WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! It's such a beautiful day here today, after our freak snow storm yesterday. This is crazy.

Today I had to go to the printer to pick up postcards and posters for our group pottery show in May, then take them over to Joplin to get them into the hands of the postal sorting people to get them mailed out. Almost there, my phone rang and it was the yard crew wanting to come mow our lawn. So I had to dash back home and lock up the dogs, now I've come back to the studio to type up the minutes from our club meeting on Sunday. Then pick up the girls from school at 5:00, take one home so she can go to girl scouts and take the other to swim lessons. Then at 8:00 pick up the older girl from girl scouts and take her back home. THEN, I can go home and eat supper. Whew! no wonder I'm not getting any pottery done. I have a lot of pieces thrown and bisque fired and just need to glaze them for the upcoming show and hope (fingers crossed) that they turn out OK.

Hubby got his CPAP machine a few days ago and is really struggling to make it work. The logistics of sleeping with that mask on, and not rolling over on the hose, is hard. He is getting less sleep than before, if that's possible. It's only been three nights so far, so I hope he figures it out. His back is still bad. He stands about 30 degrees from perpendicular. But he went to work this morning to give an exam. He said he thinks getting up and around is helping.

Anyhow, here is the joke of the day, but I don't think it's very funny:
    :happy:

A man is incomplete until he is married… then he is finished.

:grumble:

Have a great afternoon everyone!

Sylvia
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Started on page 5! Now I'm caught up. Husband removed the snow tires on Sunday ... 73 degrees yesterday ... then torrential rains ... followed by 2 inches of snow today. The weather is obviously bipolar! But you can blame it on the premature tire removal ... I am.

Been busy here. Way too much baking and liberal sampling going on, though! And I too will be happy when the chocolate is out of sight .... like a moth to a flame ... I can't help but gravitate towards the stuff!

Sylvia…I understand all too well how our own minds can be our worst enemies. I have been struggling at my current weight …up a few down a few … but unable to break into Onederland. I’m so close! To make matters worse … every time someone compliments me, I end up eating!! Sheesh! Exercise sounds like the best anecdote. And baggy pants are dangerous …. I start feeling like I have room to eat. Not true! Congratulations on the size 16s!

Michele … I was told Windex will eat through your sealer! Target sells The Method granite cleaner … only thing my granite installer recommended. It puts a beautiful shine on it.

Meg … hugs and prayers...

Margaret … love your husband’s humor!

Hoping to get back on the exercise track .... zumba tonight.

Beth in Western New York
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Wishing everyone a good night! :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Popping in to report on the oatmeal adventure. It is yummy! Better after it cools and sets.

Val, your dessert sounds awesome!

Vicki, below is the recipe.

I combined 2 recipes. This bakes In 9x13 inch pan, 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes.

2 cups rolled oats
    1 cup milk (any kind, I used silk soy milk)
    1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 1/2 cups frozen cherries
    1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (I would have used 1/2 cup but ran out)
    1 t vanilla
    1 t baking powder
    3 T cocoa
    1 t cinnamon
    1 t salt
    1/4 cup liquid egg whites (could use real eggs)
    2 T chia seeds
    1/4 cup raw honey

I mixed the dry ingredients, then mixed the wet ingredients separately. I added some stevia to taste, I wanted it a little sweeter. I mixed dry and wet, then folded in the cherries and baked.

I admit that I like to play with recipes. You could add some nuts or slice bananas in the bottom of the dish then add the oatmeal. Once I am comfortable with a recipe I can't help but embellish.

If you try it, I hope you enjoy!

Have a great evening everyone!

