Over 50 ladies - how did you finally lose the weight?

Options
1235»

Replies

• chetvr
    chetvr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I get what you are going through with the last 10 lbs! I am a 58 yr old female that let 10 lbs creep back last year. To get rid of them I tracked, I ate less and lost 5 pounds before I plateaued. I ate less, then even less. and my body hung in there, refusing to drop a single pound again, even gaining a fluctuating 2-3 lbs for almost 2 months! I added back my consistent exercise (even ate a little over my calories and changed routine meals) but made exercise consistent. I'm down 8 pound now. Whew! I guess it took me the year to put the 10 pounds on but, of course, I wanted them to come off faster.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why he just didn't send it to me to begin with, sigh.
    ...because you asked a general question that warranted a simple response.
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    First, ignore the trolls who lay in wait to say snarky things on any thread on any iteration of "why isn't the weight moving?" Your question has attracted one or two of them here--these people pop up over and over to say the same unkind things on every thread of this nature.

As a pre-menopausal woman (I'll be 50 next year), I have noticed losing weight is a very different experience now than it was when I was in my thirties and forties. It's harder. The reasons, I think, might be myriad:

One, we know from science that we lose muscle every year. It's common sense that, unless you've carefully maintained muscle tone through adulthood, you have less muscle now than you did in earlier decades, so you have a smaller percentage of your body mass that burns calories at rest.

Two, women in their fifties and older no longer have regular cycles for natural cycles of water retention and elimination. I worked for 3 months, carefully counting calories, maintaining the right nutrient balance, and exercising, but did not begin to lose weight until I had a cycle. Where you are in that hormone cycle is manipulating your water retention, which will mask for some period the weight loss you are achieving. But stick with it! Eventually, your body will stabilize and you will experience results. It can take, sometimes, quite a long time. For me, it was 12 weeks of consistency before the scale budged. But it has started to regularly move down as I continue with my good habits.

For me (and to more directly answer your question), the number one thing that helped me, as a woman in my (almost) fifties has been:

*Weight training*

It's a strategy to accomplish the goal that requires some faith, because initially, weight training keeps the scale from moving. As your muscles are being torn-down and rebuilt, there is water involved, and some studies (not all) say that muscle weighs more than fat. But keep going. You will first notice a difference in the way your clothes fit. But eventually, your weight will also start to decline. It will happen. It is happening (finally) for me.

From there, my remaining list of "most effectives" would include:

Bumping up Protein in the Diet, Trying to Diminish Sugar/Carbs

Drinking Lots of Water

Buying an Inexpensive Food Scale (you probably are already using one; I just thought I'd mention it)

Using a Heart Rate Monitor to Track Calorie Burn Accurately (again, you probably already do. Just in case you're in the market, Polar makes very good ones. Here's the one I use: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1395609027&sr=1-1&keywords=heart+rate+monitor)

And Lastly (as unfair as it seems because after all, the MFP formulas are supposed to have a calorie deficit BUILT IN), Not Eating All your Exercise Calories Back. (It took me a while to accept this. Exercise is such hard work--why do it if it doesn't mean you can eat more?) But in the end, NOT eating all my exercise calories (I try to leave 100-200 in my account at the end of the day) DID help. Darn it! :wink:

Good luck. For some of us, weight loss is an exercise in patience. I'm with you on the "Sure and Steady Wins the Race" team. :smile:

This ^^^^ Just have to bump things up a notch - eat a little less, move a little more, and incorporate strength training.
  • peggymunsell
    peggymunsell Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I did not discount your advice - I never said it wasn't valid. I was just looking for more suggestions other than the obvious "calorie deficit." Yes, I wanted advice from women my age and that's what I asked for. You gave me an obvious answer with no other suggestions. So I ask you, if you wrote that huge post, why didn't you send me that? I would have really appreciated it. Is it because you are sick of people asking and you have gotten lazy in your response? If that's the case, than you shouldn't be responding.

your first response to me was:
    What was the number one thing that worked for you
    same thing that works for everyone else. calorie deficit.
    You are clearly not a woman over 50.

immediately discounting my post since I wasn't a woman over 50.

maybe consider your own responses when you ask a general question that has a simple response.

you assumed that weight loss for women over 50 was somehow magically different.
    Let's agree to disagree. Please don't respond to anymore of my posts.
    you don't understand public forums either.
    and you can't take direction. Please go away now.

