WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Gloria,

Easter dinner at your house sounds yummy!

Cindy
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Chilly here again 40's instead of where it should be---60's. Went to ladies exercise only to find us cancelled. Then on to grocery store which was super busy and crowded.

Dinner last night with Gwen and her sister turned out to be orange chicken, so Instead of sour cream banana walnut bread I made orange brownies
    which aren't brownies at all, kind of a dense flat cake.

Easter memories............my mother made her own Easter eggs, dipped in chocolate----she used one of those l-o-n-g hat pins to spear them and dip in the liquid chocolate then placed each one on wax paper to dry. We had plain vanilla, walnut, cherry vanilla, coconut, and probably flavors I can't remember.. Of course we had the dyed colored ones too. We always had ham and sweet potatoes and for dessert she would always make a gorgeous 2-layer white cake with white icing covered with coconut----fresh coconut---I remember my dad cracking it open for her and the grating. And EVERY surface was covered with decorations!!!

Margaret.........I did check with the insurance people..........turns out our deductible is 250 and not 500 as I had thought, so I will be getting about 60.00 back---many thanks for the nudge!!!

Rita............Sounds like life is handing you nothing but lemons lately; hope things start going better for you.

Michele and Heather............I do like to row; no idea if I'm doing it right...........better check out youtube myself.

Gail............Thank you!!!! Gorgeous iris!!! I transplanted some of my dad's which bloom to this day.

Tigress.............Neat that your DH is into cards!!

Hugs to everyone
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,090 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Gloria sounds like a lovely Easter dinner.

Sylvia I for one am not a great lover of ham on any occasion, so if there were an alternative I know I would go for it. Who says you have to have ham at Easter.

Katla hope your exam goes well.:flowerforyou:

Juanita sounds lovely to spend time with family in a less stress state.

Cindy down a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Renny hope you feel better.:flowerforyou:

Barbie cat FUN!:smile:

Gail Iris stunning!:love:

Teresa fun memory getting a new dress.

Patty I am trying not to sweat the small stuff too.

Deedee thanks for deer tip. We live near a park and often have deer who visit.:drinker:

Joyce I am happy for you finding a choir. Singing is important to me too.

Social worker came in to teach the Kinders technique to calm down if upset. 1)put hand on tummy check in with yourself 2) Take in a deep breath through your nose 3) count to five slowly 4) tell yourself to calm down. Later in the day a little girl got quite upset when she thought a boy was going to tattle on her. We went through the steps and she did calm down. I tried to find Leah the social worker to tell her how effective it was, but missed her I will try to e-mail her after I conclude here. It works well with the skills I learned at that work shop a couple of weeks ago. The importance of changing a pattern when you are escalating.

Wishing everyone a time to rest on this Good Friday.:flowerforyou:

Goal:
    Today I plan to take a long walk on this sunny day, so I wake up to a healthier tomorrow.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options

Easter memories............my mother made her own Easter eggs, dipped in chocolate----she used one of those l-o-n-g hat pins to spear them and dip in the liquid chocolate then placed each one on wax paper to dry. We had plain vanilla, walnut, cherry vanilla, coconut, and probably flavors I can't remember.. Of course we had the dyed colored ones too. We always had ham and sweet potatoes and for dessert she would always make a gorgeous 2-layer white cake with white icing covered with coconut----fresh coconut---I remember my dad cracking it open for her and the grating. And EVERY surface was covered with decorations!!!

Hugs to everyone
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

Now THIS is why no one will EVER convince me that food is just nutrition.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Gloria - I love the idea of fettucini alfredo. My son loves that! Maybe I'll add it to my list too.

Margaret - hubby is a southern boy and loves his ham. I like sweet ham (although I can't eat it any more) but hubby likes that salty country ham. We can't find that around here though. Too darn bad.

Here is the joke for the day:

:happy:

During training exercises, the Lieutenant driving down a muddy back road encountered another car stuck in the mud with a red-faced colonel at the wheel.

"Your jeep stuck, sir?" asked the Lieutenant as he pulled alongside.

"Nope," replied the Colonel, coming over and handing him the keys, "Yours is."

:laugh:

Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Wow, you ladies do some fancy stuff for Easter. DH can't have ham, ( his doctor said no!) while I'm a very good cook. ( I didn't get this big because I can't cook and ate out a lot) :laugh: I'm not really doing anything for Easter.

My friend Debi is coming from Atlanta next month, she will stay for dinner. She told me she has gone gluten free, I didn't tell her I have too. So I'll make something she will like.