Cindy in OK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,734 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    pouring buckets here all day.. it was even raining sideways for awhile:grumble:
    didnt get over to see my DFIL today but will go in the morning....
    well i am trying to eat well ,but it is tough...
    Meg - I will throw my 2 cents in on your situation for I was there 7 yrs ago... my daughter dropped that bombshell on me and she was 18 yrs old, hadnt known the boy more than 6 months..
    The gament of emotions for me was all over, first, your to young , get an abortion.. to give it up for adoption... didn't tell my DH for a couple of weeks ,I was physically sick...
    I prayed alot.... and then let it sink in... that experience made my daughter grow up alot... she wasnt on the best path , but I raised her well, so she took the responsibilty and so did her boyrfriend.. they are still together and are raising Taliah .. and she is the light of my life...
    I will keep you, your daughter and the situation all in my thoughts and prayers, and what ever her decision is..
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. Long day today starting with a headache I woke up with that hasn’t gone away. During an exam review I caught a student taking pictures of the questions with his cell phone. Are you kidding me? Right in front of me too. So I had to report that as an academic integrity violation. Good grief, my students already have at least one college degree! Don’t you think he should know better?

Well the funny think about DD#1 is that I knew she was pg about 8 weeks ago. She was standing by me and I felt something…an energy or something…and I told DH she was. She only found out 3 weeks ago. She couldn’t believe I already knew. The bf is being an *kitten* and totally ignoring her now; they live together and she says he has not spoken to her since she found out. He stays out all night and sleeps all day while she’s at work. Lovely. She still does not know what she is going to do. She is very against adoption (she thinks it’s a crime against children….good grief), but we talked a lot about it last night. If she keeps the baby she has no money and couldn’t even afford her own place to live, so she’d have to go on welfare. Oh my. My head is spinning.

Michele: your food all sounds great. I want all of it LOL. I have never worked with marzipan but I have only heard of the almond. And yes she is 10 weeks pg and very unhappy about it. Actually she’s devastated. I SO wanted to ask her “Why are you sleeping in some guy’s bed and not using any kind of birth control”!!!!!!! But I bit my tongue.

Sylvia: a good joke is always appreciated! Especially now so no worries about joking! Keep them coming, they really brighten my day.

Kathrine: so glad you had a successful day and have found a support group.

Joyce: boy aint that the truth! You can teach all day long and it just falls out the other ear.

DeeDee: so glad you got such a good night’s sleep!

Val: thanks for the support you sent from such a long way!

Jb we will miss your poems!

Cindy: your oatmeal recipe sounds great

Heather: thanks for the reminder!

Pat; one day at a time for sure

Katla: I tried to see the eclipse but it was too cloudy and with all our trees I couldn’t quite place the moon in the sky from the
    windows, without my glasses, in the middle of the night, stumbling over shoes LOL:laugh:

Kim: your day sounds delightful! Enjoy

Jill: what a great picture! Thanks for sharing!

Gloria: talk about mother nature needing medication…on Saturday it was 82 here then Sunday we got 4 inches of snow. Dear
    heavens!

Tere: great nsv!!!!

Vicki: have a great time out. I agree, there is only so much we can control in life!

Sue: I hope your back is getting better by now

Alison: thank you for sharing your story with us. That is so wonderful how well it all turned out for your family and I’m sure you
    are blessed.

Well, must head off….DD#2 tells me dinner is ready….black bean and corn tacos. It’s one of our favorite vegetarian dishes but it is a little carb heavy (I bought low carb tortilla shells this time) so we don’t have it often. My blood sugars have been high since my last A1C and I feel like I have lost the ability to control them.

Thanks to EVERYONE for their thoughts, hugs, warm wishes, prayers, and good thoughts. You are all appreciated and important to me. :heart: :heart: :heart: Meg in psycho-weather Omaha
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    So I was thinking of you all just now and had to tell you! Wish you all were here for one big coffee clatch! I have had the needles in my machines break today, a huge thread nest, and run out of a critical (but under used ) thread color!! I just want to be surrounded by you guys!! and not broken stuff! Oh H@$$ an alarm just went off again! Ok not so bad, just a bobbin out of thread - easy fix.

I looked at the restaurant menu, on line, where we are going tonight - no nutritional info- So guessing it will be, but they are trying to pretend to be a British Pub so they have a plowman's platter on the menu and it is one of the only things not deep fat fried. I'll see if I can convince my friend to share that with our drink. Not that cheese and sausage is that great - but it has to be better than fried cheese!

