WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all of you bright ladies!

I am just saying good morning and to tell you that I will "see" you tonight.
    I pray each of you have a great day! :flowerforyou:

Reba
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies,

Meg, many hugs and prayers.

Reba, prayers for your wheat crop.

Michele, found another recipe using hulled barley. It is Black Bean and Barley salad. I saw several versions online so just used what I had for added veggies. Very good and quick.

Hugs to all struggling with grief.

Congratulations to all with victories.

I want to let you know about a great book I am reading. It is called Prototype. It is about us being God's beloved. Very powerful book. It tells about how Jesus never questioned that He was loved by God and our trouble is that we doubt it.

My new recipe this week is Black Forest Baked Oarmeal. I know some don't care for oatmeal. I was surprised that the texture resembles more of a bread pudding after baking, this was how the Baked Apple Crisp Oatmeal turned out. We will see with the Black Forest recipe. But have to work out and clean house first.

Have a wonderful day,

Cindy in OK
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    Meg - don't forget compassion for yourself as well.:love::love: :love: :heart:

Nice yoga morning with my friend and a coffee and a natter afterwards. Then WATERING the garden,:sad: :sad: :sad: We are metered here so don't use a hose, only watering cans from the butts. :sad: Good for calories though!:bigsmile:

Then made turkey burgers for dinner. I will cook all six, have two each tonight and have one each tomorrow when we get back from London in a ciabatta with salad. DH likes his with mango chutney and I have chilli sauce.:laugh:

Thoughts and love to those out in Kansas and Oklahoma who are having freezing weather. I very much hope your crops don't suffer. We are going to bring our potted dahlia in tonight as temps may drop with the clear skies. We have masses of ants in the lawn and under the patio and they are coming in to the kitchen. We've bought bait traps so I hope things will improve, but it's a big problem in dry weather.:ohwell: I have put beer out for the slugs that were eating my salad and it seems to be succesful. DH is sweeping the patio and has cut the grass. Soon we should be able to relax out there!:laugh:

Cindy and Michele - with travel insurance you have to make a medical declaration if you have had any medicsl treatment recently. Any diabetes, blood pressure, breathing problems, heart, cancer, anxiety etc all count. As I had antibiotics from the hospital for my mastitis that is against me. And so the costs mount. They won't insure my knee. If you don't declare these things then even if you fall ill with something unrelated they fight the claim and if they can prove it was a prexisting condition then good luck with claiming anything. Better safe than sorry I say, but the NYC one was sooooooo expensive for just a week. I will check out some other providers.

Michele - I agree with the butter icing suggestion.

Looking forward to the Vikings tomorrow. And seeing my friend. As we won't have time for exercise in the morning I hope we will have time to walk from the British Museum to Waterloo Station to get the train home. It depends on how long the exhibition takes as we hate travelling in the rush hour.:noway: :grumble:
    Amanda - your walk through St James' s Park sounds wonderful. We will be crossing Hungerford Bridge, which is a pedestrian bridge, which, as you know, has a lovely view of the Thames. The weather is supposed to be lovely. :love:

OK ladies. Keep on keeping on. Log, log, log. Move, move move. If you don't use it you lose it. My yoga partner today is 70 and is amazing for her age. Never surrender! ! ! :laugh:

Heather in glorious, sunny and leafy Hampshire UK
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Meg,it seems life is forever changing & not in ways we choose,but take a deep breath ,then one day at a time.That is the most any of us can do.Hugs & prayers surrounding you. Pat in Ohio
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Well our spring was short lived just came in from a walk in the lovely blowing snow again:grumble:
    Congradulations going out to all our ladies going down in inches and pounds and sizes yay for you:drinker:
    Meg thoughts and prayers going out to you stay strong:heart:
    Prayers for all going through rough times life can be challenging in so many ways

Well back to work shovelling off the walkway yet again guess we will never get it put awawy this yr

