"but it would be such a bother to LOG your food"

Options

Replies

• ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    There is no denying that it takes time and effort.
    For me, it was exactly what I needed to be able to finally succeed.
    As with every aspect of becoming healthy, you have to find what works for you.
    It may very well not be a system of logging, but for many people it does work.
  • DTier2014
    Options
    to log is such a great tool
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you don't log it, you can't track it. If you can't track it, you can't measure it. If you can't measure it, you can't change it. If you can't change it = fail.

That's just silly.
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I find it very important to be successful at this. I log every thing I eat. And over time it became kind of cathartic.

There's something cathartic about a punch in the nose. —Michael Farber, Sports Illustrated, 28 Jan. 2002

sorry I just remembered this and thought it was funny.

Haha. Maybe carthartic isn't quite the right word. :embarassed:
  • rljohnsufl
    Options
    It is a bother to log my food. I cook a lot of my own meals at home. I always vary my recipes based on what I have on hand, so I need to edit recipes and yield amounts every time I make something. I also make my own soy milk, bread, and yogurt (crazy I know, but I enjoy it) and there's no good way to know the exact nutrition amounts. I like eating without measuring everything.

However, anything that's worthwhile is difficult. I'm giving logging another try because it seems like the only way to keep myself accountable other than joining WW (which I'd rather not do). I overeat when I'm not counting calories. Sigh.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    These women at my work go on all these ridiculous and restrictive diets and I'm like you know you just have to eat a calorie deficit and you can easily log your calories online... the response "that sounds like so much work"... :huh: ...

I was That Person for so long. I would try to tally recipes manually but never keep it up because it WAS a lot of work. "But MFP is easier," everyone said. Did I listen? Well, eventually...
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    yes , sure is, and being fat and out of breath is a bother too, and adding salt or bbq or eating with a fork is a bother too....

kind of like wiping your bum after you use the facility... no , you dont HAVE to ... but why on earth would you NOT want to ???
  • BelindaComedy
    BelindaComedy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like logging, personally. I tried calorie counting in the early 90's and I was eating 500 cals a day (I was 15 and didn't know). Back then I had to memorize every foods calorie count or carry a book to look up food, subsequently announcing what I was doing. This way of logging food is so easy, that it doesn't bother me. It may not be the thing for others but, I think it keeps me pretty on track.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I had to click on this post...because I have heard this SO MANY TIMES.

I heard it from my stepsister...she is 46, has always been lean, and still probably a size six...but not the 00-2 that she was in her twenties. I get it. She finds it a chore to log her food and frustrating when she looks up a chain restaurant item and there are 3 different calorie counts in the MFP database. She isn't that bothered, she'll probably just abandon that idea she had to lose a few lb. Fine.

I heard it from my friend "Abby"...she is 37 and weighs over 300 lb and very depressed about her weight, avoids social contact due to anxiety. Logging food is too much trouble she says, she doesn't have time because she takes online college courses and works part-time. She regularly buys in to get thin quick schemes (IMO) like Body by Vi, Herbalife, etc. They work great -- for less than a month -- and she winds up at a higher weight than previously.

Perhaps the MOST annoying is from my acquaintance "Jill"...at 39, she just had a baby. When she was 20-something she lost 80 lb and kept it off, but then it all came back during the last couple of years due to marrying a guy who loves to eat rich restaurant meals all the time and her first, later-in-life pregnancy. On January 1st she decided this year she would lose all of that weight again - she has a lot of health problems that her doctor says stem from carrying excess weight. She complains all the time that she has lost 4 lb in 3 months and she is spending an hour per day at the gym working her tail off. She complains that her husband won't stop buying her "bad food" and her baby takes up too much time. She messaged me on facebook wanting to know how I lost over 70 lb this past year and when I told her she said, "OH I tried that, it's soooo tedious...I'm good with working out!" And then she whines again a week later that she is only down 0.2 lb despite her 7 hours this week of intense gym time. Ugh.

(DISCLAIMER: Yep...It is everyone's business what they do to lose weight or whether they even want to lose weight...but this can get pretty annoying)
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    I have found it to be useful.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If you don't log it, you can't track it. If you can't track it, you can't measure it. If you can't measure it, you can't change it. If you can't change it = fail.

That's just silly.

Almost as silly as someone who has maintained the same weight for decades and never logged a frikkin thing spending so much time on a food logging website.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I love to log...I just wish someone would clean up the database and get rid of the very inaccurate search items!
  • HONEEBEE95
    HONEEBEE95 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just started this process and I like that I can access it with my phone. That means there is no excuse for not logging food in even if I am away from home. I have used a food log in the past and it was really successful for me to see not only what I am eating but how much. Seeing that I've eaten junk is a tangible reminder on what I should be eating instead of what I want to be eating.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I love that I can look up a food before eating it and I can find problem foods after I have had them. If I didn't have this tool I would be blissfully unaware how many calories were in the four cookies that I used to have with my morning coffee (300!).
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I log all of my activities and even add notes to certain days. It has helped me tremendously. Besides, it takes me less time to log then it took me to eat at buffets before I decided to lose weight.
  • Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    These women at my work go on all these ridiculous and restrictive diets and I'm like you know you just have to eat a calorie deficit and you can easily log your calories online... the response "that sounds like so much work"... :huh: ...
    I jut had this conversation today. So silly.

I log each morning, and it helps me to have meals already planned and logged. Then I also know how many calories I can use for snacking, etc. through my workday. If I decide to switch something up, it's easy and quick. It's only a bother until it becomes a habit.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I jut had this conversation today. So silly.

I log each morning, and it helps me to have meals already planned and logged. Then I also know how many calories I can use for snacking, etc. through my workday. If I decide to switch something up, it's easy and quick. It's only a bother until it becomes a habit.

Same where I work. Surely it's a lot of bother though, to eat a cabbage soup and hotdog diet for a week once a month or eat nasty gritty shakes instead of food?
  • bcattoes
    Options

That's just silly.

Almost as silly as someone who has maintained the same weight for decades and never logged a frikkin thing spending so much time on a food logging website.

Who would that be? Certainly not me, on either count. I logged regularly for some time. And I have not been the same weight for decades.

Also, this is a fitness site with a food logging feature. I use the site for one, but not the other. I'm not sure why that irritates you so, or why it's even your business.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

That's just silly.

Who would that be? Certainly not me, on either count. I logged regularly for some time. And I have not been the same weight for decades.

Also, this is a fitness site with a food logging feature. I use the site for one, but not the other. I'm not sure why that irritates you so, or why it's even your business.

It doesn't irritate me. I just find it odd that you feel the overwhelming need to point out the fact that you don't log your food any time anyone makes a comment about logging their food..... on a food logging site.
  • bcattoes
    Options

That's just silly.

It doesn't irritate me. I just find it odd that you feel the overwhelming need to point out the fact that you don't log your food any time anyone makes a comment about logging their food..... on a food logging site.

Um, because the OP asked.