If 'eating clean' is so easy for you, how did you get fat?

Options

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I was fat because I love food and didn't realize the harm it was doing to my body. Now I'm leaner and I enjoy the benefits of eating clean. I'm not perfect but I try to eat at a 70/30 ratio.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    My diet before actively trying to lose weight was for the most part what people on here would call "clean eating". I just ate way too much. I have always been able to put away a lot food. I don't really like a lot of processed food, don't really eat fast food and prefer savory to sweet food for the most part. I have always loved eating until I am stuffed but I am learning to be satisfied with less. For me it was a change in quantity I needed not quality.

This describes me exactly. I love to cook. I rarely buy anything packaged. I make my own bread, my own crackers, my own granola. I can't imagine a situation in which I would eat fast food--the smell of it turns my stomach. I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian, but I love the challenge of vegan baking. But long story short, I was eating too much, and I had the mindset that since I worked out, I could eat as much as I wanted. I packed it on slowly, but I packed it on.

I guess that lies in one's definition of eating clean (which I think is what many are arguing here - people just use 'eat clean' and it really doesn't mean anything, or at least means something different to everyone).

Mine is eating plenty of meat, vegetables, and fruits. Yours is eating plenty of homemade baked goods.

I would definitely get fat if I always had homemade bread, crackers, and granola in the house. There's nothing to keep you full in that (except for granola, which may be filling for some but is very high cal - though for me I could eat it all day without getting full).
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I started eating clean recently. I got fat after eating boxes of brownies, bags of cookies, 3 sandwiches in a day, anything and everything from the frozen section, pasta (mac and cheese and those sidekick type of things), chicken fingers, cheese and crackers (not in moderation), and eating fast food almost every day.

So eating clean made me lose weight because I'm not eating so much cr@p. 57lbs lost in 5.5 months. Yea I'll stick to eating clean.

actually it was a calorie deficet that made you lose weight....

sorry eating "clean" is a buzz word and will have no impact on weight loss if you don't do it in moderation too...

Go tell that to Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) who eats clean for six months at at time while he shreds and bulks. Eating garbage is exactly that garbage. If one is trying to lose weight or gain, clean eating should be hugely considered. The by-products in food from any restaurant is crap you don't need in your system if you are wanting to be healthy. Especially from fast food restaurants. A 600 calorie meal you prepare at home with quality proteins, carbs and fats is and always will win over junk from McDonald's.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Easy answer in my case... I got very ill and went from being a Fitness Instructor and Physio Rehab to someone who couldn't walk two flat blocks. I ate the same, couldn't burn it off and gained 30 lbs in 4 years - an average of 2/3 of a lb a month, pretty d*mn easy to do.
    Now, although I am returning to better health, I have to pay attention to my food.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I am more curious about those who " eat 1000 calories and full" while having 100 pounds to lose...I am a slight case of food addiction so I know why I can't lose weight...

Ya, I honestly think those people are lying to themselves. I can't imagine overweight people not being able to eat 1200 calories.

That or they've starved themselves for so long that their metabolism is so damaged that it's barely burning anything.

I have a friend who swears by eating clean making her lose weight...The fact is every time she goes on diet, she cuts out pizza, brownie, and other "junk food" she called. But I am tired of explaining to her why she loses weight because she insists that it's eating clean the key to weight loss while carbs make her gain weight...oh well...

But that's where we differ in opinion. In a sense, she is losing weight because she's eating clean.

Eating all that junk, it's easy for her to get to 2000+ calories. Cutting that out and eating real food makes it much harder to overeat.

Yes, at the end of the day, she's eating fewer calories, but it's because she's eating foods the fill her up much more than she did before.

But, ya, if she decides she wants to start eating like she did before, she'll obviously gain the weight back. That's why people talk about making it a 'lifestyle' and developing new 'habits'.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My diet before actively trying to lose weight was for the most part what people on here would call "clean eating". I just ate way too much. I have always been able to put away a lot food. I don't really like a lot of processed food, don't really eat fast food and prefer savory to sweet food for the most part. I have always loved eating until I am stuffed but I am learning to be satisfied with less. For me it was a change in quantity I needed not quality.

