WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Evening, ladies,

Jane...........So sorry to hear of your MRI results; fingers crossed it won't be a tear.

Sylvia..........Pity party??? I don't think so...........good grief, you have got to be in a bit of shock over the news, totally understandable, please come on and say whatever you need to say.......and be kind to yourself. I have been enjoying your posted jokes; don't remember if I've said this.

Katla..........Good for you for getting to the dentist; another thing I'm overdue for.

Heather.........I also vote for pics in the Jag and of the cake!

Welcome newbies!!! Stick around!!!

The day was not nearly as warm as it was supposed to be. My friend picked Cracker Barrel for her lunch. I resolved to have a very light dinner, then DH came home and wanted to go to Schlotzkys so I willingly blew it again diet wise, to say nothing of not supporting local owned and run eating places. Food-wise, a terrible awful horrible no good day.

I have backslid sooooo far, any goals will be baby ones.

Did pop into the local park...........the cherry blossoms are FINALLY just starting.........very sparse, but a couple trees have a bloom or two. YAY!!!!! I have seen pink cherry trees around town, including a beautiful weeping cherry, so these must be a later variety. Now on to the wisteria watch!!!

Have a load of clothes to put in dryer, then bed once they are dry Gym in am.

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note. I am getting ready to travel to North Carolina to see my daughter. She is presenting her dissertation for he PhD at Duke on Friday. I will be there Thursday through Sunday am. Am looking forward to some time with her. It has been too long since the last visit. I will be going back down in May for graduation.

It sounds like so many of you are doing very well following your plans for a healthier lifestyle. I love reading about all of your successes!! There is so much wisdom within this group! It is so refreshing to be a part of a group that is so positive and supportive of each other.

Although I don't post often, I do read this thread each day and gain so much from all of you. Thank you all for sharing all you do.

Deb A in CNY
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    A few people have wondered how I cook the barley. To be honest, I sort-of wing it. I use 1/2 cup water, bring that to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer and add 1/2 cup of the barley. I let that simmer for an hour. It's still somewhat chewy. I do make a beef and barley dinner in the crockpot and use the hulled barley. That holds its texture better than the pearled barley. When I cook it on the stovetop, it is still somewhat "chewy", I don't know if I need to cook it for longer, I'm just not sure. Will have to experiment some.

Did an hour of incline intervals on the treadmill today (2 min @ 3%, 6%, 9%, 12%, 3%, etc). Tomorrow I'm planning to take yoga and then the deep water class. Yesterday I did about 10 minutes of pilates, held my plank for 2 min 15sec, and then took the extremepump class.

Deb, dchaya, shellyblle, Lisa, Pam, roxmom - welcome.

Sylvia - so glad you got to your goal,

Glad for everyone who made their goals

Heather - I'm getting more and more excited for you. I do hope you get to get that top down some. Don't forget those pics! Congrats on the wonderful NSV and getting upgraded

Val - welcome. I'm sure Heather can give you good tips about being a taster and how to avoid weight gain. Good for you trying new exercises!

Amanda - (((HUGS))))

yanniejannie - glad you've decided to call Gwen's sister. I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

Carol in NC - great job getting the Kashi that low. How I miss our H-T. They used to have triple coupons, too

kathy - prayers to you

Bonnie - welcome! Where in NC do you live? Wonderful goals

After exercise today, went to PetSmart (Vince gives the cats too many treats so I had to buy more), then stopped at Aldi for some veges. Then went to mahjongg, and I maj'd twice on the new card! Now home for a little dinner and tonight we're supposed to go to Mexican Train Dominoes.

Margaret - good for you doing something healthy for yourself!

Sue in SD - I like how you're gradually increasing your goal of steps. Makes it so much more doable for the long term

Joyce - have fun on your tour

CSueB - any question you have, just ask it. I know someone will certainly answer it for you.

Gloria - great goals

Kim- about the stockings, thanks for offering. Right now I don't need any. It's just that when I originally bought stockings, I didn't realize how much of a problem it was going to be! I just wondered how you did it, since I know what problems I had. But I will certainly keep you in mind if I ever need some done. Was there a reason why the people had the tree taken down? Was it sick, maybe?

Deb - we post about everything here, not just our goals. Our life influences things like our goals or how we are feeling.

