WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Mountainsong: clicking on reply (either under a post or the green reply button at the bottom) will open a thing to post. If you want to reply specifically to someone and quote them, then use the 'quote' at the end of their post.
    A lot of people open a Word or other text program next to their browser, and type replies as they read. Then copy, open a 'reply' as described above, and paste. Add smileys if you want. :happy:
    'Bump' means something like 'marking my place', so you know where to start reading next time.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Saturday just after noon - I have done my part today; at least in the recycling realm. Our city hosts a recycle event in the Spring and Fall. Hubby & I spent late evening yesterday gathering up all the hazardous waste items we no longer needed and placed them out by the curb for pickup. We put our documents for shredding in a container along with other various items recyclable to take them to the recycle event. It feels good to not only eliminate these items but to do it in an Earth friendly manner. I was surprised while in Denver that they do not recycle - why not?

@Sylvie - cute joke

@Jane - sure hope you hear something from your drs soon - I can relate to the stress and chocolate!

@Tigress in GA - thanks, taco salad sounds yummy I need to go find some lunch :laugh:

@Beth - keep your chin up; it's one day at time for me and hopefully they will combine into success on the scale.

@Joyce - those granddaughters sound precious as well as smart; division at that age is impressive.

@Mountainsong - welcome to the group - that's some pretty spunky goals you have set for April; here's to achieving them :drinker:

@Patty - a sick granddaughter is scary anytime; those grandbabies are so precious; hopefully she is home now

@Meg - geez, I should have looked you up; I've been staying up late every since I came home from Denver

@DeeDee - thanks! hope you enjoyed that coffee and a day of shopping; sounds wonderful

@LizPlus - thanks and I know how you feel about losing those pounds; my body doesn't like to cooperate either which brings me to my goal for April.

April Goal: to lose 10 llbs again since I already lost them once before. Not sure why but I did find that last year in March was a month of gain for me also only this year I am in a better place and hope to be even better for May.

Take care one and all; enjoy your weekend wherever you are.

Plano Teral :flowerforyou: <<< still loving me some Spring flowers :wink:
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: bump for later, wishing everyone a safe and restful weekend

Juanita in Sudbury(where we are digging out from yet another snow storm where oh where is spring????)
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Quick stop by. Had a great sleep (YAY!!!). Made it to yoga this am, then out to brunch with gym friends. Will have some protein (possibly tuna) and a large salad for dinner later. Doing laundry and shortly heading out to the yard to do a few tasks.Hopefully a normal, quiet, drama-free day.

Toying with the idea of making my goals weekly, since I can't seem to manage to do anything for a month at this point and I'm tired of never getting it even close right anymore.

Sun is shining but it's coolish..............saw some lovely forsythia this morning!!!!

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,880 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Weather is nice here so hoping to get a little yard work in. Have had a nice quiet day with DH gone to his event.

Cynthia - I once chased a dog with my horse. The dog was running loose on the bridle trail and came running and barking at the horses. I headed my horse straight at him and chased him back to his owner who was very mad at me for scaring her dog but I felt that was better than him getting kicked and possibly seriously hurt. I hope he and his owner both learned a lesson but kind of doubt it. Moose and I used to practice herding the border collie at the stable out of the arena so he thought we were just playing.

Jane - Good luck with the ortho doc. Glad you finally got an appointment.

Healing angels to those who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options

Gloria in Metro Detroit: Dealing with school systems is the pits.:grumble: By the time my kids got to high school I was not allowed to talk to teachers without the principal and usually the principal would meet me at the door when I had to go there.:blushing: My kids say that I am responsible for helping several teachers and one assistant principal making career changes. :tongue:

Tere

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think when they see my number on the caller ID, they act like they're too busy to answer the phone and let the poor sucker who didn't look pick it up.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    well I had a whole thing written out this morning, and went to post it and the site was down for maintanace...(sp)
    woke up at 3:45 this morning and hit the ground running...boiled up eggs to make deviled eggs, and made the cream cheese frosting for the cupcakes... threw a load of laundry in the wash and got that going...
    the wake last night was nice, and Frank(the man who passed) was a free Mason so they had a ceremony..
    my dad showed up and was talking everyones ear off, but he left early or so I thought,I went to leave and he was still in his car with the hazard lights on, didnt think much of it and went home, well when everyone was leaving,he stopped Jean my SIL,and siad he had vertigo,well Jean brought him home, and my brother picked him up today for the service...He doesnt want to go to the hospital ,but I think it might have something to do with his meds,he promised my brother and I that he would call his Dr monday am...
    Tom and I got into a huge shouting match this morning...but he knew better than to push it...
    got the cupcakes frosted, the deviled eggs made and the laundry done and took a shower got dressed and we went over to see my FIL seems the women over there have been after him lol, but he asked one to stay away from him, and he made her cry, so they are tying to keep everyone sorta out of everyones way until things calm down...
    from there we went to Jean's moms house.. I ended up staying at the house instead of going to the service.. helped the caterer set up stuff, get coffee made, greated guests, it filled up quick and got a bit crazy,but it worked out well.
    Jean's brother is so nasty, and such a bully, that nobody in the family can stand him...
    he took his father's laptop USB, changed the password and left a nasty note on the computer with a 4 letter word that isnt printable...
    he has done nothing but pester his mother who is grieving for her husband about, where is this and I want that,
    Jean and her mom have to go to the lawyer monday and work on the trust and if they have to I hope they get Wally's name off of everything.. he is a caniving vendictive, nasty weasel and you know I dont speak like that about to many people... after everyone left, Faith got in her jammies, and Tom (DH) mad good he was a big help with a house full of people, I tried cleaning up and putting away as much food as I could then we came home and lay down for a little bit,
    I am just whooped.and I didnt eat to well.. ate a sandwich and a little bit of pasta salad, did get alot of water. but ate to much sugary stuff afterwards..
    Oh well live and learn...
    I think we will just relax tonight and tomorrow starts in all over.. keep my SIL family in your prayers because now reality will settle in, and keep my dad in your prayers,because we dont need any serious stuff going on with a 85 yr old man..my plate has been to full lately:noway:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat.
    Busy running errands.
    Got hair cut
    HUGS
    jane
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,939 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Alison, Sorry about the loss. Don't be hard on yourself... you have had a lot going on and been stressed out. I don't know how you are getting through all of it! You are one strong and tough woman!

Jill from MA, thank you for the long distance hug! I needed that!

Rita from CT
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Sue: you probably did the right thing, and riding away would just have made things worse.
    My BC is not allowed in the pasture or riding rings, but he sits/stands outside the pasture and "eyes" the horses. It's his work. :bigsmile:
    He also likes to "help" with lunging by running back and forth outside the lunging arena. He's only allowed to do this if the owner of the horse doesn't mind. One or two even ask for him to do it if their horse is not very motivated that day. :laugh:
    Luckily he seems to be OK today, so I'll assume no real damage was done last night.

Goodnight everybody and an extra "sleep tight" to Alison. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Fly by check in, rode my bicycle 37 miles today. I'm not going to make the 100 miles I was shooting for, but that is okay … I'm having a blast.

Bonnie in NC normally the mountains, but today I'm on the coast.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Dee, back from furniture store. Looked at the floor model of the dining room set and it was off center but not as much as the one we received. Back it all goes! Picked out one we were considering before. It will be great, it screams personality. It is "shabby chic". I think that is what they call the old country look with chippy paint. Hope you enjoyed your shopping trip today.

Alison, please take care of yourself, wishing you sound sleep tonite.

I have read all posts, but I do this on my iPad and can't use word. I will get organized with a pen and paper soon, we will be done with all of this remodel stuff by end of May, Lord willing.

Have a wonderful evening and sleep well everyone!

Cindy in OK :heart:
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday all, been a lazy day here, didn't do much and then took a nap, while DH mowed the yard, well property we have 2.5 acres. It's not to big, but enough for us.

Cindy- it's called distressed, and is very in! I was looking at a house that had kitchen cabinets like that, the house was selling for 3.9 million. Hey I can look you know, :laugh:

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Tigress in GA
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Caught up on all your posts again! We are definitely chatty.