This describes me exactly. I love to cook. I rarely buy anything packaged. I make my own bread, my own crackers, my own granola. I can't imagine a situation in which I would eat fast food--the smell of it turns my stomach. I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian, but I love the challenge of vegan baking. But long story short, I was eating too much, and I had the mindset that since I worked out, I could eat as much as I wanted. I packed it on slowly, but I packed it on.

I guess that lies in one's definition of eating clean (which I think is what many are arguing here - people just use 'eat clean' and it really doesn't mean anything, or at least means something different to everyone).

Mine is eating plenty of meat, vegetables, and fruits. Yours is eating plenty of homemade baked goods.

I would definitely get fat if I always had homemade bread, crackers, and granola in the house. There's nothing to keep you full in that (except for granola, which may be filling for some but is very high cal - though for me I could eat it all day without getting full).

Eh, I didn't have those around so much--I was just giving them as an example of things that people usually purchase in packaged form that I make at home. I also was eating and continue to eat mostly locally grown, preferably organic fruits and vegetables and a healthy dose of locally caught fish, with a little locally raised meat thrown in for good measure. (I live near one of the country's largest farmer's markets and buy most of what I eat there.) I always assume by "eating clean" people mean eating whole foods. But I can eat a lot of whole foods.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty clean simply because I don't know how to cook. I barely know how to use my oven and microwave. :)
    I dont like hambergs and soda because I didn't grow up eating that stuff. My "dirty food" will be a trip to the nearest asian store and get a bag of dumplings. :)
  • albayin
    Options
    I am more curious about those who " eat 1000 calories and full" while having 100 pounds to lose...I am a slight case of food addiction so I know why I can't lose weight...

Ya, I honestly think those people are lying to themselves. I can't imagine overweight people not being able to eat 1200 calories.

That or they've starved themselves for so long that their metabolism is so damaged that it's barely burning anything.

I have a friend who swears by eating clean making her lose weight...The fact is every time she goes on diet, she cuts out pizza, brownie, and other "junk food" she called. But I am tired of explaining to her why she loses weight because she insists that it's eating clean the key to weight loss while carbs make her gain weight...oh well...

But that's where we differ in opinion. In a sense, she is losing weight because she's eating clean.

Eating all that junk, it's easy for her to get to 2000+ calories. Cutting that out and eating real food makes it much harder to overeat.

Yes, at the end of the day, she's eating fewer calories, but it's because she's eating foods the fill her up much more than she did before.

But, ya, if she decides she wants to start eating like she did before, she'll obviously gain the weight back. That's why people talk about making it a 'lifestyle' and developing new 'habits'.

Ya know I don't disagree...I guess we all take one side of the same story and run it. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I started eating clean recently. I got fat after eating boxes of brownies, bags of cookies, 3 sandwiches in a day, anything and everything from the frozen section, pasta (mac and cheese and those sidekick type of things), chicken fingers, cheese and crackers (not in moderation), and eating fast food almost every day.

So eating clean made me lose weight because I'm not eating so much cr@p. 57lbs lost in 5.5 months. Yea I'll stick to eating clean.

actually it was a calorie deficet that made you lose weight....

sorry eating "clean" is a buzz word and will have no impact on weight loss if you don't do it in moderation too...

Go tell that to Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) who eats clean for six months at at time while he shreds and bulks. Eating garbage is exactly that garbage. If one is trying to lose weight or gain, clean eating should be hugely considered. The by-products in food from any restaurant is crap you don't need in your system if you are wanting to be healthy. Especially from fast food restaurants. A 600 calorie meal you prepare at home with quality proteins, carbs and fats is and always will win over junk from McDonald's.