Rori - we're so glad you're back, too.

jane - ((((HUGS)))))

Just got back from Mexican Train. Someone brought a salad, so I had two big helpings of that. Fortunately, they didn't put any dressing on it. I had two of the parmesan spinach cakes I brought and two small pieces of cheese with crackers. And, of course, my 48oz of water. I honestly don't understand what's so great about going out and buying cakes. Well, two ladies made cakes. But someone bought these cookies and someone else bought a pie. Wish there was other decent things. I didn't have any of the desserts, they just don't interest me at all. Like I said, I had two big helpings of salad, that was good!

Michele in NC
  • kayms13
    kayms13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Happy April! Hope this month finally brings us spring. The snow is disappearing, and I can't wait to see green and growing things again! :flowerforyou: I'm so jealous of those who are already enjoying daffodils and cherry blossoms. Tulips are my favorite spring flower.

Reviewed my March goals, and though I wasn't perfect, I'm fairly satisfied. I was out of town 2 weekends this past month, so those are always a challenge. But I got right back at it when I got home--in the past that didn't often happen.

Goals for April:
    1. Some type of physical activity at least 4x/week.
    2. Work on strength/flexibility 3x/week--even 10 minutes.
    3. Get out on the golf course the first weekend it opens :happy:

I also like "release" rather than "lose". I also don't want to "find" those pounds again :laugh: Good night!

Kay - Wisconsin
  • Tigredia
    Tigredia Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had a great day. My sister is visiting from WI. We shopped most of the day. How do you log calories for that? I halfed the hours and logged as slow walking. .??

We had grilled chicken thighs with cinnamon and blood orange olive oil and cinnamon pear balsamic on them. Yum. Caulifflower with light cheese sauce.

Ell from Tucson
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. This month I hope to keep up with my 3 cardio aerobics classes and one yoga class per week. Hopefully mother nature will cut back on the snow (a good goal for her) and I can start walking more too. I'm also trying to increase the veggie intake and do more recording on MFP. again. Most important, I hope to get a couple of massages this month so I can keep exercising with less tightness. Oh! And I plan to buy some new clothes for spring... ones that show I have worked my way to having some kind of shape again :) Thanks for being here all of you!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    sorry I didnt check in last night,
    did get about 14,000 steps in, but got a call late yesterday morning, that my DSIL dad dropped dead right in front of my brother, this poor man,just got out of the nursing home last thursday...and he was getting up to go to his recliner with his walker,Sean was behind him, and Faith(Jeans's mom) was right behind them, he just toppled over and Sean called 911, of course when they got there they started CPR, and kept it up until the Dr at the hospital said stop.
    Jean had to race back up from work, and then alot of stuff through the rest of the day..
    I give my DB alot of credit,he held it together, and didnt pick up a drink..., the next few days are going to be hectic, like we need more stress:grumble:
    I have to find something to wear,as I dont have anything that fits for a funeral...
    5 and a 1/2 hrs sleep this will be a swell day
    I am ordering a small meat and cheese platter and some rolls to go up to the house today so that they have something to nibble on as I am sure people will be in and out.
    as I was race walking yesterday I said a small prayer for the people that I knew in the houses along the way,
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Alison: always thinking of others; you really are a sweetheart. Buy something nice for yourself that you might also be able to wear somewhere else. Take it easy and rest when you can. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia

P.S. good morning, ladies!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,199 Member
    Options
    Oh Alison, my thoughts and hugs are with you.:heart::heart: :heart: As you say, it's not like you need more stress right now. Fingers crossed for Sean.:heart: By the way, thank you for the cheese suggestions.:flowerforyou:

Well girls, GUESS WHAT! I took a phone call this morning from the Jag people. I was on our rowing machine. The man said that the E type had been returned with the head gasket blown and therefore it is out of commission. :noway: :sick: :huh: He offered us snother car but IT IS NOT THE SAME :sad: so we have cancelled. How about that! :grumble: I rowed a lot faster after that!:laugh:
    The good news is that in a way I felt a tiny bit relieved and now we will be able to enjoy a more relaxed trip to the Cotswolds with no time deadlines and I can take a bigger suitcase! ! ! ! ! ! We do have our nice new car to ride in and we can get to the hotel in good time to enjoy our upgrade! I feel a bubble bath coming on!
    It is obviously disappointing as we have been looking forward to this since Christmas - I even bought DH a model Jag, but I feel happy about it. I wish I'd known yesterday as I was awake and nervous at 4.45 this morning. :blushing: :blushing: :tongue:

Sylvia - I am so sorry about your news, but glad about the grandchildren. :love: You seem to be coping well at the moment with not too many symptoms so I hope that by looking after your health any problems will be minimised. Thinking of you.:flowerforyou:

Ok folks, got to get orgainised. Will tell the hotel we are going to arrive a bit earlier! It's called Lords of the Manor !!!!

