Am I the only one who does this?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't even go to a gym, so I have no idea what others do.

But for me personally, I'm gonna be honest, if I leave my house I will have on makeup. Even if it is barely noticeable at all, I'll have it on. And even when exercising, I need to match. I just have to. It's a thing. I absolutely don't judge others who don't, but I do.

If I go on a walk or bike ride I generally throw on a t-shirt usually black or grey, and compression style shorts of capris that are black with a color down the side, and then I wear socks and sneakers to coordinate. No I don't have endless array of colors...I have silver/blue and black/hot pink.

The only way I'd ever think anything remotely bad of someone else is if they were truly dirty/smelly (and NOT just from sweating during the workout), or wearing dingy yellowed formerly white bras and panties that were visible. Period.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    Sometimes I wear cute matchy spandex...but that's mostly cause I like checking myself out in the mirror.
  • singmyheartout4you
    Options
    The only way I'd ever think anything remotely bad of someone else is if they were truly dirty/smelly (and NOT just from sweating during the workout), or wearing dingy yellowed formerly white bras and panties that were visible. Period.

Im eternally grateful I havent seen this.. 0.o
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I look good at the gym. I update my Jefit app between sets while sitting on equipment. I walk on the treadmill at 1.2 miles per hour for 20 minutes after leg day. You should see the ladies looking at me then.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Hope your day is going well!

So here is my thing,I do a lot of home work outs, so when I actually go to the gym, I go there to Get.Stuff. Done. I don't go there to flirt or hang out, I go there to sweat. And a lot. The thing is, I go to the gym at my university and it's filled with girls with their hair done all nice and cute, make up on, and some cute matching outfit (Once I saw a girl on the bike in heels. No lie) and they glare at me for having the audacity to show up in a baggy shirt and shorts with my hair pulled back out of my way and either in a messy ponytail or braid.

So my question is, am I the only one who does this? Should I start dressing up? Are the days of showing up at the gym to work out over? I could really use some feedback that Im not alone in this lol Do you guys get this too?

Thanks!!
    -Rachael
    Lots of people look mad or like they are 'glaring' when they are exerting themselves.

^ True! Sometimes my husband thinks I'm mad at him just because I'm thinking about something.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym all dolled up like you're going to a photo shoot is stupid... That's like going to McDonald's, ordering a super-sized big mac meal and getting diet coke to drink. It just doesn't make sense.

Dress for comfort and get to work. Simple as that.
    Yeah, that's like jumping out of an airplane, but bringing a parachute with you.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Delete: Quoted myself by accident.
  • kimberlyyirsa
    kimberlyyirsa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nope. I wear what's comfortable and my hair goes into a bun. I don't look cute when I workout.

But who cares how they look at you? Do your thing. The gym isn't the place to be cute. It's the place to go to make sure you look cute everywhere else!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I dress cute. I wear makeup. (I do not, however, wear heels.) I try to look my best all the time. So yeah, you'll see me lifting weights with a french manicure, or dripping sweat on my color-coordinated top and leggings. But I'm also there, 6 days a week. I work my *kitten* off, lifting heavy, HIIT training, for at least 90 minutes a day.

But as far as girls glaring at you for wearing baggy clothes, aren't you doing the same? Judging them for what they wear to the gym?

I can only suggest that you worry about the one person who counts when you're working out. And that's yourself. Don't worry about anyone else at the gym. They don't care, and neither should you.

I dont glare back. I just look away and go on with my day. So i dont see how im judging them.
    I had a best friend/ gym buddy who came with me and she always matched but she was clearly there to work. Those people dont bug me. Its the girl walking almost at a stand still that shoot me dirty looks while i run around the track (the track circles the whole gym).

Next time smile and say "hi".

Same can be said for them?

But you aren't them. You control your actions not theirs. This girl vs. girl "thing" in society needs to stop. We aren't competition. We should be helping each other, being friends with each other. Sometimes a small simple gesture like a smile can make a big difference to another woman (or person in general). Maybe she's thinking you are judging her for not running. Take the first step, be the better person and all that stuff.
  • kimberlyyirsa
    kimberlyyirsa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    To look cute everywhere else! That's my philosophy! Hair up, no makeup...but I so wear matching outfits because I want the bod that I'm working so hard for to look good!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

So here is my thing,I do a lot of home work outs, so when I actually go to the gym, I go there to Get.Stuff. Done. I don't go there to flirt or hang out, I go there to sweat. And a lot. The thing is, I go to the gym at my university and it's filled with girls with their hair done all nice and cute, make up on, and some cute matching outfit (Once I saw a girl on the bike in heels. No lie) and they glare at me for having the audacity to show up in a baggy shirt and shorts with my hair pulled back out of my way and either in a messy ponytail or braid.

So my question is, am I the only one who does this? Should I start dressing up? Are the days of showing up at the gym to work out over? I could really use some feedback that Im not alone in this lol Do you guys get this too?

Thanks!!
    -Rachael

my hair is done
    my make up is on
    and I'm always in a cute matching out fit

I can dead lift almost 300 lbs.

guess I don't work out?

show up how you want- and do what you want- who cares why they are there as long as they aren't in your way talking while you want to use equipment.

stop snarking on chicks who don't want to do what you want to do. I work REALLY effing hard. I also NEVER step out of my house looking like rubbish. I also hate baggy clothes- I also have short hair- which means it must be done- or I like like a 6 year old little boy.
    I also work in close proximity to my job- which means I run into people at work.

