Who made you become overweight?

Options

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    By the time I was 11 or 12, I was pretty much making my own food choices. I was never forced to eat things I didn't like, and my mom was more than happy to let me make my own food, since that meant less work for her. I had jobs by the time I was 15, so I could buy different foods and bring them home on my bike if I wanted to. I think my weight in adolescence had more to do with not exercising, though. Again, can only blame myself for that, though. My parents didn't say "you can't go out and play." So I don't see how it's their fault.

Now, could my mom have taught me a good relationship with food? Could my mom have set a good example by exercising herself? Sure. But I don't blame anyone but myself.
  • mpjmmp
    mpjmmp Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm going to blame it on an injury in the military. Several surgeries, immobility, steroids, pain meds (= munchies) and being unhappy because of hurting all the time (several years – still in rehab), that threw me into a “comfort food” lifestyle so I guess I recognize it actually boils down to my food choices that brought on so much weight….. oh, how I wish I could do it all over again - however, definitely had a life event that started the train going downhill.

I'm also interested in finding friends here on MFP. I'm three weeks in and have 50 to go. Friend me if you like.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I take FULL responsibility
  • TwirleySlims
    Options
    I was just fine till I gave up Smoking & then boom! weight gain was rapid! So in answer to your question, ME :D
  • Lestrange__
    Lestrange__ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Me and my horrible life choices.
    My mother didn't really help either.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    All me, though steroids for asthma didn't help. I gained more after I was taken off of them, through ceasing regular exercise and discovering the wonders of alcohol.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'm going to blame it on an injury in the military. Several surgeries, immobility, steroids, pain meds (= munchies) and being unhappy because of hurting all the time (several years – still in rehab), that threw me into a “comfort food” lifestyle so I guess I recognize it actually boils down to my food choices that brought on so much weight….. oh, how I wish I could do it all over again - however, definitely had a life event that started the train going downhill.

I'm also interested in finding friends here on MFP. I'm three weeks in and have 50 to go. Friend me if you like.

There are ex military here..me included..and I could blame them too...when I got pregnant (20 years ago) they no longer allowed me to workout the way I had been...I couldn't even "legally" lift my helmet...so I didn't workout at all...that was my choice...

I gained a lot of weight through out my last trimester....ate everything, didn't even go for walks...left the military with "bad knees" and extra 40lbs and kept that weight on based on my choices...
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I blame my Mom...just joking,I put the weight on thru bad eating habits & no exercise, but seriously, I did get my Mom's metabolism. She used to be very thin into her mid 20's, and suddenly, she started gaining weight, and battled weight issues ever since. I was the same, I hit about 25, and then started to gain,and have gained ever since. I alos got married at 25, got a bit lazy, stopped working out, but overall, although most is my fault,inherting Mom's metabolism did not help, and I gain weight in the same places as her, mostly my butt,thighs, etc which is a weird place for a guy to gain the bulk of weight.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    There will always be some outside influence to blame it on.

I choose to blame it on myself and all the sorry excuses I made.
  • cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options
    I blame myself, not only for getting to where I am, but also for putting myself in situations that cause me to overeat. For example, my BF can eat...a lot. And the demented part of my brain says "you can eat the same way he does." No, brain, no. I don't blame my parents, but they do have some messed up eating habits. My Mom sometimes seems like she blames herself though. She'll say things like, "I wish I put more of an emphasis on appearance when you kids were growing up." My brother and I are both heavy, but he is in his early thirties and I am 27, so I really wish she would stop blaming herself. We are grown adults now and we are both improving, so things are looking up.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    ME! I eat entirely too much.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My mother has always been pretty overweight, so healthy eating habits weren't a part of growing up. I was always a chubby kid, haven't been under 200lbs since I was maybe 13. Gladly even though I still struggle with trying to lose weight, all three of my kids are healthy and within a normal weight range for their heights and ages. My middle one is even kinda skinny. I make sure they play a lot and have healthy choices to eat. I don't "blame" my mom for raising me unhealthily, but I darn sure don't want my kids having the same struggles in life!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    The damn parasite I grew into a human. I took that whole eating for two thing SERIOUSLY.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Me, myself, and I
  • kurtspatzier
    Options
    IM SOO FAT THAT WHEN WE GO INTO DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME, THERE IS NO LIGHT!!!!1
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Me. My parents are healthy individuals. I gained weight after I got married. :)

OH THAT RIGHT.

IT'S THE HUSBAND who got me fat. JK.
  • kiroshino
    kiroshino Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My family always encouraged me to eat because I was a "growing boy". So, my portion sizes were always large. Large family gatherings with non-stop food coming out of the kitchen from breakfast to dessert didn't help. Always "You should try this" combined with "Don't waste food. Finish what's on your plate".
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Big Pasta, Big Ice Cream, and Big Bread.

i am the victim of three cartels and their conspiracies.

ETA - also, maybe Big Potato Chip. they should be implicated as well. :angry:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Definitely me. I formed an unhealthy relationship with food early, and I would sneak and hide foods and completely binge on things. I remember staying home "sick" from school just so I could eat crap while my parents were out. I'm actually not sure how this started, and I know it's derived from shame in what and how I was eating, but I can't say my parents contributed to that either. I still think that was mostly me.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Yourself.