WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Gosh I can't keep up with you all!

:noway: Here we are into April already :noway: Where does the time go>

:ohwell: I'm still toying with the idea of leaving my job to go to a part time job, but I've just been given a pay rise and now I'm wondering if I should stay on a little longer. Need to work everything out again as I don't know what to do for the best :frown:

:wink: I will try to keep up in April, but I'm sure I've said that before.

Better get my salad ready for lunch and then get breakfast sorted, before I know it I'll be late for work :bigsmile:

Have a good day :heart:

Viv
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    morning all,
    i havent got on the scale in a week or so, well it wasnt good. since Dec. I am up 8 lbs,geesh
    even after 18,183 steps yesterday.. oh my
    it just makes me mad, but wont give up ,I have to baby myself.I understand that stress has alot to do with it,
    I am sitting having my lemon water, and have a load of laundry in,
    and a HUGE list of stuff to do today. no rest for the weary..
    going to ask cranky manager if I can work tomorrow 8;30-4 instead of 9:30-5 , so that I can be there at the wake on time...
    I was asked to make Franks cake that I made him a few weeks ago,lemon cake with blueberries in it with cream cheese frosting for the reception after ,, I will make them into cupcakes for easy eating..will try and make them today, and then frost them tomorrow night..or early saterday..
    On a good note... 2 nights ago I heard the peepers... my absolute favorite part of spring :bigsmile:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

I am desperately trying to find a new protein shake for my mornings. I've tried just about everything so far and the only one I could stomach is no longer available. Grr. As a vegetarian I am very aware that I don't get enough protein - especially as I have to be careful with my gallbladder. I used to eat cheese, but that's a no-no at present. (I do miss my cheese!) Also have to avoid nuts for now.

Anyway, I hope you lovelies are well and get the chance to smile today.

Love to all.

Amanda x
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Tere:smile: Cherry Tere...I love it!!! It`s so good to see you back here:flowerforyou: , I always loved reading your posts!!! It isn`t ice cream that tries to jump in my cart, it`s cake:angry: , I keep reminding myself store bought cake is not nearly as good as a homemade cake, therefore not worth the calories:noway: :tongue: !

Kim in N. CAL :smile: I bet you were still starving:laugh: ! How nice though that she made a low cal menu for you!

Alison:smile: Hope you`ll find some time to just sit and breathe and listen to those gorgeous peepers:flowerforyou: !

Amanda:smile: I have never found a protein powder I liked:noway: , everything I`ve tried (and it has been years ago) was gritty:sick: ! Good luck finding something that will work for you! I can not get over how big the grandtwins have gotten:love: ! They grow so very fast:sad: !

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: ! So much fun to have new ladies sharing with us:happy: :happy: ! Take Barbie`s advice and pop in and chat away with us, this is such a wonderful group of women, encouragement not judgment :heart: !!!

I have a meeting in 15 minutes:noway: :grumble: and I`m not even ready to leave yet (where is the yikes icon?) Have a wonderful day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in absolutely gorgeous NC:glasses:
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hello to All, I've tried to catch up on the posts but didn't make it all the way through. Tuesday my DGD (age 2) had to be taken to the hospital for an allergic reaction to amoxicilin. She has hives and swollen joints and it breaks my heart to see her suffering. Yesterday I had to work over to catch up as I left Tuesday to pick up my DGS (he is almost 4) so his parents could concentrate on my grandaughter and not worry about him. Today I have to get to the Y and get my strenght training in as I missed yesterday.

Drkatiebug, I think you need to find a new doctor. I have a good relationship with mine now, but I literally put my chair in front of the door to block it one time when he came in and then he had to listen to me as explained how he made me feel by his treatment of me. He seemed truly ashamed and he listens much better now.

Welcome Bonnie, I really enjoy riding also. I just bought a bike last year and look forward to doing a lot more riding when warm weather hits. I would love to work up to two and three day trips.

Margaretturk, I like that goal.

Heather, Enjoy your trip and I hope the top can come down.

Sue SD, Congrats on making your goals for March, you are inspiring me to stick to mine. Water aerobics are a great work out, I use to teach it and would love to again if I could ever work out the tome.

Jill MA, I like the info on emotional eating, I’m really bad at it. Tuesday my DGD had to go to the hospital with an allergic reaction and I missed work then yesterday didn’t take breaks or lunch trying to catch up. When I got home I did nothing but eat and sit. I have to stop that.

Deb23455, Good for you that you are starting weight training. It is so important for women, esp. as we age. It will help with your bones, flexibility and balance.