Juanita in sudbury
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bump - on last day of a 6 week marking deluge; and just as I changed my picture to lovely tulips - it snows. ha. Mother Earth has a weird sense of humour.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: This is a burden for your family and will affect all of you. I pray that it will eventually become a blessing for all of you. Hugs.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I’m glad to hear that Jake is doing better. I like bike riding better than most exercises but never want to give up yoga. It has done a lot to help me strengthen my bad knee.:flowerforyou:

JB: Have a great “recital/concert.” Stop in when you can.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Your water must be fairly expensive. We’re metered, too, but don’t have extensive gardens since this is a townhouse. I have always used drip irrigation, even when I had a big vegetable garden. Now it is both drip and on an automated timer so that things get watered even when I’m not home.:flowerforyou:

Juanita: Snow in April is a bit daunting. Stay warm.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

I was able to see the beginnings of the lunar eclipse from my house yesterday, but couldn’t see the fully covered moon. I don’t know whether it slid over the horizon or there was a cloud cover. I did see photos on NASA TV. If the moon is reflecting our atmosphere we need to do a LOT more to cleanup our air. :tongue: :flowerforyou:

Good luck and blessings to all.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training when able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: Pay attention to water intake and drink frequently during the day.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    Kathrine - I think we are all glad at times that NO ONE can see the things we do!

JB – how cool for those students; and what a ton of work for you – the behind the scenes is always the biggest job. Have a great week.

Meg - with everyone else sending you care, strength, and understanding...

Have a good day everyone, I have a busy one planned, gardening at a friends in the am, embroidery in the afternoon, and out for a drink with a gal friend this evening (it was Her b-day over the weekend so we are celebrating) I made the Penne with Pumpkin Sauce for dinner last night; and it was fine - but needs some zip! The recipe said 4 servings - but they would have been mammoth servings - so I'll get six servings out of it... may be eating it all week.! But the nice thing was it was only 207 calories ! I got to have a sweet :wink:

Better run!
    Smiles Kim in N. Cal
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hugs, Meg. Stay strong and take care of yourself too. :heart:

I posted a picture from the awards dinner on my page - don't have a clue how to post it here. I'm the one in the silver jacket. :blushing:

On my way home,
    Jill in western MA
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    I would suggest that Mother Nature go in for a medication change. She's lost her mind! Yesterday morning it was 70 degrees at 6am (crazy warm) and this morning it was 25 degrees and snow on the ground. The big news on TV was that we broke the record for the snowiest season ever recorded. WHAT-ever. I just gasp every time I look out the window!

Anyhow, I've been "blurting" this morning but never actually said "good morning" to everyone.

Did my T25 and some treadmill. Trying to knock a few things of my VERY long list. My grumbling tummy is telling me to go get some lunch.

Hoping the craziness is settling down in California. I was hearing of "separate funerals" yesterday. WHO DOES THAT???? I tried, just a little, to gently talk a couple of the primary players down and hope it helped. All I can do....and hope.

Happy day to all!

Gloria in COLD AS *kitten* Metro Detroit
  • stow62
    stow62 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm back the boss has left Yea.....

Heather have you checked with your bank regarding holiday insurance? With our bank account at Lloyds we get Holiday Insurance cover, AA car breakdown cover and other incentives as part of the bank account package. If your bank doesn't offer these then you could try Insure and Go, I use this company when booking my bosses holidays as he a diabetic with high blood pressure and his wife has high blood pressure etc. They've always been very competitive with their prices.:happy:

Congratulations to Sylvia bet your look great in your new jeans, that's such a great feeling when you drop a few dress sizes:happy:

Great news on your back Rita:flowerforyou: , I fell down our back stairs a few years ago and could barely walk the pain was excruciating , my DH took me to a local osteopath who worked wonders and within a few hours I was walking again, such a relief!

Amanda how lovely to walk through St James park especially at this time of year when all the blossom is out, my nearest is Soho Square and you certainly DON'T WANT TO WALK THROUGH THERE!!

Barbie, I loved your story about the wedding. Hope your friends getting better, must have been a dreadful scare ending up in ICU.