I was wondering has anyone heard from MA - I have not seen her in a long time...

Jill – Congrats to you! What a nice honor:smile:

Gloria – LOL on the drugs for Mom Nature!!! :laugh:

Val and Heather – How cool is that a great MFP networking!!! :smile:

Tere – Congrats on the size lower and the gym; tread gently with DD :wink:

Meg - Hang in, I don’t blame you for wanted to ask her what was she thinking, but good job on biting your tongue! GRR:grumble: on BF – not to mature! this is such a big decision and I am sure she doesn't feel ready to make it - but with love and care she will find her way through this. Be sure to take care of you and the rest of the family; you can't help her if you are not taking care of you.

Kim in N. CAL
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    There a lot of times when we see our children (all 7 of them) making the@#@#&* decisions!:explode: Then come the consequences of their actions and they are so surprised and ill equipped to deal with them.:sad: Sometimes we would like to beat them to death!:mad: In the end all we can do is pray for them and offer whatever support we can. Right now we are up to 13 grandchildren! We love them all and do the best we can for all of them.:flowerforyou: The girls get to me the most because I can see the roads they pave for themselves. But we have learned that the best thing we can do is hold our "whist" (as my grandmother used to say) and stay calm. Sometimes it works and they heed our words of wisdom and sometimes they crash and burn.:huh: A lot of times I just concentrate on getting a dirty gin martini!:drinker: My mother reminds me that although it was long ago :blushing: she had those kinds of moments with me and look at how I turned out.:tongue:

So for all of us with children that have issues I send forth prayers of comfort and peace. :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: Remember to be kind to yourself!

Tere
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good eve.
    Weather has gone crazy-snowed last night.:noway:
    Pt went well.
    Meg,sending hugs.:heart::heart: :heart:
    Saw Violet today,took her to Mcd`s.Sat there with a diet coke,no food.:drinker: :drinker:
    Have a good night all
    HUGS:heart::heart: :heart:
    jane
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good evening...........the rain cleared, the sun came out, then it got cloudy. By the time I went to tai chi and yoga, it was very windy and I took a fleece jacket even though it was way too warm to wear it. When I came out of the gym, the temp had fallen at least 20 degrees and a cold rain was coming down like needles. I am very grateful to have made it home safely; the rain was coming in sheets and visibility was close to zero...........made it home by following the car lights in front of me. Kind of ruined the relaxation effect of the evening yoga
    where I fell asleep on the floor at the end, yep, dozed off right there.

Heading to bed early; g'nite all,
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: There are many places I go out to eat that have a chicken breast in something on the menu and tomatoes in their salads and a steamed vegetable as a side so I order a grilled chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, and the steamed vegetable. My meal is usually beautiful and always healthy. Tomorrow the line dance group is going to a Mexican restaurant and I’ll probably order something small with a side of pico de gallo, no sour cream or guacamole and stay away from the chips.

:bigsmile: We have beautiful weather---perfect for dog walking and working in the yard.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

My word for 2014 is “mindful”
    April Resolutions (with mid month comments)
    *add leg lifts with ankle weights to weight training (good for one day and no weight training since)
    *do weight training and yoga on alternate days(did great for a few days and now nothing)
    *don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good (that helped me relax about not doing yoga and weight training because of yard work and extra dancing)
    *work in the yard 30 minutes four days a week (awesome)

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: 25,000 steps today
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I am just going to say good-night and wish each of you sweet dreams!
    I will talk tomorrow
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Meg, Charlie always gets so mad when I try to see the other persons point of view. In saying that, your daughter must be hurting so much right now. She is disappointed in herself, betrayed by her boyfriend, maybe even a little upset with you that you could tell she was pregnant. Has she ever met some one who was adopted that makes her feel that way? Does she feel that she is abandoning her baby by giving it up for adoption? Give her a little bit of time, also she needs to get away from the scum bag that doesn't even want to talk to her. And she needs to make sure she is taking care of that precious little one no matter what the end result may be. And if it were me in her situation, I would need my Mom.

