WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Welcome newcomers:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Dee sounds like a great weekend. I understand that need for alone time too. Your kitchen will be stunning when complete.:drinker:

Patty thank you for your prayers about our son. I had lunch with him yesterday and was proud of him that he took such care with his appearance and was willing to go. He could have just wanted to spend the whole time in bed. I hope things work out with Joe for your DS. True love can be such a healing balm. Great image Make a Ripple Make a Wave. For sleeping tart cherry juice within an hour of bedtime can help too. It contains melatonin naturally.

Alison great job getting to the gym. You have enough going on in your life wish you didn’t have to deal with the staff.

Heather must confess I have never had squid stew.

Amanda x hope your sale went well.

KIm love bargains!

Katherine so sorry about your spouse. :flowerforyou:

Michelle love that image of one big kitchen table. The family that had us last night for the Noah discussion had room for sixteen. Biggest table I have ever sat. Except for this one.

Renny inspiring me to get at those closets of mine.

Joyce the joys and frustrations of computers.

Sylvia hope DH recovers quickly. Cute joke.

Thinking about my sister. About six months after her death I had a healing dream where she was sitting calmly. She was never one to sit calmly. She was looking out into a dense green wood. She loved spending time in the woods. I felt her spirit at peace. I think she finally understood what my greatest hope for her in her trial was that she healed. She became so caught up in her fight to live understandably so that the calmness of the woods became distant. I am glad she found it again.

Today I will contemplate my own reactions to loss in order to find healing, so I wake up to a healthier tomorrow.

2014 word: contentment

:heart:
    Margaret
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

It is cold and windy in Oklahoma today after a stormy Sunday afternoon. I think I am on a plateau now, no change in my weight for the last two weeks. I think I have to stop sharing dessert with Hubby when we go out. He likes to order dessert, but he doesn't need to lose any more weight.....:grumble:

Amanda, cheese and fig pie sounds yummy!

DeeDee, Yay! Choosing the countertop made choosing the rest of the colors easier for me. Hopefully the budget holds out. :flowerforyou:

Michele, thanks again for the hulled barley inspiration. I am cooking it regularly now.

Hugs to everyone with wishes for great week!

Cindy in OK
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Margaret,

Thank you for sharing the dream about your sister. I think we all are dealing with grief on some level. Hearing about healing stories bring me such peace and I'm sure bring peace to others as well. :flowerforyou:

Cindy in OK
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morn all. Was 73* at 6am.Rain now with falling temp & flurries tomorrow.Spring is splendid :grumble:
    Carol in Nc,your recipes sound great.LOL at getting boy child awake.My bro lived with us when we were 1st married,he was 17 & the only way I got him moving was to pull off his covers.He wasn't happy:huh: but it worked!

Renny,I love Anne Rule books too. You can tell she does a lot of research.

The talk about Mothers brings my MIL to mind.She was nice to me,but after a couple yrs married,DH started telling me he was the unflavored child out of 4 in the family.She would hit him,throw things at him etc.Didn't happen when his Dad was there,but FIL worked 2-3 jobs all his life.He was/is DH's hero & a truly good person.
    His Bro & 2 sisters never mentioned this......maybe thinking the same as DH did as "that's just the way it was'.Dh has a scar beside an eyebrow from when MIL threw a saucer at him.One thing for sure,it made him very appreciative for anything our family says/does for him.Both of his sisters died early. She asked DH to oversee her finances,then POA.......saying "I know I can trust you". Life can be a puzzle:grumble:

Meg,good luck with DD's info.The waiting can be worse than the info! DH used to tell our DDs & Grdaughter ....."no surprises":ohwell:

Margaret,know it helped to see your son & have lunch with him.Good thoughts for him & you.They are always our children,regardless of age.

Tere,all the food sounds good.I usually plan meals according to plans of being away or being home.DH has a Drs appt tomor which means lunch out,so cereal or ? later.It took me mos to get in the groove of when/ what to eat.For too long,it was always on my mind.Now I plan supper only. Might eat brfast or not. Lunch is a cold cut swich,cottage cheese or LF chips on the side.No need to plan those.Dinner is small protein,salad,veggie,rarely a starch. Boring,but it works.I save Calories for a dessert if we have any,otherwise yogurt,small ice cream will do.

Eye Dr appt was Friday for glasses.This is a new Dr because we moved here about 16 mos ago. He was fine,but started telling me I need a Laser
    procedure. Said after cataract surgery,clear fluid will often turn cloudy.Takes 2 times,3 wks apart.Chewed it over,decided to go back to surgeon who did the cataracts for 2 nd opinion. That comes from not really trusting Dr I don't know.....plus both DDs think 2 nd opinion is best.Of course,my decision was made before I told them.Has anyone had this done?

Welcome to the newbies. Tell us more.Is this your 1 st try at eating healthy? Where do you live? Are you working? Feel free to ask for advice.There will be someone willing to help. Time to get dressed & plan supper...... Pat in Ohio
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    The scale was a little nicer to me this morning. It had been stuck since March 26th.

I'm dealing with some mental issues at the moment. For a while, especially when I hit 90 to 100 pounds lost, I was feeling downright skinny. I really enjoyed that feeling, and felt good when people commented on it. It felt real. I felt like dancing! Every morning when I got up I felt good about myself. But the last week or so I've been feeling really fat again. The weight is the same, I'm not bloated or carrying water, my tiny size 20 jeans are baggier than ever, so what changed? I know it's all in my head. The only thing I can think of is that I'm not getting as much exercise lately. And there has been a long plateau. So, I'm determined to get really busy working out again. I really want to get that feeling back. And getting smaller jeans is a must! Baggy jeans add to the frumpy feeling.

Hubby is calling in sick today because of his back. It's only the third time he's missed a day in the 20 years I've known him. I wish he would go to the doctor. He said he thinks it would help his back to lose a few pounds, and it know that's true, but he's not going to do that on the couch eating moon pies.

Well, I'd better get busy. Have a great day everybody!

Sylvia
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies,

Haven't had a chance to read back yet. Fell off the wagon a bit over the weekend with my food logging, etc. I didn't make terrible choices but it was quite a stressful weekend. My mom's younger sister passed suddenly due to a fall. Long story but, bottom line, she was one of her closer sisters and is out in California. There are family members who are behaving HORRIBLY toward her live in fiancee over Facebook. It's a nightmare. My stepfather is planning to fly out for the funeral and represent since I can't take Aaron or leave him.

It's a new day, new week, etc. Just finished my morning workout of T24 (week 4 of alpha) and some treadmill time.

Need to shower and get some work done, all the time hoping we don't lose power due to these 60 mph winds we have right now. It was 70 degrees when I woke up and it's supposed to snow tonight:ohwell:

Hope everyone is well. Will try to get back at lunchtime to do some reading.

xoxo- Gloria in blustery Metro Detroit
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Gloria: your plate has certainly been full the last weeks/months. So sorry. :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: The only way I can think of to get the Twix stuck to the side of a cake is frosting. Definitely not going to be a low calorie solution.:noway: :flowerforyou:

Heather: I’ve used nasturtium flowers in salads. They’re very colorful and also peppery. I prefer violet/pansy blossoms. I do not take anti-anxiety medicine although I now have a prescription available if it becomes necessary. Thanks for the British Museum tip for Vikings Life and Legend. It sounds interesting. Easter hugs to you. We had nothing/nobody at Christmas. It is hard to be on your own during holidays when families traditionally gather. :cry: :flowerforyou:

Lin in Central Iowa: Welcome back!:flowerforyou:

Tere: 2.4 pounds this week! Wow!:drinker: :bigsmile:

Sylvia: Sorry to hear about DH’s back. I hope he’s feeling better soon. It is nice to have an acquaintance notice that you’re looking good. You deserve compliments. It is rare that a person decides to improve her own health and manages to lose more than 100 pounds. You’re a champion in my opinion.:flowerforyou:

Milmomto2: Congratulations on the lost inches. NSV’s like that are spectacular. Weight comes off in it’s own sweet time. Exercise, log your food and count your calories. The weight will eventually come down.:flowerforyou:

