Am I the only one who does this?

Options
Hey everyone! Hope your day is going well!

So here is my thing,I do a lot of home work outs, so when I actually go to the gym, I go there to Get.Stuff. Done. I don't go there to flirt or hang out, I go there to sweat. And a lot. The thing is, I go to the gym at my university and it's filled with girls with their hair done all nice and cute, make up on, and some cute matching outfit (Once I saw a girl on the bike in heels. No lie) and they glare at me for having the audacity to show up in a baggy shirt and shorts with my hair pulled back out of my way and either in a messy ponytail or braid.

So my question is, am I the only one who does this? Should I start dressing up? Are the days of showing up at the gym to work out over? I could really use some feedback that Im not alone in this lol Do you guys get this too?

Thanks!!
-Rachael

Replies

• apgabriel915
    apgabriel915 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do you really want to be the girl in heels at the gym? No? Didn't think so. I'm always in work out clothes, baggy shirts with my hair up and a headband. You aren't there for them and clearly they are (I'm guessing) cardio bunnies that just HAVE to have that summer body that they've worked for since April 1st. Wear what you want to wear and don't worry about those girls. Clearly they don't have your dedication.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I live in a college town and my gym is full of girls like that. Some are there to workout, some are there to meet guys. Depends on the motive for going. I go to sweat and workout, and so do lots of other women. My only request is DO NOT wear perfume to the gym. Please! :noway:
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean.

Usually three types of people I see at the gym.

1. Those who come dressed up, most likely wanting attention.

2. Those who go to the gym just to say they went. Can usually point them out by how long it takes them to actually do anything, they also love sitting on the *#&%(&*@#%!!!!! benches/machines or whatever playing a damn game on their phone.

3. People who are actually there to actually bust their butt and work out.

I hate the #2 group with an absolute passion. At least group #1 brings in some good eye candy/motiviation (call me shallow but it's the truth) and they keep away from anything that may mess up their look or get in the way of poeple who actually try to work.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    All the women at my gym are pretty focused headphones in, running, jogging, lifting, and climbing. Only exception I've seen are in the sauna.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people go before/after work and are already dressed up, some dress up to give themselves confidence and motivation, some go to check out who's on the market. I even checked out the women that are dressed head to toe in lululemon. But in the end, I'm there to sweat, so I go in Walmart joggers and a t-shirt (lately I've been wearing my 11 year old's hand-me-downs). I did get self conscious once in yoga when I realized that I'm the only one NOT wearing yoga pants and a skimpy yoga shirt, but I got over it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

So here is my thing,I do a lot of home work outs, so when I actually go to the gym, I go there to Get.Stuff. Done. I don't go there to flirt or hang out, I go there to sweat. And a lot. The thing is, I go to the gym at my university and it's filled with girls with their hair done all nice and cute, make up on, and some cute matching outfit (Once I saw a girl on the bike in heels. No lie) and they glare at me for having the audacity to show up in a baggy shirt and shorts with my hair pulled back out of my way and either in a messy ponytail or braid.

So my question is, am I the only one who does this? Should I start dressing up? Are the days of showing up at the gym to work out over? I could really use some feedback that Im not alone in this lol Do you guys get this too?

Thanks!!
    -Rachael

my hair is done
    my make up is on
    and I'm always in a cute matching out fit

I can dead lift almost 300 lbs.

guess I don't work out?

show up how you want- and do what you want- who cares why they are there as long as they aren't in your way talking while you want to use equipment.

stop snarking on chicks who don't want to do what you want to do. I work REALLY effing hard. I also NEVER step out of my house looking like rubbish. I also hate baggy clothes- I also have short hair- which means it must be done- or I like like a 6 year old little boy.
    I also work in close proximity to my job- which means I run into people at work.

You focus on YOU. If you like your baggy clothes- then wear them. I hate them- don't own them. won't work out in them. That's fine. My clothing choices- have absolutely ZERO impact on you.

Hard work has nothing to do with your appearance.

So again- focus on you and unless yappy cell phone girls are in your way- just forget about it and realize you have a bad *kitten* bod you earned and are proud of in the summer time.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I wear a bunch of mismatched clothes. Purple velvet kinda sweat pants. Sweatshirts (because my one pair of basic black work out pants doesn't have pockets), old t-shirts and tank tops.

Don't worry about them!
  • str1ne
    str1ne Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Thanks!!
    -Rachael

my hair is done
    my make up is on

guess I don't work out?

show up how you want- and do what you want- who cares why they are there as long as they aren't in your way talking while you want to use equipment.

stop snarking on chicks who don't want to do what you want to do. I work REALLY effing hard. I also NEVER step out of my house looking like rubbish. I also hate baggy clothes- I also have short hair- which means it must be done- or I like like a 6 year old little boy.
    I also work in close proximity to my job- which means I run into people at work.

