Who made you become overweight?

Options

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Me, myself, and Sara Lee made me fat. No one else. At what point in our lives to we accept responsibility for our actions and stop blaming our parents or our partners? They did not put a gun to our heads and force the food down our throat. I get so sick of people blaming others for their faults. Accept responsibility, learn the lesson, move on. Ugh.

/rant
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Oh I sure as hell TRIED to blame just about everyone and everything. My mother for being a bit of a food police when we were growing up and also passing along some of her bad eating habits. Genetics because most of the rest of my family are obese. My best friend for not nagging me enough to stay on track with losing weight - she was just starting out as a personal trainer and wanted to help me and in turn use me as her first success story and I thought as a PT she was supposed to hound me so it was her fault when I stopped working out and stuffing my face again. Various gym buddies for not being committed enough to keep me motivated. My husband for being able to eat more so I thought I had to "keep up" and ate more than I needed to.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure there were more BS excuses. Ultimate though, as most of us have admitted to, it was all on me and still is. Sucks to admit it but it's true!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    My now almost-two-year-old because it was my pregnancy with her that I gained all the weight. Horrible pregnancy - severe edema, carpal tunnel, joint issues, massive congestion to the point I lost my hearing for awhile, and I kept having dizzy spells that made it dangerous for me to drive or even walk around alone, so hello bed rest.

I didn't necessarily overeat or really eat any differently than I did before I got pregnant, my TDEE just took a massive hit and since I was a bit depressed by all the things happening to my body beyond my control and scared that I was going to lose the baby, I didn't really think about the need to change my eating to compensate for the lower activity. Oh well. I have a healthy, happy kiddo and the weight is coming off. Only lingering problem is the joint issues, but I am hopeful those will improve with time and some work.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Part of it was the lack of education or acceptance in my home about being healthy.
    I grew up in a culture that does not understand or care for food groups.

So very early on I did know know better. However, when I got to the age where I could know better I kept thinking to myself that one day I'll lose the weight. And that one day turned into years and I got fatter and fatter.

Then I made stupid decisions and followed fad diets. They did not work.

Finally I shifted my mind and educated myself and now I am in the midst of losing. Slowly, but im not gaining.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Definately I'm in control and so it's my fault. However, I will say my mother was a mean alcoholic and my father was a compulsive overeater who I spent most of my time with. I watched him hide food (junk food -- candy, chips, etc.) from her and eat it. I saw her criticize him and his weight constantly (as she did me) . And I, admittingly, picked up a lot of the same habits as my father, whom I spent alot of time with when we would get away from my mother. I also watched my parents die 12 months from one another -when I was 18 years old -- one from alcohol abuse; the other from food (heart attack). I have suffered depression on and off over the years and was too ashamed to admit it and get help so I treated myself -- with food.

Growing up, we always ate very good and had homecooked meals and there was not a lot of junk in the house - other than when I would go out with my dad.

Kids learn from their parents/caregivers, but ultimately as we get older, we are responsible for our own actions so I fully blame myself.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I did it. Sure I didn't have the greatest examples in my life, and sure I had some health and medication issues that contributed a "likelihood of weight gain," but that doesn't excuse me shoveling food in my gob. I wouldn't have become morbidly obese if I had controlled my intake all along.

I so totally agree with this - I couldn't have said it better
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I understand all the comments about personal responsibility but if you were raised to believe lies about yourself and lies about food, psychologically, even if you learn the truth mentally as knowledge, your emotions and thought paths have been already formed. So no it's not always all us when we grow up. It takes time to REALLY know then it's on you. (trust me I studied this)

For me I had the whole, born with a disability factor, when that happens, and people who have life-threatening disabilities will know this, you get people feeding you all sorts of lies "to make you feel better about yourself".
    My parents were/are also incredibly emotionally unstable people. Being told I was fat and it was my fault when I was really young didn't help. As a teen I had developed eating disorders, but due to meds I never lost much weight.
    Other trauma happened, more meds and I put on 20kgs in two months from those, even when I was exercising daily and eating little I still put 20kg on. Then married a man who wanted me to be thin all the time, so that's the point I take full responsibilty from that point...I started to eat out of self hatred and spite.
    Still trying to get my mindsets right. That is all up to me, but truth be told no one can do this alone.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unless there are medical reasons... Anybody who says anybody but themselves, is lying to themselves.