Brenda well done on the running, that's a really impressive time.:bigsmile:

Margaret what a wonderful gesture to buy your son's home, I hope things will get better for him. I'm not sure how it works in America but over here you can get a buy to let mortgage. My cousin has just had to buy her DD's house and is renting it back to her not for profit just to cover the mortgage.

Kayzoola - Lola seems to be getting more and more cheeky and there are no signs of her slowing down, it's more the reverse the older she's getting:laugh:

Barb in Eastern W.V. our local council has set up FREE fitness classes in our local parks, so we can all attend a fitness class for free, they are rolling out this scheme in our local borough E17 (I think it's cause we are the most obese and a huge drain on our local NHS that's the national health service:blushing: ) and if it catches on then they'll try it in other boroughs, my DD and I have been going and it's really good, tonight we have box fit they even supply the gloves and pads!!:bigsmile:

The dilemmas of eating out:grumble: If I know where I'm going then I like to go to the restaurant website before hand and check out the menu then work out what I can eat or not!, if you type into MFP the restaurant or type of meals they serve then the food or alternative usually comes up, ie Prezzo Pizza Restaurant I managed find the food I wanted to order and add it to my daily calories, it might work for you ladies who have dilemmas eating out. Failing that, if you've got a cast iron will and determination not to eat the wrong foods, eat before you leave then just order house salad and tell your friends your not that hungry! OK sometimes it works for me sometimes not, all depends on the time of the month and who I'm out with:drinker:

Cindy, we also have a desert/cake called Black Forest Gateaux it was a hit back in the 1970's, my mum used to make it on special occasions when we were kids, but it's a wickedly sinful affair, it's usually a 4 layer chocolate cake, each layer is smothered in thick cream and dark tinned cherries in a heavy juice it's topped with cream and cherries and grated chocolate, you just want to head dive into it, it's so yummy. Anyway after that reminiscence let me know how your's turns out I have a real sweet tooth, wonder why:bigsmile:

Ok time for home, have a great night ladies:flowerforyou:
    Val, London UK
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi Meg, I don't feel comfortable saying "it's terrible" or "it's good"; the only people who can call that are the people directly involved. But I do send you hugs, because I see you're a bit stunned. :smile: :flowerforyou:
    Hope today will bring you good things!

Cynthia
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Meg - I hope & pray for the right answer for you & your family. Whatever happens, whatever decision is made, I know you will handle it. You are a wise woman who loves her children. Please don't forget about you through all this.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    Val - I want to say a HUGE thankyou for putting me in touch with Insure and Go. WOW! I got a whole year's insurance, worldwide, for just twice the price of our week in France and half the cost of our week in NYC! ! ! ! ! ! I got straight on the phone and cancelled the other insurance! Plus they answered the phone in 30 seconds instead of leaving me hanging for 15 mins.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you soooooo much!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!

I don't know what is going on with me this week...I've been feeling a little down in the dumps:indifferent: I am tired and bloated - perhaps its the monthly hormone change (I had a partial hysterectomy 20+ years ago). I am trying out some Yogi Berry Detox tea that I hope will help.:drinker:

So of course I went shopping which added to my feeling worse because I have not conquered by mental concept of what size I wear or my negative self image. So after shopping for an hour or so in the 18-20W racks and feeling like everything I put on made me look like I was wearing a flour sack I finally listened to my DD and SO speaking in my head and headed over to the 14-16 and XLs where I was supposed to be! I did put a couple of pieces in layaway for the summer including one size L! Whoowhooo! I remember wearing a size 22W everyday for years!:smile:

I made myself get to the gym this morning cause I thought it might make me feel better and it did!:wink:

I am a little teed off with my DD's parenting skills::mad: : and just trying to find a way to have a calm little chat with her.

Work has been hectic to say the least. I thought I would take next Friday off, but my alternate team member just advised me that he was taking all of next week off - without saying one word to me!:explode: So much for team work!