Supposed to be 28* in the morning! Yikes. It's the middle of April here in the midwest.

Kim, most restruant owners will accomodate a patrons request for grilling without marinating, light on the salt, etc, etc.

Joyce, Indiana
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Tonight my son dropped off daughter #1 at an elementary school on the other side of town for her Girl Scouts meeting while I took #2 to swim lessons, then #2 and I went to KFC to have supper with hubby. Then hubby took #2 back to their apartment while I went to the school to pick up #1. Confused yet? Well, when I got there, I found out that there had been no Girl Scout meeting! It had been cancelled! She was there for two hours for nothing! And the leader, who just happened to be there because her own daughter was in the science fair, said she did not have a phone number for either me or my son, and #1 does not know either number, so they had no way to notify anybody. She said my son did not go inside, he just dropped her off and left. He is on oxygen and it's hard to get in and out of the car, so I'm sure that's what he did, not knowing he was supposed to go in. Well, I KNOW she had all our phone numbers, because in filled out the form myself. Plus, she has texted my son in the past to tell him that other meetings were cancelled, but not this time. #1 has been in this troop for three months and has only been to one meeting because they are always cancelled! They are supposed to be meeting twice a month. This leader is so incredibly disorganized! I'm hoping my son will check into switching her to a different troop. And we are going to have intensive training on learning phone numbers! A 4th grader should be able to learn a phone number.

So, I was really panicked, thinking what could have happened. The leader stayed there for two hours till I got there to pick her up, thank goodness for that.

End of rant.

Night ladies!

Sylvia
  • kathrineb57
    kathrineb57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Beautiful Ladies, Well, I am finally home, after a 12+ hour day at work. Home in time to catch up my food diary, say hi, and say good night. Looking at another long day tomorrow.

Meg - I have experienced a similar situation a few years back. First, everyone was in a state of shock, mixed with fear. I really had no solutions, but was supportive to my loved ones. We went through the wrong decisions, the right decisions and the "I don't knows" together. And when baby girl was born, everyones life fell in place...... all surrounding this precious blessing. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Reba - giving you a shout, to say I am thinking of you. Keep up those walks, 10 minutes at a time, and have fun with that fitbit. Will send you a message soon.

13,952 steps today. All that walking in one building, geesh!

Be healthy and strong women.

Kathrine in Kansas
  • phillyb2013
    phillyb2013 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi all:
    I have returned to MFP after being away for awhile. Definitely need some support and motivation :smile:

Wishing you all a good nite:smile:
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to mark my place. Spent the last two days hauling and cleaning bricks. We had some cracks in the pillars on the porch and have a brick man working on it. I never knew bricks were so heavy!
    Have a good sleep.
    Sue in TX
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    Ok gals from Britain in Pleasanton California this is a Ploughman's Platter:

2 ounces of prosciutto
    2 ounces of Monterey Jack Cheese (a soft- but not spreadable- white cheese)
    2 ounces of Muenster cheese
    4 dried apricots
    2 dried kiwi slices
    4 slices of dried mango
    4 pieces of bread/cracker product - that tasted like communion wafer.

No self respecting Ploughman would recognize this!!! Yet it was good, 2 of us shared it as an appetizer and it worked just fine.
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sylvia :flowerforyou: Congrats on the smaller size. Yes the DGC can learn a couple of numbers by heart. We too had done it before abandoning our memories to mobile phones.
    Meg :heart: sorry to hear what you are dealing with. My heart goes out to you. Given all her past tantrums, its nice to see that in her hour of need she came back to mom and Dad.As you rightly say one day at a time.
    Barbie :drinker: so much of dancing, wonderful.
    Well have only skimmed through many many posts, so congrats :flowerforyou: to all victories and hugs:love: for all who need them.
    Anamika from Mumbai
    Plan on weights today and to increase my cardio I'll run on the treadmill, maybe follow Michelle's HIIT programme sprint, jog, walk
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

Blue skies here in London and my feet are barely touching the ground today as I'm that busy.

Just wanted to wish everyone peace and contentment.

Love to all.

Amanda x