So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the posting, I am currently working on the C25K program and while I am not in love with running (right now), I really like the idea of running! I need options that will keep me active into the future.

Loving the idea of running is fine for now. You'll probably get there sooner or later.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

Am so lucky to have someone so knowledgeable on my friend list!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Brilliant. :flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart:
  • smalacarne
    Options
    Cant thank you enough, I so needed this :)
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    As usual, great advice. I wish that I had read this BEFORE I started running.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I didn't "just go run." I would have just gone and injured myself.

Thank you for this post on running for beginners. It's valuable and very well written.
  • fleetzz
    Options
    Is there a MFP mod who can pin this?
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. Should definitely be pinned.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I run in cotton t-shirts. I have no good reason to stop. If your shirt is 10 pounds heavier after the run, do you know what? That means YOU are 10 pounds lighter. ;) So, it's just water weight. Time to rehydrate. :D

Good tips. I got a chuckle out of the shin splints topic. Mine are only now starting to ease up. It's been over a year. I attribute the change to my new minamalist running shoes. I got them against the advice of the physio guy who took x-rays of my shins when I thought they were gonna snap. Running gait analysis at the running shoe store isn't always foolproof.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I run in cotton t-shirts. I have no good reason to stop. If your shirt is 10 pounds heavier after the run, do you know what? That means YOU are 10 pounds lighter. ;) So, it's just water weight. Time to rehydrate. :D

Except for chafing. One day, you will take a shower and it will sting like hell. Then you will go out and get a stack of tech tees.
  • fleetzz
    Options

Some people chafe wearing cotton as well. I don't so can wear anything (so far), but the wicking fabric is a godsend to some.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    why is running such a thing?

puts on shoes- goes out side... runs.

Why are we over thinking EVERYTHING. it's running.

that being said- great post/write up.

Why is EVERY POST YOU MAKE talking down to people?

I haven't noted that about her? She's been most supportive and helpful, to me. Don't you think you're being a little bit extreme on that estimate?
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    This is perfect
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I haven't noted that about her? She's been most supportive and helpful, to me. Don't you think you're being a little bit extreme on that estimate?

Not really.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Not really.

O-tay...difference in perspectives, then. Moving along, so y'all can do your thing.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I still run in cotton granny panties. :tongue: Almost done training for a half, and so far no problems, although I do use a lot of BodyGlide.

Great advice here.

Re: Why don't you just go run?

Well, that's how I started. And on my first run, fractured my foot. I spent the next four weeks learning about what I had done wrong, reading the forums, and letting myself heal. Since I've learned how to run, and how important proper footwear is, I'm reasonably injury free (except for chronic IT problems not related to running :grumble: ).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    this post is excellent. nicely done
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    THIS IS AWESOME! So much beneficial information for newer runners! Thanks for posting! :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I didn't "just go run." I would have just gone and injured myself.

Thank you for this post on running for beginners. It's valuable and very well written.

Yeah, I did the whole "just go run" thing...and was then sidelined for a little over 4 months with plantar fasciitis. Adding a warm-up and cool-down and some specific plantar stretches (as well as stopping my "too much, too fast, too often" approach to running) did wonderful things for my running.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    12956698465_93c92ff0fd.jpg