Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,048 Member
    Options
    Happy April,

Deedee:drinker:

Alison great rest!

Yanniejannie continued prayers for Gwen.

Jill thanks for the to help in making suggestions to stop and to think before making a poor choice for our bodies.

Heather sorry about the frustration with the car. I plan to use some of our tax refund to get the bumper on my car fixed. I hit two snow banks this year when it was sub zero. The bumper was none too happy.:frown:

Jane healing thoughts.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia prayers.:flowerforyou:

Barb glad you are getting in sunshine again.

Jb great goals.:smile:

Goal:
    To do something healthy today, so I wake up to a healthier tomorrow.
    Had a massage last night. Cathy suggested I work on my posture and gave me great ideas to help with that. I tend to round my shoulders and have my chin reach forward. She suggested I keep chin back and stretch over a balance ball and to stretch like I am going to do a swan dive throughout the day. Bringing shoulders down. Otherwise I will end up with the hump.

2013 word: contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I like your comments on goal setting very much, particularly this, “I don’t have any control over how much weight I lose, but I can resolve to do things like walk 10,000 steps, drink 9 glasses of water, log my food, avoid “empty calories” like candy, salad dressing, etc.” You are absolutely right.:flowerforyou:

Rori: It is good to see you here again. Stop by often.:flowerforyou:

Jane: I’m sorry you’ll have to see the ortho doctor for a possible ACL tear. Hugs.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I’m so sorry your testing revealed a significant lung issue and glad to know it is not worse. I hope you’re able to find ways to be active and happy, despite it. Pottery does seem like a potential problem. I never actually succeeded in throwing a pot because I never succeeded in centering my clay but working the clay involved lots of water and I don’t remember dust at the wheel although the pottery rooms were always dusty. I applaud you for signing up for medical trials and deciding to be done with feeling down. I also admire your involvement with your grandchildren. They’re lucky to have you in their lives.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: Today is a new day. I hope you have a better time and see more blossoming trees.:flowerforyou:

DebA: Congratulations to your daughter. You must be very proud of her.:flowerforyou:

Michele: I am really appreciating your exermom name. You do more exercising than anyone I know. I also admire your social activities. It is an area where I could use improvement. :flowerforyou:

Kay from Wisconsin: Congratulations on your March successes. Love the “release” v “lose” comments. I don’t want to find my extra pounds again, either.:noway: :laugh:

Alison: Sorry about the loss of your DSIL’s dad and the stress for your brother. I agree with others, get yourself something new that you’ll wear and enjoy on other occasions.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I’m sorry you aren’t going to have your Jag adventure. I hope you think of another fun idea. The silver linings sound impressive. It is nice to be more relaxed and able to take more things along. Enjoy your trip.:flowerforyou:

Liz from Halifax: I suspect we’re all past ready for spring. Glad to hear your DGS doesn’t have diabetes. It isn’t fun. :flowerforyou:

DH goes to the acupuncture doctor today. It will take most of the day. I’m feeling a bit off, have a tummy ache and am kind of blue. I hope both go away soon. I used to be plagued with “the blues” but haven’t experienced them in quite a while.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Katla in overcast NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training when able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: Pay attention to water intake and drink frequently during the day.
  • Jjnancy70
    Options
    :devil: Hi everyone;It is sunny in Maine today--Thank Heaven--we are sick and tired of snow.My name is Nancy--I will turn 70 next month and I have been down-up,down up virtually all my life--I am afraid I am at my highest again and have decided to give it one more shot--as I had a gentle scolding from Primary Care lady day before yesterday--so a weigh-we-go.
    I am trying something new --I am going to allow myself one SPECIAL treat once a week--making it as health wise as possible--hope this will help me not feel so deprived--last pm, I allowed myself a Root-Beer Float with Diet Root Beer- and low-sugar Edys Vanilla Ice Cream--next week something else--in the meantime am looking for some new ideas foir tasty but low-cal,low fat snacks--the same-o,same-o gets old after awhile. Hope to make acquaintance with some of you nice ladies in the near future--Jjnancy70:love:
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Barb - Hi and welcome back. I have a friend in Elkins, WV and love to vacation in Canaan Valley area. What part of WV are you in?

Heather - Sorry to hear about not getting the jag but sounds like it may be a small blessing in disguise. You may end up enjoying your trip a little more with being able to take your time, get there earlier, and pack what you want. Enjoy that bubble bath! Maybe the jag trip can be something to look forward to in the future.

Cindy – glad you’re feeling better.

Alison – sorry to hear of the latest sorrow to hit. I’m glad your brother seems to be handling it.

Jane – sorry to hear about your knee. Hopefully, the news will be no tear in the ACL.