You focus on YOU. If you like your baggy clothes- then wear them. I hate them- don't own them. won't work out in them. That's fine. My clothing choices- have absolutely ZERO impact on you.

So again- focus on you and unless yappy cell phone girls are in your way- just forget about it and realize you have a bad *kitten* bod you earned and are proud of in the summer time.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You know, out of reading this whole thread, all I can say is that I am really impressed by that girl on a bike in heels. Have you ever tried that? Now THAT'S prepping for the club. What a trooper.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Hell no. I dress for comfort and to get my *kitten* done.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Jesus God No!!! please don't. You sound smart and now you are considering keeping up with the Poser Joneses? (I'm shaking you awake now)

Ok, now that you are awake, keep working out like you're supposed to. The streets and restaurants and clubs and offices and parties are for dressing up. the gym is for stinking and sweating and getting it done.

Keep getting it done girl. :bigsmile:
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

Thanks!!
    -Rachael

my hair is done
    my make up is on

guess I don't work out?

Jo's right too. I have to look it from the other side sometimes as well.
  • singmyheartout4you
    Options
    You know, out of reading this whole thread, all I can say is that I am really impressed by that girl on a bike in heels. Have you ever tried that? Now THAT'S prepping for the club. What a trooper.
    I know right! And they weren't even sensible heels. I got to give her props now, I never thought of that lol
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Thanks!!
    -Rachael

my hair is done
    my make up is on

guess I don't work out?

This! Do you!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Clearly they don't have your dedication.

Really? You want to go there.

I pretty much always have on makeup when I'm training (because I've just come from work). I always have on at least a loosely-coordinated outfit, completely with matching headbands and sports bras. I'm usually wearing something I look awesome in (my Hulk and Superman tanks are favorites, as are my compression pants). And I squat nearly twice my body weight. When you can top that, you can talk to me about my lack of dedication.

As for the OP, yeah, judging by your pic, I have a hard time believing you're the hard-core, couldn't care less about your appearance type.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    There's a gif about this...I don't know where to find it. Girl in high heels on treadmill falling on her *kitten*.

I think it's fine to look good if you want but I think there are limits, mostly for your own safety. No hanging jewelry, no high heels. I can't do make up because it runs and gets in my eyes.

I guess I look cute because it makes me happy to wear matching or color coordinated outfits. I match my socks to my shirt sometimes. But I am not there to hook up or flirt with anyone. I am there to work out and maybe make a few friends so that when I need a spotter I can ask someone.

I do the braid too. but my hair is really long so....
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

It really can't be that hard. First of all it's stationary. Secondly only your forefoot is on the pedal. Now if she were on an elliptical or running on the treadmill at an 8 minute mile pace I'd be more impressed.
  • singmyheartout4you
    Options
    man, some people are really getting nasty about this post.
    Chill guys. No need for personal attacks or taking things as such. All I was saying was I was tired of being judged for wearing what I want at the gym. If you want to dress up, fine. That doesn't mean you aren't working out too. I understand coordinating. I understand being able to look in the mirror when you are tired and getting that extra boost seeing you look good. Thats not what this post was about. Its about the girls that spend the whole time with full on make up and hair done and are clearly not trying to break a sweat so they don't mess it up. Who pose on the machines.

I would appreciate it that if you have any nasty, snarky or snide comments about me or anyone else that you keep them to yourself. This world is mean enough, we don't need people adding to it.
    However, I do find it unfair to say that people who dont dress up look like rubbish. See, thats an attack on us. And if you dont want to be judged for dressing up, dont judge for those that dont.

As for the comment about my profile pic. I work out for me, not for you. Just because I am not aiming for the same body type as you, doesn't mean I don't work out. Also, its a picture clearly intentionally taken. That doesn't mean it reflects me at the gym
    Thank you for reading
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! I must admit, if I go after work I don't take my make up off, but then I don't exactly wear a "full face". However, having to wait for access to stuff because (usually) girls are sat texting and playing with their phone, peddling half assed I may actually scream.
    Heels in a gym is seriously impressive haha- I once saw a girl in Ugg boots and pink velvet "jogging" suit and thought that would win hands down at the "stupid gym attire" competition. Clearly not. While I'm having my rant time, can I just have a moan about those girls in lycra hot pants and bra top, with actual cheek hanging out, that just stand around for an hour and barely lift their water bottle, and count the 5 steps to the gym as their workout. Ahh, I needed that moan!
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I get up early and go to my gym to avoid this population. I like as little distraction as possible so I can focus