What was the first thing you changed?

Options

Replies

• MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Started lifting hard to fix weak asthmatic lungs. Turned out as best thing i ever did.

This makes me happy :)

Lifting for me too. And research. Copious amounts of research.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I started accurately logging with a food scale and being consistent with workouts even when I didn't feel like moving. If I went over on my calories by 100-300 I didn't care b/c I was logging and I could look back over those days to make better choices going forward. I also spend A LOT more time in the kitchen weighing, measuring and prepping.
  • jolancy
    jolancy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ashamed to admit this, but I used to eat 3-4 packets of crisps per day; 1 with lunch, 1 mid-afternoon with a choc bar, 1 or 2 packs as a mid-evening snack too. Crisps are my weakness, so couldn't cut them out entirely so decided to just keep the lunchtime pack and ditch the rest. After a few weeks of that, swapped my mid-afternoon choc bar for a kids-size / mini choc bar, next was starting to take a short walk during my lunch break then it just snow-balled from then on. Didn't start on MFP until after I'd made those changes and a few friends had commented that it looked like I'd lost weight, so I thought it would be an idea to keep a track of progress and have been here ever since, 60lbs down and now trying to maintain.
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    First I started watching my portions, not getting seconds, and not mindlessly snacking all day. Making my food accountable or a SMALL treat.

Then I added exercise and started tracking and bought a food scale to really help with portion size (found mine for $6 on amazon)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    My attitude.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I quit "grazing" and logged what I eat on MyFitnessPal.
  • 1948sixty
    1948sixty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It was a combination of minor adjustments: protein at every meal, dramatically increased intake of water, added strength training.
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Tracking my food and going back to swimming.
  • jwhackers84
    jwhackers84 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The very first thing I changed was that I upped my water intake, and lowered my intake of coffee and diet soda. I used to drink coffee and diet soda all day and no water at all! Now I have cut coffee almost completely out of my diet. I have a cup of green tea every morning and I allow myself one can of Diet Rite Cola a day if I want it, but the rest is water water water!
  • Wegs813
    Wegs813 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mountain Dew! And it is still a daily struggle for me!
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Tracking not only my food but details about it. Like how much food, even those little bites while cooking or when "grazing" throughthe fridge. So I guess, it was being honest about my food.
  • momof2boyz832
    momof2boyz832 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Significantly reduces wine intake.. Not exactly what I wanted to do but the desire to lose the weight was more important..
    At the same time I logged all food and drinks and exercised on a daily basis.. It helps to keep me focused..
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Me it was lowering my love/hate relationship with bread ... :D

have you tried the sara lee brand wheat and multi-grain bread and buns. Only 90 cals for two peices of bread or 80 for a hamburger bun and I get to keep some fiber and iron in my life....YAY!

My first changes were: not as much (almost none) diet soda. no aspartame. no more alcohol every other weekend haha. also the biggest change was being aware of portion sizes and measuring everything for accuracy.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I did baby steps....first to go was soda...then sugar in my coffee....then small things here and there like hash browns...one piece of bread instead of two...more veggies and fruits...etc...

the MFP! That's where it all really came together for me.
  • FatNFightingIt
    FatNFightingIt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    First thing for me was I cut soda out of my life. Even if I'm sick, I have a hard time drinking 7up because I conditioned it so hard that it was not helping me.
  • jadedarr
    jadedarr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    1 - Stopped drinking pepsi/cola
    2 - Cut out pasta and bread most of the time
    3 - Forced myself to exercise. Even if only for 10 min
  • mariai_martinez
    mariai_martinez Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started tracking my food intake. For me I have always guesstimated, and told myself it would be too much work to actually keep track. Well I have made several lifestyles changes since Dec. 2012, one of them was working out consistently and I lost 30lbs. I am continuing to lose weight, but its slowed drastically. When I punched in all the items I eat in a normal day I was only consuming 950-1,000 calories!!! My poor body was starving, I am feeding it now though, and am looking forward to this journey! :)
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I remember the very first change we made, going from two large size bag of chips a week to one. lol, it seems so funny now, but we knew in our house we had to go slow and steady.

Every week or two we stopped bringing something else into the house, no more soda, no chips at all, no more ice cream. Also, we started introducing more produce into the house. It worked for us, my husband lost 100 pounds and has maintained for about six years or so.

We only have junk on the weekends, and I track it all, the good, the bad, the ugly. And the tasty.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    My mindset. I really needed to prepare mentally for all the changes to come. The next thing I did was start logging everything.