Small women: where do you shop?!?

Options

Replies

• sarchambault
    sarchambault Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I often shop at Suzy Shier, in store (http://www.suzyshier.com/) they have smaller sizes including 00 and up at a lower price. (also watch for sales. The quality of the dresses/Blazers are quite good. Do watch some of the tops. Hope this helps.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot about Express! I haven't shopped there in forever, but when I was younger that was my all-time favorite store!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Depending in your personal style...you may want to try stores that cater to younger women. Ann Taylor and J Crew serve an older demographic, who are typically larger, on average, than 20somethings. I'm not one of those younger smaller women, lol, so I can't give you specific recommendations, but my very fit younger sister, who is 37 and a size 0-2, often shops at stores geared towards a younger crowd.

This!

I've had really good luck at stores like Delia's and Dry Goods. It's for teens and college kids, so they have a lot of dresses that are cute and have decent coverage, but aren't super modest. I also second Modcloth, but those can get expensive. If you do try there, make sure to read the comments because it's likely someone of your height and measurements will include how a certain size fit them.

Definitely agree about reading the reviews on Modcloth.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I like DebShops, Wet Seal, Charlotte Russe, Hot Topic and eBay for good priced clothing. With all of them you'll want to check sizing from the actual creator of the clothes. For example, all of the first three sell "Almost Famous" - I'm a size 1 in their jeans, but a 0 in all of the others. They run around 1-2 sizes smaller. I'm 5'3.5 and when I wear those clothes I'm around 105-110 lbs. On eBay you can find some REALLY unique and pretty things, but most of it is going to be used. If you go to China sellers make sure you're ready to wait a few weeks, and read every seller's reviews and what they write in the description before purchasing. IF something goes wrong, Paypal won't cover you if the description says "there's a hole in this" and you just didn't read it. Dr. Jays is also pretty cool for a more urban look. I'm going to try out Papaya and Love Culture soon! I've read some iffy reviews about Papaya quality, but their prices are so low I have a hard time caring.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Think it depends on what you're looking for. Jeans I usually can find "short" sizes at old navy (although I don't like the way they fit) or at Kohls. As for dresses? Girl... i haven't felt good in a dress in years so that one I can't tell ya... I got my dress for my kids graduation at Express, though..
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I shop in the Junior's department for tops and dresses. I only go into misses for pants.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Wizard_munchkinland.jpg
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    BE careful about the juniors department if you decide to shop it. Sometimes women who shop in there end up making themselves look older or like they are trying to recapture their youth.

Express
    Charlotte Ruse
    Venus

I agree with the tailor suggestion. I just got a pair of jeans from a consignment shop that need taken up. Make sure whatever you buy fits in the chest, shoulder and bum/thigh areas first. All other alterations are easy peasy and relatively inexpensive. I do not suggest doing it yourself unless you know what you are doing. Also "learning to sew" sounds nice and everything, but it takes up a lot of time to learn how to do it all yourself plus materials (and mistakes). Are you willing to give up your evenings to learn how to make your own clothes and then spend the time to make them once you've learned? How do you value your time? I know I don't have that kind of time, although I would love to get back into it!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you are, but I love Cleo Petites. If you don't have Cleo where you are, just try to find stores that have a petite section.
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I stick to juniors sizes, i find the cut fits me better being short I am finding as I lose more weight womens clothes just dont fit right or are too baggy even in smaller sizes.

If not get a good tailor and have them custom fit the clothes, its not the cheapest option but I have one here locally that I use for pants since they are always too long.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am a big person (5'8" 190 lb) so just reading this for no good reason except that I have often wondered this. I have friends and family members who are very small and/or thin and I sometimes wonder where they shop, because other friends who are just average-thin and not really that small built, are sizes 4-6 and small or XS shirt!

