So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• doug_pierce
    doug_pierce Posts: 255
    Options
    Well done - just commenting to get onto my feed.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    I'm so glad I didn't "just go run." I would have just gone and injured myself.

Thank you for this post on running for beginners. It's valuable and very well written.

Yeah, I did the whole "just go run" thing...and was then sidelined for a little over 4 months with plantar fasciitis. Adding a warm-up and cool-down and some specific plantar stretches (as well as stopping my "too much, too fast, too often" approach to running) did wonderful things for my running.

Ugh...plantar fasciitis...I feel your pain there. I had the same experience about a year ago and it killed to walk for quite a while, definitely won't make the "too much, too soon" mistake again!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Just to get this on my feed. Great Info. I am not one of those lucky "just go run" folks. I will break my already weak knee
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    bump
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Very good post. I have been a runner out of necessity in the past, but last year took it up for fitness and have gotten to the point that I really enjoy it. I'm still very much a beginner, but I'm running my first official 5K in May. This post is full of good intel, running really is a fairly complex thing when you start getting into the small stuff.

Rigger
  • agronx
    agronx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good information to keep handy. I want to be a runner, however, my body does not. I want to change this.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Good information to keep handy. I want to be a runner, however, my body does not. I want to change this.

Your body does want to be a runner. You're probably not going slow enough to go far enough to realize this. Get fitted for good shoes!
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bhchrist
    bhchrist Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Excellent Post. Thanks.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Than you! :heart:
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I run in cotton t-shirts. I have no good reason to stop. If your shirt is 10 pounds heavier after the run, do you know what? That means YOU are 10 pounds lighter. ;) So, it's just water weight. Time to rehydrate. :D

Except for chafing. One day, you will take a shower and it will sting like hell. Then you will go out and get a stack of tech tees.

Interestingly, I chafe when I wear just a sports bra, or a tank top. I will absolutely address the problem if it ever comes up again.
  • strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Love this, thank you for taking the time to share. I have been trying to figure this out for a while now...I am jut getting I to running and love it, still trying to figure things out though.
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Great advice - thank you. Last year I walked the 5k R4L and said that 2014 would be the year I would go faster than a walk! This advice is going to be so helpful - I've downloaded the C25K podcasts and have got until July to slowly get moving! Got my running shoes, which I have been walking in so I know that they feel good. Very helpful and timely post.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I run in cotton t-shirts. I have no good reason to stop. If your shirt is 10 pounds heavier after the run, do you know what? That means YOU are 10 pounds lighter. ;) So, it's just water weight. Time to rehydrate. :D

Except for chafing. One day, you will take a shower and it will sting like hell. Then you will go out and get a stack of tech tees.

Interestingly, I chafe when I wear just a sports bra, or a tank top. I will absolutely address the problem if it ever comes up again.

I used to do that until CarsonRuns pointed out that I was holding my arms too tightly to my body.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Brilliant. Deserves to be a 'sticky'.
  • changingL1sa
    changingL1sa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Awesome
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
  • wrengoldenrod
    wrengoldenrod Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thanks!
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    From a long runner starting from scratch, in for the awesomeness that is in this post :smile: