Misconceptions You Had as a Child

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I thought it would be a lot harder to make it as an adult. Totally opposite of most of my friends who thought adulthood would be nonstop fun & games and no bedtime...I assumed that I might be homeless and struggle to even buy a slice of bread. I have no idea where in the world I got that idea because I grew up middle class, never went hungry, made straight A's, etc. But seriously even when I was in high school, I thought probably my 10 year old Ford Tempo would need to last me until I died. WTF!?
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    -My Grandfather was the only brown person i had ever seen until i went on vacation and saw someone black...i asked her if that happened from being at the beach for a long time before my Dad could wrangle me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS IS FUNNY!!!

I was even more confused after the explanation of "races'. For a while i thought every country had their own specfic color of person.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    That french kissing is what you did when you pecked each other on each cheek.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    i thought tartar sauce was made from tartar and was grossed out how anyone would want to eat a sauce scraped from people's teeth.

I still can't eat tartar sauce.

That cracks me up!! :-)

My nephew who was maybe six or seven at the time, got all freaked out when he heard that my high school graduation party was at this certain restaurant in our town. He kept blushing and then would hide his face. My stepsister finally got it out of him...he'd read on the sign "PRIVATE PARTIES" and thought it meant everyone would be naked.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I thought it would be a lot harder to make it as an adult. Totally opposite of most of my friends who thought adulthood would be nonstop fun & games and no bedtime...I assumed that I might be homeless and struggle to even buy a slice of bread. I have no idea where in the world I got that idea because I grew up middle class, never went hungry, made straight A's, etc. But seriously even when I was in high school, I thought probably my 10 year old Ford Tempo would need to last me until I died. WTF!?

I was very similar. Also was worried about the red moon to.
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    That when you turned off the tv in the middle of a program, when you turned it back on, the program would still be on, at the same point where it was when you turned it off.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I thought that every time you had sex you had a baby.

I went up to my friends parents once and proudly said "you've had sex two times"........

LOL

Hahahaha, you nailed it.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! And that I would still live in a guest bedroom when I grew up and bought my own house. Of course my parents would be utilizing the master bedroom. . . so when I'd look through magazines of house plans I'd always "pick" my room based on this.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thought I was missing some really exciting things when I went to bed. Like the whole world was having a party after I went to sleep.
  • Linda6580
    Linda6580 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing, running start to get on bed and then to get off I would jump as far away from the bed as possible!

Also if you swallowed watermelon seeds one would grow in your belly.
  • seltzermint555
    Options

I was very similar. Also was worried about the red moon to.

Wow, that makes me feel a lot better!!! :-) I haven't known too many people with any of my shared misconceptions hehe. Cool thread BTW!
  • FemmeFatale83
    Options
    For a very short time I thought the term "making love" meant that you where just having fun with someone you cared about, hugging and playing innocently. Then I wrote a little poem about making love ( I think I was 6?) my mom really freaked out lol
  • cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options
    Lol!

One misconception that came to mind was courtesy of my puritan mother. I was told that unmarried people are unable to have children. Imagine how embarrassed I was when in 4th grade, one of my classmates said her older sister was pregnant. I of course asked who her husband was. I was told she wasn't married and I of course said it was impossible to be pregnant. The whole class completely lost it. It took several years for that incident to be forgotten by others. Thanks mom!

Lol. Parents are funny when they are trying to "protect" their kids, huh?
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I thought if you were driving a car and let go of the wheel the car would go completely out of control and you'd go flying off the road.

I also used to think I was the oldest person alive, besides my parents and siblings.

A virgin was someone who had never kissed anyone :)
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I thought that blood was really blue cause thats what your veins look like, and I thought once it hit the air it turned red....lol

My mom would swear to you that this is true. :embarassed:

This is a common myth! Most well educated adults believe this, I did at one point too!

We were taught this in biology!

My dad told me that if you peed in the pool at Disneyland, the wee would react with the water and turn green!
  • drewmmm
    drewmmm Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    this is actually sad, but when I was young, I thought that people stop lying when they grow up. Boy, was I wrong.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I thought that blood was really blue cause thats what your veins look like, and I thought once it hit the air it turned red....lol

I totally thought this, too!

I also thought that if my Mom didn't have any cash, she could just write a check. Now my children think the same thing.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    That when we had money that had gone through the washing machine and dryer that we were guilty of laundering money. I knew it was a crime, but wasn't sure why clean money was a problem. Also, the egg poacher in our kitchen cabinets. My mother never used it, but I could not figure out why she would even own such a terrible device.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    that someone who broke their back would NEVER walk again...I argued as much, fortunately , for many, not always true
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Santa was real...

There - I said it.

1529060.png

Wait....what?