Also curious about Victoria's Secret panties because I take a Medium in some styles, Large in others, and I wear size 14 jeans. Not sure what in the world very small ladies do for underwear...hehe
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm almost the same size and have the same problem. Most even-numbered sizing is huge. I am also too small for a J Crew/Banana Republic/Express 0 and it is super frustrating because I see tons of women every day much smaller than I am with business clothing that fits. I've resigned myself to tailors and carefully raiding juniors' stores for stuff that looks okay for an adult.

It's not hard for me to find casual clothes, as I'm still in my 20s and am happy to wear jeans and tees from stores for teens, but it is hard to find "grown-up" clothes and it drives me nuts.
  • 64mustangsue
    64mustangsue Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am 49 yrs old, 5' and 103 lbs with the same problem. I find things at Charolotte Russe, H&M, Body Central, and on line Victoria's Secret. VC can be expensive, but shop the clearance area. Their 0 or XS fit me perfect and they have short length on pants. Their clothes are a bit more age appropriate, they have become my go to first. The mid rise jeans actually cover my backside. I also sew a lot so ...... The hard part of being petite is at most places if it fits it is teen clothes.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I'm almost the same size and have the same problem. Most even-numbered sizing is huge. I am also too small for a J Crew/Banana Republic/Express 0 and it is super frustrating because I see tons of women every day much smaller than I am with business clothing that fits. I've resigned myself to tailors and carefully raiding juniors' stores for stuff that looks okay for an adult.

It's not hard for me to find casual clothes, as I'm still in my 20s and am happy to wear jeans and tees from stores for teens, but it is hard to find "grown-up" clothes and it drives me nuts.

Office clothes are hardest for me. Juniors just don't have many office clothes that are appropriate for my (very conservative) office.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I agree with you on the vanity sizing thing. So bloody irritating. In the UK I was always a 10, without any change in size, but after pregnancies when I was bigger and needed to buy new things, I was an 8. 10s were huge and 8s a bit slack. Now I've lost the weight, a lot of 8s are way too big for me. Really, 'size 6' here didn't exist a few years back, and I didn't see any naked small people. Now I'd be a 6 or a 4, sizes I've never even seen in normal stores.

They need to just put some sort of measurement on them, like men's clothes. X inches.

I read a lot of petite blogs, but a lot of them have tailors :(
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Office clothes are hardest for me. Juniors just don't have many office clothes that are appropriate for my (very conservative) office.

I know. Where are all the tiny stylish women in my office tower buying this stuff? They can't all be buying designer, can they? Someone must be buying stuff at the mall...
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you, and 107ish. I pretty much only shop in the juniors dept. :p I saw Wet Seal, Charlotte Russe, etc. mentioned earlier, those are a couple of my favorites, also TJ Maxx and Marshalls (again, JUNIORS dept. lol)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I know. Where are all the tiny stylish women in my office tower buying this stuff? They can't all be buying designer, can they? Someone must be buying stuff at the mall...

The only person I know IRL who works in an office and wears my size does buy designer. :frown: If you find out, let me know!
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I've gotten some suits, jackets and dress pants/skirts for work at Burlington (I work in a law firm). (In the Junions section..again..lol) They're not great quality, but they look nice and last well if you take proper care of them. Kohl's as well.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Anthropologie has some things that will work - you just have to be careful about the construction and make sure you get a petite. Some of the manufacturers they carry do a good job. Others I can guarantee will just barely last a season before falling apart/looking like it's been through the war. Usually you can tell if you do an inspection of stitching quality, etc.

You might also try Talbots petites for bottoms - we're the same height and weight and I managed to find pants that fit nicely in a petite 2. All of their tops were too big. You sound like you're proportioned smaller than I am in the lower body, so maybe a petite 0 will work for you.

FYI - I usually end up buying designer for 'real' office clothes. I buy on sale and at outlets. My workplace is academia/casual so I don't need much - business trips and formal presentations are about it. Tahari makes nice things that usually fit me in an XS or S, 2 or 4, and they're relatively inexpensive *for designer clothing*. Their styles are also proportioned differently, so I'll wear a 4 in one dress and a 0 in another. So, something should work - hopefully the something you like :)