Bye Bye Poo

Options
So, I jumped on the cleanse bandwagon by doing the 10 day green smoothie challenge. I figured it would be a healthy option because it was actual food. The book contained 10 recipes (greens, fruit, flax seed) and you have the smoothie for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and healthy snacks in between (boiled eggs, raw nuts, crunchy veggies and fruit). This sounded safe and healthy enough but since I've been off, Ive gained the weight back and cannot poop without assistance of a laxative or something. I don't know what to do, but I have learned my lesson.

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    So rather than go to the doctor for frequent constipation, you do a cleanse.

Right.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear this. However, I think you will recover in time. Fiber and fats to get things moving. Also lots of water. Laxatives if you need them. Go to the doc if things don't change in a couple of weeks. That's my .02 anyway.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Can the mods make this thread a sticky so we can refer to it whenever someone makes another thread asking about cleanses?

ETA: LOL at "sticky" in the context of this thread.
  • prattiger65
    Options

Right.

While I agree that cleanses are bad juju, reread the OP, he didn't get stopped up until after the cleanse. He learned his lesson, no flogging necessary.
  • prattiger65
    Options
    Can the mods make this thread a sticky so we can refer to it whenever someone makes another thread asking about cleanses?

Lol....I had the same thought....about the sticky that is.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Urgh! Nightmare! Yeah agree on the fats & fibre to 'move things along'. Be careful on not becoming reliant on the laxatives either though as they can bring on their own lot of trouble. Go see your GP if things don't resolve themselves soon.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    While not advocating a juice cleanse I am nevertheless surprised by this. It is not that you ate nothing and were drinking only juice? You ot fibre and you ate nuts, veggies and fruits? For how many days did you have this problem? I am very itneresting in finding out what caused it.

Hope it gets better soon.
    Stef.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Right.

While I agree that cleanses are bad juju, reread the OP, he didn't get stopped up until after the cleanse. He learned his lesson, no flogging necessary.

Yes, yes I misread.

I concur, make this a sticky.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    1. Increase your water intake (if it is low to begin with then increase significantly).
    2. Eat more fruit and veggies, especially those high in fibre.
    3. Ensure you are getting enough fat in your diet.
    4. If the above doesn't work then take actual laxatives.
    5. Rinse and repeat.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Sometimes in life we have to pay for the things we do. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Well, at least you got rid of the toxins, right?

(Any chance you could name one of them you got rid of? No? Dammit.)

But seriously, I hope things get moving better for you. Try blending some high quality butter and MCT or coconut oil into some coffee. The increased fats and the coffee can do amazing things for some people's regularity.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You really don't want to go down the laxative route too often.
    Figs and all-bran over 2 days should help. Drink plenty of water, especially if you have been taking laxatives. You need fluid.
    Really hope you feel better soon.
  • N3rdyBird_
    N3rdyBird_ Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had this happen, If you switched back to normal foods after the cleans it sends a shock to your system and that is why you're all backed up. After a juice cleanse, even just a ten day one, you need to slowly work food back in. In other words sticking to a leafy green raw food diet and adding other things each day.

Now for the constipation aspect, there are options that don't include taking a laxative.
    1. Buy some prunes and soak a few of them in water over night. Then eat the prunes the next morning and drink a lot of water.
    2. DRINK A BUNCH OF WATER
    3. Make some tea, cut up a lemon into quarters and juice them lemon into the tea. After letting the tea steep for a while, 20-30 minutes, drink the tea (I suggest reheating it also). Adding honey also helps.
    5. Chia seeds mixed in water and add flavor of your choice, chia seeds when added to water have a the consistency of pudding) fyi, and eat that. Again, with plenty of water

You should only reply upon a laxative if you are experiencing cramps. If not your body will regulate it's self and the laxatives will only hamper that process.

Things that will not help you right now

Process foods
    Over cooked veggies
    Sugars
    and Eggs
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options

This is an excellent idea.
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    *cough*verystrongblackcoffee*cough*
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how is a green smoothie cleanse 'actual food'

OP - good luck dislodging the crap out of your intestines….I assume the pain will be similar to giving birth ….
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Drink some Smooth Move herbal tea.
  • jmhoracek
    jmhoracek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kombucha can also be very helpful --lots of different kinds are available in the organic area of most groceries.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    have you tried psyllium husk powder aka metamucil? That should help you regulate.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Well, at least you got rid of the toxins, right?

(Any chance you could name one of them you got rid of? No? Dammit.)

But seriously, I hope things get moving better for you. Try blending some high quality butter and MCT or coconut oil into some coffee. The increased fats and the coffee can do amazing things for some people's regularity.
    the everlasting toxic name quest.