Not really. If someone is a young adult who has been overweight or obese since childhood, most of blame lies with their parents or guardians. Children aren't adults and aren't capable of making adult decisions.

What they do about it now that they are an adult is totally their choice, but that does not negate how they got fat in the first place.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Me. I did it. I was the skinny kid growing up, but never active. I was also the picky eater so my nutrition was not the greatest. My parents encouraged me to eat my vegetables and so on, but once you reach a certain age your parents don't have much sway over that.

So I have to take the blame for being lazy and being content with that. Not being content with being lazy, but being content knowing its no one's fault but my own. And taking steps now to be active, lazy or not.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Me, myself, and I. After our first was born I stopped going to the gym, and my desk job is quite sedentary. Throw in a love for powerful beer and potato chips. Bibbity-bobbity obese.
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    pretty sure im fat bc i didn't exercise and ate a bunch of fast food for years not caring

also to blame your parents when you're an adult it'd be like if a murderer blamed his parents for him killing a bunch of people
    at some point you need to grow up and take responsibility for your actions

but in other cases like the 100lb 4 year old in the news... that's obviously the parents fault :)
  • STEELMAN47
    Options
    ME
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    No one but me!
  • dpvike80
    dpvike80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Me. I accept full responsibility.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    That ahole in the mirror.. he is always tricking me to do stuff.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Big Pasta, Big Ice Cream, and Big Bread.

i am the victim of three cartels and their conspiracies.

ETA - also, maybe Big Potato Chip. they should be implicated as well. :angry:

:laugh: I have to say, Ben & Jerry should be brought up on charges. I bet I'm still wearing ten pounds of their ice cream somewhere on my sorry carcass!
  • moonlitheaven
    Options
    I blame myself. However, my parents came from a poor country where Skinny meant Sick and/or Poor. Fat meant wealth. So what do most poor countries eat? A lot of Rice because it's filling. A lot of beans, because they are filling. Starchy ingredients were easier to come by or grow. So even though my parents moved to the states before I was born, they already had that mentality set and we grew up around it. I want my kids to have a better life than I did growing up. So we are changing our eating habits, slowly, but surely.
  • josiedahling
    Options
    I lost 90 pounds on WW in 2006. I kept it off for four years. Then I started to date my (now ex) boyfriend and put on about 40 pounds. He, himself, was very overweight (5'9" and 250 pounds). Before I was with him, I rarely ate Chinese food or restaurant food. He wanted to go out to eat ALL THE TIME. It was very difficult keeping on track and being with him. I would eat dinner and then he would come over late and say he was starving and wanted to go out! Sometimes he would just show up with a bunch of Chinese after I had already eaten dinner. It was very frustrating. He knew my struggles, he knew my schedule. I know we are responsible for what we put in our own mouths, but having someone bring fattening foods to your doorstep is not easy to say no to. He didn't seem to like my weight gain either, although he never said it directly. He would say "did you eat all those cheese balls yourself?" Stuff like that. He has been gone from my life now for 2 years but I am still struggling with this weight gain so now I wonder was it really his fault? My friends still say YES, they believe he was responsible for it. All I know is that I'm glad he is out of my life now and I'm a lot happier! Good luck everybody!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    No one to blame except myself. I have six sisters, we were all raised together, I am the only one with the issue with excess weight. I may have inherited a gene from an ancestor that my other sisters were fortunate enough not to get, that gave me an edge for being susceptible to gaining weight easier, but that is only an excuse. I overate. A lot. Pretty simple.
  • MelxH
    MelxH Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do blame my parents.
    All my live I spent it beeing overweight, I was overweight even at 7 years old... I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and my parents decide not take me to a nutritionist because they didnt want to spend more than 30min in the kitchen.
    I resived alot of verbal abuse if I tried to leave the table before finishing the plate, even if I was full, even if the portions wher for adults.
    When I finished highschool, at 17, my boyfriend asked me to move in with him and his family, I did that, and in a couple of month of living with them I lose 20lbs, its beeing 3 years and I've lost around 60lbs... and still loosing

I love my parents, I just think I could have beeing more "normal" if they werent so lazy

(my english is horrible)