I've started getting rid of some of the junk around here. I can only throw out so much each week, since they only pick up the trash once a week. The dump is only open week days which I think is crazy since most people do lots of cleaning out on the weekend.

Well I'm going to make lunch. Bbl. Tigress in GA
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    OH my!! I didn’t find time yesterday to catch up with everyone and I have 3 pages of reading ahead of me!! Here goes… 8:31am finished 9:56am We are all certified chatty cathys!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Renny – hope you feel better. As for a punishment for hubby… hmmm; maybe baby you until you feel better? :smile:

Carol – the tape measure counts! ‘cause actually what shows is what the tape measure says... Glad to hear your son is doing better. Hope things continue to improve. I have not taken the leap to a smart phone yet, but need too!

Heather, do you row on a machine, or out on a lake or river? Here in California everyone (almost) has watering systems as we will not have any rain from mid to late may until October… so watering is a must! LATER: The neighbor has Lilac spilling over my back fence all in bloom – I love it! :flowerforyou:

Patty – Love the easter egg profile pic… So sad to hear about Baily!!!! I did not know they could be casted for a broken back. Sounds miserable! :cry:

Alison – you are such a busy bee!!! LATER: So sad about the neighbor who passed.

Steeler_fan – welcome ! we chat with everyone and a great support gang. Later: Teresa – great to hear a bit about you; congrats on the upcoming wedding!

Phyllis - How proud you must be of your son! Many of us have stressful families and have to power through, :grumble: I listened to an interview on NPR about how to deal with conversations the other day and the most powerful thing I got from it was, if a question is asked you don’t want to answer, don’t – just send the conversation in another direction. It was such a good idea – one I need to practice; I have always felt I needed to answer or tell the person I didn’t want to answer – both of those seemed rude – but the idea of just changing it …example “So why don’t you ever come to visit?” Answer: “ I went to this great Thai restaurant last week, I would love to make Thai food, have you ever tried Thai food? “ My family asks questions I don’t want to deal with and I loved this technique! :love:

Carol – what a tough spot; Letting someone go is hard: but sometimes a person needs to lose something they count on to force themselves to look inward and see what needs to be changed. You’ll do your part with grace and understanding that it is for the greater good.

Amanda – “It's really cramping my style! I'm supposed to be a born-again sex goddess and feel more like a death-warmed-up old hag. Not quite the look I'm going for. “ OMG LOLOLOLO:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

JB - LoVE the poem!!!! You and your students will be great!!!

Rita – hang in – what a drag that everything is more $$ than it should be…

Joyce – I know that feeling, if I don’t write notes I am lost at responding to what is going on. LATER: enjoy the choir and your low key Easter meal. :smile:

Gail – beautiful iris!!! Mine are blooming here too:flowerforyou:

Sylvia – I think your menu sounds fine; but why not just to mashed sweet potatoes for all of you, do the ham and 2-3 chicken breasts; cut in slices and then set it up in a buffet style and folks can take what they want; you can just skip the stuff you don’t want, that way no-one has to realize that you are controlling what you eat so carefully. I do a salt free spice rub on my chicken and turkey before I cook it so it is full of flavor and not all the extra sodium… I ‘ll dig out the recipe and post it later. :smile:

So I lost another pound this week!!! I am so darn proud of myself - I did not believe I could do this; and enjoy it so much:smile: Thanks for all the support. I meal planned this week - and last nights recipe was AMAZING! I got it from skinnytaste.com Red Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp and it was only 135 cal. per serving - I served it with brown rice, and a salad. so so yummy and easy. I could do this for company :happy: I love the idea of the items I make being perfect for me; yet nice enough for company. I think it is because I have unexpected guests often. this week I had folks stay for dinner 3 times, one friend stop in for lunch and did morning lattes (I have an espresso machine) with another friend. and only the latte stop was planned.

Well Easter is almost here and I have one more flower bed to weed; and plenty of work - so better get to it.

Smiles Kim in sunny N. California
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    Happy Good Friday. :smile: It is to be in the 70's today and tomorrow. Of course I work both days and Sunday. Tonight we are going to Central City (30 miles) for our monthly supper ride with our CMA group. I am hoping to be able to ride the motorcycle over.
    Happy Dance!! DH took our computer over and they were able to pull the pictures off the hard drive. So I got the pictures of dad's funeral. Took the flash drive right to Wal Greens and got them printed. Had copies of two that no one else had, made for my sisters and brothers. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    They did an upgrade on our computers at work and now the print is so small. I am really having problems with it. So have to put in a call to IT to fix that. I just dread calling as our call center is out of the country and they have so much trouble understanding us. Makes getting used to the small print almost worth it, just hurts my eyes. If it doesn't get better wiil have to make the call.
    I did not have a good day food wise yesterday and hoping the scale doesn't show it next week. My BS this morning was 82 which makes no sense with the junk I ate. But today is a new day and the important part is not to give up. Seems the last month or better I have been having lots of bad days.

