Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• Cby60
    Cby60 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I can relate to that! I notice the 12 lbs lost and can fit in pants I could not do up in September ...but no one else sees. My husband said its so gradual....he does not notice.....
    which he says is a good thing. I did have one woman who I had not seen in a few months say as soon as she saw me "have you lost weight? You look different" - that was music to my ears!

This is my first post in response to the person who wished folks had commented. Not sure what I did wrong and my reply is in the wrong spot?
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    "Don't lose any more weight or you'll look gay" "you're not gay are you?" SWEET MERCY!!! ***that was like 20-25 lbs ago***
  • coconuttjd
    Options
    I join in on the odd compliments train... When they compliment me on my weight loss I tell them how much I've lost and how much further I have to go till I'm done. Inevitably I get a big "wow" on how much I've lost and a big "what" when I say I'm only halfway there. So I cap it off by telling them that "my goal is to lose one whole person's worth of weight", which is true... 110 lbs. is a small person. And I'm more than halfway there now.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My "favorite" right now is "You've lost weight! You look great! I wish I could lose weight as easily as you." :huh:

I count calories and spend 10 hrs a week at the gym, plus walk at least a mile around the neighborhood daily. I think anyone can lose as "easily" as I am. But, they don't see that. I'm up and out of the house while most of them are still sleeping. They see me eating a cupcake at the baby shower, and fitting in smaller jeans and assume the weight just fell off.

The hell! your response should have been "then start trying, ASAP". The nerve of some people.

Yea I'm getting the "you're wasting away" from my boyfriend ALL THE TIME. I knew it bothered me but I didn't realize why until now. God I hate it. I sent him a link to this thread.

I absolutely hate the "do you have that much to lose?" or a variant thereof as I still have about 30lbs to go. Like..um..YES do you want me to die from obesity related issues?
  • wannehunter85
    Options
    The ones that bug me the most are when I was in my plateau......I was chatting with someone and they said "maybe you just CAN'T lose anymore...that happens"! Well I've lost about 30 pounds since then with just switching up my diet and exercise routine.
  • Kalilibird
    Kalilibird Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mostly my mum just telling me to be careful and not lose too fast or too much. I know that is only because she cares about me so thats allowed. But she is really proud of my weight loss and the commitment I have shown to it.

Im in a similar position- I am just in the top end of overweight for my height so am still losing but people keep telling me I don't need to lose any more. But I just love the compliments mostly. I just always think, if I look great now I will look even better when I hit my target.

My favourite conversations are people wanting to know what the secret answer is. Like I magicked the fat away. I just always say to them I ate a bit less and moved way way more.
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Having been 353 pounds at my heaviest I have developed a very thick skin but things like that will annoy me too at times. Most of the time I just ignore it. It really doesn't phase me anymore what people think. I recommend to just chalk it up to another eternal annoyance in life like traffic, mosquitos and cardio HA!
  • McKenzieLeigh
    McKenzieLeigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It is weird these days - the new normal is overweight. No wonder people say things like "Where have you gone? ! ! ? ! ?"

I am 64 and recently went to a meeting at which most people were around my age or a little bit younger. Out of around 70 women I was one of the 3 slimmest. Almost everyone was overweight, but that would have looked normal to me a couple of years sgo.

Our society just eats way, way too much!

By the way, the meeting was a cake baking competition. The cakes were sold off afterwards. I bought no cakes.

I watched a show about a 600 pound woman who had gastric by pass. She went to a family reunion after she had lost about 200 pounds and I noticed that all her family was very overweight too. They were so proud of her and so concerned about her, but they were all unhealthy too. It was just "normal" though. Our society is very different.
  • GeeGeeKH
    GeeGeeKH Posts: 7
    Options
    I've never been thin thin, always quite curvy but I started to put on a bit of weight at uni,and on my 5'5 frame was starting to look a bit chunky. In that time I went from a size UK 8/10- (a large size 12). Last year over exam time I started to focus more on my mental health as I was suffering from stress. To help with this is ate better and exercised more frequently. From that time I have lost so much weight and got so much stronger, I'm now a UK 6/8.

However when I was a size 12 I started part-time work, after my exams a few of my colleges would make remarks about my weight loss when I went in. Nothing major just that I was loosing weight. Now a year later these two women in particular make constant comments about how thin I'm getting when I see them. I know it should be a complement but it just grates on me, and it's also the way it's said.

One of the girls keeps asking me about my diet constantly. Asks what I had for lunch when I get back. What I drink i.e. coffee or tea and with milk etc. It's nice to loose weight but not to feel interrogated for it! This has actually happened with a few people I went out for a friends birthday and it was mostly girls I didn't know, someone (I think the birthday girl) brought up my weightloss for almost two hours that's ALL people asked me!

I've also had a few snide comments about me loosing a 'womanly' figure, I think 'I'm still a woman!? What am I supposed to look like?!'.

Most of the comments have been positive though. Although I've noticed with women you get that 'looking you up and down assessing' face!
  • babynun
    babynun Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Last weekend, ran into an acquaintance that I haven't seen in about 3 months and she says 'wow, you look good, like really sexy now.' It just made me think of the last time we saw each other because I must've looked like death. I thanked her for the compliment and moved on.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I hated "don't lose any more weight!" and "I'm concerned that you're obsessed with working out"

but I HATE "how did you do it?"
    I always told them I went on the no cupcake diet.
  • funnybun1
    funnybun1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I too have gotten 'what are you doing to lose the weight' and when I tell them that i'm eating better and walking/jogging sometimes twice a day they just say 'oh I wish I could lose some weight'. Cant tell you how many times I've been saying 'yup, no excuses - I get out there and do it'. They tend to stop talking to me about weight loss after that :laugh:
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Crazy as this sounds but most people tell me I look better when I am curvy (which equates to overweight on the BMI scale) :cry:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Omg, teach me what you're doooooing!! How do you do it?

And then I spend a good half hour telling them EVERYTHING, and they completely disregard every word I said. Thanks for wasting my time, jerkface. :grumble:
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    "Your metabolism must be really fast!"

Yea, right, dude. Did you noticed I ate 1/3 of your plate?
  • judyamk
    judyamk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i have already said this ." Oh gee if I listen to what you are telling me, therefore I will end up like I WAS BEFORE, UNHEALTHY, I am surprised you would want me to go back wards, this is my healthy you are talking about why would you want me like that??? "
    Like a clam on the sea shore there mouth remains shut from then on!!!!!!
    Judy
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have a severely underweight great aunt who has been known to pinch people's (already thin or average) waistlines and say things like "you dear need to lose at least 30 pounds" or when at a restaurant she orders a salad with no dressing and then only eats half of it, looks at your burger with disgust and likes to say " there's a thousand calories you don't need." She has been like that not only my whole life, but my mothers and asunt's whole life as well.

Well, I've always been of average size. Maybe the high end of my healthy bmi range. Now I've lost 24 pounds and have 9 to go or so.
    She saw me last weekend and said " are you working on losing weight?"
    I said " yeah, just a bit"
    And she said " good, maybe you can get your mother to join you!" Right in front of my mom.

My mom has always been the same size as me and has been since high school. Same with my grandmna. We all look the same and always have. (I could seriously trade pants with my 70 year old grandma or mom and no one would be the wiser) Good thing my mom has Been putting up with that old ladies crap all these years and just ignored it. I was barely able to keep my response in check lol.

Some people are just rude no matter what.
  • Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    years ago i lost 100lbs and was a size 6 at 125lbs. i felt great til... my sister who is the same height and 15lbs lighter says "at least i can eat burger king whenever i want and not worry" i felt crushed. 12 years later i am still struggling and she is still 5'7" 110 lbs eating whatever she wants. sigh....
  • cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options
    "Don't lose any more weight or you'll look gay" "you're not gay are you?" SWEET MERCY!!! ***that was like 20-25 lbs ago***

So being thin = gay? Well that is certainly good to know. People are really idiotic sometimes.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I understand that the biggest point here is that people can say some really stupid things.

But I must admit... I CAN'T WAIT until the day somebody tells me I look like I've "lost too much weight" or that I'm "too thin"!!!
    As thick as I am I can't imagine that ever happening, but if it does, I'm throwing a party!! :bigsmile: :drinker: :smooched:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!