WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Good evening dear ladies!!

Such an inspiration you all are to me!

I had a crazy week-end with healthy food and exercise going out the window. But, I found them this morning so today has been a much better one.

We are expected to have a hard freeze tonight - so much much concern about the wheat crop.
    If you all would like to add Kansas farmers to your prayers tonight we all would certainly appreciate it. We will not know for a while if there is damage or not - but it is really going to be touch and go with it.

My DSIL has cut my hair for years, so tomorrow I am heading her way. She lives 60 miles from us but it s always worth the trip to have her give me a hair cut. I usually go about every 4 weeks but we are into about 5.5 weeks. I am ready for my "lake" cut! She will also frost it for me as I have always liked it frosted - and so does DH.

I was hoping we would get to take the camper to the lake this week-end but with this freeze warning we decided to wait a few more days. We take it to a lake about 1 hour from us. It is city owned, and we love it. They allow campers to stay in the same spot all summer and we can have the same lot year after year. It is just great!! It is a small lake, but I still love being there.

I hope each of you have a great evening and a tremendous Tuesday. I will check in with you all tomorrow evening!!
    Reba in Kansas
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    *heavy sigh* Don't anyone call me grandma. We tried really hard to talk her into adoption. More later. meg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: This has been a super busy day today filled with dog walking, a visit to the chiropractor, work in the yard, and lots of riding my exercise bike while watching TV…..I’m ready to watch DWTS in a few minutes.

:bigsmile: Jake’s shoulder is feeling better and he was able to finish his yard mowing job today so our meals were “find it and fix it”……my big meal was scrambled eggs with sweet onions and frozen chopped spinach.

:flowerforyou: Riding the bike and working in the yard seem to be taking the time I would otherwise be doing yoga and strength training.

:heart: Meg, I hope you'll be supportive and encouraging to your daughter and stay in the moment.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    23,000 steps today
    “All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche
    :bigsmile: My word for 2014 is “mindful”
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Meg, I'm really sorry this is such a stressful time. I'm sorry I was joking. Let us know how things are going.

Sylvia
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Meg, sending hugs and prayers your way!
  • Deb23455
    Deb23455 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think we're getting your weather on Wednesday, just not as cold! Winter just needs to move on!
  • rlynnehawk
    rlynnehawk Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Would love to be involved! :flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Welcome to everyone new!

While we were eating dinner, I heard this rustling noise outside. At first I thought it was wind. But, no, it was raining (boo). It's supposed to get colder. And I was sitting out on the deck yesterday to get some sun so that I wouldn't have white legs. Now no one is going to see my work!....lol

Gail - Three miles in 45 minutes! Are you sure you weren't running????

Reba - how nice that you have a hairdresser in the family!

Meg - how can you do that to us?? Just give a one line and leave us wondering "is she pg" "is she thinking of getting pg" and lots of other scenarios.

Just got back from mahjongg. I only maj'd once. You know, we're going to have a pool social for the Newcomers probably in August. One gal already said she'd help us, tonight another gal said she'd help and she said that "you know that Beth will want to help too". Boy, we're going to have so much help that we're not going to know what to do with it all!

Better get to bed. Night all.

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    Meg - hang in; this could be a tough go - but if everyone listens and cares you will make it through. sending good thoughts your way.

Kim
  • kathrineb57
    kathrineb57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi to all, just popped in to say I had a great day at work. 12,202 steps, 8 cups of water, ate healthy all day and night. And contacted a griefshare group. Thank you, to the beautiful ladies who encouraged me to seek a grief support group. Will keep all posted on how that goes.

I joined my first MFP "Group"; 40 Week Challenge for Exercise. I thought this would help me include some strength training into my "journey" and kick up my cardio. Today was Day 1, OMG! lets say I am so glad I can laugh at myself. And that no one else was home with their smartphone (taking Pics).

I better close for now, another long day at work tomorrow. Everyone, all together now...... THINK SPRING!

Be Healthy and Strong Women.

Kathrine from Kansas

April goals:
    * to keep my food diary daily
    * to lose 5lbs
    * to focus on healthy breakfast recipes
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Just want to add my 'hang in there Meg' to the others. You are a strong woman, heck, you are a nurse so you have to be. Also us nurses sometimes hold our emotions in. You take all the time you need to to talk to us. I hope you are talking to some one though. I learned that the hard way. You also have to remember that just like in nursing, we can give all the advice and knowledge that we have but we can't make them use it the way we feel it should be.

Only 6 days until those pesky Cadbury mini eggs are off the self!!!!! But will some one come and take my box of Quacker oats granola and almonds away from me!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Meg.........Sending hugs; I can only imagine the horrendous shock you are feeling.

yanniejannie
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Meg:smile: Sending you lots of hugs:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: !!! I know you have a ton of different emotions going on right now:noway: :sad: :grumble: :ohwell: :frown: :angry::noway: ! You know we`ll be here for you!

Kim in N.CAL:smile: I can bring the family with me:happy: :laugh: ! I know your BBQ will be perfect:bigsmile: !

Barbie:smile: Glad Jake is doing better:flowerforyou: ! You are a busy woman:bigsmile: !!!

Michele:smile: I will ask SIL about granite cleaner sometime today:bigsmile: !