Pennie--hugs:flowerforyou: :heart:

Sue--glad to hear DH did well and all set for the next six months.:smile:

Allison--sounds like DFIL is ajusting well. Sorry to hear about your friend.:flowerforyou:

Renny--I have had this cough for acouple weeks, went to doctor and got the z-pack. But shill have the cough and makes trying to sleep atnight not fun.I would kiss DH back and say you just wanted to share like he did.

Roni--Hope you are feeling better. They are doing alot of cut backs at the hospital where I work. Word is no one is safe. I have been here 27 years. Good thing about having my job is they can not out source us.

Patty--hugs to DD and family and the puppy. How sad.:sad:

Phyllis--Hugs to you. I know I get so tried worrying about money and everytime I think I am getting ahead something comes up. I know what you mean about ex's. Only mine is dealing with DH's everytime something comes up with the kids or grandkids.

Sylvia--Sorry to hear DGS didn't like scoccer any better this week. I agree sounds like DH needs a different kind of mask. I know my dads was over the mouth and nose. He was mostly a mouth breather. Sounds like DS is keeping on top of his health issues. Hope it gets better for him soon. Love the coffee joke. Thanks for making me smile everytime I read one. I understand how you feel, everytime we have anyone come over I about make myself sick worring about the house being clean enough or making the right food. Prayers for you to relax. DH saw this deal about planting jelly beans the night before Easter with little kids or grandkids and then during the night go out and replace them with suckers. I would do that but I work all day Sunday and we are going over to DS's for supper after work. I am very lucky as DS and DDIL have taken over having holidays for their kids and have us and her parents there. Then we just hit and miss with the others when and if they have time.

Amanda--Good Luck on getting your surgery scheduled.:flowerforyou:

Rita--Sorry to hear the problems with the house up for sale. Praying it gets sold soon and be one less thing for you to worry about.:flowerforyou:

Heather--I agree that you should do a cookbook with pictures. I would buy one for sure.:happy:

Katla--good for you getting that exam. I have my mamogram and pap every year in March my birthday month. And glad to have it done for another year.

Well ladies hope you all have a great rest of the day and remember we are in this together.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Good fri.
    Violet woke up at 2;30 am wanting her parents.Fell asleep til 6,then got cramps in her legs. :sad: Back to sleep.830 up and ready to :color eggs.
    Met with the ladies to sort yarn,came back with 2 lg bags of yarn.
    beautiful spring day-60`s
    HUGS
    jane:heart:
  • Yardtigress
    Options
    DH came home early from work, he's on days this week for a class, and gave me chocolate for Easter. While I love the man dearly, he just doesn't get it. I now have enough chocolate for the rest of the year. I haven't been craving chocolate since I stopped eating bread, pasta and potatoes. I had on square instead of my half apple for my snack, he want me to try it. It was very good, but now I have to brush my teeth again.:laugh: :laugh:

Tigress in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    Options
    Went over on calories today - my fault for drinking half a bottle of wine which loosens my inhibitions. Chocolate and nuts follwed. Oops! ! ! ! ! :sad: Reckon I'm over my TDEE by 200 cals. Tomorrow is another day. Message to self - STAY AWAY FROM THE ALCOHOL! ! ! ! ! ! DH is at football tomorrow so must keep out of the fridge!
    When I have had a couple of drinks I get like a naughty schoolgirl - sneaking out to the kitchen cupboards to eat the cooking chocolate! :sad: I never do this without alcohol so will abstain. One drink seems to be ok, two is disaster.
    Thank you for listening to my ashamed confession.:embarassed:

Heather UK
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Heather and Tigress - you both are having chocolate issues!!!! I am not a huge chocolat-holic but have figured out what about 100 calories of the sweet in the house at the moment - put each 100 calorie piece in a zippy bag and then I know I can have one zippy bag - right now it is working for me... who knows if it will work in a week; but so far so good.

