WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    The meeting went ok last night, stayed within my calories.

Val-thanks to Harry Potter I know what a To$$er is. Lol

Meg- we had something similar happen with our daughter, she was in the marines(still is) and decided she wanted a child, but not a husband. DH almost lost it, he was so mad that she was being so stupid. She was so afraid to tell her father, afraid he would disown her. I told him if you want to lose her, go ahead and yell. We supported her decision, DH gritted his teeth and smiled, and now she's married( different guy) and has a second child. Keep talking to her and maybe get her to talk to some adopted folks, so she would feel better about it.

I did a walking video today for a mile, my enter back into exercise. It's still a little cold in the morning to walk outside. I'll do a week of one mile and up it to two miles. Now that my food choices are under control, I can add in some exercise.

Tigress in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    Options
    Patty - many congrats!:flowerforyou:

Kim - Ploughman's Lunch? ! ? !

Well folks I am super tired after my trip to London. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: Good day - lovely to see my friend and the Viking exhibition was good, with some lovely artefacts, but hugely crowded and I can't think why we organised to go up in the Easter hols! ! ! :noway: Loads of kids and mothers with overloud voices explaining exhibits to the whole room. :angry: London was FULL! But we got in some good walking and it was a good day out.
    I will go slightly over cals today as I only managed 194 calories from the walking, but only by about 125. Disaster, not.

Early night tonight I think. Sorry I haven't replied to more of you, but my mind is a fog.:tongue: I am thinking of you. Congrats to the losers!:tongue:

Heather in still sunny Hampshire UK
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    Good Wednesday morning ladies.:drinker: This week is flying by again. Had a nice evening out with the girls last evening. I even did well eating. When I got home last evening in the mail I had gotten a book from a friend of my sisters. She had taken pictures at dad's funeral and lunch and had them made into a book. Really nice and a great keepsake. Now I just need to get DH to take the hard drive off our old computer and take it to the computer place and see if they can get those pictures off of that I had taken at the funeral.. Not sure they can but want to atleast try.

Yanniejannie--hope you get things done to get your windsheld fixed. I don't know that I could deal long distance. Thank goodness for DH as he takes care of all that.

Sylvia--sure hope DH can figure out how to sleep with the CPAP. I just don't think I could do it with that mask on. How scary for both DGD and you. Sometimes I just do not understand people. The leader sounds like her heart just is not in this. Hope you can figure something out that works for all of you.

Cindy--Thanks for the recipe. I do think I will try that. I do think I will try adding bananas.:smile:

Meg--I know the weather over the weekend was crazy. Prayers for you and DD. :heart:

Alison--congrates on making gym in the ice and cold. :flowerforyou:

Patty--Big CONGRATES on passing and becoming a PT.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Well ladies have a great afternoon and remember we are all in this together.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I hope you are all enjoying your day.

My son was feeling really bad when I went to get the grandson for story time this morning, and now he's not answering his phone. Hopefully just taking a nap, but you know how worried I am. I'm trying hard not to over-react. He said something about going to the hospital if he wasn't feeling better soon, so that could be it too. I trolled the parking lot at the hospital and didn't see his car or his wife's truck, but I did see an ambulance out on a run when I was leaving the library. I'd like just one day without a crisis of some kind.

And I didn't sleep a wink last night. Every time I started to drift off I woke in a panic thinking about my granddaughter being left alone at that school. This morning I had intensive phone number training for my grandson and by the time I dropped him off at preschool he pretty much had it. I'll have to continue to practice it so it's committed to memory. I told him to take a picture of the number with his eyes and store it in his brain-computer so he would always have it. If he can do it, then a first grader and a fourth grader should be able to do it. Gloria, you are right about forgetting numbers in stressful situations though. The business card thing is a great idea. I have a thousand of those just sitting around.

Here is the joke for the day:

:happy:

Bill: Where did you get that gold watch Joe?

Joe: I won it in a race.

Bill: How many people participated in it?

Joe: Three, a policeman, the owner of the watch, and me!!

:laugh:

Have a great day!

Sylvia

ps: Meg, let us know how you're doing. Big hug from Kansas!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Got laundry going,went for a walk,pot of soup going.
    Sending Hugs to all.
    HUGS:heart::heart:
    jane
  • Ginryl
    Ginryl Posts: 35
    Options
    Haven't been on at all this month. Kinda gave up plus things going on in family life. :embarassed:
    But thanks to a couple of ladies that have emailed me from the site & asked what's up??:bigsmile: They will never know how much this has helped me today. So thanks to them & those of you on this site. :flowerforyou: It nice to know you take notice & care.
    I will try read up on what's happened the last few days & pull myself up by my boot straps :bigsmile: Tomorrow is a new day
    Have a great one ladies MFP friends
    Pennie TX
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Katlia, I probably didn't explain the whole spiritual growth comment very well. It's that "praising God in every situation" but not necessarily "for every situation" thing, if that makes sense.

Speaking of spiritual growth, My prayer for today, "Lord, give me patience, and give it to me right now!"
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,951 Member
    Options
    Bumping to mark my place.

Rita from CT (snow, ice, sun, and puddles!)
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, thinking of those with stress and/or physical problems. :flowerforyou:
    Goodnight,
    Cynthia
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,885 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Got DH to the hospital this morning for his dilation and things went well. He should be good for another six months now. I have been doing stretches and short walks and back is feeling better. Going to try some very gentle yoga tomorrow.

Got called to go into work tomorrow, too many new referrals and no time to do evaluations. Now that is a good problem to have!!! It is snowing here. My tulips are up about six inches but not blooming yet so they should be fine. Lilac leaves are just beginning to come out.

Patty - Congratulations on passing your test. I am sure you will make a great and empathetic trainer.:bigsmile:

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    14,000 steps thats including the gym..
    got alot of stuff done before work, then worked all day, came home and have a load of my DFIL stuff in the wash...
    well he got caught in the act of smooching Annie by my SIL today:laugh:
    all I have to say is they have there hands full down there...
    did ok eating today, over on the sugar as usual,but will get up early and get to the gym in the morning:wink:
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Patty – CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

DeeDee – what a drag with the Crown.. who would think a grape would be enough to make one fall out. :sad:

Phillyb – welcome, we are full of support and a place to vent without eating. :smile:

Cindy – what a drag the dress was wrong… can I come to your house for breakfast!!! Sounds so yummy

Everyone else I read all the posts and laughed at some and cheered at others and forgot to take notes!!!! But kept getting distracted by clients. Thats a good thing most of the time; but it does surprise me when they drop in with no appointment.

Had a good day, the mow and blow guy came today and the lawn is ready for Easter; tomorrow evening my cleaning gal comes and I am good to go! I remembered to pull the turkey out of the freezer so it is slowly defrosting in the refrigerator... yeah!!

Going to have pumpkin pasta and broccoli for dinner, and fit in a walk with Levi this evening.
    Smiles Kim from N. California
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,090 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

Alison14, 000 steps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue it came as a rain for us. Just north of us 7 inches. May get some tonight.

Dr.katie yes I could use some patience.

Jane hugs.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia hugs.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie windshield might be covered under comprehensive. I got a chip recently and tried a fill you can buy at an auto parts store. So far no crack across the windshield. If that happens I know I will need to get a new one. I have already had to do that once with my car. It is a 2003. Sorry your experience added to your stress.

Vicki good job with eating out.

Heather wish the Viking exhibit hadn’t been so crowded for you. Sounds like you made the best of it.

Michele thanks for your thoughts on grief. Our group did touch on some of the stages. We also discussed the circular nature of it. How some of the stages and thoughts come round one or more times. Each time gives us another chance to contemplate where we are in the cycle of grief. There is no right or wrong way. The stages are not necessarily in order. What looks like denial is more than likely the shock of the loss rather than a denial of grief.

It was my mechanic who told me about keeping your tank at a quarter full. He explained the fuel pump pumps your gas from your gas tank into the engine to burn. The further the gas is down in the gas tank the harder the pump has to work.

I am working tomorrow, so I will not have much time in the morning.

Tonight I will sing in choir, so I wake up to a healthier tomorrow.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    A male (yes, male) co-worker said to me the other day, that if men had to have babies, the human race would no longer be in existence! Just saying...while I'm thinking about Meg.

Okay...confession: I have not caught up on all the recent posts. Plus, I am feeling sick, woke up with a sore throat. Darned! The whole family already had this dreaded cold, and I thought I had it licked. And then...my husband KISSED me. What should be his punishment, you think? Ideas welcomed.

Going to bed now (it's only 6 p.m.) bleh.

Renny
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,

I finally caught up on all the posts. It’s been great being home for two solid weeks, but I’m working with a heavy heart. Just feeling in a funk about my job, which is highly unusual. :grumble: I can’t even put my finger on what it is. I’ve been at this job for close to 19 years. Maybe it’s time for a change? Maybe it will pass… Taking things a day, even an hour, at a time.

Denise: I live in Colorado (Littleton) and also have a home in Honolulu. It’s the best both worlds. :wink: Where in CO are you? Front Range MFP ladies on this post have met in person a couple of times. Send me a personal message if you’d like to know about any future get-togethers.

Renny: Love how joyfully you gave away your unworn Jones NY dress. You’re right, someday it will be someone’s lucky find. :happy:

DeeDee: I can relate to spending 4 hours looking at granite. My weekend was spent on the hunt for new flooring. I do the early legwork, then bring the ‘contenders’ home to DH to help make final decisions. :wink: Wish I had a son-in-law in home improvement business. We decided on cork. Has anyone installed this in their home?

Patty: Congrats! You’re going to make a terrific, compassionate personal trainer. :flowerforyou:

Meg: Hugs and prayers to you and yours. I can't believe DD has such harsh impression of adoption...:brokenheart:

Michelle: Chocolate pumpkin pound cake sounds fantastic. Did you use silken tofu in it? I continue to use that valuable tip you shared. Worked great for my first attempt making gluten free shortbread this week. :smile: :smile:

Katla: I hope your acupuncture experience was positive and she was able to knock down you pain. :smokin:

Grandmallie: Proud of you for maintaining grace with all you’ve gone through, and for getting back into the gym. Sometimes the hardest part is just showing up.

To everyone else, know that I am thinking of you and wishing you success in your endeavors. Stay well. Stay warm. Stay focused on what really matters.

Rori
    From the Colorado Foothills where it’s cold enough to snow…AGAIN :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

My word for 2014 = Release

:heart: Goals for April with progress to date:
    Strength training 90 minutes per week - - Missing this by about 15 mins per week. :yawn:
    Three times a week, consume fewer than 50 carbs – Not perfect, but getting closer. :embarassed:
    Pick up the phone and call a friend or relative 1x per week just to check in - - Ashamed to say I’m failing at this.:sad:
    De-clutter and clean my home office. - - Done ! :bigsmile:
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hi all! It seems to have been a hectic week here. Oh, wait! I work for two churches. Why on earth would I think this week would NOT be hectic?! :huh: In any case, nothing bad has happened, just too many things to do.

Meg - I'm so sorry y'all are struggling. I don't know your circumstances, but it seems pretty obvious that this was not welcome news. Hugs and wishes for the best for you and your family!

Congratulations to all those who have lost! The scale is still not budging for me but I did randomly measure the other day and I've lost inches, so I guess I'm good with that. :happy:

I feel like I've moved up in the world since I last posted. I am finally the owner of a smart phone! It will cost me money that I don't really want to spend, but it was time for an upgrade and the carrier is not cooperative about non-smart phones. It will also be very nice to have internet connection when I visit my parents. So many people and businesses think one has constant email access, that one can miss really time-sensitive stuff. I went to Walmart to get the phone since they definitely had the lowest price, only to be told that their wireless person would not be there until 11 a.m. I went back after 11 a.m. and was told that my ex had to be present in order for me to get a phone. I drove 20+ miles to meet my ex at a Walmart closer to him and waited 45 minutes for someone to wait on us only to be told that they didn't have those phones at that store. We were going to go to yet another Walmart, but when he called, they were out of stock. So, we ended up at Best Buy. Guess what! They price match so I got the phone for the same price as Walmart! Woohoo!!! So far, I like it pretty well, but still need to figure out a whole lot of stuff. However, I can text and make phone calls, so it does its basic jobs. That 12-hour quest made it so that I didn't get home until 9 p.m. Monday night. Last night I spent too much time trying to figure out how to get some settings so that they worked better for me. All of this, on top of not sleeping much over the past month or so, and the boy child is so terribly confused as to why I am so cranky that he wants to go to the pet store and buy an aquarium and fish to bring into a house that I am trying to empty out!! :grumble:

In good news about the boy child, the new meds seem to be clearing up the vomiting so we are waiting to hear from Duke for an appointment with an allergist to see what (other) food he is allergic to. Also (drum roll, please!), this same child will be attending not one, but two proms next month! Evidently there is a girl at church who was talking about not going to her prom because she and her boyfriend had split up, and boy child asked her to go to his prom. Since the events are on the same day, they will go to her prom first because it begins at 7:30 p.m. and then leave there to attend his prom which begins at 9 p.m. Luckily, the girl has her license and access to a vehicle, otherwise my ex would be doing a lot of chauffeuring! The two proms are 60 miles or so apart. :ohwell: DeeDee - That would be one in Winston Salem and the other in Mebane.

It seems as if I had something else that I really wanted to share, but my brain is too tired to think. If I remember, I will post tomorrow. If not, y'all probably haven't missed anything! :laugh:

Carol in cold NC
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Sleep well everyone!

Cindy in windy OK:yawn:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Patty, congratulatons…….we all knew you’d be successful

:laugh: DeeDee, I never put my winter stuff away until June---never can tell when the weather will have a “relapse”

:flowerforyou: Michele, Haifa was always good about me giving him his insulin…it surprised me, too.

:bigsmile: Heather, when you recommended “The Happiness Hypothesis” a few months ago, I wrote down the title and finally got the book from the library.

:bigsmile: Allison, congrats on your 14,000 steps

:flowerforyou: I don’t seek “opportunities for spiritual growth” but when trouble comes, I thank God for the opportunity to learn lessons I couldn’t possibly learn any other way. I cultivate an attitude of gratitude even for those bumps in the road that I’d rather avoid.

:yawn: :yawn: In an article about sleep, I read the suggestion to count backwards by 3’s starting at 300 and it will keep your mind occupied on something simple enough for you to figure out but will take your mind off all the stuff that’s keeping you awake. I tried it and it helped a lot.

:bigsmile: Today I am grateful that we don’t have the money to remodel or purchase any major items so we don’t have to spend endless hours shopping and making decisions.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

“Enough is abundance to the wise." - Euripide
  • kathrineb57
    kathrineb57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello Beautiful Ladies, Just popping in to see what is going on today. My last LONG day at work, 13,445 steps worth! Looking forward to my days off. Even looking forward to doing some outdoor walking.

Really tired, need to finish my food diary.

Will catch up tomorrow.

Be strong & healthy women.

Kathrine from Kansas

April goal:
    * to record my food diary, before I eat it
    * to lose 5 lbs
    * to find really delicious breakfast recipes
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,387 Member
    Options
    Just got back from the last Newcomer bowling. I don't have a whole lot of time but will try to get in what I can.

katla - enjoy your accupuncture visit

Sylvia - I'll be looking out for a report about your son. Can't hardly imagine what you're going thru

Renny - I've always said if they want zero population growth, have men have babies! Feel better fast.

Rori - I didn't use silken tofu in the pumpkin chocolate cake. Hey...I was giving it to someone else. They might not have needed it "healthified". I have a friend who avoids gluten so I made these gluten free cookies for her. I was pretty proud of them. Only come to find out that she couldn't eat them because they contained butter and she's also lactose intolerant!

Carol in NC - congrats on moving up in the world! So glad about your boy child. That was so nice of him to invite that girl to the prom(s)

Michele in NC