Stop with the lies. Food =/= "garbage"
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty clean simply because I don't know how to cook. I barely know how to use my oven and microwave. :)
    I dont like hambergs and soda because I didn't grow up eating that stuff. My "dirty food" will be a trip to the nearest asian store and get a bag of dumplings. :)

This is what gets me about clean eating. How in hell are dumplings "dirty?" WTF?????
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Also when you are eating cleaner you are putting beneficial things into your body. It is harder to reach high calories on clean foods so you can eat more healthier things. Great thread!
  • nobel99
    nobel99 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love all these posts! I'm hungry right now....I tried to replace my McD's breakfast with a homemade protein smoothie....not happening. I'm HUNGRY, did I mention that? I eat because food tastes good and I really don't like cooking. I do it because I have a family to feed. I was looking for an easy way to lose weight but truth be told....it's never easy. This MFP has been an inspriation to me.....reading about everyone else's struggles makes me feel more normal. It has made me be accountable for the food I eat by logging it every day and I'm coming up to a year and I've managed to do it daily. I'm reading everyone else's diary entries....cool way to see what other people make for snacks/meals. There are so many (what I feel, are) "fads" out there...gluten free (I totally understand if eliminating gluten makes you feel better or have a medical diagnosis) Paleo (I have no idea what that is), low/no carb, raw foods....eeek! I cannot keep up, but I have found on the MFP ....generally it's eating less than you're burning in calories. Pretty black & white to me. I got fat because I got lazy. I prefer to sit in front of Facebook. Eating clean? I dunno ...that means washing your lettuce before you make a salad.
  • albayin
    Options

This is what gets me about clean eating. How in hell are dumplings "dirty?" WTF?????

That's why I used double quote, bro/sis~
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

BUT both pizza and brownies can be clean if made from scratch using organic ingredients. The problem is 'clean' does not necessarily mean 'low calorie'. Even those on a Paleo diet can eat brownies made using quinoa rather than flour! Honestly, someone can cook from scratch using inferior ingredients which does not make the end product clean OR they can use quality ingredients to give a 'clean' product. Although the two products will look the same, one will have a wide range of food additives while the other will not YET both could have close to the same calories. Eating clean is not about calories, it is about avoiding the food additives and other nasties.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    Eating clean is not easy, anything that involves food is not easy. Lol I'm addicted and I can't stop.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options

I could have written this post. I've only been eating healthier and exercising for 2 weeks and I'm down 3.2lbs. Granted, I have a LOT to lose. It tends to come off of obese people at a faster rate then someone who only has 10-20lbs (just throwing out a random number) to lose.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    i'm sure what they mean to say is "since i've decided to commit to being healthy, it has been easy"

before, they ate what they wanted and didn't care, now that they made the commitment to being healthy, they realized how easy it is for them.... i am NOT one of those people, it is a struggle for me, but that's just my two cents.

My first thoughts as well. Once they decided to improve their lifestyle it was easier than they thought it was going to be.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Well this is an easy question to answer. I have eaten clean for years, by "clean" I mean real foods (not packaged), home cooked, etc. I got fat eating clean. Why? My portions were too big. Pretty simple math got me to that conclusion. Too many calories and you'll get fat. Doesn't matter if those excess calories are from buckwheat and broccoli or Oreos. Granted, this made losing weight easier for me than most, since I was already eating healthy, i just had to reduce portion size. I still was a good 30 lbs overweight though.
  • soccerdog693
    soccerdog693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    For me, eating clean (somewhere between 90-99% clean on any given day) means only eating things that are beneficial to my body and not overly processed. Veggies, fruits, lean meat (that I cook myself) and the occasional piece of whole wheat bread for a sandwich. This allows me to eat a higher quality and larger volume of food while easily staying under my calorie goal. I know the calories I am eating are associated with vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats/carbs, and that gives me a lot of pride. I completely changed my relationship with food - now it is something I eat to sustain my body, as opposed to something that I ate for pure enjoyment. This doesn't mean I don't have the occasional dessert or meal out, but I try to save those foods for social settings. When I was only eating at a calorie deficit I ate junk and ended up being hungry from eating to little. Eating clean helps me reach my macros, too. I have not given up the diet soda though :P

I'm not saying that you can't lose weight by eating junk food - but I couldn't. I took advantage of the system. Eating clean has done a lot for me, physically, mentally, and emotionally.
  • RubixProbz
    Options
    I got fat by eating fast food and pizza whenever I was bored instead of hungry.

Eating clean is easy for me now, because I don't eat junk like that anymore. I don't crave it, I don't want it, and I certainly don't need it. It actually repulses me when I see anyone eating processed or fast foods. Eating clean isn't just the smart thing to do, but becoming "obsessed" with clean eating is how you get results.