Sylvia, Sounds like you are doing all the right things, maybe you could start an on-line support group.

Michele NC, Parmesan Spinach cakes? That sounds good. Do you have a recipe?

Welcome Kay in NW Washington, Great goals and motivation, we are here to support you.

I've done real well so far on the goal of getting atleast 60 oz of water in a day.
    I need to get on the 400 minutes of exercise as I'm behind on it.

I really need to get to work so I better close for now.
    Welcome to everyone new and health to all today and always.
    Patty from Cincinnati
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

I am desperately trying to find a new protein shake for my mornings. I've tried just about everything so far and the only one I could stomach is no longer available. Grr. As a vegetarian I am very aware that I don't get enough protein - especially as I have to be careful with my gallbladder. I used to eat cheese, but that's a no-no at present. (I do miss my cheese!) Also have to avoid nuts for now.

Anyway, I hope you lovelies are well and get the chance to smile today.

Love to all.

Amanda x

Amanda,

I am a pescetarian, was a vegetarian for many years but added some fish back a few years ago. I make my own protein shake each morning for breakfast. I use Isopure whey protein. Hubby picked it out. It is very smooth. I use Silk unsweetened soy milk in it. I add different fruits as well. I also add a teaspoon of cinnamon as it is supposed to be good at keeping blood sugar down. I hope this helps,

Cindy in OK.
  • Cindy781
    Options
    Good morning Lovely Ladies,

Welcome to everyone new.

Tere, so proud of you for keeping that ice cream out of your shopping cart.

Michele, again- your workouts rock!

I see some of you drink lemon water, I just started doing that last month. I read so many benefits from adding lemon to my water. I used the leftover barley and made a one pot meal using soy crumbles, sweet potatoes, and kale. To anyone else who used to try to finish everything on there plate, it can be fun to get creative with leftovers.

My Hubby is not vegetarian but he eats very little meat. The only other consolation I make is using chicken broth in some recipes. I used to make vegetable stock, but it is so expensive and time consuming. Is anyone else a vegetarian or pescetarian besides me and Amanda? Just curious.

Prayers and Hugs to all,

Cindy in oK :heart:
  • dlockhart1955
    dlockhart1955 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Why is it that if I can't finish my dinner I feel guilty and keep eating. I have fish and salad leftover, I am full, so why do I feel guilty? I've had to stop myself from stuffing it down. I guess it's the I don't want to waste it syndrome.
    Tigress in GA

It is the "clean plate syndrom" that we were taught growing up. I heard "There are kids in China starving - eat it".
  • rlkilgo
    rlkilgo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Good morning! :flowerforyou: I am so happy to have this beautiful weather here in Alabama. My goals for April:
    ride my bike when the weather is nice (Got a good start, rode Mon., Tues., Wed.)
    keep a closer check on my protein and vitamin intake
    smile more :happy:
    laugh more :laugh:

Blessings to you all!
    Rachel in Alabama
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,048 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies,

Deedee:drinker: having my lemon water with you.

Rachael love the laughing and smiling goal.:bigsmile: :laugh:

I am on our new notebook and it does not have word on it so it makes it more difficult to respond to individual posts.

Goal:
    Rather than set a certain number of pounds to lose. I like what one of my MFP pals said,. "When I do the right things for my body the rest will follow."
    Today I will continue to do those stretching exercises for my back, so tomorrow I will stand with better posture and more confidence.

2014 word: contentment
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,048 Member
    Options
    I did come across another reason not to lose weight too quickly. In the book Food Your Miracle Medicine the author discusses it puts your at a higher risk for gallstones when you lose too quickly.. Unfortunately carrying extra weight also increases your risk. Her recommendation is to lose the extra weight in a one to two pound increments. This the healthiest way to decrease your odds of developing gallstones.
  • DianeDavidson0226
    DianeDavidson0226 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm Diane Davidson in the ankle of the Louisiana boot - Alexandria. I introduced my "empty nest" results - my belly named Hope (my daughter), one huge butt cheek named John (my son) and the other named Jarrod (my other son). I've gained about 50 pounds in the last few years and certainly don't want to be fat and 55 - so I started working out at the gym 4-5 days a week. MFP has been a huge help in keeping me mindful of not only the calories I take in but carbs and sugar as well. My April goals are to keep losing at least 2 pounds a week and maintain my gym attendance. I struggle with emotional eating and try to find things to keep me occupied so boredom and stress don't put the weight back on. What tricks do you use to stop using food as a crutch?
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    It was a dark and stormy night...and this morning too. Possible tornadoes this afternoon. Aaah, springtime in Kansas! My garden is all tilled and fertilized with mushroom compost, ready to plant, so today I'm going to the greenhouse to buy my plants. I hope they have sweet 100 cherry tomatoes. Those are my favorites and I think the kids will like them.

Yesterday I took the little guy to story time at the library, and they did a puppet show of the Three Billygoats Gruff. They sweetened it up a little, but it was still slightly scary for the little ones. Mine was concerned when we went over the bridge to his preschool that there might be a troll under the bridge. I made a joke about it, saying I hope our tires dont run over his fingers, and we laughed and changed the subject. Later in the evening hubby and I took the recliner that I wasn't using in the gallery up to my son's apartment so he would have a comfy placed to sit while he gets his infusion this morning. Their living room is so tiny that the recliner and a square card table and four chairs pretty much fills it.

Gotta go! Later!

Sylvia
  • Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Options
    Why is it that if I can't finish my dinner I feel guilty and keep eating. I have fish and salad leftover, I am full, so why do I feel guilty? I've had to stop myself from stuffing it down. I guess it's the I don't want to waste it syndrome.
    Tigress in GA

It is the "clean plate syndrom" that we were taught growing up. I heard "There are kids in China starving - eat it".

Yes! I have that problem too! I remember feeling guilty as a kid if I left anything on my plate, mostly because mom was so proud of her cooking and got so much pleasure out of feeding us. Now my husband does the same thing to me, since he cooks during the week. I've now started to eat half of what he portions out for my dinner and I pack the other half for my lunch at work the next day.

I'm sitting here at work thinking that I need to get a timer for my desk, to remind me to get up and stretch. Maybe take a walk down the hall.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Barb in Eastern WV
  • Jjnancy70
    Options
    :love: Good morning, All:drinker: DING--LOGGING EVCERYTHING--so far no choclate cravings--Barbie--have to ask what part of NW--Washington--I was raised about 45 miles North of Seattle--I could all but spit and see Poor Oso out my back door.
    I hope everyone has a good day--and stays on the sunnyside of life--Jjnance70
  • Cindy781
    Options
    I'm Diane Davidson in the ankle of the Louisiana boot - Alexandria. I introduced my "empty nest" results - my belly named Hope (my daughter), one huge butt cheek named John (my son) and the other named Jarrod (my other son). I've gained about 50 pounds in the last few years and certainly don't want to be fat and 55 - so I started working out at the gym 4-5 days a week. MFP has been a huge help in keeping me mindful of not only the calories I take in but carbs and sugar as well. My April goals are to keep losing at least 2 pounds a week and maintain my gym attendance. I struggle with emotional eating and try to find things to keep me occupied so boredom and stress don't put the weight back on. What tricks do you use to stop using food as a crutch?

Hi Diane, I understand emotional eating. It is like a reward because something hurts. I use the mindset of food as fuel for my body. I live in this body so I want to care for it not abuse it. Not that I get it right all of the time. I structure my meals similar to the way body builders do. Most of the time I have a protein shake for breakfast, a simple lunch usually a sandwich. Dinner is usually a protein (fish or vegetarian)' roasted veggies and whole grain bread (small piece). Snacks are Greek yogurt, fruit, nuts. By keeping my choices small this is a habit now, and it has gotten 10 pounds off of me. My other problem was red wine, I started measuring my wine, I didn't realize how many calories I was consuming with a couple of glasses in the evening. Now I see it as a treat and keep it to 4-6 oz. Small changes become habits. Start with a few small things and you will be on your way. I do enjoy dinner out with Hubby a couple of nights each week but I don't go overboard even then. Best wishes on this journey!

Sylvia, Ah yes, springtime so fun in Oklahoma too! Thinking of you!

Cindy in OK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: People are lawsuit happy and have been for a long time. Personal responsibility? Why take any if you can get money out of someone? I agree with you that people aren’t taking enough responsibility for their own actions.:grumble:

Brenda: I don’t take notes. I have a word document opened on my desktop and make comments on it as I go down the page. When I’m done, I copy and paste the word document into MFP. this also helps avoid the occasions when the net hiccups and everything is lost.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: Congratulations for your DGD and the braces. I ended up getting mine in my late thirties. As a kid, my parents wouldn’t hear of it because my dad had such a horrible experience when he was growing up.:flowerforyou:

Cherry Tere: You had a great day. Congratulations! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Kim in NCA: Your friend did her best to be supportive. You’re lucky to have her. I wouldn’t have chosen chocolate bundt cake, but I’d have given myself a treat, too. You earned it and had calories to spare.:bigsmile:

