19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    why is running such a thing?

puts on shoes- goes out side... runs.

Why are we over thinking EVERYTHING. it's running.

that being said- great post/write up.

Why is lifting such a thing?

Pick something heavy up. Put it down.

And yet so many people offer advice on that topic and suggest programs and ways to do it.

Huh.

:huh:

no i ask the same thing on that too... when I see them my first thought is "pick up the thing" put down the thing.. but to the same effect- there are many ways to do that- there aren't many ways to run other than to get out there and do it.

I'm not really trying to be an *kitten*- but asking for programming is different than asking about doing the thing LOL. programming is different to me than just lifting- or just running.

But no- I ask that as well when I see people ask about how do I weight lift- my first thought is "pick it up the thing- and then put it down" LOL

Its all good, but pretty much every day I see some sort of post along the lines of "I just started running and now my shin/knee/arch hurts", and we all write the same words over and over again for how to fix that, because it is basically always one of the issues in addressed in this post. Its nice to have something to link to that explains it all.

I have spent a year and a half on the Couch to 5k forum telling people to

-Slow down
    -Get fitted for shoes
    -No, Slow WAY down
    -Maybe try warming up/stretching
    -Slower than that

This is AMAZING.

One thing - there are some people who really, really don't have access to running stores. Either they just don't have the money or they live in the middle of nowhere without a car. I find this to be a good resource for a last resort:

https://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/content.jsp?contentId=200098

Also, marathon training is something a new runner should hold off on for a couple of years. I'm speaking very generally here, but a lot of people seem to consider it some sort of necessary accomplishment. It's just better to let your body adapt to being a runner first.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Tomorrow is Week 2 Day 2 of c25k for me. I have committed to run a 5K in June. I am 47 years old, 5' 2", and 230 pounds. I have never run in my life. This is very helpful to me!

I just finished Day 2 of Week 3 of my C25K. I've also committed to "The Color Run" which I believe is coming here in August. I'm 54 and this will be my first 5K although I've been doing some running here/there on the TM. We can do this together and thanks to the OP for the great info!
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your advice on water. I hate when people pretty much treat it like a one size fits all kind of thing. I know for me, I drink a ton of water because I have a medication I have to take that causes dry mouth and I take a water bottle on even short runs.

I guess hardly anything in running or even health and fitness in general is truly a one size fits all but it's awesome to see some great, open minded advice all in one place!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Commenting so I can refer folks here. Great job putting it together.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the posting, I am currently working on the C25K program and while I am not in love with running (right now), I really like the idea of running! I need options that will keep me active into the future.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RaeBella13
    RaeBella13 Posts: 153
    Options

Why is EVERY POST YOU MAKE talking down to people?

THIS. I noticed that too. Not very nice.
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options

Why is lifting such a thing?

Pick something heavy up. Put it down.

And yet so many people offer advice on that topic and suggest programs and ways to do it.

Huh.

:huh:

no i ask the same thing on that too... when I see them my first thought is "pick up the thing" put down the thing.. but to the same effect- there are many ways to do that- there aren't many ways to run other than to get out there and do it.

I'm not really trying to be an *kitten*- but asking for programming is different than asking about doing the thing LOL. programming is different to me than just lifting- or just running.

But no- I ask that as well when I see people ask about how do I weight lift- my first thought is "pick it up the thing- and then put it down" LOL

you may not be trying to be an *kitten* but you are sounding really full of yourself...

Edited to add: if you would look at all the people thanking the OP for the information or asking for this to be a sticky or bumping so that they have it in their threads....maybe you would understand that for some people this is solid helpful advice. So the OP has actually provided something for people on here. Unlike you.....
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I only run if I'm being chased.

Having said that, this is great information for those of you on MFP that do like to run and I would love to see this post stickied.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Awesome info.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    This needs to be a sticky.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Bump for my topics :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

it's not. it just seems that way since I don't' add a lot of smiley things and what not in my posts. Shrug- I try to be as straight forward as possible. regardless- clearly my sense of humor and how I answer questions isn't so welcome with the runners- I shall take my self else where and bid you fairwell...

(an no- the "Great write up" wasn't sarcastic- it IS a great write up)
    Edited to add: if you would look at all the people thanking the OP for the information or asking for this to be a sticky or bumping so that they have it in their threads....maybe you would understand that for some people this is solid helpful advice. So the OP has actually provided something for people on here. Unlike you.....

I did say it was a great write up- that actually wasn't snark!
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

it's not. it just seems that way since I don't' add a lot of smiley things and what not in my posts. Shrug- I try to be as straight forward as possible. regardless- clearly my sense of humor and how I answer questions isn't so welcome with the runners- I shall take my self else where and bid you fairwell...

But your attitude isn't just with "the runners"
    It's in EVERY thread I see you post on.

It has to be exhausting..