Any overcoming diabetes or illiness WT. LOSS success stories

Options
124»

Replies

• Mom22sue
    Mom22sue Posts: 2
    Options
    I am 46. I have been athletic and slim my whole life. I had my children late in life at 36 & 38 and develped HBP and gestational diabetes with the second pregnancy. Two years ago at my physical I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic with an A1C of 5.9. Last year I was also put on BP medicine for BP in the 150s/90s. At 5'4" and 135 pounds, I am heavy for me (+15 lbs in the past 10 years) but within a normal BMI.
    I am on MFP to keep from lying to myself about how well I am eating, to try to get off the BP medication, and to keep from becoming diabetic.
    The success on this thread is inspiring! I hope to be a success story one day!
  • Perrybarger
    Options
    Hey there, my name is Perry . I made a commitment to change my life on July 17th 2013. As far as Im concerned this is a second birthday for me. I was borderline diabetic and on tons of medication. With my 40th birthday approaching in October I reached a breaking point and knew I had to change or face going to an early grave. I set a goal for myself to lose 164lbs. Starting weight was 389lbs and my current weight is 295. I have 70lbs to go and I will do this and I will never go back! Im no longer pre diabetic and working towards getting off blood pressure. The idea of being diabetic scared the hell out of me!!! My grandmother went blind because she wouldnt properly take care of her diabetes. I had an uncle who had a portion of his leg removed. It was a huge factor in my getting serious about my weight loss!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I am 46. I have been athletic and slim my whole life. I had my children late in life at 36 & 38 and develped HBP and gestational diabetes with the second pregnancy. Two years ago at my physical I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic with an A1C of 5.9. Last year I was also put on BP medicine for BP in the 150s/90s. At 5'4" and 135 pounds, I am heavy for me (+15 lbs in the past 10 years) but within a normal BMI.
    I am on MFP to keep from lying to myself about how well I am eating, to try to get off the BP medication, and to keep from becoming diabetic.
    The success on this thread is inspiring! I hope to be a success story one day!
    Thank you so much for posting My story is VERY similar to yours (being slim and athletic or at least VERY active all of my life--until having children late in life--that's when the FAT and FLAB started piling on). I eat just about the same as I did all of my "skinny" life--but became sedentary (a.k.a. lazy--sitting on my duff more than being active). I LOVE what you said about joining mfp to keep yourself from "lying" about what you were eating. Mfp definitely helped me to see I was eating far more than I thought!

We will beat this...I just know it!
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Hey there, my name is Perry . I made a commitment to change my life on July 17th 2013. As far as Im concerned this is a second birthday for me. I was borderline diabetic and on tons of medication. With my 40th birthday approaching in October I reached a breaking point and knew I had to change or face going to an early grave. I set a goal for myself to lose 164lbs. Starting weight was 389lbs and my current weight is 295. I have 70lbs to go and I will do this and I will never go back! Im no longer pre diabetic and working towards getting off blood pressure. The idea of being diabetic scared the hell out of me!!! My grandmother went blind because she wouldnt properly take care of her diabetes. I had an uncle who had a portion of his leg removed. It was a huge factor in my getting serious about my weight loss!

Great job!! Diabetes is serious business, man. My mom passed away from a stroke caused by diabetes in February, and my uncle just passed away today from kidney failure caused by diabetes. Both had serious issues with their feet, as well. Nothing has ever inspired me to get healthy like seeing them go through what they went through.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

:drinker: :drinker::bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker:
  • emy200
    emy200 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What a great post! I will be coming back to read and reread:)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Bump
  • jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm a type one diabetic and here's my story.... I'm actually trying to spread it (as stupid and vain as it sounds... not because I feel like I've done anything great but because I didn't see any stories like this when I struggling and I feel like it would have helped me. And, if I help one person, all the struggles are totally worth it).....

Okay, story time. Two years ago I went shopping because I had a work event and none of my clothes fit. After going through the "big girl" section and actually finding a cute pair of jeans (no small task in the "big girl section"), I realized they were a little snug but I said "muffin top be damned, I'm buying them". That night I took Jinx on a four mile walk (NOT planned but a good story) and joined My Fitness Pal. The next day, I tried on those same jeans (I'm impatient) and they fit perfect! But, I was like hmmm, I'm turning 30 in just under a year, I should really get my **** together. With that, my journey began. Over the course of two years, I've lost about 80 pounds (it depends on the day), reduced my insulin intake, got myself off the cholesterol meds, and just feel better all around. Am I at my goal? No. Ideally, I would like to hit the 100lb mark and made a real plea to People mag for their "new year, new you" issue so I can showcase how challenging - but possible - it is as a diabetic to make changes (I can't tell you how many issues, doctor visits, near emergencies I have had trying to find my "new normal" and then having my new normal change because I hit another weight loss milestone). Am I stressed about it? No. Do I still have my bad image days? You betcha. The only difference is now I can look back and see how far I've come. Just this morning (and I promise this isn't an ego thing because I hate myself 98% of the time), I looked in the mirror and could not believe that I was looking at myself! I started this journey trying to get a little healthier. Instead, I not only became healthier but happier, too. Thank you to everyone who supported me! And, thank you to everyone who managed to make it through this never ending post. :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I'm a type one diabetic and here's my story.... I'm actually trying to spread it (as stupid and vain as it sounds... not because I feel like I've done anything great but because I didn't see any stories like this when I struggling and I feel like it would have helped me. And, if I help one person, all the struggles are totally worth it).....

Okay, story time. Two years ago I went shopping because I had a work event and none of my clothes fit. After going through the "big girl" section and actually finding a cute pair of jeans (no small task in the "big girl section"), I realized they were a little snug but I said "muffin top be damned, I'm buying them". That night I took Jinx on a four mile walk (NOT planned but a good story) and joined My Fitness Pal. The next day, I tried on those same jeans (I'm impatient) and they fit perfect! But, I was like hmmm, I'm turning 30 in just under a year, I should really get my **** together. With that, my journey began. Over the course of two years, I've lost about 80 pounds (it depends on the day), reduced my insulin intake, got myself off the cholesterol meds, and just feel better all around. Am I at my goal? No. Ideally, I would like to hit the 100lb mark and made a real plea to People mag for their "new year, new you" issue so I can showcase how challenging - but possible - it is as a diabetic to make changes (I can't tell you how many issues, doctor visits, near emergencies I have had trying to find my "new normal" and then having my new normal change because I hit another weight loss milestone). Am I stressed about it? No. Do I still have my bad image days? You betcha. The only difference is now I can look back and see how far I've come. Just this morning (and I promise this isn't an ego thing because I hate myself 98% of the time), I looked in the mirror and could not believe that I was looking at myself! I started this journey trying to get a little healthier. Instead, I not only became healthier but happier, too. Thank you to everyone who supported me! And, thank you to everyone who managed to make it through this never ending post. :)

:love: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :love:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!