Sandy: Sadly, I’ve never been able to motivate my kids to do anything until they are ready and want to do it for themselves. Leading by example is a good plan. Being honest with myself, no one could motivate me until I was ready to change, either.:noway: :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Renny: Two and a half bags of clothes to donate! WTG! What a lovely NSV. I have never been willing to put bling on my behind and congratulate you on the confidence it takes to do so.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: Your lunch of chicken in salad sounds wonderful. I need to cook a chicken!:flowerforyou:

Meg: Your DD has obviously done something she is worried about. I hope she’ll keep her courage and come to you. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: Your computer woes sound frustrating. I hope you get things back in order soon.:flowerforyou:

Margaretturk: I taught US history, and we began our studies in the ice age. There is plenty of evidence that the Vikings did reach North America long before Columbus went to Hispanolia. They did far less damage to the local populations than the Spanish Conquistadores, so I’m hard-pressed to find them more brutal than other Europeans. Brutal, yes. More brutal, no. It was a brutal time.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Michele: I know that the streak reporting feels harsh when it demotes people back to zero for missing one day. :mad: I think we should suggest that they report streaks and total days of logging as separate items. I haven’t missed any days because I use my phone to do all my recording and always have it with me AND I haven’t left the US since I started this. How did it handle your trip to Europe?:flowerforyou:

Flodoe: Welcome to you and other newbies. We’ve lost quite a bunch of weight as a group! It hasn’t been fast or easy for anyone that I know of, but it is reliable way to get healthier for the persistent ones.:flowerforyou:

Kim in N. CA: Your Easter plans sound elaborate and wonderful. I hope you get responses from those who received an evite. That way you’ll have a clue how much to prepare.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: 1,000 posts! You are a fabulous role model. Congratulations!!!:smokin: :flowerforyou:

Sorry to those I missed. I’m out of time. We’re do have Easter plans this year. We’ve been invited to go to DS and DDIL’s home. I look forward to seeing them. I need to call and find out what we can bring. I also need to get an Easter gift off to DGD!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training when able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: Pay attention to water intake and drink frequently during the day.
  • stow62
    stow62 Posts: 11
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies

Thank goodness the boss isn't in today, it's taken me till now to read all the weekend posts. My DD and I went to the International cake show on Sat and we managed to spend a fortune as you do!! She's in the process of setting up her own website to advertise her cake baking company, will forward the www. info and you can all see them. Got home and the DH had cooked chicken curry, rice and a spinach dish all delicious, there's no way I can work out the calories in his cooking!! Sunday it was the London Marathon I had 2 friends running its the most amazing site ever watching all the charity runners it always makes me emotional when I see them all. Maybe cause I know there's no way I'd run 26.2 miles!!! Came home to roast beef, roast new potatoes and a massive cauliflower, courgette, tender stem broccoli in a cheesy white sauce, what an extravaganza of a meal!! Gave up and had a few wines, Oh and my DD made chocolate, orange trifle as desert. Starting again today, with my MFP, weekends are hopeless! Dreading Easter as DH is on cooking duty and we're going away for 5 days!

Gloria so sorry your hurting, my wonderful mum died when I was 22 and still miss her terribly, one of my friends gave me a small hand bagged sized photo album and said to fill it will all my favourite pictures of my mum and when I'm having difficult to get through day to get the album out and remember all the good times we had together, it really helped, might help you too.:flowerforyou:

Well done everyone on loosing this week.:bigsmile:

time for home, catch up tomorrow have a great evening everyone Val from Sunny London England:drinker:
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Well lost .5 lbs this week, and blood sugars are still great, avg of 102.

Meg- I'm on pins and needles waiting to find out too.

I'm cleaning my house today, what a chore, but it needs to get done. So back to work.

Tigress in GA
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Sandy,often times DDs are like DM. What caused you to start eating healthy? Maybe it will work the same way for her? I was normal size while our 2 DDs were growing up.When the oldest went on to school,then got her own apt after graduating,the pds poured on.

She was buying lots of goodies,cooking for friends etc.She turned into a great cook,going to classes for it.Her interest in food
    was a big part of her life.

About 5 yrs ago,she joined WW. Why? Who knows,but it worked because she was determined that it would.She has been a leader for the last 3 yrs,walks a lot & so far has kept it off.

