Misconceptions You Had as a Child

Options

Replies

• Miss_TeaPot
    Miss_TeaPot Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Mine is really weird. I thought only women went #2 in the bathroom because it was practice for childbirth.

I thought boogers were old memories that were forgotten.

I thought warm water kept you from having nightmares (my father told me that so I wouldn't be afraid of the dark)

I thought the moon watched over children and reported to santa so he could make the naughty/nice list

I thought ice cream was healthy for you because it contained dairy (not saying ice cream is bad for you but I wanted to eat whole cartons thinking it was good for my health)

I thought sweating burned calories and so I would sit in my attic in the summer thinking I'd lose actual fat (I was a chubby kid and one summer I was sweating and my cousin said "Oh you're sweating calories!" I'm thinking she knew no better than I did)

I thought the time pregnancy occured was dependent on if you were a "good" person or not. For example if you were "bad" you got pregnant before adulthood and if you were "good" you got pregnant once you were married.( I was born out of a wedlock and my family sometimes bad mouthed my mother about it, I suppose I got the concept somewhere from that)
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    There was a red moon on Christmas eve one year and my sister and I were heartbroken because we thought it was a sign that Santa was murdered.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I thought rainbows were make believe. I was so amazed when I saw my first one!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I thought that lights actually went somewhere when you turned them out

That nuns were actually witches

I believed that when I fell asleep at night my dolls came to life...then toy story happened! I was thrilled!
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That the piece of fat in the top of the Pork and Beans was actually a marshmellow...figured that one out real quick. BLEH
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    oh God, am I going to have hairy boobs like my dad????
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I thought the care bears really did live in the clouds. Boy was I disappointed when we flew to Disney World and I didn't see a single one.

I thought that a Condo and a Condom were the same thing - and when people would talk about condos I was confused - especially with terms like "condo sized sofa".

My mom referred to the Cosby's as blacks - and I asked her what she meant, and she said because of their skin colour. I hadn't even realized that their skin wasn't the same pigment as mine. :mind blown:
  • Linda6580
    Linda6580 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My older sister made me watch Children of the Corn once. After that I thought that if I went in a cornfield something really, really bad was going to happen and I would never make it home again. (my house was surrounded by cornfields, took quite awhile to get over this one!).

My dad used to do the thumb trick when I was little, I thought he was really pulling his thumb off ( I do this to my girls now, the one would just start bawling, so I quit.)

My dad used to pretend that he was taking my nose when I was little. He would grab my nose and then stick his thumb between his pointer and middle finger and say "I got your nose now!"

My youngest daughter thinks you just keep getting taller and taller the older you get. She says she can't wait till she can touch the ceiling.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My older sister made me watch Children of the Corn once. After that I thought that if I went in a cornfield something really, really bad was going to happen and I would never make it home again. (my house was surrounded by cornfields, took quite awhile to get over this one!).

I had never seen a cornfield in real life until after watching Children of the Corn. That summer we went to visit family in Indiana was the worst summer vacation I can remember of my childhood.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I asked my bf this and his immediate response was "That women are nice." LoL

LOL that is awesome. I would say something like that.

On that note I thought married couples had sex every day!

Some do! hehe

Changing topics...I thought that Halloween was part of my birthday. My b-day is November 3, so usually it fell in the same week or part of the same 'long weekend'. I was an only child as a kid, and slightly spoiled, so this just made sense that in preparation for my birthday there would be a super fun holiday with costumes and loads of chocolate...right? ;-D
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options

My dad used to pretend that he was taking my nose when I was little. He would grab my nose and then stick his thumb between his pointer and middle finger and say "I got your nose now!"

I do this to my kids and my oldest is at the age where she doesn't quite believe me anymore but she isn't sure. She tells me to do it again and again. I put her "nose" in my mouth. and move my tongue around inside my mouth like her nose is trying to get out. then I spit it into my hand and put back on her nose. LOL. I take it a little too far I guess. Sometimes I put her nose in my pocket or behind my ear then forget and start to leave for work. She is terrified I am going to leave with her nose.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    The kids said the "if I die before I wake" prayer because your chances of randomly dying in the night were like 50-50 and you needed to be prepared!

between this post and the one right before it about maxi pad "stickers" on the car window...it was just too much. I am silently laughing so hard at my desk at work with tears streaming down my face!!!!! :-D
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

I thought that a Condo and a Condom were the same thing - and when people would talk about condos I was confused - especially with terms like "condo sized sofa".

My little sister told my mom once that they should move into a condo so I could practice safe sex :laugh:
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You people are awesome!
  • kerrid72
    kerrid72 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I used to think the weight limit on bridge signs shown in tons was the same as pounds. I knew our family & car weighed more than that. I was just sure that we would die on a bridge.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I remember thinking I could see through things, like an x-ray vision. When I finally confessed and demonstrated my super power to my parents, I was told that all I was doing was making my eyes cross. I was crushed for a while.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Also, I stuck a bunch of my mom's maxi pads on her car window one time because I thought they were just weird looking stickers.

I should tell my mom to be thankful... I just stuck maxi pads all over the bathroom door, not her window. :tongue:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    My grandma was a cook, and my mom was a cook, so I thought that when I grew up that I'd have to be a cook too. This made me sad because I didn't like to help in the kitchen and told my mom that cooking made my stomach hurt.
  • cowgirlqueen
    cowgirlqueen Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I thought clouds were made by air planes :laugh: I grew up in the middle of nowhere so the only proof of air planes I had was the little puffs they left behind so naturally as a small child I was convinced air planes made clouds

I also thought everyone in the world waved at each other, drove trucks, and wore cowboy hats & boots it wasn't until I moved to the city that I realized that, that was a complete misconception :laugh: there I was 17 years old wearing a cowboy hat & boots and waving at everyone and couldn't for the life of me figure out why people were looking at me so weird and asking do I know you :laugh: :blushing: I'm still embarrassed by that :blushing: :laugh:
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I also thought everyone in the world waved at each other, drove trucks, and wore cowboy hats & boots it wasn't until I moved to the city that I realized that, that was a complete misconception :laugh: there I was 17 years old wearing a cowboy hat & boots and waving at everyone and couldn't for the life of me figure out why people were looking at me so weird and asking do I know you :laugh: :blushing: I'm still embarrassed by that :blushing: :laugh:

Lol this is the curse of the small Texas town. The first time someone didn't wave back, I was like wtf??