Deb A – Congratulations to your daughter on her achievement. Safe travels to you.

Bonnie – 3 day bike trip! Hope you have great weather and a wonderful time.

Nancy and all of the others - Hi and welcome.

Liz – Don’t think of goals as success and failure. Goals not reached are just that…not reached YET!! As long as you keep at it, it is not a failure. Only failure is to give up and you’re not doing that. March seemed hard for most of us so you’re in good company. Every day, every hour, every minute gives us a chance to leave the past behind and make a better choice.

A favorite rhyme I learned from my 3rd grade teacher:

60 seconds make a minute
    How much good can I do in it?
    60 minutes make an hour
    All the good that’s in my power!

Tina from MD
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Ok finally got my goals for April -

Drink at least 8 glasses of water
    Start walking for 30 mins a day
    Keep blood sugar under 170

Tigress in GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    A favorite rhyme I learned from my 3rd grade teacher:

60 seconds make a minute
    How much good can I do in it?
    60 minutes make an hour
    All the good that’s in my power!

Tina from MD

Tina, I love this poem. Thanks for sharing.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I posted an inquiry to one of my online pottery groups asking if anyone had experience with Alpha-1 (A1-AT) and I have had a few nibbles. One lady said she has several friends with it and she is involved in a support group, so I should call her. So that is promising.

Today our lawn guy is at our house tilling my new garden! I'm afraid it may be too late in the season, but since the chance of frost is still a real possibility, I was afraid to do it any sooner. This is my first garden. Hope I can do it! The kids are going to come over and help me plant stuff. Mostly cherry tomatoes and corn I think. But I might try some watermelon. Any tips? I'll do some research online on gardening.

So, today's joke is pretty timely:
    :happy:
    A city slicker moves to the country and decides he's going to start farming. He goes to the local co-op and tells the man, "Give me 100 baby chickens." The co-op man complies. A week later the man returns and says, "Give me 200 baby chickens." The co-op man complies. Again, a week later the man returns. This time he says, "Give me 500 baby chickens." "Wow!" the co-op man replies. "You must really be doing well. "Naw," said the man with a sigh. "I'm either planting them too deep or too far apart!"
    :laugh:

Have a great Wednesday!

Sylvia
  • dlockhart1955
    dlockhart1955 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am Debbie and I am 58 and live in the Dallas Fort Worth area. I have had weight issues for many many years.
    On Feb 17, my doctor told me he wanted me to lose 15 lbs in 6 months. No problem - right. Well, as of March 30, I gained 4.4.

So, a co-worker told me about this site. So, I am now tracking everything. I also bought a FitBit Zip.

Then I joined Walgreens Steps program. I figured this way I would get paid for the walking. :happy:

Hope everyone has a great day.

Debbie
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: I tried a new water exercise class this morning since I am now retired and can make it at that time. It is called Water Works and includes strength training, balance and flexibility with weights and resistance. I have to say I can feel it already. It was a good workout with an excellent teacher. I will be going back again.

Allison - so sorry to hear of further troubles. Please take care of you.

Sylvia - I think you have a good attitude now that the shock has worn off a bit. Keep up with your healthy ways.

Heather - Sorry about the Jag but glad you are still happy about the trip. I had a teacher in high school who had one of those Jags, navy blue. He used to get so upset when people would put fingerprints on it.:laugh: He and one of our PE teachers who had a Thunderbird convertible use to compete to see who would be the first to drive with the top down in the spring.

To whomever said they felt like a failure. If you are still trying you have not failed, only if you quit.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Happy Spring...I hope!!:happy:

My goals for April:
    Drag myself out of this depression
    Drink at least 8 glasses of water on the weekends
    Eliminate my snacking after dinner
    Try at least 1 new thing every week for exercise

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

How many calories do you burn by being frustrated and crying.Ben on the phone all morning trying to make appt.Told he does`t take my ins.Back in forth 2 both drs office.My dr talked to the ortho dr and he agreed to see my,I guess he staff know different.Hope to get this resolved soon.Am so darn upset,it`s bad enough being in pain and then dealing with this bs.
    sorry for the vent.
    HUGS
    jane
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi Jane, so sorry you're frustrated. If it's any consolation, I think they train orthos to behave like that. :wink:

Cynthia
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Happy Spring...I hope!!:happy:

My goals for April:
    Drag myself out of this depression
    Drink at least 8 glasses of water on the weekends
    Eliminate my snacking after dinner
    Try at least 1 new thing every week for exercise

:heart: Sandy in ON
    Pretty ambitious. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of having a smaller percentage of my daily calories used on junk food. i just love it so much! It's a lifelong habit for me. I eat less in general now, but I need more healthy foods in there.
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to join this time ladies! I really was looking over the yoga classes at my gym and was saying to myself that I need to try them, so sounds like a good time to start. I can also add on the leg lifts. Looking forward to this.

Debra G.
    Waldofr, MD
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'll take the plunge and jump right in! I am 50 and currently a stay at home caregiver for my son and wife to my sweet hubby of 25 yrs. I joined MFP a year and a half ago to become healthier. Most of my 25 lb loss was accomplished early on...Been dabbling rest of the time. And now I have a very good reason to find my mojo again.

I have a son who had a kidney transplant when he was 2. He is now 19, and is getting close to needing another. We already know I'm the next best match but 2 yrs ago (When I was 30 lbs heavier) I was told I was too old. At that time I felt like the doc really meant you're too fat, just trying to spare my feelings. Now things are getting more serious for my boy and I have been on the internet researching and learning that they are transplanting kidneys from healthy donors who are up to 70! What a joy that was to learn! As I learn this wonderful news, What more motivation do I need?

I have read many of your posts and would love to be part of this inspiring group if you'll have me:)

SW 232
    CW 204
    GW 199 (for the end of April)

I promise to check in here every day, give updates AND encouragement. I not only hope to achieve MY goals but hope I can be motivating to YOU as well:)

For the month of April I will eliminate the "whites": white rice, white flour, white sugar, white bread, drink at least 9 cups of water, walk at least 3 times a week and count, measure, weigh everything that goes into my mouth.

Kay from NW Washington (in the neighboring town of the devastating OSO landslide)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    More new friends!

Kay, I can't think of a better reason to lose weight but to be an organ donor for your own child. That is so wonderful, first that you are a match and that you are willing to give that sacrifice for him. So sorry for your communities devastating loss.

Storms coming in tonight and tomorrow:grumble: :frown: :cry: I hope it doesn't upset our travel plans. This is spring break for them and a perfect opportunity for us to maximize our time with them. Their apartment doesn't have a whole lot of 'visiting space' in the living room. They did live in a trailer complex and I thought they were going to be able to move away from that crowded, kind of trashy home but I don't think so. I love my daughter but she is even a worse housekeeper than me. They had a huge living room in their trailer and had her piano and a large play area on one side and then ample space for furniture and lounging on the other side. So all of this is moved into a small living room. They did do some purging but they still have the piano and toys. So now the have a treadmill, eliptical, and recumbent bike in there also. They say that they bike gives and extra seat!:laugh: So we usually spend most of our time doing something away from the apartment. They did gain a small yard and lots of kids for the DGKs to play with and an area for them to ride bikes, etc. My oldest DGD was 12 years old and had never ridden her bike in her own neighborhood.

OK, enough of me ranting about my own daughter. I do love her

Allison, so sorry about your latest family problems. This has been quite a year for you.

Joyce, Indiana
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,830 Member
    Options
    Just want to mark my place and post my goals. Sure wish I had the time to go through all the posts. I miss it.....

My SMART goals for March:

SMART goal - Specific, Measurable, Actionable/achievable, Realistic, and Timed.

Week1: steps average: 6866 Curves 4 times (had to bring dog to be spayed one morning) No weight loss. Extreme stress and depression not helping me any.
    Week 2: steps average: 8342 – Curves 5 times – weight stayed the same
    Week 3: steps average: 8931 – Curves 4 times (overslept one day) – Weight 190.6
    Week 4: steps average:: Weight 187.7 – Curves 4 times (sick Friday) Steps 7,000 approx. (sick and weather)

Getting much closer to my goals! I feel good about how I did this month physically :happy: . Just need to get mentally with it as well. Met my 5 pound loss, :tongue: very close on the steps, :wink: met my exercise goals. Not bad. :bigsmile:

My SMART goals for April:
    I will lose 3 pounds by April 30 (lowered the goal because it is really hard for me to lose! :sad: ) through consistently going to Curves at least 4 times a week and increasing my daily steps to average 8,000 steps a week. My ultimate goal is to weigh 145 or less pounds and be healthy by this time next year. Start weight 187.7

SMART goal - Specific, Measurable, Actionable/achievable, Realistic, and Timed.
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Goodnight everyone; hope everyone has a good night. :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • Kayzoola
    Kayzoola Posts: 60
    Options
    I just returned from body pump, and tomorrow is Bodycombat. It seems the last five pounds I want to lose are made of tougher stuff than the others. They just keep hanging on. I plan to lob vegetables at them, and see what that does. That is my goal this month... And drink more water!

Kayzoola (PNW USA)