It's no thanks to me,cause she was a grown woman living her own life.Wt was never mentioned between us. only a " looking great!". I don't think there is a "one size fits all" answer to wt loss.It's a long,hard earned lesson for most.
    Keep going. She notices more than she says. JMO. Pat in Ohio
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,842 Member
    Options
    Worked out this morning but not very well. My back is bothering me terribly. :sad: I broke down and called a chiropractor and have an appointment later today. This one does acupuncture too, so I do hope she can releive the pain so I can get back to a somewhat normal like. :ohwell: Not sleeping well because of pain is, I think, contributing to my down mood of late. So, time to break out the Doctors and see what we can do. b:wink: She is a wholeistic (SP?) type Chiro so I hope we form a great relationship and I feel better.

Went up a couple pounds :mad: but I know it is mostly water. Too much salt over the weekend. We had a beautiful weekend here in CT but I didn't get to walk or work in the yard. (probably for the best because of my back). My DH decided to scan the local stores for a knee brace. :huh: I keep telling him to go to the DR and get a good one, but he is *cheap* and doesn't want to pay for one. v:explode: I told him his insurance would cover it, but no....:angry:

My April goals are not going so well. :ohwell:

Week 2: steps average: 6735 Curves 4 times ( Friday off due to pain and lack of sleep) – weight the same – back problems

I am putting a lot of hope into the Chiro. The one in TN helped me a lot, I hope the same goes for this one.v:smile:

ps... My last post was on page 2! What a chatty bunch over the weekend!

Rita from FINALLY Spring CT! :flowerforyou:
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday morning.:happy: Well it was an interesting weekend. We had our 5 year old GD for the first time and it went well. She was happy to get to visit with her cousins that live around here. We went to the church on Saturday and did the Easter egg hunt and party. Then we went and had pictures taken with the Easter bunny. In the afternoon went to Hastings to a Motorcycle show. DH rode his over as was almost 80 here. Then yesterday when we get up it is rainning and by the time we came out of church it was sleet. So we take off for Lincoln to meet DD to pickup GD. Acouple times I thought we were not going to make it and would have to stop for the night. But just outside of Lincoln it was dry. So then we head home and hit white outs and lots of sleet and wind. Then 12 miles from home the car just stops. DH thinks the fuel pump went out. So I called our insurance 800 number as we have roadside service. The lady answering checks and says not on that car. Now this is the only car we own. But what can I do on a Sunday night. DH calls a tow company and gets the car pulled to the shop. DS comes out and takes me home. Thhis morning I call our local insurance office and am told it was a oversite on their part and if I bring the tow bill in they will pay us back. By the time we got home last evening I was pretty stressed.
    So today is a new day and I did not even think about over eating last night. Surprised myself when I thought of the fact this morning. Thanks for listening.

Meg--Sounds like you had a nice visit with Jill. I agree she should be proud of the award. I would enjoy meeting you also. Good news on the test. Hope the rest of it goes well.

Barbie--That sounds so fun and how great of you to help make the day special for the couple. I love those books by JoAnn and the baker gets into some interesting things. Makes for good reading.

Eileen--Hugs:heart:

Heather--I agree time spent with the grandbabies is for making memories. I do enjoy watching DH with them. Saturday at the church Easter party I was up dancing with the DGC and DH said later that I looked like I was having fun, and I said last year I would of been sitting on the sideline. Hugs to DSIL on her loss.:flowerforyou:

Carol--sounds so good!

Joyce--thanks for something to think about.

Kathrine--hugs:heart:

Sylvia--hope DH back feels better soon. I have had back problems for years and done the shots and PT. Best thing I ever did was listen to DH and go to chiropractor and long as I go every month I have had no pain and can walk and sleep in bed.

Gloria--sorry for your lost. Death brings out the worst in some people.:flowerforyou:

Well I need to get busy and get some things done around the house a back to work tomorrow. I work Easter weekend so no big plans. DS that went to CO for trucking school several weeks ago is on the bus coming home today. I am glad as do not think it is good for him or his family. But he had to figure it out on his own.
    Blessed! Vicki in cold GI NE
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    WOW, Monday afternooon already!!! Skipped a couple days reading and it took me over an hour to catch up. Ladies exercise session this am with weights. On Friday evening, made it through Chili's with a cup of soup and a small steak w/broccoli............it is still my absolute least liked place to eat----they even salted the broccoli, swear I could feel my fingers swelling---nope, nope not ever going there again!!!!

Kim.........Your Springstein report: Simply awesome, the man has not lost a step!!!!.............no opening act, they played three and a half solid hours non-stop...........started at 7:10 and finished at 10:40. It was beyond great and I'm soooooo happy I went, thanks to everyone who gave me encouragement. Spent the entire time on my feet dancing and singing!!! Thrilled to report that I wasn't nearly as sore the next day as I thought I'd be. He even did a special shout out to our local beach music scene, had several people join him on stage, allowed the crowd to "surf" him around on their up stretched arms (no, I wasn't close enough to touch!!!).............more than worth the price of admission. Drummer (Max Weinburg) was especially awesome as was sax player Jake Clemons, nephew of the late, great Clarence. I do love a good sax player and percussionist!

Then we lost the car and got caught in gridlock and didn't get Cheryl back to where we parked hers until 12:30............and I had the gym breakfast on Sunday morning followed a few hours later by a birthday party I had to attend...............so, I have been dragging as far as sleep goes.

Starting to feel a bit back to normal. Have read and wish everyone well!

Nap time,
    yanniejannie
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Ok girls, I found the cure for my feeling-fat blues! I'm sitting here in my brand new size SIXTEEN jeans. I'm never taking them off! I got a new pair of size 16/18 pajamas too, so my old baggy ones are going into the donate tub. When I came out of the Y this morning it was snowing! HARD! I couldn't believe it. Yesterday it was 80 degrees. Good grief!

Here is the joke of the day:

:happy:

Two kids were deciding what game to play. One said, “Let’s play doctor.”

“Good idea,” said the other. “You operate, and I’ll sue.”

:laugh:

Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good grief!!! Springsteen, not Springstein!!! LOL!! Sorry to all the other fans out there.

Sylvia..............YAY for your size 16's
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    Options
    Pat in Ohio thank you for your kind thoughts.

Katla I agree with you about the Vikings. They were feared like many of the other invading groups of their day. No more of less brutal. Berserkers were what they called. Any warrior in battle is fearsome. I just have an interest in the history of words too.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yay Sylvia!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Heather - When more of the kids were small I would have 40:laugh: and 15 or more under 10 years old for easter egg hunts I did egg hunts for the little kids and clues with prizes for older kids… it is always been a BBQ type event, and very few family; all friends and their families – I have one friend that I only see on easter because her mom loves coming so much – But if you have nothing going; why don’t you come on over!:love:

Alison, we did miss you! Sorry to hear DFIL is having girl friend troubles!

DeeDee – Great , love to have you!!! the festivities start at 2:30pm and go until folks leave. How many additional should I count on? Read farther in your post and you are going to your daughter and families:laugh: …. You were teasing me!!!:laugh:

Sylvia – take care of you! I was reading an article about taking breaks when you have a lot of weight to lose for both your body and mind to get used to the new you – it did not say this but I think it meant going to a maintenance mode –not a break back to bad habits – and then to lose the next chunk. Maybe your body is just taking a breather. :ohwell:
    LATER: CONGRATS on new small jeans!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Gloria - My thoughts are with you.

Tigress – congrats on weight loss.:smile:

Rita – sorry to hear of the aching back!

Vicki – I think the not over eating or even thinking about it in that stressful time is a NSV!!!!:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie – oh thank you for the report I am so envious I think I need to start saving for when he comes to CA again… 3 and a half hours … wow! No matter how creative the spelling he’s still the boss! :love: :love:

Busy morning of walking and sewing... taking a lunch break and then back at it. Have a good rest of the day:smile:
    Kim in sunny N. CAL
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon.:flowerforyou: javascript:add_smiley('flowerforyou','post_body')
    It`s cold again,dreary,rainy and 40.Gonna burn calories inside today.
    Pt tomorrow,a little nervous.I went to the same dr for pt since 2005.Due to Insurance have to go somewhere new.
    Hugs:heart::heart:
    jane