So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• MiqGallegos
    Options
    Trying to learn to like running. I've tried it on the road, and park paths and in the gym and am not a fan. I went for a trail run on some mountain bike paths and actually enjoyed it A LOT but ended up tearing my meniscus and almost 2 months later am just to the point that I want to get back into working out and eating right.

My boyfriend does a lot of 5k's and Dualothons and Triatholons so I always feel VERY behind when it comes to running with him or asking him for advice.

So I'm throwing myself out here. If anyone has advice or is willing to add me please do!
  • Sooz1965
    Sooz1965 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sports bra just arrived...starting C25K later today (have work to do first). Does anyone run with a dog?:smile:
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Sports bra just arrived...starting C25K later today (have work to do first). Does anyone run with a dog?:smile:

My ridgeback cover approx 140miles with me in March, what you do have to take into account is that your time will be 'off' if you're running with a dog, I run trails with him (he's a large breed so I'm not personally keen on him pounding the pavements) so he's off leash most of the time, but I have to slow down and either put him back on the leash or grab his collar if there are other runners/cyclists/dogs on leads/his friends this is purely from a politeness point of view (he's an idiot that that would cause an accident with other runners and cyclists by stepping out in front of them or just not moving out their way), I don't know why other dogs are on leashes but they rarely appreciate a 52kg dog charging up to them, even if he is friendly and his friends, well we have to stop and chat and he plays for a couple of mins.
    I've really only noticed the time thing since I've been logging everything in a spreadsheet in the run up to the marathon so I can see improvements (in theory) in my running, I'm about 1.5min quicker a mile on average if he's left behind (chasing deer 10days ago has left him with a slight limp)
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Plan to follow this later :)
  • MsJourno
    MsJourno Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great advice for starters!

Bump.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

:looks around:

:laugh:

Actually, not as often as I used to. My lab is only good for about 3 miles, he is just not interested in running. My longtime, best running partner is now 11 years old. I was going too far to take him for awhile. The other day I took him for a short run and he wanted to go home about a half a mile out. This is a dog that would have run as far, as fast as I asked so for him to do that, I figured it was best to take him home. The other dog will go with me but he is working dog and isn't always off when I am :laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Wish I had seen this before I developed PF. 29o0en7.gif

I read PF as "Planet Fitness." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice thanks!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wish I had seen this before I developed PF. 29o0en7.gif

PF is awful. I think what helped me recover from my bouts with it was frequent stretching...where you put your toes up on a wall, heel on the ground, and lean into the stretch...and putting your toes on a step and hanging the rest of your foot off of the step.

I've recovered from it while doing absolutely no running...(took about four months)...and recovered from it on the other foot while also still running (just working around the issue and not trying to do too much...took about three months, but it wasn't nearly as far along as it was with the other foot before I started working on it). I'm a proponent for the latter, although if it starts to worsen or doesn't improve, then the former is almost certainly the right next step. Whatever you do, don't just ignore it and push through the pain. As bad as acute PF is, apparently chronic PF is even worse.

Good luck. PF really is awful.

ETA: more stuff

Thanks, I'm at the point where even walking is painful, so I'll be doing other activities for a while. Already got better shoes/insoles, $$$$$ ugh! And have started stretching a lot more, need to get something to wear around the house though, i'm a bare-footer.

I am not a doctor.

Now that that's out of the way, I am not convinced that going barefoot is necessarily contraindicated for PF. In fact, I routinely went barefoot on my return walks during my runs when I was actively recovering from PF. (I would run out 3-5 miles, then on the walk back, when I was still 1-2 miles out, would take off my shoes and socks and walk the rest of the way back barefoot on the crushed limestone trail.) But I'm also not one who believes that arch supports are a good thing either.

I am *still* not a doctor.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Can this get a sticky already?
  • Ecumft09
    Ecumft09 Posts: 16
    Options
    I wish I had seen this a few months ago. I have apparently developed Morton's Neuroma on both feet (left is by far the worse) and can't really do any type of cardio (walking included if for 15+ minutes long). Maybe if I had seen this a while back I would have been able to prevent it from getting worse with the correct shoes instead of making it worse by running in ill fitting shoes. Thanks for the advice. I will keep it in my back pocket for use when I have healed.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Great info, thanks.
  • MamaVeys
    MamaVeys Posts: 12
    Options
    Great info, thank you!
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Great advice, tagging for reference.
  • madds2
    madds2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much!!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Great information for new runners!:flowerforyou:
  • 2wawas
    2wawas Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Awesome info - - thanks. I've been running for about a year and found this to be of great help as I continue on my running journey!
  • Sooz1965
    Options
    You have said just what I was thinking! (Too fat to run)
  • Sooz1965
    Options
    I'd also like to add that I hear from a lot of people who think that they are too fat to run. They try it, it's hard, and they think that the reason is due to weight. It's not, running is just hard when you start. There is no way around it. The advice from OP is universal, because the issues are universal. Slow down, be patient, it WILL get easier.

When I started a year and a half ago, I weighed about 70lbs more than I do now. Since then, I have gone from agonizing through the 30 second intervals in a C25K program to my planned run today, which is about 13 miles. They won't be 13 miles that I struggle through, either. There will be times, of course (stupid hills), but most of it I will thoroughly enjoy. It really does get easier. Just stick with it and make it through the first few weeks. Don't add too much too soon (guilty). The running has made to my cardiovascular health is amazing. My blood pressure at my last checkup was around 107/67, not too shabby for a woman who still weighs over 200 lbs. Even better, I've found an activity that I dearly love and makes me feel alive.

I was referring to this post