Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• brasslady1
    brasslady1 Posts: 113
    Options
    Lol.......I really love it when I see a close friend that I haven't seen in let say in about 6 months..........and the last time they saw you ...you were about 40 lbs heavier.........and they say nothing at all..........you can either take it that they didn't think you were heavy or maybe just being a little envious.......who knows but I know it really bugs me...
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Well this happened to me for the first time on Monday of this week. Two female co-workers were teasing me about how I am getting "too skinny". One of them eventually said that I no longer have a butt for her to look at anymore... lol. My wife loved that one when I told her. It's kind of nice to hear something like that after never hearing it your whole life.
  • caramel1920
    caramel1920 Posts: 271
    Options
    Well, not getting the comments about how I look because I'm not there yet, but I am getting comments about what I eat.."is that all you're eating?" "There she goes again with that boring lunch" "Do you want some?" "Girl, life's too short, just eat what you want" When I assure them that I am eating what I want and that my food is delicious they don't believe me, which is fine, it's just annoying as hell sometimes!!!! I'm going to continue to have my fresh fruit and cottage cheese with my lunch and they're just gonna have to put on their big girl panties and deal with it! :):bigsmile:
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose anymore weight.
  • dianalee9
    dianalee9 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The last conversation with one of my sister-in-laws (who is also overweight, her and I used to borrow each others clothes):

Her: "Oh wow! You really are losing weight. What are you doing?"
    Me: "Working out every day, and watching what I eat mainly"
    Her: "Oh? That's it? I've never been able lose with that easily"
    Me: (chuckling) "Oh it's not easy. It's taken me a lot of willpower to get to this point and there are still days where I need to talk myself into it, but it is getting easier as things become habit"
    Her: "Well, I just REFUSE to eat like a bird to lose weight, I love food and I'm not going to starve myself"
    Me: "I'm not starving myself, and I love food too. That's how I gained all the weight to begin with. But I use this website called My Fitness Pal where you can log all your food and workouts and talk to like-minded people to help reach your goals. I still eat, and I can eat pretty much whatever I want as long as I stay within my calories. It's actually a pretty awesome site and it's free"
    Her: (rolling her eyes) "Ohhhhh....so you're one of THOSE people that actually weigh their food before they eat?? Oh God!! I don't even want to here anymore about it because with me being a stay at home mom with two kids, I don't even have the time to think about doing that"
    Me: (with a **** eating grin) "Ok. Well thanks for noticing though. That really means a lot to me. It really gives me the encouragement to keep going"

And she hasn't spoken to me since! Can you tell how much I care? :bigsmile:
  • sinistraltyger
    Options
    Though I have lost a significant amount of weight, I still wear the larger items until they just will not fit anymore -- I am good with loose clothing. *grin* It's when I actually wear something in my new size that it makes people look at me a couple of times, and then when they see me in the baggy clothes and suddenly realize they must have "imagined" it. When I have to completely change out my larger clothing sizes, is when I expect people to be surprised and the odd comments to come.
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yesterday at work two of the women I work with were talking about weight. Both of them are overweight. One said that she read a study saying people at middle age and older should carry some extra weight. According to this "study" the body can use that extra "cushion" when health problems happen. I didn't participate in the conversation, just listened.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people don't want you to continue because its an in your face reminder of what they should be doing. They mean well but does not realized it how comes across. Bottom-line: Do what's best for you!

PS: I had someone ask me if I was sick an another asked if I was losing on purpose.:indifferent:
  • newteachermom
    newteachermom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Uhm, I tooooootally agree!! I've heard:

"Don't lose it all!"
    "Don't lose too much!"
    "You look sickly" - my husband in an effort to get me to eat pizza so that he could eat some pizza. Didn't work.

It's super-duper annoying because then I want to be like, "Ohhh, okay. I'll eat that donut."

I know it's hard to see change but I just want people to say, "Awesome job! Keep it up!"