Yanniejannie: I never made a pogo stick work in my whole life, but I loved the stilts my dad made for me. That was a fun summer. Thanks for the reminder.:flowerforyou:

Viv: Stop in whenever you can. This group is tremendously supportive, but keeping up takes time. It is worth it for me because it keeps me encouraged to maintain my new lifestyle. Perhaps you re stronger and can do it with less daily support.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: I don’t recall whether soy was on or off the “gallbladder don’t” list. If it is allowed, it could be a protein source for a smoothie. A Canadian company makes Silk Unsweetened, a soy based milk and also a yoghurt that is delicious, but more of a dessert in my opinion. Almond Milk is off my list because it doesn’t agree with me. Even though I’ve had the surgery to remove my gallbladder, I still have to follow many of the rules. I portion my almonds by counting them. I give myself 10 per day at most and use them as an occasional treat. Rocky Balboa, the movie character, drank raw eggs for breakfast. GAG! I’d prefer to eat my eggs cooked and have a piece of fruit. I agree with DeeDee on protein shakes.:flowerforyou:

Tigress: We primarily use portion control as our diet strategy and measure the food BEFORE we put it on our plates. It really helps us to stay within our limits. We bought a food scale and restaurant style dishers to help with this process. The food scale came from Amazon and wasn’t expensive. The dishers cost more and came from a restaurant supply store. They’re easier to use than measuring cups, which also work.:flowerforyou:

Yoga today! Yay! DH is doing the taxes and I’m the person who steps and fetches. We’re way behind our usual schedule this year. Today is hopefully the day he gets things organized to send to the accountant.

Katla in overcast NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training when able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: Pay attention to water intake and drink frequently during the day.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Barb - There is an app for your computer from varidesk that will remind you to get up and, when your time is up, to sit back down. You can set your own time increments. I'm pretty sure I haven't figured out all of the bells and whistles, but it does give me the gentle reminder to stand up for a bit since I'm apt to get engrossed in what I'm doing and sit for too long. I found the app through another thread here on MFP about "sitting disease" which is supposedly a real thing.

Hello to all of the newcomers! I haven't been here too long, but I can't wait to check the thread every day (multiple times :blushing: ) and see what everyone is up to.

Today, I will head over to Greensboro with my daughter to see Jersey Boys. I'm really excited about seeing it, but hate that it is on a weeknight. However, I keep reminding myself that I wouldn't be seeing it at all if I hadn't gotten a TravelZoo offer that made the tickets remotely affordable. I was in Chicago when it came out and I have a picture of the marquee at the Chicago theater while it was there.

In not so good news, I took my car to have it looked at yesterday and poor Mac is getting old and wearing out in a hurry. He needs around $700-800 worth of repairs, plus new brakes, which I don't have the money for, but yet I even more don't have the payment for a new car. :sad: Mac needs to hold on for at least another year, so I'm figuring out the money and will take him for a second opinion next week.

As the other NC ladies may have heard, we had a major traffic accident in my area yesterday--within sight of my house. The interstate was closed for over seven hours! I'm curious to find out how far traffic was back up. Last night, around 10 p.m., my son came running into my room and asked permission to go down the street to watch while they uprighted the overturned tanker. After being certain that he changed into a reflective shirt (he uses them for bike riding) and had a flashlight, I sent him on his way. I was so reminded of the little 2-year-old who was so thoroughly fascinated by any and all vehicles. It made me kind of teary because I so seldom see that enthusiasm and excitement in him any more. He's always so beaten down by not feeling well and pain. And, even though I can not wait to have a space of my own, I am trying hard to relish these last few months of him living with me.

I hope everyone has an excellent day. I plan on making it a point to go stick my head out the door off and on so that I get to enjoy at least a few minutes of the warmer temps.

Carol in cloudy but warm NC
  • ccam99
    ccam99 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies. My name is Carolyn. I started re-using MFP at the beginning of February when I joined a challenge group at my gym. I love message boards and am happy to see one for the over 50 crowd. I know we have our own unique issues. :) I hit my March goals and now have a few new ones for April. At my gym the trainers have been giving us a new challenge every week and this week we will need to take a week in April and up our workout minutes by 50%. That's my goal for April along with continuing to lose lbs/inches and eat better. I've lost 9 lbs in 6 weeks thanks to these challenges and tracking my food on MFP. Happy Happy.

Carolyn - PA
  • Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Options
    Carol in NC - Thank you! I'll have to look up that program and see if I can dowload it here at work. They're pretty strict regarding what we have on our computers here, but I think it sounds worthwhile!