looks like this yesterday...so what I'm doing wrong

Options

Replies

• daveyb989
    daveyb989 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    plus if you don't eat enough - exercising will be miserable - no energy and much pain. Give the engine fuel
  • Michelle_Murray
    Michelle_Murray Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is a totally subjective question. Some people find good results when they eat their exercise calories back while other like myself, find it best not to eat back exercise calories and stick to their daily goal. That being said eat your 1200 calories, if you consistently go under your daily goal your body may go into starvation mode. You need this intake to fuel your body to burn more (fat) calories. Also, you may want to calorie cycle - figure out how many calories you should be netting a week - 1200/day = 8400/week. Then stagger the days so a few days a week eat a litlte over 1200 and other stick to your 1200. :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I burn 1000 from spinning and elliptical and i eat 1200 or less. usually 1000. and im losing wieght

That is a 1 way trip to muscle loss.. but if your goal is to just drop scale weight sure go for it.. but if you want a toned look losing all that muscle will just get you the skinny fat look.

You can always tone later or during ... toning is an ongoing process ... as much or as little as you want.

You can reach your goal weight first and then tone for muscle tone and definition later.

It's much easier to maintain muscle mass than try to add it back later. Also, what is "tone"? Last I checked, there's no such thing.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to lose weight, you not only have to create a calorie deficiency but also fuel your body with enough calories so it could burn the pounds away. Don't give up! Stick it out and you'll get the hang of it.

Yes I'm looking to lose weight.

Ok so the 1 200 is it good for a calorie deficit. Sometime I don't get it you need to eat more to lose weight sometime this makes no sense to me .... so I guess as long as I net 1 200 I should lose weight ( I can have bread and stuff?)

MFP gives 1200 calories to people who do not exercise. Run your numbers in your MFP profile based on your exercise level and goal weight loss per week. MFP will add additional exercise calories after you enter your exercise which will be your Net Calories. Aim to eat the Net Calories amount or at least half of them. Afterwards, stick to the plan. It will pay off but it takes time so be patience. If you have trouble reaching your net calories, consider foods like peanut butter, olive oil, string cheese, block cheese, and fruits like avocado to get you to it. Track everything (food, water, exercise, and measurements). The more you do it, the easier it becomes. You can do it!
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    A couple of thoughts, because i had the same questions when i started: 1. Accuracy in logging in your food is important. (i'm beginning to rely more on measurements that i actually take - i carry a styrofoam 8 oz cup to measure rice portions, etc. and have a scale at home to measure meats, etc. even more accurately. I found i was kidding myself early on - thought it was a cup, really was closer to two...) The styrofoam cup thing is pretty downlow so i don't look like a nut measuring everything in our campus dining hall. 2. Your MFP caluclated goal of net calories already has weightloss projection factored in - so eating your goal will still produce a loss (even more sustainable that way - going too agressively under your calories will backfire eventually (you'll start having cheat days that turn into cheat binges) and that's what they mean when they say eat more to lose more. With that said, I usually "eat back" some of my exercise calories so that eating to my calorie goal will still result in a sustainable deficit - but i'm still putting in what the plan says i should...Hope that helps coming from a guy who is learning as he's going also. Also if anyone thinks my method is flawed, i'd like to know and consider input...
  • Michelle_Murray
    Michelle_Murray Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is a totally subjective question. Some people find good results when they eat their exercise calories back while other like myself, find it best not to eat back exercise calories and stick to their daily goal. That being said eat your 1200 calories, if you consistently go under your daily goal your body may go into starvation mode. You need this intake to fuel your body to burn more (fat) calories. Also, you may want to calorie cycle - figure out how many calories you should be netting a week - 1200/day = 8400/week. Then stagger the days so a few days a week eat a litlte over 1200 and other stick to your 1200. :)

You really shouldn't be giving advice if you don't know what you're talking about. This is HORRIBLE advice to give someone that doesn't understand how MFP works. Shame on you!

Excuse me...I am a certified personal trainer and wellness coach. Tell me what was horrible about this? This is a discussion, so back up your "horrible advice" statement please.
  • frenchmaid69
    frenchmaid69 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just don't know why I'm not hungry often.

I wasn't in any way suggesting you had an eating disorder. What I'm telling you is that "hunger" isn't a good indicator of how much you should eat.

You should try to net what MFP is telling you, even if you're not "hungry." Full fat dairy, peanut butter, avocados, nuts... all of these can add calories to your diet without making you feel stuffed. I really suggest you eat more. Good luck with everything.

Oh I see ok.... no problem .... I was not upset anyway :wink: I just wanted to make sure that you know that it never cross my mind.... but ok yes I will force myself to eat to cover all the calories that I should eat... thanks a lots for you help too... I really appreciate that... I nice to know that when you don't understand stuff people are willing to explain to you even if they have to repeat them selves because someone like me don't understand... lol :wink:
  • frenchmaid69
    Options
    If you are looking to lose weight, you not only have to create a calorie deficiency but also fuel your body with enough calories so it could burn the pounds away. Don't give up! Stick it out and you'll get the hang of it.

Ok so the 1 200 is it good for a calorie deficit. Sometime I don't get it you need to eat more to lose weight sometime this makes no sense to me .... so I guess as long as I net 1 200 I should lose weight ( I can have bread and stuff?)

You can eat anything you want as long as you keep it within your calories. If you're still not seeing any results after a few weeks, recalculate your settings. If you're going for 2lbs/week that's most likely too much and you may do better dropping it to 1lb/week. You'll have to eat more but once you start eating more (at least with me) your body will start to get used to it and it'll get easier. Eat some nuts, have some peanut butter on your toast or muffin, avacados, a few slices of full fat cheese, a glass or 2 of milk... focus on some high calorie foods if you're having trouble reaching your goal.

ETA: Make your diary public

Ok thanks so much...
    Its weird in my setting I put that I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week, and also I change to sedentary setting to lightly active I had it do sedentary but someone suggest that I change it ... I had it there because I sat all day long in front of a computer all day I do walk a bit tho... I go at coffee for 20 am and Pm also I took the initiative to go for a walk for 60 min after work. But when I save the setting it say you will lose this and that by that date and I say average lost will be like 1.5 lbs.... how come if I put 2 lbs a week is it because If they set it up for 2 lbs I will go too low in calories?
  • frenchmaid69
    Options

You can eat anything you want as long as you keep it within your calories. If you're still not seeing any results after a few weeks, recalculate your settings. If you're going for 2lbs/week that's most likely too much and you may do better dropping it to 1lb/week. You'll have to eat more but once you start eating more (at least with me) your body will start to get used to it and it'll get easier. Eat some nuts, have some peanut butter on your toast or muffin, avacados, a few slices of full fat cheese, a glass or 2 of milk... focus on some high calorie foods if you're having trouble reaching your goal.

ETA: Make your diary public

Oh and I did not know that my diary is not public how do I do this?
  • SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    following...
  • frenchmaid69
    Options
    Try this analogy for why you need to eat enough to fuel your body...

If you keep gas in your car, it will run - right? Yes & no. It will work for the short & intermediate future, but in the long run your car needs more maintenance than just gas. You need to maintain the brakes and tires, change the oil and filters, etc. If you don't handle all the maintenance in time it will no longer be reliable.

Our bodies are the same way. They need food, but its not just a matter of giving the body a little food each day and expecting it to work at peak performance forever. Your body needs more than that. It needs protein, fruits & veggies, fiber, healthy fats. And its not possible to give the body enough & proper nutrition if you're eating too little. You may find results short term but there will be issues long term. Lack of energy, muscle loss, binge episodes when you feel like you've deprived yourself, etc.

You've not always eaten in a less than 1200 calorie range. You also don't need to go from one extreme (eating too much) to another where you're eating too little. As to food choices, there is no bad food. Look for balance. Mostly 'good' stuff but don't feel like you have to totally avoid the 'bad' stuff. Bread, pasta, etc. has a bad reputation but in moderation its fine. I think the bigger issue is portion control. Eating an entire pizza for dinner? Not great. Having a couple of slices - no problem.

Ok thanks so much I really appreciate that ... and that true that you need more then gas for your car to run good... :wink:
  • frenchmaid69
    Options
    If you don't log any exercise for the day and are supposed to eat 1200 calories MINIMUM, then eat 1200 calories.

If you exercise and are supposed to eat 1400 calories (1200 minimum), then eat over 1200 and up to 1400 calories. You don't have to eat the entire 1400 net calories but should aim for at least half of that.

The good news is that you "earn more calories" with exercise calories. You don't have to eat back your entire exercise calories.

Use that as a guide and you should start seeing results. It worked for me and many others.

You may think it's counterproductive to eat more to lose weight but it works. As others have stated, your body needs fuel to function properly and lose weight.

ok thanks Sunshine :wink:
  • frenchmaid69
    Options
    plus if you don't eat enough - exercising will be miserable - no energy and much pain. Give the engine fuel

ok thx
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

You really shouldn't be giving advice if you don't know what you're talking about. This is HORRIBLE advice to give someone that doesn't understand how MFP works. Shame on you!

Excuse me...I am a certified personal trainer and wellness coach. Tell me what was horrible about this? This is a discussion, so back up your "horrible advice" statement please.

Where to start??? I definitely don't think you should tell someone on 1200 calories that they don't need to eat back their exercise calories, especially when this is how MFP is set up. There's no such thing as starvation mode, at least not in the sense you mean and finally there is no need to calorie cycle, especially on such a low food intake!
  • frenchmaid69
    Options

oh ok...my brother told me something about this to try a few days to eat like 1 200 then go up to 1 400 to try to trick your body something like this I'm not sure.. does it make sense?
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I burn 1000 from spinning and elliptical and i eat 1200 or less. usually 1000. and im losing wieght

That is a 1 way trip to muscle loss.. but if your goal is to just drop scale weight sure go for it.. but if you want a toned look losing all that muscle will just get you the skinny fat look.

You can always tone later or during ... toning is an ongoing process ... as much or as little as you want.

You can reach your goal weight first and then tone for muscle tone and definition later.

It's much easier to maintain muscle mass than try to add it back later.

^this
  • frenchmaid69
    Options

MFP gives 1200 calories to people who do not exercise. Run your numbers in your MFP profile based on your exercise level and goal weight loss per week. MFP will add additional exercise calories after you enter your exercise which will be your Net Calories. Aim to eat the Net Calories amount or at least half of them. Afterwards, stick to the plan. It will pay off but it takes time so be patience. If you have trouble reaching your net calories, consider foods like peanut butter, olive oil, string cheese, block cheese, and fruits like avocado to get you to it. Track everything (food, water, exercise, and measurements). The more you do it, the easier it becomes. You can do it!

ok I will try all this...thanks you very much! My exercise level is at light activity, and goal to lose 2 lbs a week... I got a fitbit bracelet that sink all my exercises to MFP for me.
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Oh and I did not know that my diary is not public how do I do this?

Go to food-> settings-> Diary Sharing (bottom of the page) and set to public.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    and goal to lose 2 lbs a week... I got a fitbit bracelet that sink all my exercises to MFP for me.

If you're using a FitBit, and it syncs to this website, then I suggest (1) changing your settings to "lose 1 lb per week" and (2) eat exactly what MFP is telling you to. So, net whatever it is it's telling you to. It may give you more calories when you change the setting. And that's ok. You're not obese enough to lose weight as fast as 2 lbs per week in a healthy manner.