I slept for 7 1/2 hours last night:noway::yawn: , that`s almost unheard of for me! I guess I needed it:yawn: ! Time to get up and see if I can get to track or if it`s too wet, it doesn`t seem to be raining very hard at the moment, think I`ll go:bigsmile: !

Have a wonderful day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in rainy and cloudy and gray NC:ohwell:
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, hugs to all of you, Meg.

Michele, it was really fast -- I set the metronome on my phone and just kept up! Don't do that every time, though.

Gail, metro ATL
  • stow62
    stow62 Posts: 11
    Options
    Afternoon lovely ladies

Michelle, just a quick reply as boss in and in filthy mood as he's given up the *kitten* (cigarettes) I asked Abby re fixing twix to cake and she suggested a chocolate butter cream should fix it, mix equal amounts of butter to icing sugar (confectioners sugar) and two table spoons of coco powder or chocolate powder, not sure what the American equivalent is!!
    The mixture should be quite stiff to hold the twix's in place. Good luck xxx:happy:

Will pop back later, have to do actual work today:grumble:
  • stow62
    stow62 Posts: 11
    Options
    Meg sending massive hugs and support from England, hang in there:flowerforyou:
    Val London xxxx
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Gloria- I went through a total hysterectomy 18 months ago and am having a rough time losing excess weight! I work a very physically demanding job so its not because I'm not exercising. Inches are coming off but not the weight....what to do?

Sorry, just saw this. It's a mystery, it's a challenge, it's seemingly impossible but my best advice is to "just keep swimming".

I was on the treadmill after T25 today re-doing the math in my head and I think I might be eating back too many of my exercise calories. Closest as I've been able to figure over the past 4 years, 1,400-1,500 per day is where I need to stay just to maintain. I have myself on 1,200 here so if I'm eating back all my daily exercise calories then I'm only cutting about 200 per day, 1,400 per week. So, essentially, it would take a few weeks just to lose a pound with this dead metabolism.

Point is, work harder, keep trying.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good Tues morning everyone,

I had a fantastic weekend full of working in the garden, sowing seeds and getting other areas ready for planting. Glorious sunshine both days! Sunday was the first day of the year wearing shorts. Ahhh! :flowerforyou:

I regret to say I won't have time to write poems this week, as I'm up to my ears in planning for a student recital I'll be holding on Friday. There'll be 22 students performing, each one of them brings along their familes including aunts, uncles, grandmas, grandpas, cousins, brothers & sisters. I expect we'll have around 100 people in attendance, and will have refreshments in the lobby afterwards. I'll arrive early to set up my amplifiers and keyboard, microphones, stands, guitars, and of course I've forgotten something already, lol. This week at lessons we're having rehearsals...I accompany most of the students, making it more fun for them, as most don't like being up there on stage all alone. However, a few teenage students are venturing out on their own this time, actually wanting to perform solo. I've "brought up" some of these kids in music for well over 5 years, it's so exciting to see them become more confident as performers. I'm one proud teacher! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Oh Meg, your DD's "situation"...whew, I can only imagine. Be brave, my friend. :heart:

Congrats to those who have lost pounds this week! :drinker:

:smile: jb in cloudy Portland
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Deedee:drinker:

Welcome newcomers:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Katherine I went to a grief support group at my church yesterday. It started for those who lost spouses and now is open to anyone who is experiencing grief. Some of the points are there is no timetable for grief, what are comments you found helpful, not helpful and why, the ups and downs of the process of grieving, remembering the person both their strengths and weaknesses, and finding laughter in the tears. There is no right or wrong way to grieve. Your grief is unique unto you.

Sandy hope you are feeling better.:flowerforyou:

Rita hope back heals soon.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie know your frustration about water weight when you go out.

Sylvia going down a size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:flowerforyou: Hugs Jane

Meg your child’s pain is your pain. I feel that way about my son. I am trying to keep myself as healthy as I can be emotionally and physically so I am in a better place to help him, my family, and myself through this family crisis.

Mindy an inch off your waist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope knee recoups fast.

Gloria there is the saying Weddings and Funerals bring out the best and worst. Sorry the worst seems to be coming out at the moment.:flowerforyou:

Vicki the fuel pump went out in my car a few years ago. I learned it is best to not let your vehicle get less than a quarter tank if possible because it puts less stress on the fuel pump in the long run. I don’t always do it but I try.

Michele the leaves in this table were smaller. She has a total of five leaves to put in this table. She bought it at an auction. Her table cloth was custom made to fit. They had to take down a wall in their home to use it. They wanted to open up the space anyway.

Joyce ahh yes the feel and look of green grass. The sun is shining, the grass is growing all is right with the world.

My DH just pointed out we can celebrate tax day, the sinking of the Titanic, and the assassination of Lincoln all on the same day. You can tell he does have a dark sense of humor.

Almost missed that dance to frozen last night. I have never had a dance bring me to tears til I watched that dance. Sublime.

Goal:
    Today I will get out for a walk in the sunshine, so I wake up to a healthier tomorrow.

2014 word: Contentment
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Oh Meg. :heart: I just went through all 8 pages trying to figure out why everyone was sending you "good thoughts" and just found it right here on page 8.

xoxo

Gloria in Metro Detroit