:laugh: You got some really amazing advice and it was HIS advice, presented by a different member. Your OP wasn't an explanation of how you've had success with a calorie deficit and then you hit menopause or 50 or whatever and now it's not working. You asked for the #1 thing that has worked for women over 50, PERIOD, end of story. He answered you.

Had you responded in a light hearted way explaining that you've tried that and it's not working anymore, you probably would have gotten a heartfelt and helpful response. Instead you blew him off and you're now bent out of shape about being called out on your bad attitude. Trog is one of the most helpful people on this site and NOT lazy in his replies. His reply was only as lazy as your question, OP. Good luck with your fitness goals and navigating the forums with a chip on your shoulder.

"maybe consider your own responses when you ask a general question that has a simple response. "

"you assumed that weight loss for women over 50 was somehow magically different."

Sorry, but I felt that he wasn't here to help me - he was here to argue. What I say stands. He is clearly not a women over 50. I'm sure he has a lot to offer but like I said before, I did not post to argue. I don't have a chip. He could have also come back and light heartedly said, no - "I am not a woman over 50 but here's what I know" and then offered all of the great suggestions that you claim he has offered others in the past instead of the simple response that he initially offered. Sigh, that's the problem with the internet - a lot gets lost in translation.

That is what you asked and how you responded to him. What's the #1 thing that worked for you. Simple. Anyone despite their age can actually answer that question. Especially someone like Trog who has lost 153 lbs. 153 lbs. Seriously, he must know something about something, even if he's a man in his 30s. Yes, ladies hormones can be different, but not different enough to discount anything he says. You asked a simple question, he gave you a simple response. No snark came in until you replied with it.
    Sorry, but I felt that he wasn't here to help me - he was here to argue.

How? How did you feel he wasn't here to help you? Because he only gave you a simple answer to your simple question? You didn't put anymore info into what you were asking, specifics. Anyone who responds to this are they supposed to be mind readers as to what you are really looking for? No. I wouldn't be either. Normally I would have just responded the same way he did. Does that make a difference? I'm 66 and would have said exactly what he said in his first response to you.

The problem is you assumed from the get go that he wanted to argue and you were wrong. It's okay to be wrong. You clearly do have a chip and the only one wanting to argue. Just because he's a man and in his 30s doesn't make any of his advice wrong at all. I've been following it, my daughter has been following it. We've both lost a good amount of weight.

Things only get lost in translation when you don't give all the details. Be more specific next time you ask a question.
  • MASBonnie
    MASBonnie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are right. When you look at your tracking there is a break down of each of the food items (protein, fat, sugar, etc). I found that even though I was eating healthy things, I was exceeding the maximums of some of these categories. When I switched to other foods, I saw results. Obviously exercise is a component of weight loss - I think we all know that. I have also found that drinking milk helps. I used to think that I was "wasting my calories" on milk, but it did make a difference. I'd be interested to hear about your success.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Age is really irrelevant to everything but your BMR or TDEE.
    Otherwise, it's the same for everyone - a calorie deficit, and only a calorie deficit.
    Good luck.

I don't understand this post. BMR and TDEE have everything to do with creating a calorie deficit. So essentially isn't this saying 'Age is really irrelevant to everything except that which is most relevant to weight loss'.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why he just didn't send it to me to begin with, sigh.
    ...because you asked a general question that warranted a simple response.

Fair enough. Let's be clear, I don't care that you are not a woman. If you had sent me that long post that the other person had sent me that you wrote. I really would have appreciated it. A lot of people here have vouched for you here, so I want to say for the record that I am sorry that I got so frustrated with you. Like I said, I don't post that much. Next time I will be sure to put more detail into my question. Can we call a truce?
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Age is really irrelevant to everything but your BMR or TDEE.
    Otherwise, it's the same for everyone - a calorie deficit, and only a calorie deficit.
    Good luck.

I don't understand this post. BMR and TDEE have everything to do with creating a calorie deficit. So this essentially isn't this saying 'Age is really irrelevant to everything except that which is most relevant to weight loss'.

No. It's saying that the method of weight loss is the same for everyone. If OP was asking for help determining her TDEE, age would have been relevant. That's not what she asked.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    I did not discount your advice - I never said it wasn't valid. I was just looking for more suggestions other than the obvious "calorie deficit." Yes, I wanted advice from women my age and that's what I asked for. You gave me an obvious answer with no other suggestions. So I ask you, if you wrote that huge post, why didn't you send me that? I would have really appreciated it. Is it because you are sick of people asking and you have gotten lazy in your response? If that's the case, than you shouldn't be responding.

your first response to me was:

immediately discounting my post since I wasn't a woman over 50.

maybe consider your own responses when you ask a general question that has a simple response.

you assumed that weight loss for women over 50 was somehow magically different.
    Let's agree to disagree. Please don't respond to anymore of my posts.
    you don't understand public forums either.
    and you can't take direction. Please go away now.

:laugh: You got some really amazing advice and it was HIS advice, presented by a different member. Your OP wasn't an explanation of how you've had success with a calorie deficit and then you hit menopause or 50 or whatever and now it's not working. You asked for the #1 thing that has worked for women over 50, PERIOD, end of story. He answered you.

Had you responded in a light hearted way explaining that you've tried that and it's not working anymore, you probably would have gotten a heartfelt and helpful response. Instead you blew him off and you're now bent out of shape about being called out on your bad attitude. Trog is one of the most helpful people on this site and NOT lazy in his replies. His reply was only as lazy as your question, OP. Good luck with your fitness goals and navigating the forums with a chip on your shoulder.

"maybe consider your own responses when you ask a general question that has a simple response. "

"you assumed that weight loss for women over 50 was somehow magically different."

Sorry, but I felt that he wasn't here to help me - he was here to argue. What I say stands. He is clearly not a women over 50. I'm sure he has a lot to offer but like I said before, I did not post to argue. I don't have a chip. He could have also come back and light heartedly said, no - "I am not a woman over 50 but here's what I know" and then offered all of the great suggestions that you claim he has offered others in the past instead of the simple response that he initially offered. Sigh, that's the problem with the internet - a lot gets lost in translation.

That is what you asked and how you responded to him. What's the #1 thing that worked for you. Simple. Anyone despite their age can actually answer that question. Especially someone like Trog who has lost 153 lbs. 153 lbs. Seriously, he must know something about something, even if he's a man in his 30s. Yes, ladies hormones can be different, but not different enough to discount anything he says. You asked a simple question, he gave you a simple response. No snark came in until you replied with it.
    Sorry, but I felt that he wasn't here to help me - he was here to argue.

How? How did you feel he wasn't here to help you? Because he only gave you a simple answer to your simple question? You didn't put anymore info into what you were asking, specifics. Anyone who responds to this are they supposed to be mind readers as to what you are really looking for? No. I wouldn't be either. Normally I would have just responded the same way he did. Does that make a difference? I'm 66 and would have said exactly what he said in his first response to you.

The problem is you assumed from the get go that he wanted to argue and you were wrong. It's okay to be wrong. You clearly do have a chip and the only one wanting to argue. Just because he's a man and in his 30s doesn't make any of his advice wrong at all. I've been following it, my daughter has been following it. We've both lost a good amount of weight.

Things only get lost in translation when you don't give all the details. Be more specific next time you ask a question.
    He was under the impression that I didn't like his advice because he's a man - and maybe I mistakenly gave him that impression. I was not discounting what he said because he wasn't a 50 year old woman. That's the arguing that I am talking about.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    th_popconcat.gif
  • peggymunsell
    peggymunsell Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    He was under the impression that I didn't like his advice because he's a man - and maybe I mistakenly gave him that impression. I was not discounting what he said because he wasn't a 50 year old woman. That's the arguing that I am talking about.

You clearly told him "You are clearly not a woman over 50." As you said, maybe you mistakenly gave him that impression. I'd say anyone being told you are clearly not a woman over 50 would get that impression.

Anyhow. Good luck to you.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and the same tactics that work for others, exercise and logging and watching calories, work. However, your metabolism does slow down so you may find that you have to lower your calorie target to lose weight. Also, lifting weights helps immensely with metabolism as well as maintaining strength (and let us not forget "hotness").

The hardest part for me is adjusting my mind set about what I should look like and realizing that weight comes off faster in some places and slower than others compared to when I was younger. My waist is slower to respond but my hips are getting slim quickly. On the plus size, I no longer have periods that make me want to eat everything in sight. (The change, of course, may not have the same affect on you).

In reading MFP posts I have seen/read inspiring success stories with pics from women who have disabilities or who recently had children. My point is that we all have challenges that require hard work and creativity in order to be successfully in losing weight and reshaping our body. Challenges are not excuses. Obstacles are what make success all the more sweet!

Sharon Stone in a recent interview in Shape magazine stated “This idea that being youthful is the only thing that’s beautiful or attractive simply isn’t true. I don’t want to be an ‘ageless beauty.’ I want to be a woman who is the best I can be at my age.” All women over 50 can't look like Sharon but we certainly can adopt her attitude.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    I am 51 and the same tactics that work for others, exercise and logging and watching calories, work. However, your metabolism does slow down so you may find that you have to lower your calorie target to lose weight. Also, lifting weights helps immensely with metabolism as well as maintaining strength (and let us not forget "hotness").

The hardest part for me is adjusting my mind set about what I should look like and realizing that weight comes off faster in some places and slower than others compared to when I was younger. My waist is slower to respond but my hips are getting slim quickly. On the plus size, I no longer have periods that make me want to eat everything in sight. (The change, of course, may not have the same affect on you).

In reading MFP posts I have seen/read inspiring success stories with pics from women who have disabilities or who recently had children. My point is that we all have challenges that require hard work and creativity in order to be successfully in losing weight and reshaping our body. Challenges are not excuses. Obstacles are what make success all the more sweet!

Sharon Stone in a recent interview in Shape magazine stated “This idea that being youthful is the only thing that’s beautiful or attractive simply isn’t true. I don’t want to be an ‘ageless beauty.’ I want to be a woman who is the best I can be at my age.” All women over 50 can't look like Sharon but we certainly can adopt her attitude.
    Thanks! You are gorgeous by the way.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I saw a lot of good things here.
    The main item really does have to know your intake and outputs, and eat less than you burn..

I will add to the "eat real food" suggestion:
    Be aware of how various foods affect your body. Some, even though they are ostensibly "healthy", will set up cravings.
    Example: commercially raised meat and many processed foods do not satisfy my hunger. They leave me hungrier after eating and craving sweets.
    This awareness has been helping me to reduce the proportion of commercially processed foods in my food plan.

One more suggestion:
    Try not to think of changing how you eat as a "diet." The word "diet" can poison the best of intentions.
    I call it "modifying my food choices." Just feels better.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 but middle aged is middle aged IMHO. I'm old enough to be a grandma. My diet advice is the same as everyone else's. Burn more than you eat. My exercise advice is always the same: Find a physical activity that entices you! For me it's been Martial Arts. I am always happy to show up for class even if I thought I was too tired when I hopped in the car. There are so many activities to choose from Biking, hiking, dance (very popular lots of types!), yoga etc... I also weight train with my DH to improve my sparring skills. It's so much easier to lift weights with a goal rather than just having it as a chore. Good luck!
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've spammed this in hundreds of threads... I figured it was about time to give this info a permanent home.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.

I love this and I love you!! This is awesome. Thank you so much for posting. I especially like "Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE."
    you know a guy wrote that, right?

give you two guesses who...

xFavcfz.gif

so is it valid advice now? since a guy under 50 wrote it?
    Oh my goodness! Too, too funny. Hiya Peggy!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    ... However, your metabolism does slow down so you may find that you have to lower your calorie target to lose weight.

Just as an FYI, when you enter your info into MFP to set your goals, one of those is your age, so the calorie target you are given already accounts for age. So that's factored in already, and you don't need to lower it further.
  • drosenberg
    drosenberg Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there, I am 51 and could really use some support as I begin to put exercise and low carb eating habits together. I am pretty good at exercising, and love to jog and engage in some resistance exercises, but often I eat too much when I exercise, and alas, I have really been down in the dumps about the whole thing. Worse yet, I stopped exercising regularly, and well you know the rest.

So I am going to get serious and I haven't reached out before. Could use some support , success stories etc. Trying to figure this posting thing was a challenge but here I am.

Does posting daily help with accountability and support?:heart:
  • Sf0rza
    Sf0rza Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Logging food daily was a turning point for me - that and reading the various links posted in this discussion. I weigh everything, record everything and am very slowly losing weight. I'm not hungry and it feels pretty sustainable. But it is very slow and it took me 3-4 weeks before I started to see any results whatsoever. I don't post on the site but I do read the threads, ther's some great support here. Good luck :-)
  • LucieOsh
    LucieOsh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue as many others over 50 -- it used to be relatively simple to lose a few extra pounds but that changed after menopause. I put on eight pounds over the last year, without eating any more than I used to, and continuing to exercise an average of 60 minutes every day. Very frustrating! I know I should increase resistance training but I don't enjoy using weights.