Broscience FTW

Options

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Simply stated though, unless you have a medical conditions like PCOD or whatever it is, the laws of thermodynamics apply to you, you are not a special snowflake when it comes to weight loss...you may be a special snowflake in other areas of your life, but not here..

Even then the laws of thermodynamics apply. It's just a matter of what number of calories you need and hormones CAN affect that.

Either way, your body needs a certain number of calories for basic functioning and more for activity and if you are ingestnig fewer than you're expending, you will lose weight.

This.

The equation is always the same, the values for the variables are different for every single person, but the equation is ALWAYS the same!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    We then got into the issue of "a calorie is not a calorie," and while I acknowledged that different foods have different nutrient densities, I insisted that, barring a medical condition that would prevent normal weight loss, a calorie deficit WILL result in weight loss because, ya know, thermodynamics. She said this was wrong, since almost everyone has "undiagnosed food allergies," which is causing inflammation that stops weight loss from happening.

You could always point to people who lost weight while reducing portions of "inflammatory" foods. Or those who lost weight simply by exercising more, while still eating the same non-paleo processed foods.

I wouldn't give up on her. She mentioned "studies", so she has SOME respect for science. Maybe tap into that by looking at the actual studies with her on PubMed.

Besides, most versions of "paleo" are pretty decent, and she implied that she eats healthy, so i wouldn't alienate her. She's our ally in the war on fat. :wink:

The person I know who makes these kind of arguments just says that they're doomed to gain it back because restricting calories never works and when they stop torturing themselves they'll regain.

Funny-- to me trying to go paleo would be torture.

I'm a baker.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    We then got into the issue of "a calorie is not a calorie," and while I acknowledged that different foods have different nutrient densities, I insisted that, barring a medical condition that would prevent normal weight loss, a calorie deficit WILL result in weight loss because, ya know, thermodynamics. She said this was wrong, since almost everyone has "undiagnosed food allergies," which is causing inflammation that stops weight loss from happening.

Ah, isn't misinformation great?
    Which medical conditions allow one to violate the laws of thermodynamics?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/

LMAO Feinman and Fine

http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2012/07/a-feinman-fine-mess-of-thermodynamics.html
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Dump her.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Simply stated though, unless you have a medical conditions like PCOD or whatever it is, the laws of thermodynamics apply to you, you are not a special snowflake when it comes to weight loss...you may be a special snowflake in other areas of your life, but not here..

Even then the laws of thermodynamics apply. It's just a matter of what number of calories you need and hormones CAN affect that.

Either way, your body needs a certain number of calories for basic functioning and more for activity and if you are ingestnig fewer than you're expending, you will lose weight.

This.

The equation is always the same, the values for the variables are different for every single person, but the equation is ALWAYS the same!

I agree with both of you, my ability to put thoughts into coherent sentences is not functioning properly today. :happy:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    You got it easy. I work in a gym where some peers still believe some of that **** and pass it on to their clients.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've gotten into this with an old co worker. It's pretty frustrating.
  • doug_pierce
    doug_pierce Posts: 255
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mh5brhksN51qg1vd7.jpg

Off topic but new vid out yesterday; One of his better ones IMHO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzxRhtZLItY
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mh5brhksN51qg1vd7.jpg

^^This for sure.
    That is how I got where I am.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't knock it, till you try it.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wish I would have been on myfitness pal in 2011, when two posters on another fitness message board got into it about the whole calories in/calories out debate. Despite the fact that Poster #1 patiently explained that she lost 35 pounds by eating everything in moderation and posting before and after pics, Poster #2 insisted that "science" dictated that calories in vs. calories out had very little to do with your weight and that even if you only consumed 500 calories a day, if those 500 calories consisted of Special K, you would never get skinny.

Poster #1 gave up. I think you'll have to with your friend as well. If she's eating very strict paleo she most likely is not eating at a surplus and will never be able to prove or disprove her theory.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Today I got into an argument with a friend about nutrition, which is a mistake because this particular friend is a big believer in broscience nonsense. She often touts myths without knowing much about science or nutrition.

So today she insisted that you can lose weight while on a surplus as long as you're eating paleo. She vehemently insisted that a calorie deficit is not the only way to lose weight; as long as you're eating "healthy food," you can eat as much as you want (even when it exceeds your daily caloric needs). She knows this because "they've done studies" and "each person is different."

My mother has the healthiest diet of anyone I know and she's been obese almost her entire life.

Then she doesn't have a healthy diet. Part of health is moderation. Eating an apple a day is healthy, eating 30 is not.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Egads.

ETA: Obviously she is wrong. I also have my own n=1 to contradict it as I ate very strict "paleo" for all of 2012 and (intentionally) added ~20 pounds by eating above my TDEE. I also lost almost as much the following year by eating whatever I wanted but just under my TDEE. (Yeah, I bulked on strict paleo then cut on IIFYM. #DoingItWrong )

ballsy

<hatisofftoyousir>
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I generally just give up when it comes to people like that. It doesn't matter how much scientific evidence you throw at people, they refuse to believe it and they're not interested in any 'truths' that aren't their own.

I read a study recently that basically found that if you use science to prove psuedoscience wrong, the believer will cling to it even more tightly.

So it's hopeless, pretty much.

they should do a study on the 'rage quit cycle'
    They tried to, but gave up in frustration 1/2 way through.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have a friend like this. She's a personal trainer and is great at coming up with challenging, fun workouts, but when she starts giving out advice on what/how to eat, I want to stab myself in the eye with a fork.

Examples: Don't eat carbs after 2pm. Any carbs. Even vegetables. Don't eat anything after 7pm. Ever. You will gain weight.

Just today she has proclaimed that lean pork is not a healthy meat... WTF?
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: my friend says her skin has magically cleared up after eating a strict paleo diet for a week.

1. It hasn't cleared up.

2. What?
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    one less person who believes everything they see on Facebook is a huge victory for humanity!

preach.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

What I meant was that certain conditions can make weight loss more complicated/difficult, and for them it's a matter of figuring out those other things (like the condition itself, along with medications and their resulting side effects, etc) on top of also figuring out what kind of deficit they need in order to lose weight effectively. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: my friend says her skin has magically cleared up after eating a strict paleo diet for a week.

1. It hasn't cleared up.

2. What?

:laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Today I got into an argument with a friend about nutrition, which is a mistake because this particular friend is a big believer in broscience nonsense. She often touts myths without knowing much about science or nutrition.

So today she insisted that you can lose weight while on a surplus as long as you're eating paleo. She vehemently insisted that a calorie deficit is not the only way to lose weight; as long as you're eating "healthy food," you can eat as much as you want (even when it exceeds your daily caloric needs). She knows this because "they've done studies" and "each person is different."

My mother has the healthiest diet of anyone I know and she's been obese almost her entire life.

Then she doesn't have a healthy diet. Part of health is moderation. Eating an apple a day is healthy, eating 30 is not.
    Clearly I am a drooling idiot and had NO IDEA of this. BAER

That was my point. The claim was calories don't matter if you eat the right foods.