A volunteer group DH belongs to has another member that was formerly a jeweler. As a fundraiser for a local boys' ranch today he was doing jewelry cleaning for donations to the ranch. Several years ago I inherited DH's sisters' jewelry and today we took pieces to him and he went through it all with us, letting us know what was costume, which things were silver or gold, real stones or not, etc. He spent almost 2 hours with us -- it was great! Most everything was costume jewelry, but there were a few finds, so that was nice. (There are a number of pieces not to my taste, but until I knew whether or not they were valuable I didn't want to get rid of anything.) We'll take broken gold chains, etc., to a place to sell it for the metals. I wear a lot of it, and think of the original owners when I do.

Chatted for quite a while with one of my neighbors this afternoon. She was pruning in the yard and I was holding her little dog. (Abby weighs about 7 pounds -- teeny!) It looks like my azaleas and lorapetalum have some hope of recovery from winter, but the pomegranate shrub in the backyard is not showing any signs of life. I'll give it another week or so, but if no leaf buds appear I'll take it back to the nursery since it has a guaranty. On the flip side, the irises I moved last summer have about doubled in size and I'm hopeful for a lot of blooms. Its my favorite flower. I've got some reblooming daylilies that should be arriving this week for planting. Looking forward to those, too.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Gail, metro ATL
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Allison, not sure what you're all going through, but a shouting match is not the best solution in my view. (Unless of course the make up session is worth it....:bigsmile: :tongue:) kidding. It also sounds like you are taking care of everyone and everything. My question is...if that is the case...why? Is at drama grand central station at your house? I do find it hard to identify. ((Hugs to you))

Been very busy with work this week. Currently enjoying the presence of a cute 9 ms old little girl. Oh man, I love her so much. Next weekend we will have toddler gs overnight. Missed out last weekend.

Chicken and broccoli on the menu tonight. I am working on releasing another pound.

Love to all to lovely ladies.

Renny
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    HI ladies. Boy what a rough night . I didn’t go to sleep until after 3. I had that scare about missing Jill and I read my email and I am way behind the test bank. Not sure how that happened; it was supposed to be entirely done april 1, and we are only ½ way done. I sent an email to my co-worker to see what she thought about the deadline…maybe we misunderstood…??? I don’t know but it’s upsetting. So I worked all day and now I’m cross eyed.

Amanda; you would have been awake! I should have called you!

Cynthia: so sorry about your fur baby! Hope he is alright today

Mindy: I started my step-counting with my fitbit and discovered I was only getting about 2000 steps a day. Now I’m up to 6000. I kept adding 500 every week or so as my goal.

DeeDee thanks for the hug…I needed that

Liz: I hope that nice weather forcast comes true for you…. I think we are all tired of winter this year.

Pat: I need to be aware too. I’ll keep that word in my mind

Gloria: I’m having trouble with meal planning too. If I don’t totally obsess over it it’s all wrong

Katla: so nice to have DS there working with DH. You are right…I am insanely overworked. Some of it is my doing, some of it is my workload at work. I’m kind of addicted to the test banks and rarely say no to offers.

Jane: well good news on the weight loss, but so sorry to hear of hubby’s health problems! I hope he gets to feeling better soon

Mountainsong: I hit reply to the last post on the thread. Bump means a way to mark your spot without spending a lot of time responding. That way it still shows up on your topics.

Tere: let us know how the kale was. I’m trying to learn to like it.

Terel: maybe we should form a web group of insomniacs so we can all visit in the middle of the night!

Alison: wow sounds like you had a busy day. You need a hug! Here’s one (((((hug))))) I’m sorry for your loss

Bonnie: well I’m impressed. I can go about 8 miles on my bike and that’s about it

We had a delicious dinner tonight…eggplant involtini from cooking light. Kind of an eggplant lasagna only lighter. I guess that’s a “duh” statement! DD#2 is gone to a friends’ for the night…in fact it’s the “emergency back up daughter”….she was here Thursday night and asked if she could move in. DD#2 was here and she and DH went out for their parent daughter day; I had to postpone due to this test bank issue. I haven’t missed a deadline in 20 years of writing so I am quite distressed about it.

OK well I’m off….need to clean the kitchen and make a cinnamon swirl bread that is sugar free…hope it’s good. Take care, Meg from sunny Omaha
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Still not really alert enough to think completely right so won't respond much.