You focus on YOU. If you like your baggy clothes- then wear them. I hate them- don't own them. won't work out in them. That's fine. My clothing choices- have absolutely ZERO impact on you.

Hard work has nothing to do with your appearance.

So again- focus on you and unless yappy cell phone girls are in your way- just forget about it and realize you have a bad *kitten* bod you earned and are proud of in the summer time.

I like this reply.

I also like to look good, just because it's the gym why should I suddenly wear baggy clothes?!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym all dolled up like you're going to a photo shoot is stupid... That's like going to McDonald's, ordering a super-sized big mac meal and getting diet coke to drink. It just doesn't make sense.

but it kinda does if i need protein, fat, and carbs, but want to save on calories and sugar.

OP, there are other people in your gym?

Agreed. Also, I prefer the taste of diet soda over regular soda.

Just wanted to add that I think Big Macs are kinda gross. I prefer this Wendy's burger with bacon and Asiago cheese.

ciabattabaconcheeseburgerpromo.jpg

And yeah, I'm probably buying either Coke Zero or unsweetened tea to save room for a frosty. *shrugs*

Oh, man! Now I want this! :smile:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    Your gym allows people to wear heels?

Maybe it's a Planet Fitness?

lmfao!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    there are a ton of people who go to the gym to hang out. thats fine as long as you arent gabbing 5 - 10 minutes between sets. the sad part is that is usually the case. i go to the gym and say hi to the lady at the counter, ask her to hold my drink in the fridge till its cardio time and give the standard guy head nod to maybe 3 or 4 people and then i zone out.

I wear clothes that are clean and matching is a bonus. im not worried what others think but i may stare at someone doing an exercise if 1) i think i can incorporate it / see if its a better form than what i do or 2) as a precaution that they may be too macho to admit they need spotted.

Ive had people screaming my name to get my attention but when Faith No More is on the headphones you have to do better to get me.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    meh

I can get in a fantastic weight lifting session and not sweat all that much, how much you sweat is NOT necessarily an indicator of how hard you work...my mascara does just fine.

OP i suggest you not care.

I dont.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options

Thanks!!
    -Rachael
    Lots of people look mad or like they are 'glaring' when they are exerting themselves.

This reminds of Bill Cosby's standup routine about his kids arguing with each other and saying, "he's looking at me." "New rule! No one is to look at anyone ever again!" Seems reasonable.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    So if you're just there to GET.STUFF.DONE. then why do you have so much time to analyze ever little aspect of the other women around you?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I dress cute. I wear makeup. (I do not, however, wear heels.) I try to look my best all the time. So yeah, you'll see me lifting weights with a french manicure, or dripping sweat on my color-coordinated top and leggings. But I'm also there, 6 days a week. I work my *kitten* off, lifting heavy, HIIT training, for at least 90 minutes a day.

But as far as girls glaring at you for wearing baggy clothes, aren't you doing the same? Judging them for what they wear to the gym?

I can only suggest that you worry about the one person who counts when you're working out. And that's yourself. Don't worry about anyone else at the gym. They don't care, and neither should you.

I dont glare back. I just look away and go on with my day. So i dont see how im judging them.
    I had a best friend/ gym buddy who came with me and she always matched but she was clearly there to work. Those people dont bug me. Its the girl walking almost at a stand still that shoot me dirty looks while i run around the track (the track circles the whole gym).

But they're not on here making a thread about you.
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter what someone else is wearing or doing? Some women need the coordinating outfits and make up to feel confident enough to go in the gym. Why do women tend to tear each other down instead of support each other? You aren't competing for attention, as you said you're there to work out, so it shouldn't bother you.

I've had my hair & makeup done while at the gym because I usually go after running errands or work & I promise it wasn't for attention or to make others look bad. If you wanna wear it, do it, if not, you don't have to :)
  • singmyheartout4you
    Options

But you aren't them. You control your actions not theirs. This girl vs. girl "thing" in society needs to stop. We aren't competition. We should be helping each other, being friends with each other. Sometimes a small simple gesture like a smile can make a big difference to another woman (or person in general). Maybe she's thinking you are judging her for not running. Take the first step, be the better person and all that stuff.

Okay, this might work for a certain type of girl, but some love that competition. I dont care so I walk away, but i know from experience that they will sometimes just be as rude if you try to talk to them. Why? Because it probably makes them feel better about themselves or maybe they are just having a bad day. Not all girls are like this, but Ive met my fair share. So unless I have to interact with a girl that give me dirty looks, then yeah, Ill go up and try and talk. If for nothing else, then for a peacful enviroment. But if I can avoid unneeded confrintation, then I will. But im not going to take time to try and befriend someone who has made signals she doesnt want to be. But some girls are just mean, and I hope you think this over before generilizing everyone. Im not trying too. I know some girls might not mean it so i dont bother. But if you take the time to wait to see if im making eye contact with me because i wasnt looking and just felt like i was being watched (i dont know if you know what i mean. Not the selfconsious "someone might be watching" just the "why do i feel like im being stared at) and she waits to see when inlook over to look me up and down oe snear, you really truely believe this type pf girl wants to be friends?