WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: I quit adding salt to foods I cook after DH had a stroke. I serve the food without added salt and there is a salt-shaker on the table for anyone who wants to use it. there is also a potassium chloride shaker on the table. I add my own salt at the table and no one has seemed uncomfortable. Love the joke.:bigsmile:

Kim: Changes from reduced calories will take a few days to get used to. You’ll adjust fairly quickly. Congratulations on your weight loss success!:flowerforyou:

Joyce: If your calories have been cut to 1200 you are likely hungry but not in starvation mode. Hang in there. My maintenance level is only 1280. I eat back all of my exercise calories.:glasses: :flowerforyou:

Gail: Thanks for sharing the Gluttony blog. It is so touching and true.:flowerforyou:

Renny: Your DD & DDIL are gems. I hope you’re feeling better each day. One of my favorite authors has some stories in which the men “water” a perimeter around the garden to keep the deer away. The theory is deer fear apex predator pee. I don’t know if this would work in real life, or how often the “watering” would need to be repeated.:tongue::laugh:

JB: Congratulations on the successful recital. Love the Optimist quotation, especially since I’ve never been able to dance. Now I can Cha Cha! In fact, I’ve been unknowingly doing it for years.:wink::laugh:

Heather: I’m glad to hear that DH’s nephew is going to go to the football (soccer?) game. As I recall, they were spending money like mad on their home, and that has to create a lot of stress. I hope all will be well & things will eventually work out.:flowerforyou:

My doctor’s appointment yesterday went very well. She thinks I’m doing a good job with my health. She is very pleased with my weight loss and asked for details. I told her how much I like MFP. I hope she investigates so she can share the information with other patients who need to lose weight. I’m good to go for a while, but will need to have an upper GI and Colonoscopy in a couple of years. We’re planning to do both at once so I don’t have to be under sedation twice.

Katla temporarily in beautiful NW WA

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training when able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: Pay attention to water intake and drink frequently during the day.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke:

:happy:

The lawyer was cross-examining a witness.

“Isn’t it true, “he bellowed, “that you were given $500.00 to throw this case?”

The witness did not answer. Instead, he just stared out the window as though he hadn’t

heard the question. The attorney repeated himself, again getting the same reaction - no response.

Finally, the judge spoke to the witness, “Please answer the question.”

“Oh,” said the startled witness, “I thought he was talking to you.”

:laugh:
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies,

I am new to all of this and a friend said this is a great place to be.

Have a fabulous day!

Donna

Welcome Donna! Im a newby as well, and find myself coming back to this thread often during the day to try to keep up with everyone! Its a great group of ladies, so jump in and tell us about YOURSELF!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,334 Member
    Options
    Katla - it is my own son who is spending a fortune on the house:sad: Their marriage is holding up, thankfully.:love:
    DH'S team won today. He'll be home in an hour and a half so I will hear the latest.
    Wanted to share with you and Yanniejannie and anyone else who might be interested (Kim?) a BBC radio 4 programme I caught as I was cooking the dinner. It's in a series called Soul Music and it is songs that have touched people's lives. This one was "Something Inside So Strong", by Labi Siffre and I was sniffing over my lamb casserole!:love::love: :heart:

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b040hx6j

Heather in still dry, but soon to be wet Hampshire UK
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,813 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies.:flowerforyou: Sounds like going to a beautiful day with chance of rain this evening. I am working today so will not get to enjoy. Last night we did ride the motorcycle to Central City,. The wind was blowing so hard I prayed both ways. But had a nice meal with our CMA group. I did over do and have to try harder today.Tonight we are to meet at Fast Freddies with the York and Hastings chapters of CMA. To be there 5-9pm and Frieddies will donate 10% of what they make to our groups. Just have to stay outside and not inside where the food and ice cream is.:sad: I did not sleep well again last night. I seem to wake up every couple hours.

Heather--I know what you mean when the food talks so loud. Ice cream was at me yesterday and I admit I over did. Then a picece of apple pie last night at supper.:blushing:

Teresa--I know just what you are talking about.:heart:

Michelle-be careful with that heart rate. I would suggest if it keeps staying high I would get to the doctor. Catch whatever is happening before it is really bad.:flowerforyou:

jb--congrates on all going well. With all the hard work you put into it, what else could of happened.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Heather--glad to hear that you got the text. It's a start. Prayers for all it is not easy watching those we love mess up.

Welcome Donna--you have found a great place. Your friend is a wise woman.:smile:

Gloria--I agree is sounds like DS is going thru his own grief. Do they have a group for his age close. It may help him to know that others his age have been thru this. Personaly I would not push it this time, but watch him and make sure it does become habit. Prayers and hugs. First years are the hardest. I was writing on the backs of the pictures I just got of my dad's funeral and in one there is this guy with his back to the camera and it looks just like dad. I had to look at it close as my mine went alittle nuts for acouple minutes. :heart:

Well need to get some work done so ready to leave alittle early today. Have a great afternoon ladies.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Is it just something about this time of year? I've eaten abysmally over the past couple of days. In fact, I ate so badly earlier today that I actually vomited. Yes, this is my confession...I know I'm not hungry and I know that I don't really even want what I am eating, but I'm evidently trying to "bury" something with all of this food. I am so tired. I may even give up on my to-do list for today and take a nap. Well, if my stomach quits hurting enough so that I can sleep. Sorry for the whine fest. Maybe some sunshine and non-winter temps would help.

I hope everyone else is having a great day!

Carol in cold and dreary NC
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Heather, I figured you'd enjoy hearing about the "cha-cha" tee hee :laugh: :laugh: And Katla's in on it too, :bigsmile: :bigsmile: See, we can all be happy and learn some forward steps after a backward one or two -- goodness knows I've had my share :tongue:

Anyone dying Easter eggs this year? :happy:

tramp.jpg
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    The talk of Easter dresses got me thinking back… My mom sewed all our clothes and I remember us girls having matching or coordinating outfits… Mom loved (still does) suits so she would often have a suit and my sister and I would have dresses out of fabric that was Mom’s blouse. :smile:

Yannie Jannie – I don’t know Jonathan Kellerman, what genre?

Joyce - I do the same thing with Granola and I have been buying Bob’s Red Mill honey oat granola, it is $5.50 a bag (about 1lb) at the market BUT my Big Lots ($1 store idea) has it for $2.50 almost all the time.:happy:
    I promise to be nice to drandmadp! And I bet she could not think of anything yucky to say about you if she tried!!! You are too nice.
    Congrats to your daughter! It is wonderful she has found something that is working for her.:flowerforyou:

JB- Congrats!!!! I knew it would be fab! But it is nice to have had it happen and be successful – Love the ChaCha idea :drinker:

Heather - Sending good thoughts for your nephew and his family – a break to SF might have been just what both needed to see how much they miss each other --- here’s hoping! :smile:
    Thanks for the lead on the program – I’ll check it out.

Moondoggz – Most days I “save” my exercise calories for the end of the day – don’t eat them if I'm not hungry or eat ½ of them for a late day treat if I need that sweet or glass of wine or? But if I know I am going out to a high calorie meal I will fit in more exercise and eat them all! I just try to balance it out ….:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Gloria – trust your mom feelings with Aaron:smile: , I remember when I was small and my beloved grandpa died – I did not have words to express how I felt; actually talked it through in counseling years later – my family dealt with death by once someone was gone they were never mentioned again – not the best choice.:grumble:

Margaret - Welcome to the Gardening Divas:laugh: - love the fact that it counts as exercise too.

Katla – So glad your doctors appointment was so good !

Well it is sunny here; but not warm, so I have been cleaning the garage, took a lunch break next off to set up tables and chairs :bigsmile: So we have a chocolate store here called See's - so good; but pretty pricey; worth it - but the $$ is enough to keep me away and they don't sell except in their stores which are always full of folks and with a line. I wasn't going for any easter anything, but my neighbor did go and brought me back a dark chocolate egg, filled with dark chocolate cream.... and it is not just some little egg - it is 720 calories!!!! Well I told myself it could not be eaten until tomorrow... I am going to try to make it last a few days...

Like others I have a busy tomorrow; so will try to log, but may not chat.... Happy Easter everyone, I'll hop back in on Monday (the overnight guests will be gone by noon my time :happy: )

Kim in N. California
  • Kayzoola
    Kayzoola Posts: 60
    Options
    This morning, I took a 6-mile walk with DH to the coffee shop. I had earl grey tea instead of coffee since I only like my coffee with cream. I have been chipping away on my last five post menopause pounds by upping my vegetables. Fortunately I love veg! Off to pull weeds now.

At my last eye appointment, the doc told me he could see the cholesterol in the vessels in my eye, so I am trying to get that under control. I don't eat much red meat, butter, or really anything with cholesterol in it, plus, I exercise faithfully, so it is a challenge to figure out what to change. I started taking niacin, and that is an experience. My whole body turns red and itchy!

Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Just wanted to stop by and wish everyone a Happy Easter.

We will have church, Easter breakfast at church, church again and then head for Tucson. My dad is there at my sister's. On the way there and back we will stop in Yuma to see ds and family. Their baby will probably be born this week (induced most likely)

Lots of good wishes to everyone!!

Eileen near San Diego
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Renny: Your DD & DDIL are gems. I hope you’re feeling better each day. One of my favorite authors has some stories in which the men “water” a perimeter around the garden to keep the deer away. The theory is deer fear apex predator pee. I don’t know if this would work in real life, or how often the “watering” would need to be repeated.:tongue::laugh:

Katla temporarily in beautiful NW WA

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Not telling my DH to "water". He does not need the encouragement! Advantages if living in the country :tongue:

Kayzoola - I took niacin for a while years and years ago and ended up in ER when I ate something that double triggered the break out. Scary stuff. I am currently reading the Grain Brain. It has a discussion on the benefits of cholesterol for the brain. Very interesting research on the matter.

I am also doing the "cha-cha" this weekend.:blushing:

Renny
    cloudy Vancouver Island, BC
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody; getting ready to go to bed. I fell asleep in the chair at home after spending three hours this afternoon getting a friend's new laptop up and running. :yawn:

Easter clothes: I usually got a new dress. When I was very small I had hats as well (something like white straw hats with a ribbon). I remember once I was tired of wearing the hat and kept trying to take it off. Later my mom told my grandmother I had been doing a striptease in church. :laugh:

Jb: nice cartoon! Also the cha-cha photo. :bigsmile:

Carol: I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you rest a bit or have a hot bath? Just to soothe yourself a little. :heart:

I finally had a "green" day again. Not exactly sure how, but I'll take it! :happy:

Hope everyone has a restful night and a good day tomorrow, whether or not you're celebrating Easter.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,791 Member
    Options
    evening ladies,
    thought I did well,but did not, im under my calories, but over on the sodium and the protein oh well..
    made a coconut poke cake for tomorrow, having turkey , stuffing,gravy, corn for the boys, and rolls, I will have turkey and salad, and maybe one roll.
    going to finish tonight off with a cup of tea, with a splash of baileys
    will check in ,in the a,m.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy sat.
    had a nice time visiting my mom,and sils.
    Beautiful sunny day.
    HUGS
    jane
    Welcome Donna
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just checking in - Happy Easter to all who celebrate Easter and Happy Passover to you who are celebrating Passover.

Jill in wedstern MA
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good evening, all,

Got about 4 hrs. good sleep and been fine all day, but it will be an early night, for sure. Made it to both tai chi and yoga this am. Weather is cold and rainy and gray.

Welcome newbies; keep posting and tell us about yourself. On the calories---I'm short ( 5' 3" ) and 62 yrs...........I was alloted 1200 cals to lose weight and did from Jan '13 to July '13 to reach goal; never counted exercise for extra food. Once I hit goal MFP upped me only 50 more cals which I found really discouraging and eventually gained some back
    now working my way back and not happy about it; my willpower waxes and wanes. I think I've restarted 10 times since October!!! But, I'm STILL at it. I think part of my problem stems from the fact that I was never anything but extremely thin until lately (50's) and I could (and did) eat and drink all I wanted with no worries of gaining an ounce.

Kim.........Jonathan Kellerman and his wife Faye both write mysteries; hers contain more of a historical slant.

jb.........The success of your recital is a reflection of the excellence of your students teacher. I can cha cha with the best of them!!

Heather..........Adorable new picture!!!! I get "earworms" too; drive me to distraction. The poor nephew; to have her go so far away with the baby too--they both must have been stretched to the breaking point with all the stress. Hope your DH was able to lend a caring ear and give some encouragement to his nephew. Will check out the music site; greatly enjoyed the others you mentioned!

Gloria............I hope your son decided to go have some fun at the egg hunt..........if not, has he been able to put into words why he didn't want to go? I do agree with what you wrote the other day about food being so much more than simple nutrition. Food memories are part of the weave of our lives.

Dee Dee...............Best of luck with your deer repellent! Now, what can I use for snakes?

G'nite all, sweet dreams,
    yanniejannie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: One of the great blessings for me of being part of this thread for so long is that I’ve had a place to process many lifestyle changes. I realized that as I was reading about all of you who have changed from doing huge elaborate holiday celebrations to celebrating in other ways. It takes courage to stop doing something you’ve been doing for decades especially if others expect you to continue doing it. My changes have been in becoming more active in place of baking, cooking, and sitting for hours knitting. One of my happiness commandments is “Be Barbie” and it pleases me to see the changes even if there are others who wonder why I don’t knit so much or bake endless chocolate chip cookies.

:bigsmile: Gail, your flower is beautiful….it is clear that you live a lot farther south than I do.

:flowerforyou: Teresa, we have a variety of favorite teams here on this thread and we are all passionate about our favorites and amazingly respectful of others. When my team was successful recently, I was able to enjoy it without anyone making an unpleasant comment…….i love this thread.

:flowerforyou: Sylvia, when I invite people to my house, I cook what I want to cook. Someone told me that when you have a dinner party, the important thing is not what’s on the table, but what’s in the chairs.

:flowerforyou: Margaret, a friend of mine once tried to serve rabbit for Easter dinner and her husband told her that he refused to eat the Easter Bunny.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Heather, I gave up alcohol many years ago because it had such a bad influence on my judgment…yes, I often have things going around in my head all night (often I line dance the same dance in my dreams all night)
    :flowerforyou:
    Kim, when my calorie allowance got lowered to 1200, I upped my exercise and learned to eat my food without sauces and dressings that are big calorie hogs with no real nutrition or bulk to go with the calories.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, granola is one of the foods that’s not allowed in my house because I have no control over it.

:bigsmile: Jb, love the description of the optimist…congrats on your successful recital….I knew it would be great

:bigsmile: My Friday highlight was teaching the beginning line dance class……every week is more fun than the last…..today I had time again to work in my yard and catch up on all the chores that have been left undone all week including a nap.

:flowerforyou: I have been obsessed with the exercise bike which is great because Jake overdid it with his shoulder yesterday (he does yard work for a friend) so today he wanted to sit in the recliner most of the day and watch TV and I rode the bike while we watched.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

2101153cdi7ofu6bu.gif
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Haven't caught up on posts,but wanted to send this url for some of the best dancing you will ever see. So fun to watch. Pat in Ohio

He's 17 and she's 15. But together, they won the 2012 Junior Division National Carolina Shag Dancing Championships.They're dancing to Joe Turner's "Flip, Flop and Fly."

http://www.youtube.com/embed/NF80SbicjBE?rel=0
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I had a wonderful fun day. I got invited to meet a bunch of stitcher's and stitch and chat the day away. I really had a good time. They meet about every three weeks.

Went out to lunch and I stayed good I had veggies and 2 chicken tenders, I don't normally eat breaded fried foods, but I had to have some protein. I even had blueberry cobbler with a little ice cream. I ate the blueberries and left the crust about 4 bites, blueberry is my favorite.

Everyone have a great Easter. Tigress in GA
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Is there room for one more?

Apparently I joined MFP a couple of years ago ... no real recollection of doing that, lol ... am back at it again.

I'm 53 (in my head I"m not much older than 30 or so and I'm always surprised when I catch a glimpse of that old person in the mirror .. where did she come from??), need to lose 35 lbs (this is the third or fourth attempt), had a horrendous 2013 but am finally at a place where I can start. Been at this a month and am down 5 lbs.

I don't track my food/exercise here because I found an app a month ago and have been using that and, well ... I'm lazy sometimes and don't feel like starting anew w/mfp. The message boards seem really good though, so here I am.

Nice to meet everyone.