Heather in cloudy, drizzly Hampshire UK
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All!!! :flowerforyou:

Barbie I love your picture and oh how I wish for it to come :sad: :sad: ...I am sooo tired of snow and freezing rain :grumble: :noway: ....March wasn't a very good month..very nasty :grumble: I get our GS's over as much as I can so I can feel happy......they are my special joy....my oldest has to bend down for a hug he is tall for 13 :noway: ..our baby has been feeling poorly and my DD took him to the dr and she had blood work done...we were afraid he had diabetes...his mom and his uncle (my son) has it and so does my DH...so it wouldn't be a stretch that he had it but it turned out to be low iron..thank God..you always think the worst when they get sick....
    I failed on my March goals..I was to try to go outside walking...didn't happen...

So for April
    **** lose 5 lbs
    ***** exercise more
    I know it is no good to try too much..I will just disappoint myself...I know I am a failure at this so far...:sad: :sad: :blushing: ....lets just wait and see how April goes :blushing:

Take Care!!!
    Liz {from Halifax NS}
    876437ei04mj2h1d.gif
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Margaret:smile: Sharing coffee:drinker: and water:drinker: !!!

Sylvia:smile: Just sending you a hug:flowerforyou: !!!

Alison:smile: So sorry to hear about DSIL`s father:brokenheart: :cry: ! Wishing for the best for your brother:flowerforyou: ! I agree with Cynthia, when you buy something new to wear, get something you love and will wear again!

Heather:smile: Sorry to hear about the car being canceled:frown: ! At least you have a good attitude and sounds like you will enjoy the trip anyhow:happy: !

Yanniejannie:smile: My cherry tree never recovered from the nasty weather:sad: , I have a few blooms but most of the tree is brown:frown: ! The Bradford pear trees however are out in full bloom and they look fabulous:love: ! I think you made the right decision to let Gwen`s sister know her condition!

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: ! Come in often and chat with us!

My youngest granddaughter is out of school on spring break and she`s coming to spend the day with me:love: ! I`m sure we`ll spend a lot of time on the golf cart today, and I`m going to take her to the track with me this morning, she can run while I walk:tongue: ! The weather has been absolutely fabulous here:glasses: , today it`s supposed to be 80 degrees, oh , I just love it:bigsmile: !!!

Have a wonderful Wednesday ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in beautiful NC
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, I have planned my days food, and I under without adding exercise. I find if I plan I stick to it. Sorry it hear people are feeling poorly, I hope you all get better soon.
    Michele- whenever I have to go to a grange meeting( that includes food) I always bring the salad, that way I know I will have something to eat.
    Hugs to everyone! Tigress in GA
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! Just wanted to pop in for a minute and say hi. I feel better today and am at work. I had to to take my car in this morning since it's been making a funny sound since late last week. I certainly hope he's not too sick--I can't afford a huge repair bill! Because I work two jobs, it makes it difficult for me to take advantage of the free shuttle the dealership offers, so I rented a Prius at the "service" rate. I may have to sneak out of work a little early today so that I can ride around in it a bit for fun.

My calories will likely be blown to kingdom come this weekend. The kids and I are going to my parents' to make a college visit at Western Carolina University for my son on Saturday. It is a flying trip up and back since we won't get to leave until after 3 p.m. on Friday and then come back Saturday night so I can do my church duties on Sunday. We'll get there just in time for dinner and then the boy child and I will leave at 10 a.m. to head across the mountain and won't likely get back until dinner time. We'll eat a quick meal and then be on our way back to Burlington. Makes me tired to think about it! I just hope I get to see my little ones for at least a few minutes while I'm there.

Yesterday was not a good day with the upset stomach. I guess the bright side is that I ate less than 600 calories for the day! I feel better today but not great. Hopefully, that will get better as the day goes on.

Alison - Be sure to take time to breather and sleep!

Heather - Sorry about your Jag! I hope you will enjoy the more relaxing weekend. Maybe the car rental place will give you a big discount for your troubles when you get the chance to rebook.