Tere, my little one is smart enough that when she finishes her work in school and class isn't over with that she just starts a new drawing, writes in her own journal that she started on her own or writes a story. So she has found ways on her won to take care of her little mind instead of being a nuisance when everyone is done with their work in school. We ran into her teacher at the store and she is a sweetheart. My daughter showed me the girls report cards and she has A+ in all her subjects so although she is bored easily she does know how to handle it. The asked me if I wanted to play hangman and I figured she would just do a word or two but she started out with long sentences so I followed suit. One puzzle I wrote was'You are beautiful' and she knew how to spell beautiful. I did have to learn how to think like a 7 year old and spell really 'reely' and some other words that she phonetically spelled instead of the good ol' English way when sometimes is sometimes rediculous. Her sisters report cards were not as good as her sisters but she got her first C of her life and she is in the 7th grade. It was mostly A+, A and B+. She is a teachers aide in the grade school before she goes to class in the middle school.

I woke up this evening at 4:30. My body is kind of not awake even though I'm awake. I really didn't want to go out and eat supper, was just going to eat a bowl of soup but for some reason my internet went down and I couldn't finish reading the many chatty responses on here and retain it so I got up like a good girl, put some clothes on and went to Denny's. After I was done I was grateful Charlie pushed me to go because I realized I was hungry and enjoyed a good hot meal. I just hope I can get to sleep OK tonight so i can get up to go to church tomorrow morning. I don't usually have a problem going to sleep after I have my long sleep though.

Joyce, Indiana
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My ticker says 19 lbs lost, but it's really 23lbs lost since I started my
    life style change 2 weeks before I started using mfp. So today I went
    with a friend who has lost 10 lbs to get a pedicure to celebrate the loss.

I went for an hour walk today with my friend and her lab Val. Val just turned
    a yr old so she has lots of energy which made for a good workout.

My allergies are really acting up, even with meds my eyes are watering, nose
    running and sneezing. My face is all chapped from wiping my nose and eyes.
    Don't know if I will make it to church tomorrow since I won't be able to wear
    make up.

Jane- Way to go losing wght while on vacation. Hope hubby gets better real soon.

Pat- I understand what you are saying, I love my down time too. I could go for days
    Without going out or even talking to anyone.

Yannie- making weekly goals sounds like a good idea.

Grandmalle-just reading your posts exhausts me. I'll keep you and
    your sil family in my prayers.

Kay- your son must be so scared, I hope the biopsy results come back
    quickly. Hang in there, I'm glad your hubby is there for you.

Kat- I understand about your son, my oldest daughter's job moved her
    3 hrs away. Not too bad though. But I was just told by my youngest dd
    that her husband is being transferred to Colorado soon. I am so crushed,
    since my gs was born I've only missed seeing him about 5 days. He'll be
    3 in June. I am his day care provider too. We live in Md. So Colorado is far.

Have a Good weekend everyone.

Brenda from Md
  • kathrineb57
    kathrineb57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I will share a part of a favorite quote by Maxine Kumin: " When Sleeping Beauty wakes up, she is almost fifty years old. ....." I always feel some inspiration from that. That it is never too late to take care of ourselves. I recently lost my husband of 36 years and dealing with changes and challenges daily. I know that this is my time to take care of myself, lose weight, and get fit and healthy. For me. Looking forward to some fun, support and friendship. Now, this Sleeping Beauty has bed head, I am going to the hair salon. Chow. Kathrine, Kansas
  • kathrineb57
    kathrineb57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have given it some thought and have decided on a few April goals and resolutions. I do not want to make the mistake of trying to "do it all" on this weight loss journey, all on the first day. I know that overwhelms me and sets me up for failure. So here goes; my April goals and resolution.
    * To keep my food diary daily, preferably BEFORE I eat the meal.
    * To walk 3 days this week, to do my best to make it 30 minute walks each.
    * To lose 5 lbs. this month.
    * To focus on healthy breakfast recipes.
    I chose to focus on Healthy breakfast entrees for the whole month. I am hoping that a month of experimenting and recipe searching for breakfast only, will get me in the groove with breakfast. This way, I keep the other meals simple and hopefully healthy, and not overwhelm myself with a zillion new recipes and meal plans.
    I hope everyone has a good month, and enjoy the springtime flowers.
    Kathrine from Kansas