantage. You can't count on physical strength to get you out of a dangerous situation.

4) Your weight has nothing to do with the attack and there's no use in replaying the scenarios in your mind. Focus on what you need to do in the future to be safe.

5) It sounds like the people at the gym are being rather cruel in moving your dog away from the gym so you'd think it ran away. In fact, that would be enough of a reason (to me) to find a new gym.

6) You are not alone. You will get through this. Stay strong.
  • Mycrazypumpkins
    Mycrazypumpkins Posts: 7 Member
    There are "emotional support" dogs, also. People who suffer from extreme anxiety or PTSD for whatever reason (usually trauma) have them to help with their anxiety. People who have these dogs feel relief when their anxiety rises by just touching the dog. . Animals can have incredible calming effects on people with anxiety. I am a flight attendant and see them quite often. I don't know if this lady wants her dog at the gym for physical protection...which a beagle probably can't provide...or for anxiety comfort.
    As far as her venting on here sometimes waiting for that 50 minute therapy session once a week isn't enough and she just needs some quick support because she's having a tough day. Sometimes people get relief just talking to a kind stranger in moments of sadness. To the OP...keep up the therapy and just know that the right guy will love you just the way you are. I've gained 40 pounds since my marriage and my husband tells me every day I'm beautiful. You will find one like that one day, too.
  • DavidDV78
    DavidDV78 Posts: 6 Member
    If you were Sexually Assaulted and could possibly have PTSD, the first step is to get diagnosed with PTSD, and then have the dog trained and registered as a PTSD service dog and then he can go anywhere you go
  • DavidDV78
    DavidDV78 Posts: 6 Member
    Wow it is amazing how so many people, who obviously have no idea or the first clue when it comes to PTSD have so much advice on what to, and not to do when it comes to it's treatment. No wonder we had to fight so hard to get the military to recognise it as an actual disability. PTSD is crippling and debilitating, service dogs for it are not for the protection of the sufferer, but more for the rest of the world around the person afflicted.
  • cbeevs
    cbeevs Posts: 41
    You are in a tough spot. the good news is, if you want the dog to be with you there are other things available besides the gym. Do you live where you can hike? Dogs love it. If you have a therapist, are there support groups with other women who might hike with you and your dog? I agree, don't leave a dog where someone might move it, or worse hurt it . (maybe steal it). Dogs are the best. Sorry about the assault. Maybe a self defense class would be good? Best of luck finding exercise in a safe place for you and the beagle.
  • mjbowman821
    mjbowman821 Posts: 66 Member
    I HAVE a Service dog (yellow Labrador) that was my wife's. We did do the training ourselves but he IS TRAINED to perform a SERVICE that she cannot do for herself. I taught him how to pick up things for her off the floor including credit cards and quarters and be able to place them on a counter. He can also open doors (refridgerator, handicapped and flat handled) There is a difference between a SERVICE dog or a therapy dog. My dog has done both. Therapy dogs are a feel good dogs. Service Dogs have jobs and WORK. ADA does not recognize a therapy dog as a service animal.
    As a American business the only 2 questions that can be asked are " Do you have a disability? and "Has your dog been trained." The dog is NOT required to wear a vest or have ID showing. Now if the dog does not act accordingly (bowel movement, aggression, barking etc) the business has every right to ask the person and the dog to leave.

I belong to K-9s for Warriors a group that trains service dogs for returning service members in need of them. Those that pass off their pets as service dogs when flying do a disservice to the real dogs that get bumped or make it harder for them to enjoy the equal access due to a pet that only has a online bought vest.