Oh, I forgot to mention that there might be a very bright side to the first half of my day. It seems that the phone in my office doesn't work this morning! :bigsmile: That would make for a VERY quiet morning!

Off to earn my keep! Have a great day, everyone!

Carol in sunny and warm NC
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I think my cold is over now, whew! Spring is in full swing in OK. Some severe weather in northern OK yesterday. Blossoms and new leaves are coming out, it is 68 this morning, Hubby had his coffee on the patio.

Jane, many hugs. Get to the Dr quickly.

Sylvia, take care of yourself. You have many prayers being said for you.

Yanniejannie, today is a new day, baby steps back to healthy habits.

Michele, thanks for the cooking information on barley. I found a recipe for baked barley and tried it last night. It was good. Hulled barley is very good for you, thank you for the inspiration to try it!

Alison, lots of hugs for you!!

Quote to share:

"What you feed your mind is just as important as what you feed your body. Every person should make an art of thinking. The Master Thinker is an artist, and is careful to only paint divine designs upon his mind." Emmet Fox

Have a wonderful day ladies!

Cindy in OK. :heart:
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, your seem so calm in midst of your diagnosis. I admire your strength.

My DH is under the weather, so I've had to step up to the plate at home. We do eat better/healthier when I'm in charge. I will need to go to the store for us today. He usually does it. Hopefully i can stock up on healthy choices, fresh veggies and fruit.
  • Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone and Happy Spring! :flowerforyou:

I've been "out of the loop" so to speak as far as this group goes. It was a rough winter with regards to not only the weather, but being able to get to the gym and feeling kind of depressed after the holidays. I always feel better in the spring, it's like a new start! I've been having quite a bit of hip pain lately and going through physical therapy. A CT scan showed arthritis in my SI joints, but with the pain growing worse they've ordered an MRI which I'll have done on Friday. The pain didn't help at all with the winter depression issues, but I find now that I can go outside without layers of sweaters and jackets, I'm feeling much better :laugh:

My goals for April include:

Logging my food and exercise every day.

Get some form of exercise every day.

Start walking on my lunch breaks again, weather permitting.

Check in with our group every day!

Hope everone has a wonderful day! :smile:

Barb in cloudy West Virginia
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy April! :smile:

Goals for this month are the same as I posted at the beginning of March. I did pretty good last month, finally was able to log another pound lost this morning. Silly scale was going up and down, up and down all month.....pogo stick! Haha, remember those? And stilts? :laugh:

My to-do list, with notes about how I did in March:

*Continue to change your thinking, shifting gears from negative to positive (doing great with this)

*Treat yourself kindly, with compassion (this is getting easier, with practice)

*Make time for self-care, including paying attention to this list! (yes!)

*Plan plan plan, pre-log meals first thing in the morning (this is helping a lot)

*Don't eat until hungry (doing well during the day, but it's still difficult after dinner)

*Practice mindful eating, savor every bite (Still need LOTS of work in this area!)

*Cut out weeknight wine (an occasional slip here and there, but for the most part, yep!)

*Allow a fun night on the weekend, goofing off, no logging (makes me think real hard about what I'm putting in my mouth)

*Set a new, lower, personal calorie goal (1250 most days, some days 1350, depending on exercise)

*Daily exercise goals including at least 30 mins intense cardio (didn't do so well last week, but I did walk a lot)

*Add yoga and strength-work to regular exercise (back to it as of yesterday)

*Report daily to a journal or a friend, listing goals for the day (very helpful!)

*Keep a positive attitude, be gracious and grateful (always worth remembering!)

:flowerforyou: Welcome everyone new! Let's have a wonderful month. :drinker:

:smile: jb in Portland where tulips and daffodils are in beautiful bloom
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day.
    Trying to get appt for ortho dr.
    Have a good day.
    HUGS
    jane
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I've read through this months, and I know it will take me a while to get to know everyone. I will try to check in with ya'll over the weekend. I'm in the process of packing for a three day bicycle trip. I may or may not be able to find WifI locations every night. Happens sometimes on bike trips.

I started here in January of 2013 and when I went on the Spring 3 day bike ride, I missed logging in on Sunday (couldn't find anywhere that had wifi on Sunday). I've been joking that now that I'm almost up to a year … here I go I may have to miss one day. Hope not.

Hoping to ride at least 100 miles this weekend.

Have a great weekend!

Bonnie from NC