So I am going to whine a little - I have now lost 13lbs that is good; but MFP decided that I should have my calories, etc re-figured so I said ok; and it makes sense that now I have to eat fewer calories - I wasn't really prepared but I get it. The part that is a bigger drag (again it makes sense, but darn it all) is that the same exercise uses up less calories... so it is going to be more work to get a bit more calories to eat... Like I said it all makes sense to my head - but my tummy liked the old way!!!

Ok done whining, back to work... will check in later :)

Kim in N. California
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    well I did what I needed to do today, but threw caution to the wind and ate all sorts of junk today, I know I am WAY WAY over on calories, and will make up for it this weekend...
    my Easter memories are of getting dressed for mass,with my little dress shoes and hat and white gloves..
    always had a big Easter Basket with SOLID chocolate easter bunny.. they dont make those anymore and if they do they are crazy expensive...
    gave blood this morning and helped there for a little while, then went to see my friends and helped the kids dye Easter eggs, not see if you can keep this straight..
    my DH first wife's ,First husband is who's house I went to, I am friends with #1 thats Tom's first wife and her kids and Dwayne ,DH first wife first husband:laugh: hid 10 Dunkin Donut gift cards for us to find lol, well I am not a good looker , dwayne gave me a clue for the first one and Sharon's sister Diane gave me the other one lol. so got 2 ,10.00 gift cards, came home and gave one to DH for his trip..
    DH leaves for florida on thursday for 10 days so it will be me and the boys for that time...I will hold down the fort...
    went to see DFIL and he was in the TV room, he was happy to see us.. and he points to me and sorta tears up and tells DH you got a good one there and DH says yea the maid takes care of both of us ... my DFIL cant remember my real name so he calls me the maid:wink:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone; it was a no-mojo day. Sigh.
    Hope everyone sleeps well. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia
  • Yardtigress
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, but I can resist, I have chocolate kisses in a plastic bag sitting on my end table. I just leave them there, and I don't want them. If i do I have one or two, but that's all.

Tigress in GA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Kim, my recent calorie cut curtesy of MFP was down to 1200 calories!!!!! I try to stay around that number but it sure is hard. And from what I read, 1200 is starvation mode so I feel that is why my weight loss so so low.

My husband knows not to get me any chocolate. I am a worse chocolaholic than he is. Only 2 more days of those tempting Cadbury mini eggs in the store!

Well I need to put my hamburger recipe in the recipe make here so I can figure out my calories for Sunday

Joyce, Indiana
  • Jeanne130LBS
    Jeanne130LBS Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I will bump here and also say I am feeling wierd again, like Tuesday night before I started getting sick to my stomach. Since I can't take Ambien anymore I've been taking Benadryl to sleep, I am wondering if this is causing me to feel so dizzy and nauses.
    I guess I'll have to make an appointment with my doctor and see what alternatives are out there. I am allergic to asprin, ibupropin and codine, my family has a history of being allergic to drugs so I am fearful of trying things but I don't know what else to do.
    Sorry to sound like a downer here, I actually am not down or depressed, I just have to find a way to turn off my mind at night and be able to sleep.
    Sunshine and rainbows to all
    Patty Cincinnati, OH
  • Jeanne130LBS
    Jeanne130LBS Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Melatonin. I take 5 mg each nite and it works great. If I wake up within 4 hrs of wanting to get up I take 1mg and off to sleep I go for about another 4 hrs. It is a natural thing our bodies make and the production slows as we age. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    I want to eat something and have been sitting here for half an hour trying to talk myself down...haha.. I'm already over my calories for today (Not by much), but the ridiculous thing is that I'm not even hungry!!! I just wanna eat!!! Ugh!!

Renny, I hope you feel better soon! Hopefully you'll be able to get some rest and feel better before your company comes!

Kim, no wedding on the horizon just yet. Lol. I'm so proud of your. weight loss this week! Keep up the great work! I need to get off my behind tonight and go walk before it gets dark..... I just don't have much umph tonight.

Heather, I laughed out loud when I read your post about drinking the wine! Only because that sounds EXACTLY like me! Thankfully I usually do a good job of staying away from the alcohol..... and for me it also leads to my eating snacks and other things that I wouldn't have otherwise. Like I said, it sounds JUST LIKE ME! Stay STRONG girl!

Have a good night ladies!

Teresa
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

Heather and Teresa, I laughed too about the wine. I work hard to save calories so I can have some red wine each evening. I love chocolate so I don't have it in the house very often. I measure my wine in 2-3 oz pours, funny I know but it works for me so I don't have more than 6-8 oz. :wink:

Have a great evening everyone. Sleep well. :yawn:

Cindy in OK