Now that I have ranted to you I feel much better! Thanks for listening!:flowerforyou:

Tere
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Good Morning from Nebraska where we are not sure what season we are in. To got up to 60 today with some rain. Still have some snow on the ground from Sunday. Got our car back last evening. It was some mapping sesor that went bad. Glad that is it fixed and did not cost as much as I was afraid of. :wink: Called the insurance company yesterday about our road side service and she said it was an over site on their part and to bring in the tow bill and they will pay us back and that they have it fixed now on their records. Today was weigh in day and I lost 4.6 pounds:love: so lost what I gained last week. Happy about that.
    In this mornings paper they have the line up for the State Fair this year. On Wednesdays during the fair they have Older Nebraskans Day and prices and things are set for older people. Anyway the performer for that day is BJ Thomas. Boy! that make me feel really old.:sad:

Yanniejannie--sounds like the concert was wounderful. Glad to hear. I do enjoy live concerts.:wink:

Sylvia--congrates on your NSV.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Meg--Hugs and remember God is in control. When our DGD first told us she was having a baby I prayed alot about it and had to leave it in God's hands. And I just kept repeating--All Babies are a gift from God.:heart:

jb--sounds like a busy day.

Cindy--That oatmeal sounds interesting what is all in it? I eat oatmeal several times a week and a change would be nice.

Doesn't seem to be warming up much outside. I am working a 12 hour shift today so guess it doesn't matter. Three ladies that I have worked with over the last 20 years and I have formed a group we call the gang. Tonight we are going out for supper. One of the ladies had some major surgery last month and needs to get out acouple hours. Looking forward to some girl time.
    Well everyone have a special afternoon and remember we are in this together.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hugs, Meg. Stay strong and take care of yourself too. :heart:

I posted a picture from the awards dinner on my page - don't have a clue how to post it here. I'm the one in the silver jacket. :blushing:

On my way home,
    Jill in western MA

Lovely awards photo. Thanks for sharing. I always share photos the same way. Haven't got the desire to go to the webstie that makes photos postable, and don't even remember its name right now.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!

Buckets of rain here earlier; apppears to be clearing a bit now. Gorgeous moon last night.........something they called a "blood moon". Found another huge shed snakeskin in the yard yesterday.........yuck!

On the mom discussion: we were oil and water for all of my growing up, a complete power struggle (used to dream that my parents would get divorced!!!!), things were better when I was an adult, but, still, nobody could push my buttons like mom. When dementia appeared, I brought her down to live with me but never would have been able to do this had she retained her personality...........she became very placid and I was finally able to unreservedly love her........the catch in this is that she didn't have a clue who I was. On the day she told a dr. that she never had any children, I swear I felt my heart just spasm.

Condolences to those with fresh snow, guess my rain isn't too bad after all.

Heather .........Glad you got the insurance issue resolved; and especially nice it was with the help of one from our thread!!

Tai chi and yoga later. Ladies exercise tomorrow. A friend called earlier, wanted me to run off to the mall with her for the day but I declined, just don't feel like it.

Vicki............Good news on your car! Right now I'm dealing with a cracked windshield on the Camry my DD has at college. Of course she has NO idea what happened. I'm getting pretty good at getting service done long distance!!! It does help that everyone out there has been so nice and helpful.

Tere..........Congrats on the size L!!!!!

Best to everyone!
    yanniejannie
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: I had lots of reading to do to catch up, very busy weekend. We had rehearsal for our cantata on Saturday afternoon that lasted three hours then came home briefly, changed and went to the SD Symphony's "St. John's Passion and sat for another two and one-half hours on a church pew. By Sunday morning my back was bothering me and continued to get worse all day as we sang at church and then at the cantata in the afternoon. It went really well though. Yesterday I went to the chiropractor and have done some stretching and very short walks but I am really stiff. Hope things improve soon. DH has to go in early tomorrow for EGD with dilation and I know sitting at the hospital will not help. I met my goal of 8000 steps per day the first week of this month but not last week and I suspect I won't make it this week either.

Meg - thoughts and prayers to you. I am sure you have more concerns than just the fact that she is pregnant. Wishing the best for all concerned.

Tere and Sylvia - WooHoo!!! on new smaller sizes.

Joyce - I am with you on the Cadbury eggs especially the dark chocolate ones. The sooner they disappear the better.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD