thanks much! Great info
  • sebkiwinaspensmama
    sebkiwinaspensmama Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is another brilliant post more people should be looking at! :drinker:
  • WisheeNY
    WisheeNY Posts: 72 Member
    Options

In this link you posted, which number is the amount of calories you should be eating in a day? Is it the one that says BMR? That's way more than what MFP tells me. This is confusing :(

slow down and actually read through the page. don't just plug in numbers and look for quick answers.

I didn't do that. I just still don't understand what it all means even after searching around and reading the page.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. The first piece of advice in this list is:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.

My question: So what am I supposed to do? I'm guessing the answer is not "Quit MFP because it's inaccurate"?

I put in my weight, activity level, and how much I want to lose per week. MFP said I could have 1,860 calories a day and lose 1 lb per week.

I synced it with FitBit and so when I exercise, MFP adds more calories to my bank.

What about this situation should I not trust and how can I correct for whatever issues it might have?

Thanks!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Tagged because awesome.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.

My question: So what am I supposed to do? I'm guessing the answer is not "Quit MFP because it's inaccurate"?

I put in my weight, activity level, and how much I want to lose per week. MFP said I could have 1,860 calories a day and lose 1 lb per week.

I synced it with FitBit and so when I exercise, MFP adds more calories to my bank.

What about this situation should I not trust and how can I correct for whatever issues it might have?

Thanks!

All of the calculators out there, MFP included, give estimates. The reason I toss that information out is for people that are allergic to reading the rest of the information that MFP provides when they set up their accounts.

For example, 22 year old girl comes here.. wanting to lose her freshmen 15... so she puts in that she's sedentary, wants to lose 2lbs a week (because OMG it's bikini season soon!) and then gets set with a 1200 calorie goal.

Having set 1lb loss and pairing with a fitbit, you're doin it right.

That being said; these are ALL estimations. That's why I end my wall with the whole spill about taking 6 weeks or more to figure out your own information.
  • trogalicious
    Options

In this link you posted, which number is the amount of calories you should be eating in a day? Is it the one that says BMR? That's way more than what MFP tells me. This is confusing :(

slow down and actually read through the page. don't just plug in numbers and look for quick answers.

I didn't do that. I just still don't understand what it all means even after searching around and reading the page.
    BMR. Basal Metabolic Rate.
    How many calories your body burns to just.. well.. exist on a daily basis. When your liver is churning away down inside you, it takes fuel. Calories.
    That's what it means.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Easy!

Take info from Fitbit.com for 1-2 months, find out what average daily burn is.
    Set up MFP custom to reflect that number with a deficit.
    So my average burn in fitbit for the last 2 years is 2400ish.
    To lose a pound, provided i believe in simple math for weight loss, i'd eat 1900/day.
    ;D
  • trogalicious
    Options

Thanks!

Easy!

Take info from Fitbit.com for 1-2 months, find out what average daily burn is.
    Set up MFP custom to reflect that number with a deficit.
    So my average burn in fitbit for the last 2 years is 2400ish.
    To lose a pound, provided i believe in simple math for weight loss, i'd eat 1900/day.
    ;D

Sv7nCMW.gif
  • rachelguy
    rachelguy Posts: 24
    Options
    bump :drinker:
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Bump... This is golden.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • attybell
    attybell Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    this is great b/c this has soo been me.. I needed this.. really this was me, have you been creepin lol
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    VERY NICE (borat voice)
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing about the twinkie and vodka diet! Dang, I can't believe I missed it. :laugh:
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Lalalosin
    Options
    Hiya....first time here! Nice to be with other "losers" : )
    How do I make a chart that shows pounds lost?
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Hiya....first time here! Nice to be with other "losers" : )
    How do I make a chart that shows pounds lost?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker/create
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this information. Is there a way to bookmark this post to refer to later?
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Thanks for this information. Is there a way to bookmark this post to refer to later?
    since you've posted here, you can always click on the "My Topics" link and should be able to find it. Right now, MFP doesn't have a way to favorite a post. Alternatively, you could just bookmark the thread in your web browser.

Typically, CTRL+D will add it to your favorites.
This discussion has been closed.