If you hear me throwing up in the bathroom then you should worry about me losing too much. :/

Rant over here too.
  • lauly101
    lauly101 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This guy at work who said 'you're not doing insanity are you? It's too hard for you' etc. etc. in Jan said to me the other day 'omg how much have you lost if you don't mind me asking?' (I don't!) me: '15lb' him: 'wow that's too much. You're too thin, you need to stop'. He says it with such controlling authority it does my head in. OK. I AM thinner than when I started (Jan 6th) but I am still a bit heavier than I want to be. I just said 'Well I was fat before' (which I was lol) and he said 'no you weren't' and me (because I can't help but bite) 'well I was a sz 16-18 before and at an unhealthy BMI. I was fat.' I *think* he is actually trying to be complimentary (well I know he was coz he was so nice before saying I looked ace) but it's just the authoritative way he says it like he knows everything about fitness just coz he is a primary school PE teacher it does my head in (poor dear was only being nice). Thing is, I sit with my arms out and theyre really thin and people just look at them and think 'she's dead thin' but really if I sat on the desk (I'm in Year R so am sat on a tiny desk lol) with my flabby cellulitic thighs and ample butt handing out people would think differently. I'd also get a disciplinary for sitting semi nude lol.
  • emmaelisenl
    emmaelisenl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just get annoyed that everyone keeps commenting on how good my boyfriend looks and that he must have lost weight while he only lost 2 lbs, I lost 33 lbs so far and NO ONE sees it, grrr!
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    usually people roll their eyes and say things like "its always those that dont need it" and when i say "it looks different in jeans than in a bikini" they look at me as if i had an eating disorder. its mostly heavily overweight people who think im silly or feel insulted that I dare to talk about weight loss while they are obese..

one girl surprised me the other day though. she was quite obese but she did understand where i was coming from and said "yeah, i understand. there is always shaping and perfecting to be done."
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    here is one i found funny... the art teacher said that my face look like the size of her fist....
  • jannof
    jannof Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! Not one person at work has said a word! I think 15 pounds is pretty noticeable but maybe I am wrong?
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! Not one person at work has said a word! I think 15 pounds is pretty noticeable but maybe I am wrong?

maybe they dont want to insult you by saying "awesome, you lost weight!", since this insinuates that you were too heavy before.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    The most "negative" thing someone has said to me is "you may be skinny but you've lost your boobs". I was bemused and a little taken aback that a virtual stranger would say that but I also thought, and believe, that people act out of fear or love. Sure enough a couple of weeks later she approached me again (ugh brace myself) and further clarified it by saying she had thought about losing weight but was worried she'd lose her boobs which she felt was her best physical asset. Ah I thought - there it is. Fear.

The best thing is to keep going regardless. What I do is irrespective of anyone else. It's not aimed at them, it's not about them and staying the course, being gracious in spite of, is being a role model. Teach people how to treat you.

The best thing that has been said to me recently ....you've done really well to keep your figure after five children (ah, if only you knew) but thank you.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I just get annoyed that everyone keeps commenting on how good my boyfriend looks and that he must have lost weight while he only lost 2 lbs, I lost 33 lbs so far and NO ONE sees it, grrr!

At 15kg (for me too) no one noticed and I was fine with that (it motivated me) but oddly enough at 17kg everyone started to notice. Funny how 2kg made all the difference.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,261 Member
    Options
    It is weird these days - the new normal is overweight. No wonder people say things like "Where have you gone? ! ! ? ! ?"

I am 64 and recently went to a meeting at which most people were around my age or a little bit younger. Out of around 70 women I was one of the 3 slimmest. Almost everyone was overweight, but that would have looked normal to me a couple of years sgo.

Our society just eats way, way too much!

By the way, the meeting was a cake baking competition. The cakes were sold off afterwards. I bought no cakes.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It is weird these days - the new normal is overweight. No wonder people say things like "Where have you gone? ! ! ? ! ?"

I am 64 and recently went to a meeting at which most people were around my age or a little bit younger. Out of around 70 women I was one of the 3 slimmest. Almost everyone was overweight, but that would have looked normal to me a couple of years sgo.

Our society just eats way, way too much!

By the way, the meeting was a cake baking competition. The cakes were sold off afterwards. I bought no cakes.

You know i was just watching a documentary on WW2 and I was noticing just how thin those people were and I'm not talking about during the war or the soldiers... i'm talking about the everyday americans walking around everywhere in the background or home movies..... you only see one or two people that look over weight... it amazed me just how different the world has become....
  • maddiegab
    maddiegab Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! Especially when you hear it several times a week.:(
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!