So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    why is running such a thing?

puts on shoes- goes out side... runs.

Why are we over thinking EVERYTHING. it's running.

that being said- great post/write up.

Why is lifting such a thing?

Pick something heavy up. Put it down.

And yet so many people offer advice on that topic and suggest programs and ways to do it.

Huh.

:huh:

no i ask the same thing on that too... when I see them my first thought is "pick up the thing" put down the thing.. but to the same effect- there are many ways to do that- there aren't many ways to run other than to get out there and do it.

I'm not really trying to be an *kitten*- but asking for programming is different than asking about doing the thing LOL. programming is different to me than just lifting- or just running.

But no- I ask that as well when I see people ask about how do I weight lift- my first thought is "pick it up the thing- and then put it down" LOL

Its all good, but pretty much every day I see some sort of post along the lines of "I just started running and now my shin/knee/arch hurts", and we all write the same words over and over again for how to fix that, because it is basically always one of the issues in addressed in this post. Its nice to have something to link to that explains it all.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    This is great and needs to get pinned to the top of the Fitness and Exercise section. Wonderful summary.
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Great post! Especially for us newbies!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I agree, this need to be pinned to the top of the section!
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to write and post this :flowerforyou:

I have been contemplating C25K, and this is a lot of useful info!
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • kammyrios
    kammyrios Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Tomorrow is Week 2 Day 2 of c25k for me. I have committed to run a 5K in June. I am 47 years old, 5' 2", and 230 pounds. I have never run in my life. This is very helpful to me!
  • rdsnick
    rdsnick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I almost never peruse the message boards here, and today I just happened to poke around.

This. Is. Wonderful.

THANK YOU!!!!!
  • The_Angry_Fish_Guy
    The_Angry_Fish_Guy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just stay at home and watch TV from the couch.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    I have a question.. I've been running for about a year now and doing other workouts.
    My endurance has improved but my time just doesn't seem to be improving.
    Cardiovascularly speaking, I'm still very weak. I blame that on me smoking from age 13-30. Yes I started young sigh.
    My heartrate is high when I'm just trying to maintain pace (175bpm and climbing) I have to slow down a lot to get my heartrate down.
    Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

What is your weekly running schedule like? How many days/miles how fast etc..
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Why is lifting such a thing?

Pick something heavy up. Put it down.

And yet so many people offer advice on that topic and suggest programs and ways to do it.

Huh.

:huh:

no i ask the same thing on that too... when I see them my first thought is "pick up the thing" put down the thing.. but to the same effect- there are many ways to do that- there aren't many ways to run other than to get out there and do it.

I'm not really trying to be an *kitten*- but asking for programming is different than asking about doing the thing LOL. programming is different to me than just lifting- or just running.

But no- I ask that as well when I see people ask about how do I weight lift- my first thought is "pick it up the thing- and then put it down" LOL

2zz4vbk.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Its all good, but pretty much every day I see some sort of post along the lines of "I just started running and now my shin/knee/arch hurts", and we all write the same words over and over again for how to fix that, because it is basically always one of the issues in addressed in this post. Its nice to have something to link to that explains it all.
    :drinker:
    yeah I see it to- I stay out of those for various reasons... you're better than me- I can stomach the lifting ones most of the time (sometimes I can't)- but my brain goes to the same place for both answers!

But I do agree- having it all written out to reference is good- and it is a great write up-but I still want to say JUST GO RUN LOL Much like occasionally I say JUST GO LIFT stop over thinking it. sigh- we were all young and naive once too and someone helped us then- can't be to mad- had to learn somewhere!!!)

(yes I'm a snarky dry- sarcastic person in real life too- all day LOL)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Great write up.

Would like to add that when you start out if you can find a running buddy/group at or just slightly above your level then they are worth their weight in gold.
  • brandyjones1991
    brandyjones1991 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • occsunray
    occsunray Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good info! Thank you!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Awesome...

...and in.

ETA: I used the "too much, too fast, too soon" method to get into running a couple of years ago...

...and then I did a lot of work to address my PF.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    well done....in
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Why is EVERY POST YOU MAKE talking down to people?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Edit to add "listen to Carson and/or the Daves" and pin this
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    Edit to add "listen to Carson and/or the Daves" and pin this

ha! noted and edited, or would be edited if I could

Anyway, specific questions? Ask here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/94-long-distance-runners

And listen to Carson/the Daves